Demons on the nose?

Soidee

Thanks to those who stuffed this club prior to the new regime. Free agency and trades will make strong clubs stronger while the rest rot in the background. Equalisation is further away day by day.

I am furious that the MFC is not a club of choice for future jets, previous administrations should hang their heads in shame.

• Like 4

Thanks to those who stuffed this club prior to the new regime. Free agency and trades will make strong clubs stronger while the rest rot in the background. Equalisation is further away day by day.

I am furious that the MFC is not a club of choice for future jets, previous administrations should hang their heads in shame.

You're right, Soidee, generally only a masochist or a player who is offered much more than he is currently getting would opt to join a club like ours. It will be interesting to see if our new CEO, head of recruitment and coach can induce any significant improvement on what has happened in past years.

If we have the freedom in the salary cap we should make such an offer to several great midfield players in the hope that one of them will take the bait. Perhaps the 'come home to Melbourne' factor might work to our advantage.

As for trading pick 2, it is worth trying, but only for a very good player, not a couple of average ones that some clubs will try to off load.

No news or little news on the trading front does not concern me. It's a bit like bidding on e-bay, the action heats up in the last hour or so. The three weeks lead up is a boring and, largely, waste of time. In addition, why publicise what you're trying to achieve? It only gives opposition clubs more ammunition to use against you.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the evidence supports the opening post. Mitch Clark and Chris Dawes (and Jack Viney?) all made positive choices to come to Melbourne. As did Paul Roos. And Jack Watts appeared to have a choice and stayed.

Not sure the above supports your case .

We paid way over the odds for Clark and Dawes, Viney was locked in emotionally because of his father,

Paul Roos got seduced by the dollars.

I will give you Watts, but he was already at the Dees so may not be one we should use either way.

We paid way over the odds for Clark and Dawes, Viney was locked in emotionally because of his father,

I will give you Watts, but he was already at the Dees so may not be one we should use either way.

And further to this - I am thinking that Watts is probably getting more with us than offered at Carlton

The last two years we have gone after some a couple of pretty decent players as our big signings and gotten them both. While injury has seen us fail to reap the rewards so far, if we can get both Clark and Dawes up and running next season our forward line is going to be one of the most intimidating in the league. We landed both of these players through aggressive moves in the trade period, and they both had offers to go elsewhere for good money if they wished. I have no doubt that we will bring in some pretty decent talent this trade period as well. Stressing out two days into the four weeks of trades because we haven't made any moves yet is just slightly premature.

• Like 1

It was always going to happen. The club must start the rebuild with B Players. That is not all bad. We need workers.

But yes the Red & Blueprint has put us way off course until we can get some wins.

It is no suprise nobody has bitten yet. They will.

Trading is for 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Paul Roos is just not that sort of bloke. Not to underestimate the challenge ahead of him, he was never going to do it for a 'standard' coaches contract. Roos has a knack of identifying talent in players not previously displayed and getting the best out of them. After this protracted trade period, you may very well be pleasantly surprised.

Interesting that i just listened to the Podcast of yesterdays Cam Schwab segment. (Mario from Doncaster is worth the listen!!:)) But listening to him. He is not stupid, but his strategy at the MFC was so badly tlawed and timed.

How this happens i have no idea, and for such a long time.

The MFC is to blame as well. Schwab's time was over after 186 but the club kept on the same course.

But listening to Schwab yesterday... He knows the ropes and boundries well. How did he make such bad calls??

Astounding

Of course we stink right now. Port was the same 12 months ago.

I'd be more worried about it if it's the same in 12 months time. Hopefully by then we are competitive in a heap more games and on the up. If we don't trade pick 2 it's not a bad thing. We'll still have a decent pick next year and can trade that.

I'm more worried about not keeping our own guys and not developing them.

Gasp, yet another thread of shirt-rending and flagellation. How about putting the same energy into considering how to deal with FA. We'd be in trouble over time with that even we had been better in recent years and had escaped its worst consequences now.

• Like 2

Of course we stink right now. Port was the same 12 months ago.

I'd be more worried about it if it's the same in 12 months time. Hopefully by then we are competitive in a heap more games and on the up. If we don't trade pick 2 it's not a bad thing. We'll still have a decent pick next year and can trade that.

I'm more worried about not keeping our own guys and not developing them.

t m I wish people would stop using Port as an example.

They had a way better playing group than us as a start. I know is handy to hang to on the Port example to make us all feel like there is a large chance of a big improvement in 2014 .However IMO we do not have the same quality base.

As you say above I think the best we can hope for is a couple of more wins and be competitive in most others.

It is going to take at minimum 2 years to be a competitive side capable of moving out of the bottom four.

Old dee, the opening post said "I am furious that the MFC is not a club of choice for future jets". I disagreed by pointing out Clark and Dawes had a choice and chose Melbourne. Whether we paid over the odds or not isn't at issue. What is, is that for whatever reason, they came.

And with respect to Viney, not every father-son prospect necessarily chooses to play with his father's team. Marc Murphy could have gone to Brisbane but decided not to. Viney Jr had a similar choice and decided on Melbourne.

While there was a lot wrong with the club under Neeld, those three players chose Melbourne during his time. I can't recall any other players choosing Melbourne (excluding draft picks who have no choice) since Jeff White. If Neeld is to be blamed for everything that went wrong under his watch perhaps he deserves some praise for shifting perceptions enough to get Clark, Dawes and Viney to Melbourne.

• Like 1

You're right, Soidee, generally only a masochist or a player who is offered much more than he is currently getting would opt to join a club like ours. It will be interesting to see if our new CEO, head of recruitment and coach can induce any significant improvement on what has happened in past years.

If we have the freedom in the salary cap we should make such an offer to several great midfield players in the hope that one of them will take the bait. Perhaps the 'come home to Melbourne' factor might work to our advantage.

As for trading pick 2, it is worth trying, but only for a very good player, not a couple of average ones that some clubs will try to off load.

No news or little news on the trading front does not concern me. It's a bit like bidding on e-bay, the action heats up in the last hour or so. The three weeks lead up is a boring and, largely, waste of time. In addition, why publicise what you're trying to achieve? It only gives opposition clubs more ammunition to use against you.

Clark and Dawes say "hi"!

Players don't want to come here because we are a running joke in the AFL at the moment.

Inflate that percentage, play with some fire and belief, have a few wins and the wheel starts turning.

FA doesn't care who you are or what your ladder position is, if you start acting like a competent club you can attract and keep good players.

• Like 4

Interesting that i just listened to the Podcast of yesterdays Cam Schwab segment. (Mario from Doncaster is worth the listen!! :)) But listening to him. He is not stupid, but his strategy at the MFC was so badly tlawed and timed.

The MFC is to blame as well. Schwab's time was over after 186 but the club kept on the same course.

But listening to Schwab yesterday... He knows the ropes and boundries well. How did he make such bad calls??

Astounding

He has spent his life in footy clubs and knows no other business. His reporting lines/structure was abominable as outlined by Jackson. Way too much power and little accountability.

He also had breadth in his skill set and was frankly left to run free by Stynes and the Board. Its not fashionable to say it but it was Stynes biggest mistake by a long way.

Go easy. It's a recurring pain. If anything Taylor Adams has given it a new emphasis and greater clarity.

Little wonder we are hardly mentioned in despatches. It's going to be our own road back and no one else's.

The AFL made that clear in refusing any PP of any value.

Roos is going to have to find a Kennedy/Mumford type player or actually a few of them and then improve the list we have to make us a destination for players again. Good thing is it can be done and we have several highly rated young players who can improve under a good coaching/development regime.

Interesting that i just listened to the Podcast of yesterdays Cam Schwab segment. (Mario from Doncaster is worth the listen!! :)) But listening to him. He is not stupid, but his strategy at the MFC was so badly tlawed and timed.

Astounding

Because like any conman 'wyl' he will make you believe what he is selling and never deliver. The actions never back up the mouth.