FAREWELL STEFAN MARTIN - SEPTEMBER 2012

Guest Rassilon

I doubt Martin would be selected ahead of Jamar as first ruck, and he sucked as second ruck. He got lucky with Leuenberger and West going down; had they not I expect he'd have finished out the year without getting a game and been delisted.

If he'd stayed, I don't think it would have panned out the way it has for him at Brisbane. I would not call it a mistake. I was also lead to believe that he was happy to go.

We should've kept Martin as first ruck and traded out Jamar when he had currency. I suggested this at the time and was howled down.

• Like 7

We should've kept Martin as first ruck and traded out Jamar when he had currency. I suggested this at the time and was howled down.

I suggested this too Dr G and was fighting off Jamar fans like nasties in a Bruce Lee film.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Stef was one of my favourite players and I was sad to see him go. Should've been obvious to all and sundry that his place in a team should've been as first ruck, but he was never going to get a game ahead of Jamar and they always seemed to be injured at the same time. He had to try to become a forward first, ruck second. It's only been through sheer luck on his part that he's had the opportunity to play first ruck at the lions as he was originally recruited as a potential offsider to Jonathan Brown.

Anyway, I feel better knowing it was virtually a trade for him and Dean Kent who I'd probably still take if given the choice. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

Hows this going for him JR?

Even most of this year you still classify him as a dud. He is making you look very silly with egg on your face.

Im glad Martin is sticking uo the haters. His form alone will be seriously considerd All Australian.

Neeld GAGF

Jees Jumbo you make the big calls

and they return to bite you

I still think he's an inconsistent player.

I accept full responsibility for all my calls on Stef Martin.....it aint over yet.

For those that think they know everything, maybe Stef would still on our list, and indeed in the state - IF he hadn't 'taken' to his girlfriend

the SECOND time.. (and yes, 'taken' to his missus means exactly what u think it means)

He was traded for a bullshyte late 80's pick just to get rid of him. He is a No 1 ruckman. If he is as smart as they say he is he should look for a club that will give that role permanently. Would love to have him back to replace Jamar.

It hurts me to post it but my understanding was - Stef Martin traded for pick 52 (Matt Jones) and pick 71 (Dan Nicholson). Please somebody, tell me I'm wrong and we actually got Dom Tyson, Jack Viney and Jesse Hogan for him.

Let's wait to see how Stef goes in both big games against good sides (finals) and after the rest of the comp has gone to summer school on him.

Stef has a good record this season against some of the better ruckman.

Consistently smashes ruckman around the ground.

Anyone waiting for Stef to drop off anytime soon are kidding themselves.

Will go on with it next year, should never of been traded by MFC.

I was against this on the first page of this thread.

Neeld is a muppet, thankfully he no longer has anything to do with MFC.

• Like 1

Stef has a good record this season against some of the better ruckman.

Consistently smashes ruckman around the ground.

Anyone waiting for Stef to drop off anytime soon are kidding themselves.

Will go on with it next year, should never of been traded by MFC.

I was against this on the first page of this thread.

Neeld is a muppet, thankfully he no longer has anything to do with MFC.

But not against the best. He got belted by Sandy and struggled against Jacobs, he did beat big Will.

Like some of our players they will need to be moved on and some will do well at other clubs, we have to accept that and move on with our own list. To be perfectly honest with you I couldn't give a stuff anymore if Stef is BOG or not. He is not our player.

Moloney is retired and Silvia might as well be, so what...

But not against the best. He got belted by Sandy and struggled against Jacobs, he did beat big Will.

Like some of our players they will need to be moved on and some will do well at other clubs, we have to accept that and move on with our own list. To be perfectly honest with you I couldn't give a stuff anymore if Stef is BOG or not. He is not our player.

Moloney is retired and Silvia might as well be, so what...

If he was still playing for us, he would still be sub par

Oh and by the way have the Pies been tanking or something? How else do you get smashed by the Lions at the Gee unless you have developed a losing culture from tanking? That is what I was led to believe two weeks ago, by Paul Roos and Caroline Wilson. Perhaps with Collingwood its a hangover from the 2005 tanking for the Daisy Thomas pp!

maybe the Pies realise just how far behind the Hawks, Cats & Dockers they really are, & are looking for a good key tall or 2 ? maybe they are into the trading for Petracca idea?

their games over the last 6 weeks or so IMO have been odd.

It hurts me to post it but my understanding was - Stef Martin traded for pick 52 (Matt Jones) and pick 71 (Dan Nicholson). Please somebody, tell me I'm wrong and we actually got Dom Tyson, Jack Viney and Jesse Hogan for him.

No, you are spot on. I read the historical records of that draft arse about - we got Kent with the Compensation pick (Moloney & Rivers - Byrnes = ND48 Dean Kent).

Martin was moved for 53 essentially on its own as we upgraded rookies that you could have used any pick on.

I would say that Martin was worth more to us than ND53 but I saw that a great deal about getting value out of your list. The issue remains that if the Lions had Leuenberger up and running - we wouldn't be talking about Martin at all and he might have just salvaged his career in the past month.

Interesting that the Lions are claiming they have a truckload of space in their salary cap next year to recruit big names but are looking down the barrel of a $3mill overall loss this year. That kind of loss would finish us off now.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-20/lions-incredible-cap-space

Interesting that the Lions are claiming they have a truckload of space in their salary cap next year to recruit big names but are looking down the barrel of a $3mill overall loss this year. That kind of loss would finish us off now.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-20/lions-incredible-cap-space

No Moonshadow it would prolong the agony for another Half a decade

Stefan Martin would be handy now.

just my imagination or is he a lot lot 'sturdier' than when with us ? why do so few of our players look "Strong" ?

Tapscott looks strong, but is short, slow and injured.

he always was like a tree. Stef seems to have bulked some. Look at him compared say ...dare I say it.. JW

SM is a smidge taller but has a good 10 kg on Watts. I dont recall Martin being as built when in Red and Blue. Might just be me though. Need more bananas possibly.

he always was like a tree. Stef seems to have bulked some. Look at him compared say ...dare I say it.. JW

SM is a smidge taller but has a good 10 kg on Watts. I dont recall Martin being as built when in Red and Blue. Might just be me though. Need more bananas possibly.

probably you bub, your potassium levels are probably out of whack

• Like 1