• Latest Podcast: Round 09 vs Carlton

davejemmolly

The Curnow Brothers at the Tribunal

Posted (edited)

Both Curnow boys have been referred to the tribunal for making contact with an umpire.

This weeks keeps getting better!

Edited by Demonland
Thread Title Change
  • Like 4

May Gets off, can they get off?

Although may was talking to the umpire, whereas both curnow's don't seem to be.. interesting

May is demonstrating what he does and has his head down, both curnows deliberately place hands on the umps. Ed def gone, Charlie might get away with fine.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, davejemmolly said:

Both Curnow boys have been referred to the tribunal for making contact with an umpire.

This weeks keeps getting better!

I hope they get off and play.

No excuses when we demolish Carrlton and get another % boost.

• Like 2

With May off, they are a good chance of getting off. However, May got off because it was not intentional contact. I don't believe the same case can be mounted for either of the Curnow's.

Charlie specifically was intentional (even though it looked like he was trying to get the umpire away from a minor scuffle).

10 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

May is demonstrating what he does and has his head down, both curnows deliberately place hands on the umps. Ed def gone, Charlie might get away with fine.

My thoughts as well.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure what to think of the Hawkins incident. At first, I figured a fine or one-match ban. I believe the outcome was just.

When I saw May contact the umpire, immediately I thought fine. It was foolish of him but unlike Hawkins it wasn't done in an aggressive or defensive manner.

Conversely, I see Ed Curnow's incident to be the same if not worse than Hawkins as he pushed the umpire in the chest, albeit with little force, out of frustration. I expect him to get one-week.

I haven't seen Charlie Curnow's incident yet.

• Like 1

I didn't think there was much in the Hawkins one to be honest, and I'd really thought that the AFL had decided on a 'just don't touch the umpires stance'.

Appears that they've walked back from that a mere 6 days later

• Like 4

Of course the conspiracy theorist in me says that no way will the AFL ruin Carlton's glory week.... (remember Cotchin) :)

Now if it were the MFC ... well.....

• Angry 1

I didn’t think you could place a hand on an umpire for any reason, other than it was unavoidable?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They all should have got a week. Swear at an umpire, get a 50. Touch an umpire, get a week. Hit an umpire,  get a lifetime ban. Simple. Obvious. And therefore never gonna happen.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 5

Having seen the footage of both I think Ed will get a week and Charlie will get a fine.

Charlie could plead he was moving the umpire out of the way of the scuffle and get a fine for the no contact rule. 

• Like 3

Actually think both should go. You don't touch the umpire ever. Sends a very bad message to suburban leagues that already have large numbers of nuffies if they get off.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ignition. said:

I haven't seen Charlie Curnow's incident yet.

Williams got 9 weeks for a similar push.

Ed will probably only get a week...

Meh... nothing in either. Prefer to play and beat them full strength.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I know it's stupid but Charlie's gone ... he was going for the pack... saw the umpire getting into his path and gently pushed the umpire out of the way.

He almost certainly knew it was the umpire as can be deduced from the strength of the push... an opposition player would have got a forceful shove.

His obligation there was to avoid the umpire .. but then again this was the rule last week and this week...play on !!

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

I think it depends if the AFL want to make a statement and nip the umpire touching in the bud. Every kid playing footy is told from day 1 that they can never touch an umpire. Its not like they didn't know. Both were intentional, regardless of reason. At least May's was accidental... sort of.

I’m surprised Charlie’s been sent to the tribunal. I suspect that $1k will jump out of his pocket after tomorrow’s hearing.

Ed looks in a bit more trouble.

Ed will get a week, Charlie just a fine.

Whatever the outcome I'm sure we'll be

preparing for their best :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Does Charlie touch the umpires hand? There's probably another angle. Either way the way he's gesturing suggests he is brushing his the umps hand away or moving him away. I think this on could be looked at as similar to Tom Hawkins. A deliberate gesture to the umpire to move him out of the space doesn't look good and you even see the umpire almost stumble backwards.

Either way I can't see both of them getting off. After May got off there will be pressure to continue the precedent set with the Hawkins case the week prior.

Both of these guys are real X factors for this club. I would be happy for either to miss but maybe Charlie more so as we seem to struggle with athletic mid/talls who can push up the ground and impact games across the ground. i think Charlie could be a top 10 player one day. He's got the makings of a star.

Edited by mongrel