CASEY: Rd 06 vs Williamstown

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Hunter, managed for Thursday, take it to the bank a likely in same as BBB 

Didn't you say say this about Clayton Oliver not playing against Richmond and yet he played??

Screenshot_20240505_195701_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a6483948d65869ecda778a6a0c52af4f.jpg

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Didn't you say say this about Clayton Oliver not playing against Richmond and yet he played??

Screenshot_20240505_195701_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a6483948d65869ecda778a6a0c52af4f.jpg

Yep Correct Dazz, but again my intel was that the decision might have been overuled!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yep Correct Dazz, but again my intel was that the decision might have been overuled!

I'll back you for this week then Byron..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Um did someone say Jeffo no good? Kicked 3 in a losing side, had a direct input into 3 others and should have kicked another, naysayers CGGF🤩

You should put the mozz on all of our young fellas, Picket! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Demonsterative said:

Or, just the kid some praise for what was an impactful performance today. Well done Jeffo! 

Jeffo is not comparable to JVR! Different type of players. JVR was playing AFL in his second yearand is now copping flack from some on here for being a poor mark of the ball. 

Credit where it’s due. 

I thought I did? 

UNDER THE PUMP by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons have been left languishing near the bottom of the VFL table after suffering a 32-point defeat at the hands of stand alone club Williamstown at Casey Fields on Sunday.

The Demons suffered a major setback before the game even started when AFL listed players Ben Brown, Marty Hore and Josh Schache were withdrawn from the selected side. Only Schache was confirmed as an injury replacement, the other two held over as possible injury replacements for Melbourne’s Thursday night fixture against Carlton. 

The replacements didn’t end there as forward Shane McAdam left the field early with concussion. Lachie Hunter, who was quiet up to half time, saw no further action after the main break, suggesting that he was also being held back. With the continuing absence of injured centreman Campbell Hustwaite and the resting  (management) of defender Leo Connolly, the home side was almost bereft of strong bodies with experienced heads.

Against ladder heavyweights Williamstown, Casey was left flat footed. They managed the opening goal from Harvey Neocleous in the first minute or so of the game but then struggled to score when slightly favoured by a cross wind for the remainder of the term and their next goal took a while coming. By that time the Seagulls were in command. 

Adam Tomlinson was getting plenty of touches in the early going but one or two errors proved costly and his influence waned after a dominant opening term.

The second quarter saw Willy quickly skip away to a 23 point lead, at which time a sudden and unexpected change came over the game.

Enter Roy George, unheralded debutant and former Peel Thunder player who kicked the first of his three goals to stem the tide in mid term and contributed to another by chipping the ball to Kynan Brown before the buzzer to see the team only 15 points adrift at half time. 

Fans around the ground were asking “who is this effervescent small forward Roy George?” 

The answer is that the 179cm tall, 87kg journeyman originally named as an emergency who got his call up when Melbourne withdrew three of its players from the team before the game, hails from Bunbury WA. He has played for Peel Thunder in the WAFL and over the past couple of years, his name has bobbed up in country Victoria and in the Northern Territory in the off season.

George remained in the thick of things in the third quarter, kicking two quick goals and assisting in others. Against the odds, Casey was now back in the game thanks to his brilliance coupled with the strong defensive play of Andy Moniz-Wakefield who finished with a game-high 30 disposals and seven marks. 

The team’s younger guns Matt Jefferson, Koltyn Tholstrup and Ollie Sestan all contributed to the team’s sudden reversal of fortunes. Jefferson in particular, had a strong second half after a quiet start and was another who led a third quarter charge that saw Casey incredibly holding a six point lead at the final break. 

The Seagulls still had the ace card as they had the advantage of the wind at their backs in the final term but when Jefferson goaled five minutes into the quarter, an upset seemed a possibility. 

Not to be deterred, Willy plugged away and fought back to again wrest the lead in mid quarter. Casey’s cause was not helped by the fact that two of their Melbourne listers were off for all of the second half. George’s influence faded at the end, as did one or two others who had carried a heavy load through the game’s difficult conditions. 

Once Williamstown got their noses in front, the floodgates opened. With experienced, ex GWS Giant 203cm ruckman Tom Downie, dominant and ex Casey player Corey Ellison booting four goals, the visitors romped home with six of the last seven majors of the game. 

Although beaten in the ruck, Will Verrall had 17 disposals and 23 hitouts while Kynan Brown finished with 15 touches, 10 tackles and a goal. Mitch White (21 disposals) and Tyler Edwards (20 possessions) battled hard all day for Casey.

The Casey Demons are now a shadow of the team that won the flag less than two years ago and will remain under the pump as long as the VFL fixture makes it difficult for the club to play its strongest team with players held back to potentially remain fresh to face off against opponents on short breaks. Their next game is against Carlton at Ikon Park on Friday.

CASEY DEMONS 1.0.6 3.3.21 8.6.54 10.8.68

WILLIAMSTOWN 1.4.10 5.6.36 7.6.54 15.10.100

GOALS 

CASEY DEMONS George Jefferson 3 Brown Edwards Neocleous White

WILLIAMSTOWN Ellison 4 McLoughlin Petric 3 Brown Ebinger Gadsby Henderson Toner

BEST 

CASEY DEMONS Moniz-Wakefield White Edwards Verrall George Tomlinson Brown

WILLIAMSTOWN Downie Ellison Toner McLaughlin Fitzgerald Triffett

Disposals 

Jed Adams 7 kicks 3 handballs 10 disposals 4 marks 36 dream team points
Jake Bell 1 behind 3 kicks 2 handballs 5 disposals 4 marks 2 tackles 34 dream team points
Kynan Brown 1 goal 6 kicks 9 handballs 15 disposals 2 marks 10 tackles 88 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 1 goal 16 kicks 4 handballs 20 disposals 6 marks 4 tackles 100 dream team points
Tom Freeman 6 kicks 4 handballs 10 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 50 dream team points
Tom Fullarton 1 behind 9 kicks 2 handballs 11 disposals 3 marks 10 hitouts 51  dream team points
Roy George 3 goals 7 kicks 5 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 1 tackles 64 dream team points
Max Gregory 3 kicks 6 handballs 9 disposals 2 marks 24 dream team points
Lachie Hunter 3 kicks 1 handballs 4 disposals 3 marks 17 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 3 goals 2 behinds 6 kicks 6 handballs 12 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 74 dream team points
Brayden Laplanche 4 kicks 2 handballs 6 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 34 dream team points
Shane McAdam 1 kicks 2 handballs 3 disposals 1 mark 10 dream team points 
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 23 kicks 7 handballs 30 disposals 7 marks 3 tackles 114 dream team points
Ned Moodie 6 kicks 10 handballs 16 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 49 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 1 goal 4 kicks 2 handballs 6 disposals 22 dream team points
Ollie Sestan 1 behind 11 kicks 3 handballs 14 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 59 dream team points
Roan Steele 5 kicks 1 handballs 6 disposals 2  tackles 22 dream team points
Mitch Szybkowski 8 kicks 2 handballs 10 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 42 dream team points
Koltyn Tholstrup 7 kicks 5 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 6 tackles 66 dream team points
Adam Tomlinson 16 kicks 4 handballs 20 disposals 8 marks 3 tackles 86 dream team points
Will Verrall 8 kicks 9 handballs 17 disposals 2 marks 5 tackles 23 hitouts 92 dream team points
Mitch White 1 goal 13 kicks 8 handballs 21 disposals 3 marks 7 tackles 98 dream team points
Kai Windsor 2 kicks 2 handballs 4 disposals 1 mark 10 dream team points

IMG_2958.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Two questions from me:

• Jed Adams. How is he developing? We'll need another key defender possily as soon as next year if McDonald retires.
  • AWM. 30 disposals, is that a career high? What would his role in the AFL be? Seems to get a bit of interest with DL posters but i've never even seen him as an emergency for the AFL.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Adams will be part of the men’s department; with Turner having gone ‘upstairs’ as a forward, Adams will develop into another interception player

Moniz-Wakefield is a half back rebounder - I worry about his usage but he’s getting to the correct spots and impacting with ball use

Jefferson was a markedly different player without Schache and Brown down there as tall targets; add 10kg of muscle and he’s going to be a player 

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Again MFC being conservative with players.   Brown, Hore, Schache, Hunter all saved in case they are called up for Thursday night. Unlikely except for Hunter who may come in.   Certainly robbed Casey of 3-4 more senior players.  

AMW had a good game imv.  He has developed well and I think he thoroughly deserves a debut shortly.  Good intensity and tackling.  Wins rhe contested footy. 1-2 turnovers but that’s not unlike others including our senior group.  Certainly offers more than Billings or Laurie in my opinion.  

Otherwise good chance for some Casey youngsters to get game time.  And for talents like Roy George.  Edwards also looked classy in patches.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Again MFC being conservative with players.   Brown, Hore, Schache, Hunter all saved in case they are called up for Thursday night. Unlikely except for Hunter who may come in.   Certainly robbed Casey of 3-4 more senior players.  

AMW had a good game imv.  He has developed well and I think he thoroughly deserves a debut shortly.  Good intensity and tackling.  Wins rhe contested footy. 1-2 turnovers but that’s not unlike others including our senior group.  Certainly offers more than Billings or Laurie in my opinion.  

Otherwise good chance for some Casey youngsters to get game time.  And for talents like Roy George.  Edwards also looked classy in patches.  

Still want to see Bowey at HF, so if AMW comes in to take that role to release Bowey up the ground i will welcome his inclusion. 

• Like 1

No coincidence that the two games Matthew Jefferson has hit the scoreboard and looked dangerous is when he's been the main forward target.

I have no idea how they manage this moving forward but having Schache, Ben Brown and Tom Fullarton simply doesn't work for him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No coincidence that the two games Matthew Jefferson has hit the scoreboard and looked dangerous is when he's been the main forward target.

I have no idea how they manage this moving forward but having Schache, Ben Brown and Tom Fullarton simply doesn't work for him.

Most likely 2 will be gone by this time next year.

Kid should focus on developing not stats

• Like 3

@KC from Casey

Can you provide any further information on Roy George and the reasoning behind his inclusion to the team yesterday?

I believe he is originally from Bunbury in WA and last played WAFL back in 2022.

He's not a VFL listed player and is currently playing in the Central Highlands Football League in Victoria, so obviously I'm guessing Jason Taylor and Tim Lamb have played a role in getting him to VFL level to see how he can cope with the semi professional standard.

Boy did he look good..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jefferson is not going to be our main forward target if he ever gets to play for AFL. He needs to learn to work alongside multiple key forwards in the air, because there are not that many one on one aerial contests inside 50 at AFL level and those entries usually go to Fritsch for Melbourne. (Petty, JVR and Turner only get targeted one on one about five times each per match and that's all over the ground.)

The main issue with the other big forwards at Casey is that they are all hopeless pressure players.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Are we concerned about Tholstrup’s low possession count for the last few VFL games ? I know he is young and seems to be made of the right stuff. I thought we might be seeing a bit more from a high draft pick who played against men in the WAFL last year ? 

Casey this year with lack of experienced midfielders is probably no the easiest situation for him at the moment. 

Jason Taylor doesn’t miss that much, but Darcy Wilson for the saints who went a few picks later than Kolt looks a special player. 

Hopefully we start to see him have a bit more impact and can push again for selection soon 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

Great questions being asked. I'll throw in my 5c where I can. 

Adams - he is developing. His kicking is quite good and can take a mark. Positioning has been good and I don't find myself thinking "he keeps being beaten". Sort of where Petty was at the same stage, you see glimpses and you trust him, but he doesn't look like he is May/Lever reincarnate. Tomlinson is the central force down there, that Adams is usually not the focal point behind the ball, hence the low disposal count. There is nothing to suggest he is not going to make it. Similarly, there is nothing to suggest he is going to be playing AFL this year. I think he has shown more than O Mac and Petty did at the same stage of their development. 

AMW - I am unsure what he role would be in the AFL. Supersub? He is playing across half back because of our injury list. He has played mid and he has played forward. I think he is good, but I don't think he is a good enough kick / decision maker off half back - think what Hunt used to do for us. He can break lines, he can defend, and he can be creative, but he is not Bowey / Rivers / McVee. He is developing well, but I'd say like Woey Jr, he screams role player, rather than potential AA at some stage in his career, which I'd argue the other three I mentioned could be. I don't know if he is going to play AFL this year, but I can see him making it, either at the Dees or somewhere else. Too much talent and work rate not to make it. 

Jefferson - I think collectively (demonland) we don't know what we want Jefferson to be doing / to be. Me included. I wanted him to be the key forward next to JVR, but the more I watch, the more I like him being a Fritch 3rd key sort of player. A Tim Membrey perhaps. Last year at Casey he kicked 23 from 20 games and had a pretty poor end to the season. But he kicked a few 3s and 4s. He is not strong enough against a traditional gorilla and perhaps he isn't agile enough against a mobile hybrid tall - but he is tall and has serious hands/leap - in a way that he plucks marks you think he has no right to / he has misjudged completely. He will be a low possession player - but the possessions have been high impact. I don't have score involvement stats - but he had 3.2 and I know he was involved in 3 other scores. So 8 / 12 possessions (at least) were score involvements. And for the focal question, if I'm a young midfielder who is trying to slam it on the boot going forward, I'm heading to Schache or Brown as they have both played in AFL Grand Finals and usually are in more dangerous positions because they have been doing this a long time. And what I like about Jefferson, is if he is there, he then steps out and guards the drop of the ball. You can see in his face he is thinking about positioning and what he is being told to do all the time. Very similar to how O Mac used to play - what have I been told and where do I need to stand. Jefferson has more skills and more strings to his bow, but that is the best way I can describe it. He does chase and does try and tackle - you can see why we signed him longer because he is working very hard and won't die wondering if he could be an AFL player or not. Again, not this year in the AFL, maybe mid-next year if we are resting some players, but he is a real slow burn. 

Kolt - He and Seaston are trying to learn the inside mid game. Kolt's clearance numbers and tackles have been good, albeit his disposal count has been lower the last 2 games since returning from AFL. At Casey we tend to use the wings quite a bit, so think Tomlinson to AMW to Hunter to forward. In the centre clearances, he seems very man focused rather than ball focused, playing a defensive mid sort of role. I'd love to see him get more of the ball, because we are a better team when he does, but it is not a high possession game in the middle. I am not concerned, but I would like to see him have the ball in his hands a little more in the next few weeks. 

Question about Darcy Wilson - oh yeah! I would've loved to have him at the Dees with Windsor and Wilson our wings for the next 15 years. Kolt's ceiling still remains much higher. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Dee-licious said:

Question about Darcy Wilson - oh yeah! I would've loved to have him at the Dees with Windsor and Wilson our wings for the next 15 years. Kolt's ceiling still remains much higher. 

I was a bit of a Wilson doubter as I didn’t trust his decision making under pressure, but he’s so elite as an outside runner it rarely matters and he’s already consistent overhead for a kid which gives him another way to win clean possessions.

Kolt just looks plain athletically and isn’t doing anything special with his power. Great worker and high character, I’ve got no doubt he’ll be a long term player but the trade up without a clear target is a mistake. Burnt 2 second rounders that could’ve been forwarded in to future picks.

As was folding and giving away a 2nd rounder for McAdam when a third would’ve got it done.

The reality is we might’ve finished the last 2 list periods with Windsor, an ok role player in Kolt, some longer term rookies in Brown, Sestan, Verrall and stuff all else. As bad as Jefferson has been Adams might be worse, he can’t track the ball in the air.

Oh well, I guess we added some mature players right? Nope, a few games out of Billings, Hunter, Grundy, Hore and maybe some McAdam or Fullarton cameos if we are lucky. Whilst Gus and Joel Smith are done.

Pretty good job turning a top 4 list in to a mid table one.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1

13 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I was a bit of a Wilson doubter as I didn’t trust his decision making under pressure, but he’s so elite as an outside runner it rarely matters and he’s already consistent overhead for a kid which gives him another way to win clean possessions.

Kolt just looks plain athletically and isn’t doing anything special with his power. Great worker and high character, I’ve got no doubt he’ll be a long term player but the trade up without a clear target is a mistake. Burnt 2 second rounders that could’ve been forwarded in to future picks.

As was folding and giving away a 2nd rounder for McAdam when a third would’ve got it done.

The reality is we might’ve finished the last 2 list periods with Windsor, an ok role player in Kolt, some longer term rookies in Brown, Sestan, Verrall and stuff all else. As bad as Jefferson has been Adams might be worse, he can’t track the ball in the air.

Oh well, I guess we added some mature players right? Nope, a few games out of Billings, Hunter, Grundy, Hore and maybe some McAdam or Fullarton cameos if we are lucky. Whilst Gus and Joel Smith are done.

Pretty good job turning a top 4 list in to a mid table one.

A bit tough...

Ideally you want to add two youngsters per year to the best 22. In 2023 we did that with JVR and McVee. This year Windsor has been added and Chandler should cement his spot.

What we haven't done since the magnificent 2019 draft of Jackson, Pickett and Rivers is hit that seam of gold which just drives a team to greater heights. Then again few clubs have

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Maybe BBB was going to be genuinely rested this week - probably should have been last week.

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

Jefferson is not going to be our main forward target if he ever gets to play for AFL. He needs to learn to work alongside multiple key forwards in the air, because there are not that many one on one aerial contests inside 50 at AFL level and those entries usually go to Fritsch for Melbourne. (Petty, JVR and Turner only get targeted one on one about five times each per match and that's all over the ground.)

The main issue with the other big forwards at Casey is that they are all hopeless pressure players.

Perhaps Tony.  But is it just a coincidence that Jefferson has appeared to have had one of his better games when BBB and Shack were not playing?  And how much time did Fullerton play forward?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, picket fence said:

Um did someone say Jeffo no good? Kicked 3 in a losing side, had a direct input into 3 others and should have kicked another, naysayers CGGF🤩

I have been on the Jeffo train with you since he arrived at the club and haven’t got off yet.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

I see Tommo chosen as one of our best. Poor bloke has a hard chance breaking back in. Brown picked too. I'm assuming it was young Brown which is great to see.

So from our twos and injured I feel like players that we'd like to see back or a chance are or what we see as our depth...

Tommo

Hunter

Bowey ( injured of our best)

Salo ( as above)

McAdam

Young Brown

(Maybe the other Brown if he can find form again).

Maybe Fullerton.

Maybe the colt.

This isn't a very long list so let's hope we have a great run re injuries this year .

Who have I missed?l 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1