PODCAST: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 17th July @ 8:30pm. Join Binman, George & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Lions.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0199.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Just now, binman said:

I've got a question. 

Where does that rank on the best home and away wins list?

At the very least it's the best win since round 23 2021, Gawn after the siren to beat Geelong at KP by 4 points.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

I have a few questions from last night.

1) Will Judd McVee finally get that elusive Rising Star Nomination this week?

2) Was that Jake Melksham's best game for the Demons?

3) Now with 8 goals from 2 games, if Christian Petracca can continue this incredible form is he a smoky chance to win the Brownlow medal?

4) If Harry Petty is out injured does Adam Tomlinson come in as his replacement?

5) What do we need to do to beat the Adelaide Crows next week at the MCG?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, binman said:

I've got a question. 

Where does that rank on the best home and away wins list?

I was thinking the same however I still think Geelong 2021 and West Coast 2018 are slightly ahead IMHO.

Or more specifically can this win provide a level of momentum similarly to the Geelong game in 2021, we were unbeatable after that night.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

Jake Melksham was the definition of Clutch . the mark and the goal . nerves of steele . i could barely bring myself to watch the shot on goal .

i would love to get the panels thoughts on him and his role going forward . obviously he remains in the side whilst Fritsch is recovering from his foot injury , and this might be too soon to call whilst we're basking in the sweet glow of his match winner , but does he have a role to play once Fritschy returns ?

• Thanks 1

Our leaders were huge in the last and dragged us over the line. Gawn was back to being Gawn, Melky was clutch and our Bulls in Viney and Petracca had massive impact. Getting lost in all the emotion of the incredible victory is the work of Gus. I thought he was excellent and was involved heavily in some important stoppages. He has been impactful since his return to the midfield in the absence of Clayton Oliver and back to playing some of his best footy in 2023 after a quiet and unmemorable start to the season. He was great on the wing in 2021, he was superb in defence in 2022. When Clarry inevitably returns where do you see Gus playing and what is his best role for the club going forward.

Sorry for the long question. Love the podcast.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking my question last week. I’m really enjoying the podcasts each week. 

How did you think our key forwards functioned this week? I wouldn’t mind Benny Brown and Rooey getting a few weeks playing together. 

• Thanks 1

What do you fellas think of using Joel Smith as our Super Sub? Can slot in forward or back and if a mid goes down we have plenty of players that can roll through the middle. 

Or do we need to give him some more game minutes to see what he can bring to the table?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latley I can't help but view our games through the lens of the podcast discussions and specifically Binmans fatigue hypothesis. When we were 4 goals up before we had time to blink  I felt that same feeling of 'That son of a [censored] is right' - reminiscencent of when we belted Freo at Optus last year after Nostradamus Binman had called it from a long way out. 

The rest of the game obviously was a bit of a different story but the way we ran out the game was a massive tick. After that game it's hard not to be outwardly bullish about the rest of the season. 

Sorry for the rambling comment. 

The actual question I'm keen to ask is who comes in for Petty (who needs to get himself right). Thommo, Smith and Hibberd would all have legitimate claims

• Thanks 1

What a Herculean effort from Max Gawn!!! I read that it was the highest ranked game of his career. 29 Disposals, 21 Contested, 39 Hitouts, 17 Hitouts to Advantage, 10 Clearances, 7 Tackles & 1 Goal. 

It can’t be a coincidence that this return to form coincided with Brodie Grundy‘s axing. 

Can I get the panels thoughts on the dropping of Brodie Grundy and what that means for him in 2023 and also if Max is to go solo for a few weeks how do we manage it in terms of Max’s career longevity? I don’t want to burn Rooey out by playing him 2nd ruck so early in his career. 

• Thanks 1

Love your thoughts on the last quarter of Trent Rivers especially his toe poke and drive to win the ball to get it forward after the Viney goal. 

Did the panel notice how Petracca was being held/scraggiest at almost every stoppage in the second half? He ended up finally getting a free kick but felt the umpires were happy to let this go on for far too long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love the pod! ️. An amazing win, Max, Trac, Viney personified incredible effort, skill belief and leadership. We were clean and on early, raced to 4 goal lead and looked like we would run away. Brisbane (clearly a good side) eroded that lead by half-time before getting out to 28 points themselves several times. How did this 50 point swing happen and what do we need to improve in this middle period?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Love the Pods guys.  Keep up the great work!

Simple question from me:  

Chandler or Spargo?  I understand Spargo’s role, but he hasn’t delivered to his normal standard for a while now.  Chandler was out of form before he was omitted, but has reportedly done well for Casey over the last couple of weeks.  Is it time for a change?

• Thanks 1

Trac’s forays up forward have really paid off in the past two weeks. 8 goals 2, 46 possessions, 26 contested, 8 marks, 9 tackles. Do you think we will see Petracca played in the same manner for the rest of the season in a Dusty of old like role?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Titus Totty said:

Just a comment. How good was viney’s goal that got us to 5 points?

Easily the victim of the night as for me it was the absolute most quintessential Jack goal of AT, pure grit & determination with poise to finish — match winner 💯 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts on Petty being played while obviously hurt? Brisbane had free reign into our D50 until Joel Smith came on and we could actually get the matchups evened out again.

• Thanks 1

The Brisbane game was a near shoot out and we were quite happy to be super aggressive with our ball movement and our zone pressing high up the ground.

Given Brisbane's lack of pace, our zone could play higher and only be at risk to a Bailey or someone like Cameron out the back.

Do we think with Adelaide's pace, it's more likely we'll sit our zone deeper and let them try to move the ball through it, with our aim being to force them wide and then slingshot on the counter, ala the Collingwood game?

Or do we go super aggressive like last week and try and blow them away?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@binmantotally nailed this in the pre game thread saying it would be high scoring and that we would come out and play fast. 

Big thankyou to @Demonlandfor taking the Glen Waverely line on Fri night as an omen!

My question this week is that we are obviously missing Oliver but it can be hard to explain why considering contested ball and clearances has still been really good last few weeks. Would like to hear from the guys what they think the main thing we are missing in Oliver's absence. Is it the quick hands out of the contest to clear congestion? Is it the fact that it would allow Petracca to play more forward? Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1