• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What they are saying up in Vulture Street

What they are saying about Melbourne’s win over Crows

• Why does Tom Sparrow look more like Todd Viney than Jack Viney?
  • Melbourne's clash jumper looks really nice
  • I wish the media hadn't got stuck into Melbourne
  • They're getting a bit of teamwork back into their game.
  • Really wish van Rooyen had lasted one more pick in his draft
  • After the dozens of throws Melbourne have got away with they ping an Adelaide player for that?
  • Melbourne's game style often makes for ordinary games

What they are saying about Max

• Gawn's marking around the game has returned after it became a bit inconsistent. Need to take that away from him
  • Oscar needs to go with Gawn and neutralise him
  • Would it make sense to bring Fort back in to double team Gawn? Just get both of them to rotate often and just smash into him
  • I don’t know if Oscar has it in him to play mean and nasty
  • Gawn is possibly the best ruckman of this century (I think I am starting to have him ahead of Cox) and Gawn is in good form again
  • Oscar quite often starts really well against Gawn and Gawn has mentioned before that Oscar is one of the hardest Rucks for him to play against but Gawn usually wins the battle because he can lasts a whole game. And always finishes much stronger
  • Reality is Gawn is a champion player and Oscar , for all that we love him, is an average one
  • All I see is Gawn running in to attack the ball and Oscar trying to react to him, which is so not good with Melb. midfield
  • I can see this game panning out anything from a big Demons win to a narrow Lions win, we need to bring the heat for all 4 quarters or we will get smashed

Everything else

• Ben Brown serves as the Dees big tall forward and has posed problems for us in the past
  • There is little point hoping Rayner can step up in the midfield this Thursday. The last time we played Melbourne in Rd.18, 2023, Rayner had a paltry 8 disposals, managing only 3 in the first half. That game he attended 4 centre bounces and managed 0 clearances for the game. He also failed to hold a mark. This sort of clutch, big occasion game in Melbourne is precisely the sort of game that Rayner goes missing in
  • It's very satisfying beating Melbourne - they play a horrible style of football but are hard to win against
  • I reckon Fritsch is a very smart player and would love to have him at the Lions. Despite everyone I speak to seeming to have some sort of dislike for him for a variety of reasons

And my two favourites . . .

• But the big question I think every Lions fan is wondering...will the dees inject the deadly Schacheattack into the side to dominate us. We will have to wait and see
  • Let’s hope Fagan isn’t playing the whale song and burning the relaxing aromatic oils at half time this week. His ability to put a team to sleep or not keep them on their toes is becoming legendary. Can’t afford the Traditional In-game Nap Time this week. #TINT

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1

There is a part of me that feels a bit guilty about these posts from opposition fan forums, but then I have a reality check, dive right in and enjoy them to the hilt. For too many years we were irrelevant or the butt of jokes. Now, we are respected and feared and oppo fans take pot shots at our players (a very high form of flattery).

You never know what game day will bring, but at this ,moment, we could annihilate the Bears. And it is a damn good feeling.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

51 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Why does Tom Sparrow look more like Todd Viney than Jack Viney?

Melbourne's clash jumper looks really nice

Great to see they’re focussing on the important aspects. 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

We’ve played an extra game…

Yeah and they scored 112 points against North. Our average points for are still higher than theirs without playing one of the worst sides in the history of football. 

• Like 7

I was hoping they’d give us some to img about last year’s come from behind win. I’m sure they’d be as gutted as I was delighted 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

We’ve played an extra game…

They'll only catch us if they're given another free hit against North. 

• Like 1

I don't mind Brisbane supporters. Their Melbourne contingency has got a grunt about them probably from the old Fitzroy crew. They bring good energy and support to their games in Melbourne. And smarter and more knowledgeable about the game than whinging SA and WA supporters.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, praha said:

I don't mind Brisbane supporters. Their Melbourne contingency has got a grunt about them probably from the old Fitzroy crew. They bring good energy and support to their games in Melbourne. And smarter and more knowledgeable about the game than whinging SA and WA supporters.

Agree.

As a dees fan in the 70s and 80s,  lions fans were kindred spirits. Ditto saints fans. 

I played for Beverly Hills junior footy club (Paul roos' team). We wore the Fitzroy jumper and sing the Fitzroy song.

One of my best mates was a huge lions fan, and I lived in North Fitzroy and kicked around Fitzroy, for over a decade. The Newry was my local - directly opposite Brunswick oval, the roy boys original home ground.

And they had some of my favourite non dees players - roos, pert, Wilson and Quinlan (one of the most consistently excellent kicks I've seen).

So I always had a soft spot for the lions. 

It was wrenching, even as a dees fan, when they folded. Just awful. 

My mate was in shock, and without being flippant, experienced real grief.

And I was beside myself the dees would also disappear.

When tne roys folded, he became a dees fan. A fully committed, passionate one too. I saw heaps of games with him.

But when they became the Brisbane lions, which they should have done from the get go, after a couple of seasons he felt compelled to support them - . A knowledgeable and clued in footy supporter, who still has a soft spot for the dees.

Edited by binman
  • Like 15
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, praha said:

Their banner crew (in particular, when they play in Victoria) comprises mainly old Fitzroy supporters and they are the nicest people you could hope to meet (in the race before the game). No malice, no ill-feelings, just lovely people who wish us well. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Their banner crew (in particular, when they play in Victoria) comprises mainly old Fitzroy supporters and they are the nicest people you could hope to meet (in the race before the game). No malice, no ill-feelings, just lovely people who wish us well. 

Do you mean they are supporters who were alive and supporting Fitzroy pre-1996? Or are they younger supporters who still hold an allegiance to the club formerly known as Fitzroy? I ask, because if it's just the former, I wonder what will happen once that group is no longer around? 

It's interesting their comments about game style, I have to imagine a lot of those who said it didn't watch the port game the week before. Has to be one of the games of the season as a neutral. The Crows game felt like they tried to bring the game down to a scrap to make it hard on us, we had to grind that win off the back of tired legs. It wasn't pretty but to use that as the game to say "they play a boring style" is a bit silly.

I'd say the style we are trying to play more of is what we did against Hawthorn (who admittedly aren't great). It's not high tempo, but it's knowing when to pull the trigger and getting men streaming forward with the ball in regular motion.

They must have nightmares about Gawn, he regularly seems to put in massive games against them. It seems silly to say but if he does it again I can't see us losing because it elevates so many other players into the game.

But overall their comments aren't over the top or disrespectful, I've never really had any bad experiences around Brisbane fans.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

What they are saying about Melbourne’s win over Crows

• Why does Tom Sparrow look more like Todd Viney than Jack Viney?
  • Melbourne's clash jumper looks really nice
  • I wish the media hadn't got stuck into Melbourne
  • They're getting a bit of teamwork back into their game.
  • Really wish van Rooyen had lasted one more pick in his draft
  • After the dozens of throws Melbourne have got away with they ping an Adelaide player for that?
  • Melbourne's game style often makes for ordinary games

What they are saying about Max

• Gawn's marking around the game has returned after it became a bit inconsistent. Need to take that away from him
  • Oscar needs to go with Gawn and neutralise him
  • Would it make sense to bring Fort back in to double team Gawn? Just get both of them to rotate often and just smash into him
  • I don’t know if Oscar has it in him to play mean and nasty
  • Gawn is possibly the best ruckman of this century (I think I am starting to have him ahead of Cox) and Gawn is in good form again
  • Oscar quite often starts really well against Gawn and Gawn has mentioned before that Oscar is one of the hardest Rucks for him to play against but Gawn usually wins the battle because he can lasts a whole game. And always finishes much stronger
  • Reality is Gawn is a champion player and Oscar , for all that we love him, is an average one
  • All I see is Gawn running in to attack the ball and Oscar trying to react to him, which is so not good with Melb. midfield
  • I can see this game panning out anything from a big Demons win to a narrow Lions win, we need to bring the heat for all 4 quarters or we will get smashed

Everything else

• Ben Brown serves as the Dees big tall forward and has posed problems for us in the past
  • There is little point hoping Rayner can step up in the midfield this Thursday. The last time we played Melbourne in Rd.18, 2023, Rayner had a paltry 8 disposals, managing only 3 in the first half. That game he attended 4 centre bounces and managed 0 clearances for the game. He also failed to hold a mark. This sort of clutch, big occasion game in Melbourne is precisely the sort of game that Rayner goes missing in
  • It's very satisfying beating Melbourne - they play a horrible style of football but are hard to win against
  • I reckon Fritsch is a very smart player and would love to have him at the Lions. Despite everyone I speak to seeming to have some sort of dislike for him for a variety of reasons

And my two favourites . . .

• But the big question I think every Lions fan is wondering...will the dees inject the deadly Schacheattack into the side to dominate us. We will have to wait and see
  • Let’s hope Fagan isn’t playing the whale song and burning the relaxing aromatic oils at half time this week. His ability to put a team to sleep or not keep them on their toes is becoming legendary. Can’t afford the Traditional In-game Nap Time this week. #TINT

What a bunch of sucks..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, binman said:

Agree.

As a dees fan in the 70s and 80s,  lions fans were kindred spirits. Ditto saints fans. 

I played for Beverly Hills junior footy club (Paul roos' team). We wore the Fitzroy jumper and sing the Fitzroy song.

One of my best mates was a huge lions fan, and I lived in North Fitzroy and kicked around Fitzroy, for over a decade. The Newry was my local - directly opposite Brunswick oval, the roy boys original home ground.

And they had some of my favourite non dees players - roos, pert, Wilson and Quinlan (one of the most consistently excellent kicks I've seen).

When they became the bears, my mate couldn't support them, so became a dees fan. A fully committed, passionate one too. I saw heaps of games with him.

But when they became the Brisbane lions, which they should have done from the get go, he felt compelled to support them. A knowledgeable and clued in footy supporter, who still has a soft spot for the dees.

That be Freeman Street?

18 minutes ago, Pates said:

It's interesting their comments about game style, I have to imagine a lot of those who said it didn't watch the port game the week before. Has to be one of the games of the season as a neutral. The Crows game felt like they tried to bring the game down to a scrap to make it hard on us, we had to grind that win off the back of tired legs. It wasn't pretty but to use that as the game to say "they play a boring style" is a bit silly.

I'd say the style we are trying to play more of is what we did against Hawthorn (who admittedly aren't great). It's not high tempo, but it's knowing when to pull the trigger and getting men streaming forward with the ball in regular motion.

They must have nightmares about Gawn, he regularly seems to put in massive games against them. It seems silly to say but if he does it again I can't see us losing because it elevates so many other players into the game.

But overall their comments aren't over the top or disrespectful, I've never really had any bad experiences around Brisbane fans.

We have been boring the last two years. Fans of other teams don’t see things until the ‘narratives’ have got through or their team has played the teams in question. 

So we will come up against a bunch of fan groups that think we are just a dump it down the line, win territory team, that prefers repeat entries until we slingshot their team into Oblivion through the excellent law firm of McVee, Howes, and Rivers.

They are The Transition.

• Like 4

Agree.

When they became the bears, my mate couldn't support them, so became a dees fan. A fully committed, passionate one too. I saw heaps of games with him.

But when they became the Brisbane lions, which they should have done from the get go, he felt compelled to support them. A knowledgeable and clued in footy supporter, who still has a soft spot for the dees.

1996 was a horrible year.

Every single know it all from ernie sigley to Neil Mitchell and all the sycophantic football media were adamant that teams needed to merge for the game simply would not survive.  TV shows where panels were set up to discuss and decide which team should merge and it was universally agreed by paid morons that the game just could not continue with that many clubs and Victoria. People spoke owith such Authority and if you did even contemplate or discuss the fact that the merger is a bad idea you were outcast as someone who had no sense of financial viability. Classic media cohesion propaganda.

I mean even ian Ridley and Mike Sheehan were sucked in and seduced. Bill Guest ... dont even get me started. 

I was at the merger meeting and 95% of the people there were vehemently against the merger I could not believe that the vote got up. That in itself just showed how lost or how disconnected the game was from the real fans. How did that work?

That was the era when money did try to rule everyone and everything but the people power from footscray, hawthorn, Melbourne and others stood strong and that was a beautiful thing to see. Some of these people who  were so confident in the economics and demanded for us to understand what we needed are now long passed on. Their grandkids are no doubt dees supporters and loving this era.

The game is in a much better State than what it was back then, the sad thing is Fitzroy could have continued in Melbourne in some form No Doubt. Pretty simple economics, keep the admission fee down to a reasonable price for everyone to access, make the stadiums work financially, keep the game clean and sponsorship will come. The game is too good to fail and has been for too long. I'm just glad people power won other moron power.

Thank you Brian Dixon,  thank you Joseph Gutnick. Thank you Robbie. Big time.

RDB thanks but the flip to the no merger side was far too last minute. But still the 2nd greatest Demon of all time. Clarry first.

1996 Anis horribilius. But we won..... by default. "Paid experts come and go but generations of fans dont. I still feel ill about seeing the Fitzroy crew at the last game. That is sad.

2021 says thanks to the people power.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

Agree.

"When they became the bears, my mate couldn't support them, so became a dees fan. A fully committed, passionate one too. I saw heaps of games with him. But when they became the Brisbane lions, which they should have done from the get go, he felt compelled to support them"

What do you mean by that?  I am worried my memory is shot. Didnt the Fitzroy and Bris Bears merge into Brisbane Lions from the get go?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wizard of Koz said:

"When they became the bears, my mate couldn't support them, so became a dees fan. A fully committed, passionate one too. I saw heaps of games with him. But when they became the Brisbane lions, which they should have done from the get go, he felt compelled to support them"

What do you mean by that?  I am worried my memory is shot. Didnt the Fitzroy and Bris Bears merge into Brisbane Lions from the get go?

The Bears were established about a decade earlier.  Played out of the Gold Coast. The Christopher Skase era.

Fitzroy was ripe for the picking. North were confident that they had the whip hand for a merger (read takeover) but the Bears under president Noel Gordon pulled the rug out from under them and the merger of Fitzroy Lions and the Carrara Koalas was instituted. 

That's the nutshell version 

• Like 2