• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

Demonland

As a dedicated Track watcher at Casey, this is my spin on today

PRO'S 

Viney was HUGE!

Windsor consolidated his training form and WILL debut round 0

Max was very good

Bowser among the Best

Brown dog also might debut round zero

Kossy Awesome

Billings very good

Clarry and Salem were a class above in magoos game

Verrall did not disappiont

CON'S

Well why is it that inspite of faultless drills and match sims at Casey do we turn up and TURN OVER the ball time and Time and Time again. We have achieved nothing in this regard.

WHY DO WE KEEP BOMBING THE BALL INTO THE FORWARD 50 which has been a HUGE problem for the last 2 years. What the hell is going on Goody?

Petracca's high ball drop and exagerated arc STILL Continues to cost us gimme goals.

May turns it over and was fumbly today,Fritsch looked totally disinterested, Ditto Langdon who I would drop,Bailey Laurie does a few good things then some shockers. Tomlinson did little to inspire and we might be forced to look elsewhere. Rivers also is a turnover merchant! Did Chandler play??I think even with Clarry, Salem, Spargy Pants and Gus we looked MILES of today with some lazy and skill laden errors. Swans will slaughter us on that effort today! 

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

Windsor looked pretty good

Kozzie must play greater midfield minutes

Viney was dominating early

Kicking/decision making going inside 50 still an issue

Seems not much has changed, Richmond minus Dusty and Baker should not have troubled us

• Shocked 1

Not a whole lot that we can read into this result, just that Richmond have better depth than us. The complexion of the game would be completely different with the likely opening round 22s for each team. Individual performances are worth looking into. Very scrappy game overall but I’ll reserve judgement for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

pros:
- first 20 minutes was champagne football
- Laurie and Billings both had some really good moments, not sold on either but they can both contribute
- Windsor was a mess with his kicks but he made position and surely had 15+ touches?
- Kynan Brown looked comfortable
- Max dominated and then Verrall injected something in the second half 
- Kossie (sadly just one of him when we need 2 or 3)

Cons:

- tugboat
- run and carry being too condensed and so easy to defend, need width on the runners 
- still not going out the fat side enough
- JVR and Fritsch both stationed too deep, get someone who can draw the ball at half forward
- Schache  
- forward pressure was non existent when Kossie was on ball
- midfield pressure poor all game
- half backs gave a heap of room and didn’t show a lot of ability to close space and tackle 

So aside from the back half, which will surely improve as the season rolls on.... looks like more of the same through the middle and into F50 aka 22/23.

Windsor will hopefully slowly move in to a wing role and/or fight for that spot with Howes depending on the progress of Hunter.

And one of the most glaring deficiencies in 22/23, no CHF but instead using small HHFs, small-mediums & mediums to try and hold down such an imprtant KP role ughh.

I guess this role would (in the past) be shared amongst the likes of T-Mac & BBB.  But alas their best appears to be now well behind them.

No zip out of the middle and still exiting (mostly) in straight lines into 50 allowing the oppo defenders a pretty straight forward look instead of heading out wide when Koz isn't in there in order to change the angles coming inside?

Robbing Peter by using Kozzy in the middle for significant minutes (which i actually like) but then missing his chase down pressure i50 when he isn't there and watching the oppo waltz the ball out with relative ease?  As you said...we need 2 or 3 of Koz.

Schache nowhere to be seen when the heat is on?

Haven't seen a minute of the scratches yet so i'll stop there before i dig too big a hole.  Will review later 😄

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

It seems to me our running patterns contribute to poor play and disposal. Today’s was all about trying to run thru the middle and play Collingwood chaos type football. It's seems there is method in chaos play we have no idea about. 

We run into trouble too often, over use, and don’t assess when it’s time to pull the trigger on this chaos type play. It’s one thing to run thru the middle in packs, it’s another thing to have options up forward or forward of the play. In 2021 we did this very well and appropriately. 

Case in point Bang, bang, bang. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kev martin said:

I didn't get to watch the game today.

My worry is the momentum issue that we cannot control.

Five goal lead, then they take the momentum. We have no replies to their goals.

Why couldn't we close it down, or continue scoring?

Was it a lack of ability to read the game or the same old, drink the bath water and believe this is a cruise?

I want us to be ruthless and "put them to the sword" when we are in that position. 

The backline sounded like a bit of a rabble. They will get their act together, they hate getting scored against, and 21. 21 from the opposition is a shellacking, which, I hope won't happen again.

Shame the club couldn't stream via their own methods but used a pay for service. Hope they got well reimbursed.

Casey is too difficult to get to by public transport. They need to find a way to include all the supporters of the club.

This is what has me worried to. It’s a praccy game sure. What a great opportunity to put our prior learnings on stopping goal runs to practise. Where were the leaders today to do this?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

This is what has me worried to. It’s a praccy game sure. What a great opportunity to put our prior learnings on stopping goal runs to practise. Where were the leaders today to do this?

Maybe they were told "Don't worry about being scored against, just be aggressive.  We'll leave practising stopping goal runs till another day" (which usually means just slowing down and retaining possession).  Unfortunately the aggressive bit didn't work much.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

49 minutes ago, Pulp Fritschon said:

Chaplin in post game media conference mentioned the club will need to work with the AFL on Oliver’s return to footy.

I thought if fits he plays. Have I missed something? Does the AFL need to tick it off?

What the Hell needs to be checked of???

• Like 1
  • Thinking 2

3 hours ago, Deecisive said:

the thing that disappointed me was our ball handling, our handpassing was poor missing targets, dropping short, same can be said with some of our kicking. Richmond ran rings around us their run and carry not clarry was unchallenged a lot of the time down from full back to the forward line. our players just did not man up. not a great start to the season, but it is only a practice game, hopefully it will encourage our coaches to get to work on some of these things. Sides that run and carry the ball always challenge us as we do not chase, hopefully we can address that.

Goodwin has been using a very loose rolling zone roughly a kick (or somewhat less) behind the footy for the last 2 seasons, particularly in the 1st quarter of matches and also quite often (but not always) at the start of 2nd halfs.

By loose i mean in the first quarter the zone is often (but not always) starting too deep for my liking.  Often giving up the first 40/50 meters or so in our F50.  And also players guarding grass that are a tad too far away to impact a slightly wayward or mis-directed kick/handball.

Works ok against average to lessor oppositions that have more of a tendency to turn the ball over.

However, the better oppos have had a field day out of the middle and in transition off HB or FB (kick ins).   They just don't fluff their disposal as often either via better skill levels and/or a combo of a lack of intense pressure from us in a full court sense.

They also take huge advantage of the first 40 meters or so of almost zero pressure (where we effectively hand them this via the loose zone WHEN Goodwin & Co. decide to utilise it) to quickly work their way to their preferred 'launching' spots.

Then hammering home their kicking skills to hit up their targets, which often have the jump on our defenders due to the speed of transition.  The speed on the oppo's transition often resulting in more 1 v 1s where our defenders are caught out and any spares unable to make up the ground to provide an assist.

The 'lay-off' rolling zone worked a treat in 2021 when we had players capable of closing the grass quickly while giving the appearance they were almost out of the contest sitting off their man somewhat.

This close down speed/capability (possibly through a much tighter 'lay-off' zone) resulted in us intercepting, spoiling and causing turnovers more often, then blitzing from decent places into our own 50 for the resulting punishing turnover score/goal and/or repeat entries when implementing the press.

For whatever reason, our ability to bring this level hasn't really been apparent (consistently) since the 2nd half of 2022.

I can only hope Goodwin wont persist with it in it's same method/modus in 2024, at least not against the best rated clubs anyway.  Average to lessor clubs shouldn't matter too much either way.

We really won't know whether he is or isn't until we're into about Rnd 4 to 6.

Fingers crossed he's adjusted this tactic in a significant way when the real stuff starts in a few weeks.

Against the better clubs we need fairly heavy pressure and a much tighter zone starting from the first kick in (from a behind) all the way up the field if we're to prevent some of the 'run on' blow outs we witnessed over the last 18 months. 

This will hopefully result in the better oppos turnIng the ball over more often in more dangerous places to provide us with better looks and potentially higher scoring opportunities.  Which should = more wins!

The forward stocks continue to be a real worry though given the number of injuries and potential decent players who are either out and/or struggling to stay on the park.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

I cannot comment at all on the footy (too busy basking in the sun & freebies!), but I can comment on the event itself.  My girls and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at Casey.  The weather was superb, the crowd seemed in really good spirits and the freebies (coffee, donuts, lip balm, show bags etc.) were a real hit.  We left prior to the match ending but were still able to get a few autographs from very obliging players.  I am pleasantly surprised.  I wasn’t a fan of combining a practice match with a family day, but it was a win for me today.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

One other thing I noticed today, we systematically refused to kick it short to the pocket after behinds were scored by opposition. On a number of occasions this would have been a safer option than the one taken. I have just watched McVee ignore May and Tomlinson when taking a kick out that landed almost on the wing but resulted in an immediate opposition surge back into their forward line (19 mins into P2)

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

Thanks everyone for the reports on the hit out today.

Unfortunately for me I was playing cricket in Hobart heat (so mid high twenties but the sun was spicy) in a forty over aside match and we only had nine blokes, and we had to bowl first.

Would have much preferred to watch the game haha.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

One irritation, Russell Robertson repeatedly kept saying over the mic how state of the art the facilities are at Casey.  Are they really that high class?  Genuine question.  It seemed to be an attempt to appease supporters to me.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

1 hour ago, von said:

How do we measure today if we don’t know what our intent was going in? Did we try and shut them down when they kicked ten straight or did we continue to work on our attacking game.

When the pressure comes we know how we will Play. We know how Collingwood will play too. Like us.

If we can play the way we were at the end of last year with ten percent more efficiency we win a flag. By working on skills and run now and early in the year, hopefully allowing the work we’ve done continuously for a few years on goal kicking and skill work to progress and inject some better ball users into important positions we should do alright.

brown jr looked great. Get him in the gym and onto the park asap 

My thoughts on today’s intention wasn’t necessarily strategy, it was more being able to play players in new roles and give rookies an opportunity to play in a higher standard and see any gems - like K Brown.

For example I don’t think we could say we were looking to shut them down this way or play this way when we had a 19 year old rookie ruck at the bounce and Max on the bench! It’s a scratch match!

I think we’re singing from the same hymn book, and Carlton’s community match should be a better indication of pressure, strategy and intent.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Deebymistake said:

One irritation, Russell Robertson repeatedly kept saying over the mic how state of the art the facilities are at Casey.  Are they really that high class?  Genuine question.  It seemed to be an attempt to appease supporters to me.

When you're baking in the sun with negligible shading around the ground, queuing for a quarter for a bucket of hot chips, and the scant elevated seating is off limits to the public, that did come across as a bit silly to me. Maybe the Mayor of Casey dropped past at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

MELBOURNE DEMONS v RICHMOND TIGERS

Rucks CBAs CBA % Notes
Max Gawn 15 44.1% Played Q1-2
Will Verrall 13 38.2% Played Q3-6
Josh Schache 6 17.7% Played Q1-4
Sam Naismith 19 55.9% Played back up
Samson Ryan 15 44.1% Took first contest

Midfielders CBAs CBA % Notes
Jack Viney 27 79.4% 6 clearances