POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

2 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

He's a commentary lightweight now and should retire. It was emabarrassing last night on how thoughfully Jack Reiwoldt dissected the game and provided sensible comemmenary juxtaposed to dermie who was basically lazy.

Saying the Cats could have won had they kicked better, , but ignored the dominanane of the Dees in 3rd quarter by only kicked 2.7 from many easy chances.  Same -  same.

I'll look forward the Joey Montagna's take tonight then basically ignore media prognosticators rest of the week.

(Not) looking at you Kingy

Yes, it was amazing wasn't it. we were dominating the third quarter but kept missing some easy shots, could have been four goals up at 3/4 time. How he came to that conclusion was amazing. Needs to look up predicted score.

But weird seeing people potting Dermie in here. He said the best team won but the Cats could've stolen it if they kicked straight. He acknowledged we were the better team and should've won. Where has this narrative come from that he said we didn't deserve to win? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

Brilliant win. So impressive.

Lever has gone to another level this year. Has always been very good clearly, but is just dominant right now.

All our young guns too. Can't get over the level of ability of kids like Windsor, but also guys like Woey Junior just looking really solid, and then Howes, McVee, Turner. Can't quite remember a class of youngsters like this where they're been so composed and reliable beyond their years. In times gone by you'd expect a lot less of them because they're so young, but it's quite amazing.

Lever's in career best form.
Has it on a string ATM.

As for the young fellas coming in to the team now with the mature leadership directing them around the ground.
Blokes who have been there, done it and respected throughout the game, Gawn, Viney, Trac, Oliver, May and Lever.
Think back to when Neeld was Coach.
Right now he'd be thinking of making Windsor the captain.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1

Just listened to Scott's interview, he.s really all over the place with his answers, sounds like he has NFI.

• Like 2

Lever was best on ground last night and is on his way to another All Australian guernsey. He's intercepting well, but it's his rebound that's improved this year. His side step through traffic and tackles is brilliant and seems to work every time. He's the form defender of the league atm. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Another dissatisfied customer?IMG_2899.thumb.jpeg.751f605445cd027e270eb2f9b462aa84.jpeg

This was bizarre. The deranged look on her face made it even more unsettling.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

But weird seeing people potting Dermie in here. He said the best team won but the Cats could've stolen it if they kicked straight. He acknowledged we were the better team and should've won. Where has this narrative come from that he said we didn't deserve to win? 

Because people don't listen to what he says they just don't like him,  but I must admit some of his comments were a bit strange last night.

That was such a good game to go and watch! We were the better team for majority of the game and would've been plenty further ahead if we had taken our chances more. Was so good to see Petty provide such a good marking target and return to form. He may have turned it over a few times but he would've taken such confidence out of how he was clunking everything that came his way. He really only needed to tidy up his disposal a bit at times and it would've been a near perfect game for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

scott was pretty upbeat in the press conference and with good reason - they were missing arguably two their starting midfielders and their key forwards couldn't split the middle

he talked his team up not down, which is exactly what goodwin does when we have a narrow loss too

ultimately, these wins are vital in terms of positioning for september; we should both be aiming for a top 4 finish

gonna be a tight one in 2024

This is not a time for such measured, sensible posts!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, forever demons said:

Wow what a burst,take deep breaths and have a lay down.And well said

Yep, fair call.

Edited post to calm it down some.

10 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Yeah that was terrible. He was standing on his seat and fell forward, over the seat in front of him, his head hitting the ground in front of that seat. Because it was the row in front it meant a longer drop. They put screens up around him while paramedics worked on him. We were ordered to vacate the bay immediately. We’ll know tomorrow how he is. 🤞🏼 

Update: Adam is in hospital but is expected to be discharged today. No serious injuries. 👍🏽

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, loges said:

Just listened to Scott's interview, he.s really all over the place with his answers, sounds like he has NFI.

Seemed like he didn’t want to give us credit so spoke around most of the questions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loges said:

Every side that makes finals is a contender, some will get closer than others but they are all contending.

Disagree.

Every team that makes top 4 is a contender.

Which is not to say that a team outside top can't win in.

But the fact remains it is exceedingly rare for teams outside the top 4 to win a flag.

And i would contend the game is so demanding now its harder than its ever because of the impact of the extra game. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

But the idea that our defence occurs in a vacuum in the modern game is ridiculous. If the mids don't put on sufficient post pressure (watch the replay, we were superb all game), Geelong forwards would get it lace out and our defenders would have little chance.

I take your point. It's a true statement. I would like to mention how Oliver was a different player in the last quarter and set up a lot of our attack. Without him going and collecting the pill and bringing his tally to a whopping 31 possies we would not have attacked so much. 

Yes the midfield was symbiotic to our backline but it changed to a more aggressive mode towards the end and hey presto the goals started flowing.

It's a fine balance and maybe orchestrated that way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Update: Adam is in hospital but is expected to be discharged today. No serious injuries. 👍🏽

Did Jade enjoy her day,31 went well for her

• Like 1
  • Love 2

We play so much better as underdogs. As marvellous as that win was, I hope we keep the lid on. Will be hard but we are firm favorites when we are not. I think we got ahead of ourselves perhaps after the Adelaide success. Not sure if this is fact or just seems to be. In any case let's stay mom for a while on the media if we can and do our talking again with the ball come Thursday. Go Dees.

50 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Another dissatisfied customer?IMG_2899.thumb.jpeg.751f605445cd027e270eb2f9b462aa84.jpeg

Is that a Specsavers add?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, old dee said:

I must admit I have never been a big fan of Goodwin but this year he seems to have gone up a level. Doing a good job this season. But it once again shows players make coaches. 

What level was he on when we won the flag?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

We need all the radio calls posted here of the Fritta dribbler. 

Now this is enough to make me watch AFL360 for the first time this year. 

Do they still do quad call?

Incredible win considering the amount of chances we let slip in the middle part of the game, but the pressure was fantastic. 
I have no idea how these boys will front up in 5 days. It’s a brutal fixture this year. 
I don’t think the AFL give a stuff about player welfare…

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

I'll look forward the Joey Montagna's take tonight then basically ignore media prognosticators rest of the week.

(Not) looking at you Kingy

Had a nice convo with Jay Clark on the train after the match. I told him I watch  Midweek Tackle because I really like Sam Landsberger and that’s mainly because he generally has positive things to say about the Dees. I lamented the lack of journos who’ll do the same. Jay said “How about Joey Montagna? He loves the Demons!” I told him that fact wasn’t lost on us.

LOL… I also told him watching his show gives me motion-sickness since the camera continually moves left to right and back again zooming in and out nonstop for the entire show.  He thought that was hilarious but thanked me for the feedback and said he’s gonna mention it to the producers. So in other words, nothing will change 😅

Jay told me that while we may not have the biggest or loudest cheer squad (fair call), we’re “considered the most passionate.” Awesome to hear. ❤️💙 The convo ended with me giving him grief for being a Geelong supporter. 😂 Then his wife said, “In that case, maybe I shouldn’t tell you I’m an Eagles supporter.” 😂😂

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

Strange game last night at half time either side could have been 3 - 4 goals up. After the break we dominated but could not, kick staight,  some due to non composure by players who just rush their disposal, the last quarter well there was some great plays and goals but the funniest was Fritschs goal on the boundary it was like watching 2 players in slow motion expecting the ball to go out of bounds except it didn't but it was a great dribble.

We still have a few players who are like a deer in the headlights and by that I mean when under pressure to release the ball or just cannot move the ball on quickly and they are TMac, River's, ANB, sparrow, lever and to a lesser extent Kossie but with him I think his body is out of sink with the brain.

Max should never be allowed to take a kick in general play someone should run past him unless he is 60 out from goal ( don't think there is not a lot of oxygen up that high.)

Liked the ball coming in a lot lower and more central and thought Petty was good playing further up the ground and provided a spark but would like to see players move around dragging their opponents out of the hot spot a lot more, JVR needs to learn how to use his body a lot more.

But the one real pleasing thing was the backline and that's a credit to May and Lever who organise the group where to go and loved watching Cameron and Hawkings not having any real influence except for Cameron who missed those shots in the last.

Hoping when McAdam is ready he will add another dynamic to the mix as he likes to lead as a forward, next week another test and if our forward line can function a lot better things in 24 will be a lot better.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, loges said:

Would be nice if he paid respect to the opposition like goody always does ... apparently they lost it we didn't win it ... in the finals in 21 the excuse was they had a cold 

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

24 minutes ago, forever demons said:

Did Jade enjoy her day,31 went well for her

Oh my god, she had the absolute time of her life. It was taxing on her, which we’d anticipated, but her enthusiasm and unbridled joy were unwavering and totally infectious. Such a wonderful experience for her. And yes, 31 did have her losing her mind 😂 Her arms were tired but she held his giant head up regardless, even when she was too tired to stand up. She joined in every single chant with gusto. Many’s the time Pauline and I looked at each other with tears in our eyes. Then, this happened…

Not a dry eye in the cheer squad

Fritta made her night complete. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4