Jurrah to Port?

Jordie_tackles

Well said. I hope Liam finds a way back into footy and his trial goes well for him.

In my view its the wrong focus to be worrying about picks given the terrible and sad circumstances Liam found himself in.

Its time that the AFL finds a way to help indigenous players to balance an AFL career with their cultural obligations.

A lot of people associated with our game can be proud of thier efforts so far but more needs to be done.

Surely it's up to the individual to make every post a winner. Why should it be the AFL's responsibily to make it easier for Aboriginals. If the player has the drive and determination to succeed he will. Skin colour shouldn't even be an issue.

I reckon a few have short memories.....In 2011 was the clubs leading goal kicker in a fairly crap team....Has kicked 81 goals in 35 matches......Was a very exciting player that people would turn up to watch.....Had cultural problems that none of us would even hope to understand.......And had a ankle problem for most of this year.......Players now on our list would have been given a bit of leeway.....But as soon as you leave the club.....out come the knifes.......

These issues had been discussed often while he was at the club. Nice melodrama anyway.

And as for being mentally weak......I would like to see how you would get through the year he had and come up smelling like roses....

That's irrelevant. He wanted to make it in AFL so he should be judged on his ability against his peers to perform. Its well known that Jurrah struggled with the application demands of AFL despite his natural talent.

Whole situation sucks balls, and unfortunately we are one of the big losers (not even sure there are any winners). And I find it hard it hard to really understand Liam's position and judge him, but must admit his departure has left a very sour taste in my mouth. But, we must move on and forget about him. Not sure players like Jurrah who get by on natural ability alone without the application to dedicate themselves wholeheartedly to their career are cut out to play in good finals competing sides anyway.

In the end it was always a bit of a punt. We took a chance and it didn't work out. Move on - let the man deal with his issues and if he makes it back to footy, well, good luck to him.

He would have gotten in the way of Clark, Dawes, Pederson and Hogan anyway. He would have been in danger of being steamrollered every time the ball came inside 50. He's better off out of it.

I agree with you, except I don't think it can be said the punt didn't work out. We got +2 goals a game from a rookie list player. It's disappointing that he didn't go on, but compared to most other rookie list players we got pretty good value out of him.

In the end he probably only had a handful more really good games than Morton, but at least we paid peanuts for his brief career instead of a top pick.

Jurrah gotta do what Jurrah gotta do but its starting to pizz me off how the media is calling Port a "lifeline" and how this could "resuscitate" his career...its not like he was fired, he walked, and if Port is a lifeline it is only required because he commited professional suicide

• Like 2

Would Liam get the same treatment $cully got we he made his return to the 'G'?

WTF! You had to ask that question?

They are poles apart. Shite, I couldn't be bothered booing Brock McLean the first time he played against us and and he was 100 rungs lower on my respect scale than Liam.

If Liam's tribe were in Melbourne (not Adelaide) he would still be at the MFC. His scenario is hardly comparable to that of Judas who lied to Jim and led supporters along for 12 months knowing his dad had already got a deal to join GWS (sorry, didn't really want to have to go back there but had to for context!)

• Like 2

Would Liam get the same treatment $cully got we he made his return to the 'G'?

I would be very disappointed if he got that treatment. We all heard Mark Neeld when Jurrah left and the conversation they had. Jurrah has to focus on his family and his partner who if she hasnt already about to have a child. Unless any of you is a tribal elder in the aboriginal community you would ever know what its like. No im not one but obviously its a very hard thing.

Jurrah also needs to earn an income. Football was his thing and if circumstances were different hen he would still be a demon. Who knows what will happen in march. But Port have to be aware of his circumstances. They aren't just drafting a normal footballer. He has a lot of baggage.

I don't think they'll be letting in machete's pinned to jackets, if that's what you mean...

poor response, guys not guilty yet, below the belt.
  • Like 1

I don't understand the logic of compensation

Senerio:

I have a job, go on a bad trot and move interstate back to family to sort myself out. Why should my previous employer, who admittedly did offer as much as they could to me, receive compensation?

How is a football club different to real life anymore? Just a job

Really?

Simple it's football/Sport what if it was Trengove?

Sometimes things just don't work out with a player, and the club and the supporters need to be big enough to accept that, wish them well, and move on.

Hope it turns out OK for Liam, he could do with a few things going his way. For me, he'll always have been one of us.

Care factor is zero now he has left. I still have a bad taste in my mouth when Rude Boy and Maguire went behind the clubs back to make a head line.

Un-written rule, speak to the club when a media request happens. Despite the cultural issues, this was the result of a maverick playing to the beat of his own drum. AFL is a team game

I loved the magic he showed as a Demon, but he was not a great 2nd effort or chaser. I wish him luck, he has a long road ahead of him, He would have been on good $$ at Melbourne so going to Port as a rookie will be a big step down in $$ for him, so I believe this is truly a personal thing for him, rather than he did not like or want to be a demon. Not many people go interstate for a lot less $$ and not a lot of people want to go to Adelaide either. His leaving has left us more room in our salary cap and one of the new guys on our list is because he left. Lastly we do not know how messy his court case may be next year, that would probably result in a lot of bad press that could have potentially be linked back to Melbourne.

Agree... he was bad for the MFC culture and needed special treatment because he was born in central Australia?! well guess what.. the majority of us were brought up in the suburbs of Melbourne... so toughen the F%$& up...glad he is gone.. and look forward to a united melbounre demons smashing port come rnd 1!!

Agree... he was bad for the MFC culture and needed special treatment because he was born in central Australia?! well guess what.. the majority of us were brought up in the suburbs of Melbourne... so toughen the F%$& up...glad he is gone.. and look forward to a united melbounre demons smashing port come rnd 1!!

Jurrah had little impact on the dubious MFC culture.