Changes for next week (v Brisbane)

Gouga

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardest decision all year... but if Moloney and Junior are fit and ready, you certainly put them straight back into the side.

IN: McDonald (if fit... again), Moloney, Trengove

OUT: Bail, McKenzie (general soreness), Scully (general soreness)

P.S. Has Dunny turned a corner or what??? Wowza! :)

McKenzie will not be dropped as he is still on the Rookie List and we want him to stay with us. With the way he is playing it would not be a good move as he could walk away from the club. However I expect him to be elevated to the list with a rather healthy contract at the end of the season.

In my opinion James McDonald is not an automatic selection as I think he is not quick enough for our side. The way we played against the Swans would have sent a message to James that he can now retire knowing the team will improve without him. Depending on how we are going he will probably play his last game against North Melbourne.

We have an interesting dilemma facing the selection committee regarding players coming back into the side. Especially with James McDonald, Brent Moloney, Jack Trengove and later Jack Grimes. Then we may have Jordan Gysberts and Luke Tapscott knocking on the door before the season ends.

My inclination is to make no change for the Brisbane game and put pressure on them by saying that if they do not perform we have a number of players that can come into the team. It sounds tough but with the way the list is shaping we will have a reasonable number of players fighting for places in the side each week next season.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

In: Trengove. Maybe McDonald. I think Moloney may miss 1 more, just a gut feel.

Out: Scully, rest? Morton? Jones? It hard to pick any outs. I think Morton was the least convincing.

But, Jeez, poor bloody Cale was playing on a gun of the game and almost broke even except for some junk time stuff. Goodes was "on" today and was going to tear up who ever he played on. It would be harsh to drop him because of that.

The question I wonder about is do we need two rucks next week or can we bring in another runner?

IN: McDonald, Moloney

OUT: Maric (can't find anyone else), Scully (rest)

* Trengove to come back through Casey.

FB: Garland, Frawley, Bartram

HB: MacDonald, Rivers, Bail

C: Morton, McKenzie, Davey

HF: Watts, Dunn, Sylvia

FF: Jurrah, Green, Wonaemirri

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald

INT: Bennell, Bruce, Johnson, Jones

EMERG: Bate, Maric, Trengove

They will not drop anybody , unless their are injuries.

Bailey and his team wants a culture at the club, of every player earning his spot at the club, and one cannot drop a player if he has played well.

Only for a Trengove IN. Out is a tough ask.

Edited by Deevout

I did say no changes!

But with a second thought.

Out - Scully (rest), Dunn (only if injured as it was said he was on crutches)

In - Trengove, Tapscott (if Dunn dont get up)

Moloney and McDonald need an extra week at least.

Tapscott to debut with his buddy Trengove back in.

Warnock could be considered.

Tapscott to debut with his buddy Trengove back in.

Warnock could be considered.

With the exception of McDonald (who played in the VFL based on fitness, not form), anyone who played in the VFL this week will play in the VFL again next week. It's hard enough fitting in the automatic selections without adding "extras" in at this stage. Tapscott, Warnock, Bate and anyone else will be the losers out of the senior side playing so well this week. Thems the breaks.

But, Jeez, poor bloody Cale was playing on a gun of the game and almost broke even except for some junk time stuff. Goodes was "on" today and was going to tear up who ever he played on. It would be harsh to drop him because of that.

The question I wonder about is do we need two rucks next week or can we bring in another runner?

Your right, but I'm not looking at how Cale Is today, but rather what his limitations are going forward. He Must muscle up, or he's no use to us down the track. Those wings and flanks are spoken for pretty much, with key positions needing filling.

This is where Cale must aim to be IMO. Playing on the talls.

He needs to be encouraged strongly to play these roles.

Beamer is all heart. He and Jamar have been a solid force in the centre this year. But the third quarter against Freo last week and the four qtrs yesterday are almost an indicator to me that we can't play all of Beamer, Junior and Jones in the one side. I had Brock McLean in this group up until last year.

As strong as they are around the ball/stoppages it is not quite enough, the speed to take it away needs to be there. Jordie McKenzie, he is playing a similar role to Beam, Junior and Jones but has a touch more pace and uses the ball well. I find it hard not to say that Jordie has quickly become just as important as a Skull or Trengove to our long term midfield prospects.

I'm certainly not writing anyone's ticket but can't help but comment on how good we have been through the middle with a bit more speed and 'better' users of the ball in there.

Col Sylvia playing in the middle is another element and as good as anything in the league when he is on song - outstanding!

Can't help but be excited by who wasn't in the team yesterday.

IMO, Bate, Moloney, McDonald, Grimes, Trengove and Warnock are all in our best 22. All should be available next week.

Add Gysberts (pick 11), Tapscott (pick 18), Blease (pick 17), Strauss (pick 19)and Gawn (pick 35) who are all developing at Casey and all of whom have the potential to be really great players.$

That's 11 players.

Then consider the fact that Watts, Scully, Bail, Bennel, Trengove, Garland, McKenzie, Wona, Morton, Jurrah and Grimes are all going to be twice the players they are now with another 1-2 pre-seasons and an extra 30-40 games experience

what all this really means is that real competitionexists for spots in our lineup now.. the bar will continue its gradual but steady rise.

I expect to see better skills appearing at training and real efforts for a spot each week.

Mental laziness will become a thing of the past...all bodes well.

Now as to who will come and who will go ?? Might be more as to who pulled up sore etc and what is the freshest team we can mount come next Sat keeping in mind they had a extra day's recouperation. We need to physcially couter Brown whilst mentally niggle Fev. Play Fev how Tarrant does.... it annoys the sh!t out of him and he get flustered ad focus drops..that show you beat Fev. Brown... make him run and run and make him contest. Might be Chippers job.

Youd have to think Junior and Trengove ought to be selectable but could look to ease Jack back in elsewhere ....who knows.. It used to be so easy to pick the ins and outs.. Much better now it isnt ;)

In: McDonald, Trengove

Out: Maric, Watts (rested)

I have a strong feeling Watts will get the week off after the way they worked on his leg at three quarter time.

I've made my feelings on Maric clear: with McDonald, Trengove and possibly Moloney coming back into the side someone has to go and for me that's Maric.

In: McDonald, Trengove

Out: Maric, Watts (rested)

I have a strong feeling Watts will get the week off after the way they worked on his leg at three quarter time.

I've made my feelings on Maric clear: with McDonald, Trengove and possibly Moloney coming back into the side someone has to go and for me that's Maric.

According to Titan:

In McDonald, Maloney, Trengove

Out. Maric, Maric, Maric oh and by the way MARIC.

You already posted your ins and outs so why repeat yourself? What is your problem with the kid? There should be a list of members and the players they constantly bag so the rest of us can ignore the biased posts. For what its worth my opinion is

Out: Preferrably no one but Scully (likely to be rested) or Dunn (If injured)

In: McDonald

I can't see Trengove coming straight in after his extended layoff and if Beamer couldn't fly back from Perth until two days later due to his injury and he missed last week, it doen't make much sense to fly him to Brisbane. If fit I would play him at Casey and bring him in next week

I doubt there will be any changes,

First, with the exception of Moloney ( no guarntee he will be ok )the returning injured have been out for multipule weeks and

I think they will be returned via Casey.

Second with the form of yesterday's team who do you drop? they all deserve their spots

I thought Maric was our worst player but he was not bad and deserves another week.

Unless there is an injury we do not know about I think the same lot go Brisbane.

I hope junior has the sense to see his career should end on a high at the end of the year and not questionably after 12 games (approx) next year. He'll be in the way soon.

I think you are being a little harsh, until injured he was among our top 10 most weeeks,

a little experience is still what we need, one good win does not make us world beaters.

Whilst there is now no doubt a renewed interest in winning games this needs to be tempered with getting many young legs though the rest of the season and through another preseason readied for a tilt-proper in '011.

Ins and out will follow this as able whilst keeping a balance on the playing field

PJ ,whilst kind of handy is not pivotal to a Melb to play Bris, and Maric ( and ive always liked him ) will in all likelyhood make way for Trengove and Junior.

Beamer might be ulucky not to get a recall but thats conditional on no one needing a rest. Having said that Moloney had a good game against the Cubs without being brilliant. Jamar ought find Luenberger and Clark within his growing abilities.

Lions will run out of puff, thats their achilles heel and thats our trump. We ran them ragged once already this year. We won that prior game by jumping them at the start and breaking them in the second.....all over red rover. Bails needs to pick up team to redo exactly that !!

I can't see many changes at all if any.

I think the mentioning of Maric being omitted is a big slap in the face for the kid. He worked his ass off at Casey, and played frequent good football. He got his oppotunity yesterday, not as a late replacement, but as a guy that made the first 22 named. He played very well, he showed pace, and was very smart with his positioning. He added extra pressure in the forward line, and helped contribute to the amount of turnovers the opposition had. In the first quarter, he and Aussie really stood out in my mind - 2 guys not given many chances this year with a point to prove.

If anything, I can see Scully having a spell for Junior. This is not an omission of Scully, just s straight forward rest. Would prefer to see Beamer have another week to get over his niggle, then come back thorugh Casey. Trengove to play at Casey. Would love to see Warnock come in to play on Brown. He smashed him earlier this year, as did Frawley on Fev. Maybe he could replace a very, very unlucky P Johnson, but only if we have no injuries (re earlier post regarding Dunn). Johnson has been excellent over the past 2 weeks, and I think Russian is loving him in the team (allows Russian to go forward which he obviously enjoys doing - Our big pack-busting KPF once Gawn arrives?).

I like this idea of injured players who miss more than 2 weeks coming back thorugh Casey. Even if they don't end up in the best (like Jnr this week), it gives them a good blow out and has them cherry ripe for their senior return.

We have Richmond after Brisbane. They will come out hard as they will see that as a winnable game for their club. Maybe keep Junior fresh for the Richmond match? Win the next 2 games and the Club will throw everything at the Hawks - enter Brent Moloney.

Ah, gee, how bloody hard will it be this week? The more I think about it, the more I believe our best chacne to beat these blokes will be to have Warnock in. I don't want to see Scully rested for Warnock as it will mean we sacrifice a runner for a defender. Brisbane are bloody slow, let's run them in to the ground.

In: Warnock, Trengove

Out: Johnson, Scully

Sorry Johnno, it's only a match-up think, nothing else.