• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 16 vs GWS

Demonland

9 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

My gut from hearing Richardson pre-game is that Oliver won’t be ready. 

I’d drop Petty and send him to Casey to find form. I disliked the decision to bring him in for Tomlinson when it was announced and the more I think about it the more I hate it. We’d seemingly settled on him as a forward, he then doesn’t play football at all for 6 weeks, and then we decide not only to insert him straight back in off no prep against Geelong in Geelong, but to do so in defence when we were coming off one of our best defensive games all year, forcing us to drop Tomlinson after his best game in years.

Never ever play Spargo as the sub again (nor any other small forward). Midfielders or utilities only. It shouldn’t even need to be said. Spargo was bad anyway, and shouldn’t come back into the 22.

Smith was good in the first half but a major problem in the second half when he routinely failed to stop Stewart from marking. Must lift, but I’m not at all confident he has the ability. 

I want Rivers in the middle permanently and Bowey into the backline. Rivers takes Jordon’s spot.

One of the rare times i didn't see the ins/outs spending a night in hospital.

I recovered in time to watch the match and was stunned when i saw Spargo getting his gear off coming on as the sub.

I figured he was dropped completely from the team after last weeks horribilis.

Goodwin apparently unable to read the "in form / out-of form" tea leaves and play the right cards in terms of time needed at Casey and giving others from there (who are in good form) a chance.  Wrong type of player to impact as sub regardless.

One of the worst selection moves in a long while.

Harmes or even Woe may have had more impact.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 3

7 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

One of the rare times i didn't see the ins/outs spending a night in hospital.

I recovered in time to watch the match and was stunned when i saw Spargo getting his gear off coming on as the sub.

I figured he was dropped completely from the team after last weeks horribilis.

Goodwin apparently unable to read the "in form / out-of form" tea leaves and play the right cards in terms of time needed at Casey and giving others from there (who are in good form) a chance.  Wrong type of player to impact as sub regardless.

One of the worst selection moves in a long while.

Harmes or even Woe may have had more impact.

Hope it's nothing too serious mate.

Selections have mostly been on point this season but this was one of the worst. If we're going to be experimenting at this point of the year then we might as well get the Woeys and the Howes' involved or someone keen to come in and make an impact.  

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

31 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Dazzle, who legitimately is playing better at Casey though? I’ve watched all their games this year and aside from Howes, Disco and Woewodin I don’t reckon there’s much there.

Howes and Turner aren’t better players than our current backline.

We seem to be light on for outside skill.

But Howes adds outside skill and poise.

Plays wing/half back exceptionally well.

The 3 names you just mentioned have been playing consistent footy at VFL for zero reward. I'll add Bailey Laurie to the mix. 

Yet we continue to reward the same out of form players such as Jordon, Nibbler, Spargo, Petty, Langdon, Pickett who have all barely fired a shot this year.

It's no wonder we let go of good little players like Toby Bedford because the club wanted to stick with their favourites in Spargo and ANB last year who were badly out of form

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

11 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Choco Williams needs to get stuck into the kicking training again. Our accuracy has been horrible the last 5 matches and is basically the difference now.

They need to build giant shower heads over Casey Fields so they know how to play in torrential rain.  The last two games where they've played in such conditions, ie last night and against Port Adelaide, have been horrendous.

• Like 1

In: Oliver, Tomlinson, Woewodin (sub)

Out: Chandler, Jordon, Spargo

Petty, despite his stinker last night, must play forward. It was gob-smacking to see him shifted there at around the 23 minute mark of the last quarter. What was the point of that? Ridiculous. He should have been there from the start with Tommo down back. Woewodin must be given a chance, surely he can provide more than the three who deserve to be dropped. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

It will either rain or be 27 degrees and we’ll be cooked for St Kilda the following week at Marvel like we ran out of gas against the Dogs last year.

But hey - It’s good for the community I guess….

The average rainfall in the Alice for July is 13mm occurring on 1.3 days. Don't think rain will be an issue.

The average high is 20 degrees so 27 would be a surprise.

The ground is big and should suit BBB. If he plays a reasonable VFL game at Geelong tonight I'd have him in place of Smith.

Harmes on Greene might be an idea. At least make Harmes the sub to keep the option alive.

PS I share the concern of others re Oliver. I expect he has lost a fair bit of match conditioning that could take a few weeks to rebuild

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Flower Magic said:

In: Oliver, Tomlinson, Woewodin (sub)

Out: Chandler, Jordon, Spargo

Petty, despite his stinker last night, must play forward. It was gob-smacking to see him shifted there at around the 23 minute mark of the last quarter. What was the point of that? Ridiculous. He should have been there from the start with Tommo down back. Woewodin must be given a chance, surely he can provide more than the three who deserve to be dropped. 

Was Petty moved forward to play defensively on Stewart or as a genuine attacking forward? And who did he replace?

8 hours ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

We didn't he's talking about next week against GWS its our home game in the NT, we sell it to them.

Ok...thanks for that. Next question, why were Geelong wearing the white ( away ) shorts last night?

My ideal ins/outs (ie probably won't happen)

In: Oliver, Bowey, Tomlinson

Out: Jordon, Spargo, Chandler

Tomlinson back, Petty forward.

If Brown is fit and in good VFL form then him forward, Petty back and Tomlinson stays out.

Bowey to half back and Rivers to spend more time in the midfield.

This part is probably harsh but I would make Smith sub. Think he offers so much versatility that he can be subbed on for just about anyone. He can slot down back if a defender goes down or likewise forward. If its a mid that goes down then he can release someone from those areas to play more midfield minutes.

I was really hoping Laurie kicked on this year, he is the ideal replacement for ANB with superior skills and decision making. Not sure he has the defensive running numbers though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Was Petty moved forward to play defensively on Stewart or as a genuine attacking forward? And who did he replace?

Good question and I have no idea. My point is that by the time he was shifted, the horse had bolted down the Geelong Road and was already halfway to Melbourne, so the move was pointless either way.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Flower Magic said:

Good question and I have no idea. My point is that by the time he was shifted, the horse had bolted down the Geelong Road and was already halfway to Melbourne, so the move was pointless either way.

I'd say we just threw him up there because what the heck.

Unlikely we put him forward to mark Stewart in the last 5 mins, when you're up against it the last thing you should worry about is fugazi like that. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Starting to feel that Spargo is quite limited as a footballer. I give credit to his use of ball but he just doesn't get the pill often enough .

He is good as a small forward although can't kick past 40m very often.

But since we have Chandler up fwd with Kozzie, Spargos previously role as a goalsneak has diminished  somewhat. Mind you so have the other two.

"STARTING TO FEEL SPARGO IS QUITE LIMITED FOR A FOOTBALLER"

I have been saying this for years!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

But Howes adds outside skill and poise.

Plays wing/half back exceptionally well.

The 3 names you just mentioned have been playing consistent footy at VFL for zero reward. I'll add Bailey Laurie to the mix. 

Yet we continue to reward the same out of form players such as Jordon, Nibbler, Spargo, Petty, Langdon, Pickett who have all barely fired a shot this year.

It's no wonder we let go of good little players like Toby Bedford because the club wanted to stick with their favourites in Spargo and ANB last year who were badly out of form

I 'd like to see Langdon and Nibbler dropped to make a statement for Howes and Woewodin but I think that will mean too many changes. Goodwin doesn't like making wholesale changes 3 max I say. That would be Tomlinson who never should have been dropped, Bowey and Oliver. If Oliver doesn't come up I'd be debuting Woewodin. The outs would be Jordon, Hibberd who is cooked and Smith. Smith to stay in if Fritsch gets suspended. 

The sub will more likely change to I see Harmes coming in to that role can't see a debutant doing it.

Edited by WERRIDEE

18 hours ago, praha said:

Jesus, you'd think GWS would think they're a legit chance.

They are

• Thinking 1

10 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Fritsch would have to be at risk of copping a week. His opponent’s head hit the ground unfortunately and this seems to be a text book 1 week suspension this year.

It’s a shame as he’s the one forward that actually knows what he’s doing out there in terms of forward craft.

We’ll find out within the next hour or 2 about Fritsch and the MRP.

There wasn’t any malice in the incident and Kolijasni got straight up, but head did make contact with ground. A real 50/50 proposition.

In order to avoid handing out so many suspensions where players aren’t hurt from sling/dangerous tackles, the less serious incidents like Fritsch’s should be graded as low impact rather than medium and hence a fine rather than suspension.

Like the umpire dissent being relaxed, I predict next year that they’ll be more lenient on the dangerous tackles.

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

I 'd like to see Langdon and Nibbler dropped to make a statement for Howes and Woewodin but I think that will mean too many changes. Goodwin doesn't like making wholesale changes 3 max I say. That would be Tomlinson who never should have been dropped, Bowey and Oliver. If Oliver doesn't come up I'd be debuting Woewodin. The outs would be Jordon, Hibberd who is cooked and Smith. Smith to stay in if Fritsch gets suspended. 

The sub will more likely change to I see Harmes coming in to that role can't see a debutant doing it.

I agree wholeheartedly. 

Not many people will like to admit it but Hibberd is cooked indeed.

Has given us great service but Rohan torched him last night. Joel Smith would have been the perfect prototype match up for him but he's up forward.

I was actually liking Smith's game until he only touched it once after half time and gave zero respect to Tom Stewart. 

I'm genuinely lost with selections now. Thought we learnt our lesson last year but we haven't. Same old favourites getting the same reward for [censored] poor form.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Contrary to the long term averages showing very little chance of rain it seems that Alice will be getting an unseasonal downpour and cold snap this week.

Friday is a Maximum of 12 and 25mm of rain

Will be interesting to see the weekend forecast

http://www.bom.gov.au/nt/forecasts/alice-springs.shtml

FFS the one thing I was counting on was that it was going to be a dry game.