PREGAME: Rd 23 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

We should win by at least 5-6 goals. I rate Mitchell as a coach and he's got them playing good football. But surely they don't roll Brisbane, Collingwood AND Melbourne? 

My call for next week, based on watching Casey, is that Hibbo starts, Smith goes forward, Spargo comes in and JJ goes out. Spargo was really good, and was actively trying to put his hand up today.

With that set up we get a few weeks to look at a more agile forward line, and Melk and Smith get to fight out a spot before Fritta comes back. 

I also think if we are smaller forward of the ball, we need elite kicking and more players running at the kicker - Spargo.

Edited by The heart beats true
  • Like 4

Would love to see Grundy out for Tomlinson with Smith being pushed to the forward line. I do like Grundy as a ruckman but, unfortunately he minimises Max's impact and then has no presence up forward. Smith has more of an aerial impact up forward and crashes packs.

JJ out for Spargo who provides more pressure and cleaner kicking skills. He really put his hand up today at VFL level. JJ has been terribly out of form.

I think with our lack of tall forward options due to the unfortunate injury to Petty and injury/form to Tmac, Schache and Brown means we have to go with a bit of a different structure. Once Fritsch comes back I wouldn't drop Melksham or Smith and instead play a mixture of hybrid/medium sized forwards to compensate for our lack of pure talls outside of Van Rooyen who is still so young.

I believe Smith must play due to his versatility to be able to play forward or back if any injury does occur.

I think the best 22 for the first final should be:

Mcvee May Lever

Salem Tomlinson Rivers 

Langdon Oliver Hunter

Petracca Smith Neal-Bullen

Pickett Van Rooyen Fritsch 

Gawn Viney Brayshaw

Sparrow Bowey Melksham Chandler 

with Hibberd and Spargo the first inclusions if injury/form changes of the next couple of weeks.

.... Thoughts?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

I reckon Grundy will stay in for one more. It’s not like we have replacements plus he can give Gawn a lighter load

I hope not he’s average

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Simon Port said:

Would love to see Grundy out for Tomlinson with Smith being pushed to the forward line. I do like Grundy as a ruckman but, unfortunately he minimises Max's impact and then has no presence up forward. Smith has more of an aerial impact up forward and crashes packs.

JJ out for Spargo who provides more pressure and cleaner kicking skills. He really put his hand up today at VFL level. JJ has been terribly out of form.

I think with our lack of tall forward options due to the unfortunate injury to Petty and injury/form to Tmac, Schache and Brown means we have to go with a bit of a different structure. Once Fritsch comes back I wouldn't drop Melksham or Smith and instead play a mixture of hybrid/medium sized forwards to compensate for our lack of pure talls outside of Van Rooyen who is still so young.

I believe Smith must play due to his versatility to be able to play forward or back if any injury does occur.

Mcvee May Lever

Salem Tomlinson Rivers 

Langdon Oliver Hunter

Gawn Viney Brayshaw

with Hibberd and Spargo the first inclusions if injury/form changes of the next couple of weeks.

.... Thoughts?

I did mine today:

Mcvee May Hibberd
Rivers Lever Tomlinson
Langdon viney Hunter
Kozzie JVR ANB
Fritsch TMac Melksham
Gawn Oliver Petracca
Brayshaw Spargo Jordon Salem

Smith (sub)

Sparrow, chandler, Grundy & Bowey are the notable outs here. 

Jordon gives us a POD over Sparrow, Chandler is behind both Melksham & Spargo who’s kicking I50 is important, Grundy is out for obvious reasons and finally there is only one spot for McVee and Bowey and Judd holds it for now.

14 minutes ago, PrestigeDee said:

I did mine today:

Mcvee May Hibberd
Rivers Lever Tomlinson
Langdon viney Hunter
Kozzie JVR ANB
Fritsch TMac Melksham
Gawn Oliver Petracca
Brayshaw Spargo Jordon Salem

Smith (sub)

Sparrow, chandler, Grundy & Bowey are the notable outs here. 

Jordon gives us a POD over Sparrow, Chandler is behind both Melksham & Spargo who’s kicking I50 is important, Grundy is out for obvious reasons and finally there is only one spot for McVee and Bowey and Judd holds it for now.

I like the fact you're thinking similar with the taller forward line. I just don't see Tmac getting back to form. I think we all expect him to get back to 2021 form but he's 2 years older after a couple of major injuries. 

Sparrow would be a shock to be dropped, think he's been great.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Simon Port said:

Mcvee May Lever

Salem Tomlinson Rivers 

Langdon Oliver Hunter

Gawn Viney Brayshaw

.... Thoughts?

Thoughts….my thoughts are I love it. I will start by saying I didn’t see last nights game due to social commitments but calls for Melksham to be dropped of the back of one quiet game, are people serious? Teams are playing fast / quick footy and bringing in an underdone TMac is not the answer. I agree we need to be quick and versatile. Fritsch, Melksham, Trac, Pickett, Chandler and JVR on their day can all kick multiple goals. ANB who I’ve been critical of in the past is ever bobbing up and kicking them. This gives us multiple options but we can’t just bomb away.
I like Tomlinson at CHB as he allows Lever to do what he does best. I believe this is potentially our best line up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Personally 4th spot is our best option

20 hours ago, David-Demon said:

OUT: Smith ( never to return)

JJ (to be sub)

Grundy

IN:    Tomlinson

Harmes

Hibberd

FF  Tracca.

Smith has done extremely well as a sub.

And Harmes IN???   Apparently has a nightmare today.

12 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

You just found what the AFL want. Pies v Blues final.

Even to the extent of not just one sided umpiring last night, but even an ultra quick score review that looked like nowhere near touched.    One could almost think that there was some corruption going on.

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

[censored] Bulldogs getting Hawthorn confidence even higher before our match.

We should still win this rather easily with our much better list.

Agree.

But some said the same thing about Carlton last week and they are now running for the hills..

• Like 1

No change there I said it.

• Like 1

OUT:  Grundy, JJ, Smith

IN: T-Mac or Schache, Laurie, Thommo

Smith to Sub, Tommo into the 22 (although maybe not against the Hawks as they don't have the tall timber to worry about), Laurie for a run as an outside midfield rotation and we just have to get a tall body up forward and tell them to make a contest and protect JVR.

Id love to get Hibbo in as well, maybe instead of Tommo this week, but Tommo needs to play when sides have 2 good tall forwards.

• Like 1