• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jurrah to Port?

Jordie_tackles

I agree with you, except I don't think it can be said the punt didn't work out. We got +2 goals a game from a rookie list player. It's disappointing that he didn't go on, but compared to most other rookie list players we got pretty good value out of him.

In the end he probably only had a handful more really good games than Morton, but at least we paid peanuts for his brief career instead of a top pick.

It was a punt that did not work out.

MFC expanded massive management, coaching and off field time to get Jurrah into the AFL mould. We then spent significant human capital on him in the past 12-18 months.

We hardly paid peanuts

• Like 1

I agree with you, except I don't think it can be said the punt didn't work out. We got +2 goals a game from a rookie list player. It's disappointing that he didn't go on, but compared to most other rookie list players we got pretty good value out of him.

In the end he probably only had a handful more really good games than Morton, but at least we paid peanuts for his brief career instead of a top pick.

Whilst i understand your view . Our return on investment was just this side of abysmal. Thats a reality.

I had him pegged as a star in the making. He must be made of magnesium as he burnt bright for a very short while before extinguishing.. Shame

we move on

Meanwhile back at the MFC ....... :unsure:

Did anyone else hear the report that Warren Tredrea has told Port to stay well clear of Jurrah or was I hearing things on the tele this morning..??

Did anyone else hear the report that Warren Tredrea has told Port to stay well clear of Jurrah or was I hearing things on the tele this morning..??

That would be this - Port Adelaide's not ready for Liam Jurrah, says club great Warren Tredrea.

Would love to see him line up against Tommy Mac!

What a contest!!!!

I would hope that Tommy Mac would get into his head, really get stuck into Jurrah. Mentally fragile players like Jurrah could be easily put off their game.

I don't understand why more league players don't really target certain players.

Mentally breaking down players has been successfully used by Geelong, Brisbane at the peak of their powers and individually by Michael Jordan, Wayne Carey,Shane Warne, there acertain place for it in every sport if done within the spirit of the game.

I would hope that Tommy Mac would get into his head, really get stuck into Jurrah. Mentally fragile players like Jurrah could be easily put off their game.

I don't understand why more league players don't really target certain players.

Mentally breaking down players has been successfully used by Geelong, Brisbane at the peak of their powers and individually by Michael Jordan, Wayne Carey,Shane Warne, there acertain place for it in every sport if done within the spirit of the game.

Too true - the most famous Carey sledge...calls the trainer over and says something along the lines of...'get me a footy record, I need to find out who this fwit is that's playing on me...'

Ouch.

Thanks mate - I rarley check the HS online.

Big Warren is all over it you'd have to say.

His career path/trajectory reminds me so much of this bloke:

Adrian McAdam

DOB: 12 March, 1971

Team: North Melbourne (1993-1995)

36 games, 92 goals

adrian_mcadam.jpg

Good luck to Liam, if he does get a second shot at it...

Guest José Mourinho

Hahahahahahahaha do you have ANY understanding of football? If you're scenario applied then any player could just walk club to club. Geez you ever heard of the "trade period" mate. Far out.

Do you?

How is it any different to any other player that doesn't sign a new contract, then goes in the ND, PSD or RD?

How about Mal Michael?

Do you?

How is it any different to any other player that doesn't sign a new contract, then goes in the ND, PSD or RD?

How about Mal Michael?

Did you even read the original post I was responding to Jose? Apparently football is the same as any other job where you can just walk job to job willy nilly, according to the post I was replying to, however there are actually rules about that... Go on, look it up, you'll be surprised!

Guest José Mourinho

Did you even read the original post I was responding to Jose? Apparently football is the same as any other job where you can just walk job to job willy nilly, according to the post I was replying to, however there are actually rules about that... Go on, look it up, you'll be surprised!

But... you can.

I did read the post. And you CAN walk away from a club, not signing a new contract, and enter the draft.

You can "retire" mid-contract, and then later enter the draft.

I'm only surprised by your lack of comprehension.

Still not answered my question...

I have this feeling that perhaps Liam's decision to walk away might have resulted not only from his personal situation but also as a consequence of discussions that might have taken place as to what the club required of him if he were to remain on the list. This is just a hunch but, whatever the case, I wish him well in the future with both his trial, his community and family life and his football career.

Apart from the personal and community issues that continue to cause so much grief, I find it sad that his mission of being a role model for indigenous youngsters coming out of desert communities had been so severely compromised. Hopefully, he can find a way to resurrect that part of his life as well as bring some harmony back to Yuendumu and the lives of its people.

The football should come second to that.

• Like 3

Would love to see him line up against Tommy Mac!

What a contest!!!!

Obviously the athleticism isn't there but I'd prefer Jmac on him - I don't think Liam would enjoy that very much at all.

Dont you mean he contributed to the 'dubious MFC culture'?

Times have changed!!!

No. He contributed little positive or negative to it.

In terms of a draft pick we paid peanuts. On that measure the ROI was good, compared to Morton or Gysberts.

Thats blinkered and naive.

You look at the costs of acquisition and maintenance. While the car came cheap, it was expensive and time consuming to running.

Morton and Gysberts were the opposite.

All three players did not perform and were disappointed

A correction: Jurrah was picked #1 in the 2009 PSD and was on the senior list for two years.

I believe LJ's behaviour towards the MFC has set back the opportunities for other players like him. Rather than being seen as a hard working committed footballer, he is now seen as a troubled and ungrateful man. The words of Matthew Rendell do unfortunately ring loud and true in this case.

Most understand his background and the difficulties contained therein, especially when related to forging an AFL career, that is what Rendell was getting at. He was not being racist, he was accepting that a difficult situation existed and that some clubs would choose not to take the risk, which of course is their right and probably obligation. LJ has not helped that.

Leave aside the court case and the violence incident, for the moment and just concentrate on his departure. LJ never thanked the club for its time and effort, in trying to help him become an AFL footballer, in helping his community and in helping him with his court case, nor did he in any way seek to help us get some compensation via a trade. He walked out before the end of the season, a season in which he played one game and was probably paid his full and generous salary without a thought for us. If he is that keen in November to play with Port he would have been somewhat keen at least earlier and we could have done a deal to help him and us, without his football reputation being devalued, as it now has.

His behaviour is excused by his mentor on here and if that is the way he was brought up, so be it, there are of course different cultures and we are each a product to some extent of our upbringing. I don't condemn him for that, if that is the expected behaviour of him by his people. That however does give AFL clubs the right to look at the individual and say, he is too difficult to take on. That is is the recruiter's right.

If recruiters now see people like LJ as too hard, that is not their fault. They also should not be condemned for not taking on talent that comes with far greater difficulties than other possible recruits. The job is to create the best list they can and if things make that difficult they are not honour bound to go with the hardest task but rather one would assume the easiest. That is where I think LJ has let everyone down.

On a personal note I invested a lot of my hope in LJ, went to his book launch, spoke to him when we met, read all the articles about him and was really proud of his attempts to become an AFL player and ours of supporting him. I am personally disappointed in the outcome, but that is life.

What I find most disappointing is that his leaving and the manner of it makes me not care in the slightest about LJ the man and that really disappoints me. I suppose many would call that my fault and so be it, but I can't help but feel that LJ has helped foster that feeling. Wonder if he would acknowledge that in any way.

• Like 16

I believe LJ's behaviour towards the MFC has set back the opportunities for other players like him. Rather than being seen as a hard working committed footballer, he is now seen as a troubled and ungrateful man. The words of Matthew Rendell do unfortunately ring loud and true in this case.

Most understand his background and the difficulties contained therein, especially when related to forging an AFL career, that is what Rendell was getting at. He was not being racist, he was accepting that a difficult situation existed and that some clubs would choose not to take the risk, which of course is their right and probably obligation. LJ has not helped that.

Leave aside the court case and the violence incident, for the moment and just concentrate on his departure. LJ never thanked the club for its time and effort, in trying to help him become an AFL footballer, in helping his community and in helping him with his court case, nor did he in any way seek to help us get some compensation via a trade. He walked out before the end of the season, a season in which he played one game and was probably paid his full and generous salary without a thought for us. If he is that keen in November to play with Port he would have been somewhat keen at least earlier and we could have done a deal to help him and us, without his football reputation being devalued, as it now has.

His behaviour is excused by his mentor on here and if that is the way he was brought up, so be it, there are of course different cultures and we are each a product to some extent of our upbringing. I don't condemn him for that, if that is the expected behaviour of him by his people. That however does give AFL clubs the right to look at the individual and say, he is too difficult to take on. That is is the recruiter's right.

If recruiters now see people like LJ as too hard, that is not their fault. They also should not be condemned for not taking on talent that comes with far greater difficulties than other possible recruits. The job is to create the best list they can and if things make that difficult they are not honour bound to go with the hardest task but rather one would assume the easiest. That is where I think LJ has let everyone down.

On a personal note I invested a lot of my hope in LJ, went to his book launch, spoke to him when we met, read all the articles about him and was really proud of his attempts to become an AFL player and ours of supporting him. I am personally disappointed in the outcome, but that is life. What I find most disappointing is that his leaving and the manner of it makes me not care in the slightest about LJ the man and that really disappoints me. I suppose many would call that my fault and so be it, but I can't help but feel that LJ has helped foster that feeling. Wonder if he would acknowledge that in any way.

It may" have been expected behaviour by his people" however he maintained that he wanted to become a role model fo his people and part of that growth was to be able to live by the general community standards.He obviously did not understand that the correct pathway back to his family and South Australia was initially to tell his Club (who had stuck by him through out his Court ordeal and through other issues that came up whilst recuperating from his "wrist" injury) that he needed to be back with his family for various reasons,. The Club and supporters would completely understand his reasons but it was the way it was handled that was all wrong. I would have thought that his mentor would have advised him otherwise as he was very good at advising him when to be inerviewed by Eddie.

I don't harbour any animosity towards LJ as I also was part of the wider group here who supported the purchase of his guernsey. I still believe it was an absolutely wonderful thing that we achieved and I personally know that Liam was thrilled. But if we as a Club had turned our backs on Liam throughout all his issues then I would understand his reasons for walking out. I hope Liam can find that brilliance again. Maybe now that he has seen what is expected from an AFL footballer during his time at the Club in 2012 under Neeld he will find the strength of character and become the role model that his community definitely need.

But... you can.

I did read the post. And you CAN walk away from a club, not signing a new contract, and enter the draft.

You can "retire" mid-contract, and then later enter the draft.

I'm only surprised by your lack of comprehension.

Still not answered my question...

Well if you dont have respect for contracts that's fine Jose, but some people choose to be more professional than that.

Agree... he was bad for the MFC culture and needed special treatment because he was born in central Australia?! well guess what.. the majority of us were brought up in the suburbs of Melbourne... so toughen the F%$& up...glad he is gone.. and look forward to a united melbounre demons smashing port come rnd 1!!

What a load of crap.

Liam comes from here:

http://goo.gl/maps/dyTfa

You can't tell me that growing up in one of the most remote communities in Australia and growing up in the suburbs of Melbourne are the same thing and expect him to just toughen up.

It's worlds apart.

• Like 1

I do not profess to have knowledge of the cultural divide that separates us but the thing that irked me was the complete lack of acknowledgment of the support the club had given him - I would have been happy enough for his manager or the club to make a statement on Liam's behalf "Liam has asked me to thank.....etc".

I would be surprised if Liam's culture does not find the giving of appreciation necessary. I restate that I have no knowledge of the culture but I believe that it is a basic human trait that spans all cultures that when levels of support and help are given, appreciation/acknowledgment is shown/given in return

• Like 3