• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Contracted Tomlinson Looks to Move On?

Demonland

1 hour ago, Deebauched said:

Just because the blubbering media say hes looking elsewhere doesnt mean he is. Hopefully he gets a gig on Sunday. He deserves it. Melbourne have to stop playing an injured Petty who consistently gets himself into the wrong position . That Lions player definitely tried to make Petty hurt as he rolled him .

Give him a couple weeks rehab  ffs. Bruised ribs are messy and damn painful.

The medias treatment of Grundy has been disgusting. The media is a pathetic rabble.

I agree with you about the media but surely Tomlinson would be open to a move. He's clearly behind Petty in the pecking order and is 29, Petty is 23, Disco 21. Tommo is contracted til 24 but who knows whether Melbourne would offer him a new contract at the end of next year? I'm not saying Tomlinson is not wanted by the Club but he's not getting game time at the moment and might get 2 or even 3 years at another club where he plays every week. I guess what I'm saying is clearly Tommo would be exploring all options. He'd be mad not to.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is is it possible we and the media overrated his performance against Collingwood?

At the time it appeared as though it was one of the stiffest omissions of recent memory. Maybe the coaches weren't satisfied with his performance and didn't have the confidence to continue with him irrespective of Petty who was injured at the time.

He'd slot in really well at North as one of their key defender if he's got the stomach to digest a 3 to 5 win season.

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

He should not have been dropped after the KB game. He was back to his form of early 2021. We don't have a replacement for him: Turner is an interceptor, and is not nearly as strong as Tommo one on one. He should be our permanent third tall defender, releasing Petty to the forward line, where he was playing when we were the highest scoring team in the league. That was not a coincidence; although Petty was still learning, he was contesting and defending in the forward line extremely well. And Petty can make serious mistakes, which cost goals in defence; in attack they simply weaken a scoring opportunity.

Couldn't agree more. I really think Goody has totally scrapped the Petty move which is strange because as you correctly mentioned, was finally working well. Which really means that Tommo is just a spare. Maybe the media is on to something and that the bloke just wants to play some serious footy in the twilight of his career. Probably a good three years left. His pies performance was no accident. Hes a good footballer and it would be a shame to lose him. I guess when you have depth there is always the annual churn from the yearn to play.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

They have enough youth - they need to replace McKay with a ready made defender. Handing them a 1st round compensation for a contractual blunder is disproportionate and will not make them a better team for next year. They need compensation picks to bring in mature bodies.

Hopefully our club doesn’t tick off on this. 

No reason why they can't use pick 3 (should they get it) to trade in a player or 2. 

So many 'ifs' went against Tomlinson.

If he hadn't been injured, obviously. If Petty hadn't lifted so well in response to the opportunity. If the experiment this year with Petty forward had been a success.

I think he's been very unlucky and has good AFL level football to play, but it is hard to see him waiting for his luck to turn at Melbourne when there must surely be other clubs looking for a mature, proven defender at a comparatively low price in trade and salary space.

Meanwhile, I'm still keen on Curtin in the draft as the premium-tier successor to May and future defensive partner to Petty, which is a scenario that would basically put a line through Tomlinson's medium term opportunities as well.

Also, surely there's no way Ben McKay is going to get inflated to a start-of-first-round selection? Comparison to James Frawley just reinforces the point - Frawley was an established All-Australian key defender with 100+ games to his name. Ben McKay has managed just one season without major interruptions, for his highest B&F result of 6th in 2021. Pick 3? Joking.

North are surely in fantasyland, like so much of their list strategy the last five years or so.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lewis said:

The only player Daniel Turner will be replacing in the backline is Jake Lever. He’s an intercept defender, skinny and not an amazing one on one player like May or Petty. Tomlinson is a good backup for one of those two, so if he goes we’d probably need a new back up in that department, Adams obviously not up to it yet either.

Smith can do it plus gawn still drops in holes which wont change

• Like 1

While I completely understand why he wants to look elsewhere, I think we would be silly to let him go. 

May is turning 32 and Petty is injury prone. Who steps in with the experience and physicality required to play their role next year when required? Adams is far too inexperienced. Asking him to step in next year is extremely risky while we are still in our premiership window. 

• Like 2

Petty has been injury prone this year and his form has been patchy. If tommo takes his opportunity this weekend I doubt he’ll get dropped again.

You never know how things will play out. Tommo’s injury in 21 opened the door for petty who took his opportunity brilliantly. Who’s to say tommo won’t do the same thing now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

Petty has been injury prone this year and his form has been patchy. If tommo takes his opportunity this weekend I doubt he’ll get dropped again.

You never know how things will play out. Tommo’s injury in 21 opened the door for petty who took his opportunity brilliantly. Who’s to say tommo won’t do the same thing now? 

No chance Petty doesn’t make it back in as soon as he’s fit. I still don’t know why we don’t persist with him as a forward tho. 

• Like 3

Arguably the most consistent (MFC listed) player this season for Casey.

Should never have been dropped after the Pies match, especially with Petty coming back from a 5 week layoff and Tomo playing such a superb match.

Equally the strangest selection decision all year for mine alongside Spargo as sub.

Would hope the club see his value here as an alternative for Petty plus a VG player in his own right that allows Lever to play his preferred role.

Petty for mine is a better option playing as the deeper one v one defender on a tallish defender.

Whereas Tomo seems more suited to a leading 2nd/3rd mobile leading tall who plays a bit more time higher up the ground.

Horses for courses.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Is is it possible we and the media overrated his performance against Collingwood?

At the time it appeared as though it was one of the stiffest omissions of recent memory. Maybe the coaches weren't satisfied with his performance and didn't have the confidence to continue with him irrespective of Petty who was injured at the time.

He'd slot in really well at North as one of their key defender if he's got the stomach to digest a 3 to 5 win season.

Beaten by Casboult against Gold Coast.  Beat Johnson (who's been dropped again) against Collingwood.  They're two pretty different players.

11 hours ago, rjay said:

Adams?

Wouldn't be the first time Goody has brought in a youngster due to injury who has subsequently flourished. Petty himself was brought in with little experience after Thommo went down. Bowser too, after an injury (Hunt?).

Not comparing those players ability with Adams', just that the pick and development faith in Taylor, Lamb and Goodwin is well deserved

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, old55 said:

Beaten by Casboult against Gold Coast.  Beat Johnson (who's been dropped again) against Collingwood.  They're two pretty different players.

Are you referring to Casboult beating Tomlinson? I don't believe Tomo played that day.

He did get a hiding against the Essendon forward line in Adelaide.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Are you referring to Casboult beating Tomlinson? I don't believe Tomo played that day.

He did get a hiding against the Essendon forward line in Adelaide.

You're right.  I was probably thinking of McKay vs Carlton.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BDA said:

Being a premiership fullback would help Tomlinson's trade value for sure! 🤪

• Like 1

Tommo is perfect fit for Western Bulldogs, desperate for defenders, wouldn’t take less then pick 30.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

He's contracted and is valuable as a spot starter or depth player.

I understand he would like more game time, but I can't see the dees just letting him go cheaply given his value to our list. The premiership window is still open, and we be need quality depth 

Adams looks like he might be an option in a year or two, but isn't ready to come in to fill a role yet.

Kye Turner I haven't seen enough of, and disco Turner is a player he but more of an intercept type backman.

Tommo is valuable and should stay until his contract ends 

7 hours ago, DemonWA said:

Given Barass seems to be open to leave WCE I'd be surprised to see Thommo get much more interest than last year 

Manager said probably Barassi probably stays, just had another child, Swans are the other club if he goes.

Edited by Redleg