Jump to content

POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond


Demonland

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

For me the jury is still out on Chandler. He's shown some great footy but it's been a while.

We effectively picked Chandler over Bedford. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's hard not to be critical of a loss to Richmond, who are widely tipped to be bottom six this season and were arguably missing more big guns than we were - Martin, Lynch, Taranto, Prestia and Nankervis are big omissions for them.

What has worried me for a long time is that we have continually recruited ultra small players and aside from Viney, Petracca and Sparrow, we don't look ultra physical - which is a by-product of being so small. The decision not to get Caddy may yet come back to haunt us, just as the Weideman v Curnow debate was there some time back.

Aside from JVR and when he's up there Gawn - we don't have any players who look remotely like taking a mark - once again that's something that comes with going small with a forward line that includes at least five of seven players under six feet each week. 

And to be honest most of our small players, with the exception of Kossie, aren't explosive speed type players. Even Windsor struggled to get away from opponents, although he was the pick of our youngsters. His kicking was at time abysmal today, but you can tell he will be better for the gallop and even better if he had some quick-moving big targets.

My other major worry is that we have spent summer training with little pressure drills. Maybe that's the plan these days - not overdo it early to avoid injury and get stuck into more tackling drills when the season gets closer. I don't have stats, but I'm guessing we were majorly outtackled and I lost count of the number of pressurised kicks and handballs that were intercepted or missed targets.

The big disappointments were in my view:

McVee - he was so good last year and seemed to be a step behind this time. Surprisingly he wasn't given the job on Bolton, but perhaps that was a deliberate ploy to avoid it before the Anzac Eve clash. Howes played on Bolton quite a bit and enough said.

Fritsch - he's been looking sharp at training, but really couldn't influence things - maybe as has been stated he was playing too close to goals and cut off easily.

Gawn - gees, how many times did he lose front position at thrown-ins and have to push his opponent Ryan from behind - eventually the umps even spotted it and started paying free kicks against him.

Schache and Tomlinson - yep both need to realise their time in the game ends in 2024 unless they lift.

Yes it's only a practice game, but boy, we'd better show some signs against Carlton next week or the season will get away from us and Goody will have to utter Neeld's line - "we didn't see that coming". 

 

  • Like 3
  • Clap 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, binman said:

Some take aways:

I suspect they are in a heavy training phase. Cooked after the first 20 min untill half time.

First 15 mins of third up and about after a break. Then cooked again 

Being cooked exacerbated our biggest issue  - our kicking skills accross the board.

Outside of the first 20 mins of the game, even our best kicks turned it over, and our average kicks, of which there are many, were horrendous 

Very much the classic practice match. 

One example was the focus on practising hand ball chains to move the ball downfield

In the last couple of years our practice match has been our main preseason hitout, not the community cup.  I suspect not this year - Max won't be coming off at half time against the blues.

Verell looked ok.

Koz is a star.

Viney was terrific.

JVR will go up one or two levels.

Good to see them give schachw a run in the ruck. Makes perfect sense, and i think is the only way he cements a starting 22 position. Assuming he can improve. 

I know clarry was playing against VFL players, but somehow it made his brilliance even more evident.  Sounds stupid, but I think I had forgotten just how good he is.

Not bothered at all by the result.

Agree with most of your comments Binman. 
However I am amazed at the lauding  of Kossie’s game today.Yes he started in the huts and was busy and notable but extremely wasteful and selfish on occasions. IMO if he gives the option of a handball or his own kick instead of Fong a 20 m run I have a suspicion the four goals we lost by would have potentially been possible. 
It’s a bit different than just radiating between half forward and the goals when you get the ball when you take possession 10m back of the centre circle or even on the forward side. You have to use handball and a penetrating kick to be of value. Not burn others and deliver scrubby ground kicks to leading or running forwards. That’s wasteful. Show him the centre bounce scenarios from the bang bang bang third quarter and get him playing team footy and not Kossie keeping’s off attempts at stardom. 
He only tried the direct once today and still muffed the mark. Let’s get him playing team footy for US and conform to  whatever the mids are in our team strategy. 
And no More ABN and more Salem  in the middle. He straightens us up lowers his eyes and is rarely caught in possession. Also the left foot balances out Vineys sometime average disposal and beats opposition attempts to stop his breakaway. He can always be replaced and half back flanked if required. 

  • Like 3
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Perhaps you should’ve chosen the DA tent for your vittles. You wouldn’t have missed a quarter of footy queuing, it would’ve cost significantly less, and the proceeds would’ve gone to the DA instead of a private vendor. Never mind, maybe next time 😉

 BTW, a huge THANK YOU to those who visited our tent for a sausage and/or a cupcake. We absolutely cleaned up. A steady flow of customers for just under five hours, including a three-hour period where we literally did not stop, exceeded expectations. Richmond fans contributed largely to our takings. I’m sure they’re positively chuffed about that. 😅

Glad the DA had a most successful and productive day today. Also that it was a great day weather wise for all the fans. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 58er said:

Agree with most of your comments Binman. 
However I am amazed at the lauding  of Kossie’s game today.Yes he started in the huts and was busy and notable but extremely wasteful and selfish on occasions. IMO if he gives the option of a handball or his own kick instead of Fong a 20 m run I have a suspicion the four goals we lost by would have potentially been possible. 
It’s a bit different than just radiating between half forward and the goals when you get the ball when you take possession 10m back of the centre circle or even on the forward side. You have to use handball and a penetrating kick to be of value. Not burn others and deliver scrubby ground kicks to leading or running forwards. That’s wasteful. Show him the centre bounce scenarios from the bang bang bang third quarter and get him playing team footy and not Kossie keeping’s off attempts at stardom. 
He only tried the direct once today and still muffed the mark. Let’s get him playing team footy for US and conform to  whatever the mids are in our team strategy. 
And no More ABN and more Salem  in the middle. He straightens us up lowers his eyes and is rarely caught in possession. Also the left foot balances out Vineys sometime average disposal and beats opposition attempts to stop his breakaway. He can always be replaced and half back flanked if required. 

Kozzie was playing Hollywood football. Twisting, turning, ducking and weaving, and then completely butchering his kicks. He actually became a liability and was extremely selfish. He needs to execute the basics 

  • Like 4
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re Oliver and 'check with the AFL'

I think this is about the rules regarding interchange for the official practice matches. Maybe we want to give Clarry half a game - as well as Salem - so would want an extended interchange bench?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No sugar coating… this was a disappointing start against mid-ladder opposition. Poor disposal got us into strife time and time again. 
positives;

Viney excellent

Max excellent

Kossie excellent

Oliver back and with major impact

Salem very good

Windsor very good debut

Brown very good debut

Verall good signs

Billings very good signs

May, Lever, Sparrow, Bowey all maintaining standards

negatives;

Petracca a great, but too many silly mistakes for his high standards

Fritsch missed opportunities

Van Royen needs to impact more often and also missed opportunities

Chandler low impact

Howes low impact

neutrals; did compete, with some good effect, but also sloppy at times

Rivers, Laurie, McVee, Langdon, Tomlinson, ANB, 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have not seen the game so my views are biased by your reporting.

It is only a scratch match.

So, pleased that young Brown seems the goods,  Windsor still went Ok,  How did the Kolt go in the two's,   We might have a good trifecta from last years draft.

Not pleased about the failure to stop the run on they had, by the coaches and from the players, someone should have put an end to it. Not pleased that our kicks and handballs failed to get to the targets. Its a scratch match eff all pressure. And it seems our forward 50 entries are the same as last year. Kick it up and hope. And little or no tackling.

Its a scratch match, I will not lose any sleep over it, but still pleased that Oliver and Salem had a good hit out.

The Tigers can take more positives out of this match than we can and that's unhappy.

Await the blues on the Wednesday, that's only a practice match but under more realistic conditions etc.

Still positive for 2024

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Take aways from the game.

Petracca is Kouta the second coming, and absolutely flying. Yet still, will play second fiddle to the GOAT, who clearly has been training hard by himself.

Viney looks in sharp touch 

Windsor is already elite (well done JT).

Bowey has lifted another level.

JVR could benefit from our long history of bombing the ball inside 50

Rivers is an A grade footballer. 
 

Kozi is in rare air. He could be the most talented player in the league. 

GOAT will win his 5th Bluey.

Now to the negatives.

May has lost a yard or ten.

Langdon is finished.

ANB is a bigger liability than ever now he’s fitter than ever - and the ball is in his hands more as a result (he’s a butcher).

Brayshaw doesn’t look up to it.

Salem isn’t a mid, or even nearly a mid. 
 

Schache isn’t up to VFL standard. 
 

  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I have not seen the game so my views are biased by your reporting.

It is only a scratch match.

So, pleased that young Brown seems the goods,  Windsor still went Ok,  How did the Kolt go in the two's,   We might have a good trifecta from last years draft.

Not pleased about the failure to stop the run on they had, by the coaches and from the players, someone should have put an end to it. Not pleased that our kicks and handballs failed to get to the targets. Its a scratch match eff all pressure. And it seems our forward 50 entries are the same as last year. Kick it up and hope. And little or no tackling.

Its a scratch match, I will not lose any sleep over it, but still pleased that Oliver and Salem had a good hit out.

The Tigers can take more positives out of this match than we can and that's unhappy.

Await the blues on the Wednesday, that's only a practice match but under more realistic conditions etc.

Still positive for 2024

 

You need to take time out and watch the game. 

Edited by ThreeOneSix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All signs seem to point to dees falling down the ladder this year,

1. We have many more injuries where as 21-22-23 we were much more injury free this time of year allowing us to start those seasons strong.

2. A number of players have signs they may by past there best, Fritsch, Salem ANB to name a few and no one is stepping up to take the slack.

3. How much petrol in the tank do Gawn and May have as they aren’t getting in younger.

4. Will Oliver get back to his best.

I think we still play finals but I don’t think we will be serious contenders this year. Might just be best to look at this as a year of learning 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ThreeOneSix said:

Take aways from the game.

Petracca is Kouta the second coming, and absolutely flying. Yet still, will play second fiddle to the GOAT, who clearly has been training hard by himself.

Viney looks in sharp touch 

Windsor is already elite (well done JT).

Bowey has lifted another level.

JVR could benefit from our long history of bombing the ball inside 50

Rivers is an A grade footballer. 
 

Kozi is in rare air. He could be the most talented player in the league. 

GOAT will win his 5th Bluey.

Now to the negatives.

May has lost a yard or ten.

Langdon is finished.

ANB is a bigger liability than ever now he’s fitter than ever - and the ball is in his hands more as a result (he’s a butcher).

Brayshaw doesn’t look up to it.

Salem isn’t a mid, or even nearly a mid. 
 

Schache isn’t up to VFL standard. 
 

Bit tough on Brayshaw.

Edited by binman
  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Perhaps you should’ve chosen the DA tent for your vittles. You wouldn’t have missed a quarter of footy queuing, it would’ve cost significantly less, and the proceeds would’ve gone to the DA instead of a private vendor. Never mind, maybe next time 😉

 BTW, a huge THANK YOU to those who visited our tent for a sausage and/or a cupcake. We absolutely cleaned up. A steady flow of customers for just under five hours, including a three-hour period where we literally did not stop, exceeded expectations. Richmond fans contributed largely to our takings. I’m sure they’re positively chuffed about that. 😅

The DA tent was fantastic. Swung past for a snag twice, and one of my kids was delighted to devour a "Petracca" cupcake. Thank you WCW and all of the Demon Army for your contribution to today - I hope it was lucrative - and throughout the season.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

For me the jury is still out on Chandler. He's shown some great footy but it's been a while.

 

1 hour ago, binman said:

I'm of the same mind. Needs to get involved more. 

Make or break year for him I reckon.

He's struggled ever since he was dropped back to Casey for a short stint last season imho.

There's no doubting his endeavour and work rate around stoppages.  He works super hard to get space on his opponent and to offer an option but im just not sure he has the skills, power and footy smarts to impact at this level outside of the very odd cameo where he does get off the leash after all the hard work to shake off his direct opponents. 

Sometimes i feel he works too hard on the shake down part, which then sees him coming up a bit short with ball in hand.  His ticket's possibly already spent with the first part of the equation!?

Good luck to him in 24.  He had a fab start to 23 before dropping away badly.  Hopefully he can recapture that early form and hold on to it for most of the season.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, Pulp Fritschon said:

Chaplin in post game media conference mentioned the club will need to work with the AFL on Oliver’s return to footy.

I thought if fits he plays. Have I missed something? Does the AFL need to tick it off?
 

 

Suspect due to Clarry’s recent past we have had to involve AFL for advice and some TLC to perhaps minimize any collateral damage already done. 

Have absolutely no knowledge of this it’s purely thinking over the big picture scenario of dodging a few bullets  maybe. 

Perhaps  Chappy didn’t need to be that expansive in his info. 

Great to see Clarry back on the park enjoying himself which is the biggest take out of the day. Can’t understand why so many fans exited the game after the first 4 quarters. Surely another half hour with Clarry involved was not too much to do halfway through the day. 
When did the players do their signing laps for the fans? Between the firsts and rest games or at end of day when only 1/4 of the crowd were still there? Sorry tv didn’t show either time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ThreeOneSix said:

Viney should have the best year of his career. 

That would probably have him winning Bluey, Charlie and Norm Smith. He was phenomenal last year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

That would probably have him winning Bluey, Charlie and Norm Smith. He was phenomenal last year. 

Oliver only doesn’t win those if he gets injured again. However, if Oliver went amiss, Viney will win the bluey. Smokey for Charlie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The match wasn’t a tactical game as such.

The coaches are still having a look and sorting through the players for round one.

Don’t read anything into the scores.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, 58er said:

 

When did the players do their signing laps for the fans? Between the firsts and rest games or at end of day when only 1/4 of the crowd were still there? Sorry tv didn’t show either time. 

They came out at the end of the match, ie. after the seventh quarter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 71

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 24

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 344

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...