Changes for next week (v Brisbane)

Gouga

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

On Watts' game against the Swans, I saw a lot to be excited about. The guy does heaps of unrewarded running. Heaps. Sometimes he is running to the right spots and guys don't move as quick as he does. Other times he has a bit to learn about where to run. But he has a really aerobic capacity. He is also super below his knees and likes sharing the ball. When he gets some meat on the bones and a bit of confidence, we will have a gem IMO. So I would play him every week, because every game is a game closer to the breakout game.

Not to mention that 4 or so times he got free on the lead only to have the ball kicked OOF or out of bounds. Considering how good we were by foot yesterday you would have to say he was a bit stiff to cop more than his fair share of errors.

Put him in the gym over summer and give him a big pre-season and he will look like a 100+ gamer.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people forgetting that sometimes required changes need to be made depending on the opposition???

Brisbane are taller up forward so it may be ideal to bring in Warnock and omit Bail (as an example).

Sometimes changes HAVE to be made given the circumstances...

Warnock has been outstanding for Casey. He would be a fair chance for a recall this week anyway with Fev & Brown but this just solidifies any doubt to have him included.

I would keep Bail in over Maric, his early season form being an important player in our wins at that time see him stay and Maric out for Warnock possibly.

Junior and Trengove, Moloney?

The trip away could see Junior play another at Casey. Trengove - I just don't see the point of this kid playing at Casey, he has had two weeks off and should be fresh. Moloney should be right to go.

I think Jones could find himself under pressure possibly. Col Sylvia was scintillating in the middle and is extra cover there. Between Jordie and Nath, I like Jordie.

I would be playing Trengove ahead of Jones.

Moloney as inclusion would possibly see Bail or Wonna under pressure. If they bring Moloney straight back.

Decisions, decisions. Anyone that goes out will be unlucky.

Decisions, decisions. Anyone that goes out will be unlucky.

This is one week when I'm perfectly happy to leave it to the selectors..... and to accept whatever they come up with. Its been a long time since we've had 22 players earn another game - when there are several automatic selections out of the side.All of the players know that this year is a development year and that selection will be a balance between long-term plans (including pride in earning the jumper) and week-to -week imperatives.

I just hope we can reproduce last week's form on the road.

....................... I cant help but wonder why no one has thought of dropping Wonna. Yes he played well on the weekend but he was a late replacement for Moloney and in my opinion will probably make way. ..................

I don't think Moloney was ever going to play, and in that sence, I don't think Wonna was a 'late replacement' (other than than on paper). Wonna will play in Brisbane.

I think the "Junior was no good at Casey and won't be rushed back" stuff is a bit misguided as well.

He had 24 touches and kicked the sealer from 45m. This against a Collingwood side with players like O'Bree, Fraser, Medhurst etc. I wouldn't call that an ordinary performance at all.

The obsession with playing kids at all costs has to end somewhere. That somewhere is excluding our captain and likely best & fairest. We've played more players than any other team in the comp this year, I think the objective of giving experience has been achieved. Now we're in a position where we can actually make finals if we win 4/5 on the way home. We must play the best team we have, Addam Maric is not in that team ahead of any of McDonald, Moloney or Trengove. Simple as that.

Keep in mind Jumior ought to be a level above most at VFL . He was by all accounts a bit rusty but did play ok.. wasnt in the best ( a little surprising ) but could have been pacing himself.

I think the club is playing very cautious with the vets; wise.

The Gabba can be hard on the legs so logic would suggest a full games run in AFL on the G in preference coming back which is the following week against the Tigers.

Given Junior is so close to his milestone youd be beter off enabling him to ensure he plays out the last 4 games this year ( just in case ) as opposed to coming back prematurely and having to miss by 1 or 2 !!

I think we need to keep in mind that the big wins we've had this season have come on the back of superior running. If we look at removing one of the running players like Maric or Bail in favour of Warnock, we reduce our running capacity. If we do make changes, they need to be lie for like. Hence if we think that Warnock is needed to keep Fev down, then one of the other tall backs needs to make way. If Moloney is coming back in, it will be at the expense of a midfielder who is a little less damaging. I hate to see people talking about dropping Maric or Bail to get Warnock into the side because this will reduce the effectiveness of our gameplan overall.

Personally, I don't think we really need to make any changes. If Moloney is fit he would be hte one to come in, but I find it hard to say that anyone should be omitted. I think our backline has enough height to hold both Fev and Brown (as well as Brennan) without making changes, so that is less of a concern for me. It comes down to which of our tall defenders is in the best form as to which gets to play the game.

One thing I will say is that Joel Macdonald and Bail absolutely must play this game. Joel will love the chance to have a go at his former club and Rohan can play in front of a more or less local crowd. I think both will lift for this one.

There'd hardly be a poster on this thread that wants to 'drop' anyone, but tough decisions will need to be made over the coming weeks with one eye on winning and one on development. That said, our class is the young developing players and they've earnt their spots.

There's no way that I'd leave out Scully or Watts. They'll learn much more playing against Brisbane than running around at Casey. Get as many games into them as possible. Scully is already just about the fittest at the club. His loads are closely monitored, so if he's right to go let him play.

Obviously, we're not privy to whether Moloney, McDonald and Trengove will be fit. One can be fit enough to play a game at Casey, but not necessarily ripe for AFL. If players had to be unlucky enough to make way for them it would be Maric, Bail and Johnson, imo. I have a feeling that not all 3 will be right to play. And even if they were I doubt the MC would want to bring back 3 underdone footballers at once.

I really like Bail as a footballer, but this time I'd have to squeeze him out. I don't like the idea of dropping Maric after one game, especially as he took his chance and played well, but hopefully the taste he's had will serve to keep him hungry, as opposed to disillusioned. And It's not ideal to ruck Jamar against Leuenberger and Clark, but it wouldn't be the first time we've improvised. And I can't see who else to take out other than Johnson.

They will talk about bringing Warnock back, but I like the current balance of the backline and wouldn't change it. Garland gets the neanderthal - if he's not dropped. Sure, there's a strength disadvantage, but Fevola isn't a pack mark. Nearly all his goals come from leads and Garland has the pace to match him, whereas Rivers doesn't. Frawley again goes to Brown, while Rivers covers Cornelius and assists with the high balls.

They will talk about bringing Warnock back, but I like the current balance of the backline and wouldn't change it. Garland gets the neanderthal - if he's not dropped. Sure, there's a strength disadvantage, but Fevola isn't a pack mark. Nearly all his goals come from leads and Garland has the pace to match him, whereas Rivers doesn't. Frawley again goes to Brown, while Rivers covers Cornelius and assists with the high balls.

Agree. Warnock did do well in Round 5 but our defence has been really good for 10 of the last 12 quarters we've played. Frawley will take Brown, I think Rivers will get Fevola (from reports from Geelong he's not fit so his pace is down) and Garland to Cornelius.

There's no way that I'd leave out Scully or Watts. They'll learn much more playing against Brisbane than running around at Casey. Get as many games into them as possible. Scully is already just about the fittest at the club. His loads are closely monitored, so if he's right to go let him play.

Scully didn't play badly but not as bright as he usually is so it might be time for a rest. A straight swap for Trenners is logical otherwise no change. Watts is showing a bit more each game so we should keep him in.

out bartram (those 3 kicking errors were rather large) in mcdonald

out scully (rested) in moloney

Bartram?!?!?! Good lord...

I sometimes think Barty could go forward and kick 12.1 and people here would drop him for missing that one shot.

Bartram had 80% efficiency from his 20 touches. Everyone's favourite new wonder boy Addam Maric, he of the 'laser boot', was at 56% from his 16 touches. A lot of people here don't seem to actually watch the game and take in what happens, rather just extract whatever solitary moments support your pre-conceived view of a player and continue to beat that same drum.

Bartram?!?!?! Good lord...

I sometimes think Barty could go forward and kick 12.1 and people here would drop him for missing that one shot.

Bartram had 80% efficiency from his 20 touches. Everyone's favourite new wonder boy Addam Maric, he of the 'laser boot', was at 56% from his 16 touches. A lot of people here don't seem to actually watch the game and take in what happens, rather just extract whatever solitary moments support your pre-conceived view of a player and continue to beat that same drum.

or some people do in fact watch the games.... don't assume...

Anyway bartram is the only one i can think of dont criticise about nothing. And why i chose batram was because of his tackling presence, james mcdonald tackles better. maric is a different player than james mcdonald. I wanted to get the skipper in.

And 56 percent disposal, it seemed more than that.

or some people do in fact watch the games.... don't assume...

Anyway bartram is the only one i can think of dont criticise about nothing. And why i chose batram was because of his tackling presence, james mcdonald tackles better. maric is a different player than james mcdonald. I wanted to get the skipper in.

And 56 percent disposal, it seemed more than that.

Oh I see. Because we don't want to have too many players who are excellent tacklers in the one team. Of course...

Oh I see. Because we don't want to have too many players who are excellent tacklers in the one team. Of course...

hmmm now who is not watching/ reading things. I said that James is better at it than Bartram. Bartram is going to be a good-great player but right now jnr is a better player. Thus as we are going interstate where we don't perform fantastically I would rather our best team playing.

Why criticise views. It is my view, move on. I wouldn't mind if you did it without I don't know... not being annoying?

Bartram is one of my favourite whipping boys, but I couldn't even think of dropping him after that match.

No way. In spite of a few errors he was sublime and set the tone as much as young Jordie.

Bartram is a better tackler. Watch the St. Kilda game and the Sydney game as proof

how so, both have been playing this year and most games mcdonald has out tackled him. As I said, it James McDonald wasn't ready to come in (I'm not even sure if he is) then I wouldn't want him out. But how else do you want James McDonald in and Brent Moloney?

I really like Bail as a footballer, but this time I'd have to squeeze him out.

Don't disagree with anything you've said actually, but I just watched the replay and I gotta say Bail was very influential. He didn't get huge numbers, but he was involved in so many quick transitions. Nearly every one of his possessions put us into a scoring shot or release us onto the wing. His speed and ball use were very very good, and I think he adds an element of dash that we really need, especially in the absence of Grimes.

He wouldn't be on my list of players to drop.

No way would I drop Bartram. We were really struggling to find a good small defender until he stepped into the role. His kicking is never going to be a strength, but he almost never gets beaten one-on-one. As a stopper on the mobile small forwards he is worth his weight in gold.