Changes for next week (v Brisbane)

Gouga

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Maric was to be dropped I think hed realise it s simply on who who in the top 22 etc. hes not there yet. He will get more chances if he preserves his form. He might not get dropped ...but should he I think he wil see it as a "just is" not a slap !!

Really glad im not on the selection committee for Melbourne at the moment but I cant help but wonder why no one has thought of dropping Wonna. Yes he played well on the weekend but he was a late replacement for Moloney and in my opinion will probably make way.

IN: Moloney, Trengove, Junior

OUTS: Wonna, Maric, Bail

Not because they played bad but because in the balance of the team they are not in the best 22 at the moment.

Saying that I know Bailey likes to give everyone a couple of weeks so thinking we might see some general soreness.

But so glad we are playing on a Sat instead of a Sun so we actually have to name a team - not a squad.

Really glad im not on the selection committee for Melbourne at the moment but I cant help but wonder why no one has thought of dropping Wonna. Yes he played well on the weekend but he was a late replacement for Moloney and in my opinion will probably make way.

IN: Moloney, Trengove, Junior

OUTS: Wonna, Maric, Bail

Not because they played bad but because in the balance of the team they are not in the best 22 at the moment.

Saying that I know Bailey likes to give everyone a couple of weeks so thinking we might see some general soreness.

But so glad we are playing on a Sat instead of a Sun so we actually have to name a team - not a squad.

3 changes to a team that won by 12 goals and all players you have out are all omitted?

I'm glad you're not a selector either!!!

Geez...hard to form a case to drop Aussie !!! He reveled in it on the day.

And your not willing to bring in arguably 3 of our best players?

Aussie is fit...and played a pretty fare game. Junior got through his magoo but quite a bit rusty..do you still rush him.

Id keep Aussie ahead of Maric and PJ at this juncture.

Much will need to be done on the training track. Theres no easy picks ay more. Im sure Bails will wat Aussie to get at least a couple of back to back ( to back) games.

The best 22 isnt so obvious anymore is it ?

Agree, the best 22 is fading and horses for corses is starting to emerge. I understand your points about Aussie and he can break a game open but if you are picking a 22 to play against Brisbane from scratch Moloney and a fit McDonald are two of the first names picked and thats why I believe we will make changes to a winning (and what a win) 22.

How everyone trains and what roles that will need to be played will come into consideration - who knows if we need 6 taggers next week (Junior, Dunn, Benell, Bartram, Jones & McKenzie).

However it falls there are going to be some unlucky demons out there.

It's all well and good to say that Maric showed some good things and 'earned' another game.

But that has to be assessed relative to who else might deserve the spot. The unknown here is obviously injury and that is something it's quite useless for any of us to hypothesise on, it is 100% guesswork, so let's just assume for the moment that the 3 most likely to return are all fit.

Do any of the posters calling for Maric to be retained at all costs genuinely believe he has earned that spot more than the bloke who leads the club this season in:

Disposals

1st possessions (by 50 to the next best)

Clearances

Inside 50s

Contested Possessions

Uncontested Possessions

And is 2nd in the club in Tackles??

It is not a "slap in the face" to be squeezed out of a team by a player of that calibre. Frankly, it would be a slap in the face to our potential B&F Brent Moloney if he was held out of the team because "the young kid just deserves another game".

IN: McDonald, Moloney

OUT: Maric (can't find anyone else), Scully (rest)

* Trengove to come back through Casey.

FB: Garland, Frawley, Bartram

HB: MacDonald, Rivers, Bail

C: Morton, McKenzie, Davey

HF: Watts, Dunn, Sylvia

FF: Jurrah, Green, Wonaemirri

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald

INT: Bennell, Bruce, Johnson, Jones

EMERG: Bate, Maric, Trengove

Fully Agree with this. Yesterday the use of Jurrah, Wonna and Bennell created the forward pressure of now and the future. The more game time together the better for them. The back 6 pick themselves now, so resting scully is a good move, but keep everyone else in barring injury is the way to go, unless matchups say otherwise.

Well k-i-m Junior was touted as a possible for this weeks game but held back...he came through without setting the world on fire...and he probably ought to at that level ( VFL ) so it was wise for the club to be patient and they might be again, just to be sure. Whats the rush ?

Some players, and Beamer might be amongst them, are not the auto 22 pick they once were !! This is a freight train picking upspeed...no passengers allowed . Nfam suggestig Moloney is...but if others can claw ahead of you you ( as a player ) will have to lift. This is whats happening, the team as a whole is dragging itself up the ladder of ability ( and expectations ) We , when all fit have quite a lot of players who can play ( apol for that oxy ) but I feel many will get the drift there.

Theres also the requirement to maintain balance and or bias according to the needs of negating the opposition.

We ( well many...would you beleive...some!! ) of us sort of saw this coming, that one day when some of this kids came on that it would no be straight forward anymore to pick your 18/22..

Gabba might be hard on underdone injury reparations.. just food for thought

Gabba might be hard on underdone injury reparations.. just food for thought

And this is why I wouldn't bring in Moloney or Junior. Make sure that they are fully healed, and play a few games on a decent surface!

McDonald to have one more week off! He will play his 250th against Nth. Melbourne if he plays the last 4 games and misses Brisbane.

Junior to play his 250th in Adelaide or at the MCG?

At the MCG I would think! He didnt star for Casey!

No changes.

As we should punish losses with changes to non-performers, we should maintain the same side (if possible) after performances like yesterday and reward the 22 who were outstanding.

According to Titan:

In McDonald, Maloney, Trengove

Out. Maric, Maric, Maric oh and by the way MARIC.

You already posted your ins and outs so why repeat yourself? What is your problem with the kid? There should be a list of members and the players they constantly bag so the rest of us can ignore the biased posts.

FWIW, I thought he was improved yesterday on his performances of 2009. Much improved. But he was, in my mind, the 22nd best player, and if the talent of McDonald, Trengove and/or Moloney is ready to go (not a certainty) and we have no injuries (no certainty), Maric would be the first one I'd drop.

It's all well and good to say that Maric showed some good things and 'earned' another game.

But that has to be assessed relative to who else might deserve the spot. The unknown here is obviously injury and that is something it's quite useless for any of us to hypothesise on, it is 100% guesswork, so let's just assume for the moment that the 3 most likely to return are all fit.

Do any of the posters calling for Maric to be retained at all costs genuinely believe he has earned that spot more than the bloke who leads the club this season in:

Disposals

1st possessions (by 50 to the next best)

Clearances

Inside 50s

Contested Possessions

Uncontested Possessions

And is 2nd in the club in Tackles??

It is not a "slap in the face" to be squeezed out of a team by a player of that calibre. Frankly, it would be a slap in the face to our potential B&F Brent Moloney if he was held out of the team because "the young kid just deserves another game".

Good. I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

Maric is contracted for next year. He doesn't need the pressing game time to push his case like some think he does.

Edited by titan_uranus

Precisely. Maric was okay yesterday - as I said to t_u yesterday I didn't think he deserved to be singled out - but the fact is t_u and yourself have a point: he was 22nd best yesterday and will make way. No, it's not fair and yes, he does probably deserve another run, but it's just tough luck. In footy, when you're a fringe player then you do a lot of warming the spots of others when they're out. Just ask Shannon Byrnes (hasn't worked out too badly for him in the end has it?)

If all three of Trengove, Moloney and McDonald are available then there are going to be three very unlucky players who play in the VFL next week.

Paul Johnson is my choice number two.

I'm still stuffed for a third.

How could we suggest to drop Cale Morton except for the second half of the last quarter he beat or at the least broke even with Adam Goodes who was by far Sydney's best player and had been for quite a few years, so lets get off his back as a youngster in the side he needs game time, and I am sure that this is the club's plan also

The reality is, that if we want to win, we need to play our best available team, and that means playing Moloney, Junior and IMO Warnock, who needs to play on Fevola.

Scully is due for a rest, and there were sightings of Dunn on crutches post-match, but other than that it's going to be a case of match-ups, and some players being very stiff to miss due to matchups.

We are no longer pissfarting around with games. If we're serious about winning this game, which is VERY winnable on form, then we can't be leaving behind our captain, our best clearance player, and the best defensive solution we have for Fev/Brown.

On the strength of the team's performance, NO CHANGE.

Scully doesn't need a 'rest' and there's little point at this stage of the season; he played well on Sunday.

Watts doesn't need it either, and he made some vital contributions despite appearing to run around much of the time without gathering the ball that often. I think he should play out the season now, and gain a bit of hardness.

Morton played pretty well on Goodes, when Goodes went out of the forward zone, and he did some good things including a goal.

I can't see one other player not deserving another match after their performance.

But you will find that there may well be small injury niggles that were not apparent after the game, and we won't know what they are until later in the week. The club will add on to an extended match list a couple of players who deserve a game or are fit to come back, and make a decision about their possibly replacing the sore or injured at the last possible moment, as they did last week with Moloney and Wona. There must be quite a doubt over the readiness of McDonald and Moloney, and let's face it there is no urgency about Junior returning.

On Watts' game against the Swans, I saw a lot to be excited about. The guy does heaps of unrewarded running. Heaps. Sometimes he is running to the right spots and guys don't move as quick as he does. Other times he has a bit to learn about where to run. But he has a really aerobic capacity. He is also super below his knees and likes sharing the ball. When he gets some meat on the bones and a bit of confidence, we will have a gem IMO. So I would play him every week, because every game is a game closer to the breakout game.