Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Media Going Hysterical

solly21

9 hours ago, Adzman said:

Our injury list is longer than Ron Jeremy's appendage and the media expect us to be competitive??

We were never beating Sydney with that team. The result doesn't change what this playing group has achieved so far this season. Let the media talk us down. I doubt 5th place would be pleased to see us at full strength week 1 of the finals if we finish 8th.

How long have you been sitting on that one? :D

12 hours ago, solly21 said:

I just can't believe how over the top the media have been since Friday night. We lose our first game in 5 weeks & the media have completely gone overboard. Danny Frawley claiming because of our performance we were drinking our on bath water reading to much about ourselves. Micky Malthouse saying the same & telling Melbourne to grow up. In my opinion this is way over the top has anyone taken into account our 3 concecutive 6 day breaks the last 6 day break coming back from Perth in a night match which also meant we had to stay in Perth until Sunday. What about the injury list going into friday night we had 5 of our best 10 players out Jones, Hogan, Watts, Salem & Garlett. Let me see another club have 5 of there best 10 players out after 3 concecutive 6 day break & the last one coming home from Perth in a night match having to stay in Perth overnight let see how they perform & i bet my life if they performed like we did & were flat they would excuse them. Lets just hold off for a few weeks & settle down

We accept the praise.

Now we just have to accept the criticism, even if it is a tad over the top.  This is a 24 hour news cycle now, with a spectrum of media talent out there, trying to cut through.

We can sook about it, or just grow up and accept it.

Simpletons like one simple reason or coincidence to explain complex events.  Take heed of this, and you will endure a lot of what is regurgitated in the media and here.

• Like 1

Love him or hate him, Donald Trump has got one thing right.  And, that's his disdain for the media.  And, doesn't that upset them?!!  They just can't handle it when someone so high profile goes after them.

40 minutes ago, Vagg said:

Love him or hate him, Donald Trump has got one thing right.  And, that's his disdain for the media.  And, doesn't that upset them?!!  They just can't handle it when someone so high profile goes after them.

In no way is he 'right' or 'righteous' in his crusade against the media. The corporate media are finally doing their job and holding lies to account and THAT is what he has disdain for - not the shitty journalistic malfeasance that propelled him to prominence and the presidency.

The media having a short memory and a desire for worn narratives is not new - I don't know why Dees fans care so much. Perhaps it is because we have been irrelevant for so long that we are unsure of ourselves when it is the Demons that are now in the eye of the shambolic and hyperventilating footy media world.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Vagg said:

Huh? Donald Trump LOVES the media, his whole career he's been a desperate media [censored], seeking it out at every opportunity, craving every bit of attention and fame he could get. And his chief-of-staff came directly from managing a niche media operation. What Trump doesn't like is critical media. It would actually be accurate to say that President Trump is actively trying to disparage the last remaining fragments of credible media.

Anyway, best not to turn things unnecessarily political here. There are sub-forums for that.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Go the Biff said:

Wayne Carey said on Talking Footy that there were excuses for us on Friday night, citing the four games in 18 days, travel from Perth and injuries.

Just when I think someone gets it, in the next breath he goes "no excuses for them next week though". 

Not sure how an 8 day break is going to help when around 7 of our 10 keys players are out but that's the level of analysis you get in the footy media.

Heard that, nearly choked on my dinner.

I love that Captain Jones is flying the flag for the club.  He talks about the various issues we have faced recently.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nathan-jones-says-tom-bugg-has-burnt-trust-with-the-demons-following-callum-mills-hit-20170703-gx41li.html

Despite the flak we have received of late he is supporting our players and our club.  He is not shying away from the club wanting to 'play on the edge'.  He has played it with a straight bat and has struck the right note between contrition and defence.

It shows grit by him and the club to withstand the recent maelstrom of the media and not take a backward step. 

My take:  we will not be intimidated on or off the field!

• Like 5

Of course the media are going to sensationalise events, that's what sells papers and generates advertising revenue.

They went too far in one direction last week, now they are going too far in reverse this week. Essendon have copped it previously, Richmond are guaranteed to cop it next time they have a disappointing loss.

Ultimately, who really cares? 

What does matter is members of the playing group who get distracted by the hype surrounding them, and go off drinking when forbidden to do so, or punch blokes in the face. These are the events that would really upset the coach, not what he reads in the paper each morning.

16 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The media smell blood. They are not picky who gets hurt. But they do have favourites

look at Essendon. The CEO & The Board should have been charged 

The CEO of the day bolted and has said nothing. 

If it were us we would have been eaten alive

US v THEM

We have to be strong

That's the biggest load of hyperbolic, we're-the-victim, conspiratorial tosh I've ever read.

• Like 4

Don't think the team got ahead of themselves at all.  I think our supporters and those who post on CoincidenceLand might have.  When you go into a game minus Watts/Hogan/Garlett, FCS, that is a potential AA forward line.  Then you have Gawn, who is still so cautious running and kicking, second game back, which is notoriously the harder mountain to climb.  Then you have the other players missing.

The bookies had Sydney at $1.81 near the bounce.  Was there a better bet than that this season, especially when they were playing a strong Casey team?

pTGR

6 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I love that Captain Jones is flying the flag for the club.  He talks about the various issues we have faced recently.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nathan-jones-says-tom-bugg-has-burnt-trust-with-the-demons-following-callum-mills-hit-20170703-gx41li.html

Despite the flak we have received of late he is supporting our players and our club.  He is not shying away from the club wanting to 'play on the edge'.  He has played it with a straight bat and has struck the right note between contrition and defence.

It shows grit by him and the club to withstand the recent maelstrom of the media and not take a backward step. 

My take:  we will not be intimidated on or off the field!

Spoken like a true captain. Give the media enough to run a story but support and back your teammates because at the end of the day they are the ones you go into battle with every week. Well done Jonesy. 

Funny they mentioned Jesse's incident with Sam Rowe as "Ugly", I still feel like that was the biggest stitch up ever. Open palm slap getting two weeks for his first offence. Absolute joke. 

44 minutes ago, low flying Robbo said:

David King this afternoon again said the Dees haven't gotten ahead of themselves. He blamed the 3 x 6 day breaks and our players looking tired. He also said don't jump off the dees just yet.

King's comments last week were premature, I think most Demons fans were/are getting excited but when faced with what lies ahead of us now we are in the battle for the 8. Not a battle for the 4. 

Don't worry the media can now move on to the next player to focus on and they will forget about Bug now it's over.

The way the media went on and on and on about this is bullying like behaviour. 

They r parasites of the highest order. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 2

How great is this...

Mark Robinson was just on AFL360 questioning Melbourne and our undisciplined behaviour with Jordan Lewis. He then turned to Jack Riewoldt and says 'It's not at like at Richmond, where I can't recall one undisciplined act this year'. And without skipping a beat Anthony Hudson chimes in with 'Ahhh, Bachar Houli last week'.

Classic.

It perfectly sums up how short term the current AFL news cycle is, and how quickly it shifts.

• Like 8

Last week they had us winning the flag, this week we have a poor culture and need to grow up, part of me thinks that the extreme's of the analysis is a bad reflection of the industry but part of me is just happy they are talking about Melbourne.

9 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

How great is this...

Mark Robinson was just on AFL360 questioning Melbourne and our undisciplined behaviour with Jordan Lewis. He then turned to Jack Riewoldt and says 'It's not at like at Richmond, where I can't recall one undisciplined act this year'. And without skipping a beat Anthony Hudson chimes in with 'Ahhh, Bachar Houli last week'.

Classic.

It perfectly sums up how short term the current AFL news cycle is, and how quickly it shifts.

Robinson really is brain dead. It is cringeworthy that he no doubt pulls a big wage. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

How great is this...

Classic.

Agree with the last point- just don't forget Slobbo's always half-cut, too!

1 hour ago, The heart beats true said:

How great is this...

Classic.

Hahahahaha

Classic Blobbo

2 minutes ago, Monocology said:

*a hit to the back of the head (the less vulnerable area........) of an MFC player will however earn a 5 week reduction on a 7 week offence.

Indeed, that act was out of character supposedly. That's all we heard for a week from Richmond and the media.

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Gill said he wanted a strong Essendon

We are not in that league...yet

Yet it was the AFL that basically set up and imposed Peter Jackson on the MFC.  I don't think they would have done that if your narative above was true.  We cab all be thankful for that and hindsight has shown it to be one of the most prudent administrative moves by the AFL in decades.