• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 16 vs GWS

Demonland

9 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

For?

Chandler for mine.  Needs to rediscover some form and finish at Casey alongside Spargo.

We need at least two genuine tall forwards & a medium tall.... BB, JVR & Smith.

Been overweight too many smalls for weeks.

One or more of those three (maybe in a shared role) need to take the true CHF posi.  Been our biggest positional weakness all year.

We'll win more consistently once we solve the Tall/Small balance, have a regular tall genuine forward playing CHF (not Grundy or Max) and the forward line playing a more dangerous style/system that sees separation and room being made as a result of regular leads etc.

That may mean playing Grundy as the sub?  Comes on at some stage in the second half for Max when/if he's cooked.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Sadly Charlie hasn’t been the same since he was out with concussion just doesn’t seem to be getting to the action like he was prior when he replaced JJ Thursday night their was an immediate drop off, he had two touches in nearly a half a game of football. He played a lot better Friday night at VFL level and perhaps should stay at that level until he gets his spark back.!!

I think his headband is on too tight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Having had a serious look at the Casey game there's a number of players that should be under serious consideration and a couple that are really putting their hands up.

Should be coming straight in....

BB for Chandler

Bowey for ANB

Tomlinson for Petty (yes you got this completely wrong Simon..... put your hand up son).  Tomo in his best form in years and even well ahead of Petty at this point (defensively).  Petty as a part time forward is handy but experiment is over now that Joel's in & BB is back.  Can't see how/where he fits in.  Nothing against Petty just the way it is post injury.  He's a VG back up once he gets back to his best form via Casey.

Melksham or Harmes for Jordon (as sub).  Melksham's in some serious form which might add a few goals up forward if Kozzy, Fritsch or Joel are having a mare.

Knocking on the door....

Turner ...back to his best on Friday.  No room at AFL level at this point but he is ready if needed imv.

Howes ... clean as and reads the play beautifully.  Rarely turns it over.  Great by hand & foot.  Also able to hit targets with last kick inside on occasions. 

Option here is to bring him in to replace McVee's role.  Move McVee into Hunter's role on the wing.  McVee great defensively and with his disposals/connections coming into 50 plus the run drive off the wings/HB that Hunter doesn't have.

Woewodin...starting to get to the right places more often and alot more contests.  Defensively he is quick to get in the oppo's face and corrals well. Disposal getting better by the week.  Still kicks the odd clanger but its more like 1 in 4 instead of early days 50/50. Classy outside player with decent run/speed who often finds targets inside 50.  Something we are crying out for big time.

Woewodin's a juicy prospect.  Once Clarry is back I'd be almost tempted to leave Sparrow or Langdon out for Woe for a block of games and see how he goes.  Exactly what we need on the outside but can he cut the mustard at this point under the big lights for more than one or two quarters.  I'd roll the die in the next few weeks once Clarry returns.

Will any of the latter 'Disney' options happen?  Maybe in a parallel world!

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 2

5 hours ago, Flower Magic said:

24 beautiful degrees in the Alice today, but then rain starts tomorrow and continues until Saturday, with big falls of around 20mm on Wednesday and Friday. So the Todd River will be flowing! Thankfully it is forecast as dry on Sunday, but cold, just 11 degrees maximum after three similarly cold days preceding it. And here I was, looking forward to escaping the Melbourne chill. 😒

Will the cold weather help us, who knows?

Saturday maximum now predicted to be just 8 deg with 30mm of rain, after 23mm on Friday. The friggin' ground could be underwater. Lads may need to pack their snorkels. 😵🏊‍♂️🌧️

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Someone remind me why are we playing games in Alice??

Am I correct in saying we sold this as a home game?

Stupidity comes to mind Dazz.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, A F said:

Yeah, revenue, how stupid.

Well, if we put it on the membership to attend the game at the G, in order to end the Alice games, I wonder what the nett figures might end up as, after deducting all costs not covered in that $500K.

If it was say $200k difference, you then factor in the inconvenience of travel and other associated factors and compare that to a true home game, in front of your fans.

You might even sell a lot of those 3 game memberships, on the back of another home game at the G.

With 65000 members, we are surely now in a position to not need the Alice money like previously and could repay the members with another game to attend.

We already travel interstate as much as any Victorian team and more than a lot of others and also have our annual Kitty Litter game, where the members can't get in. Worse, this year it was played on thursday night, creating just another way to stuff up families from attending.

As an idea,  you could abandon the Alice game, get another one at the G instead and put the price up on membership by $5.00 for Victorian MFC members. That could result in about $350k from the $5 increase, plus the revenue of the G game and you would be ahead on the venture, without travel etc.  This would give the Victorian members another game to attend and ensure it was a real home game, with the possibility of even a free kick in our forward 50 for a change, if the crowd could yell loud enough.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I can see Oliver training with the main group on the story Melbourne posted on Instagram this morning

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

How do hamstrings perform in snow or mud?

20 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Well, if we put it on the membership to attend the game at the G, in order to end the Alice games, I wonder what the nett figures might end up as, after deducting all costs not covered in that $500K.

If it was say $200k difference, you then factor in the inconvenience of travel and other associated factors and compare that to a true home game, in front of your fans.

You might even sell a lot of those 3 game memberships, on the back of another home game at the G.

With 65000 members, we are surely now in a position to not need the Alice money like previously and could repay the members with another game to attend.

We already travel interstate as much as any Victorian team and more than a lot of others and also have our annual Kitty Litter game, where the members can't get in. Worse, this year it was played on thursday night, creating just another way to stuff up families from attending.

As an idea,  you could abandon the Alice game, get another one at the G instead and put the price up on membership by $5.00 for Victorian MFC members. That could result in about $350k from the $5 increase, plus the revenue of the G game and you would be ahead on the venture, without travel etc.  This would give the Victorian members another game to attend and ensure it was a real home game, with the possibility of even a free kick in our forward 50 for a change, if the crowd could yell loud enough.

You're assuming, of course, that the extra home game would be played at the MCG. It could be scheduled at Marvel. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Chandler for mine.  Needs to rediscover some form and finish at Casey alongside Spargo.

We need at least two genuine tall forwards & a medium tall.... BB, JVR & Smith.

Been overweight too many smalls for weeks.

You forgetting the medium tall we already have in Fritsch? 
Not just you btw, when a lot of 'experts' talk about our forward line, he never gets mentioned as part of the make up... of our forward line.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

You forgetting the medium tall we already have in Fritsch? 
Not just you btw, when a lot of 'experts' talk about our forward line, he never gets mentioned as part of the make up... of our forward line.

He plays more like a medium small much of the time Ouch imv.  Sometimes as a medium tall yes.  Bit of a crossover player here.

I'd go, Oliver for JJ.

BBB for Chandler and go bigger in the front half, including Petty down forward. JVR, BBB and Petty forward, with Max dropping down back when he's on the filed with Grundy. 

Smith for Tomlinson. 

Smith to start as the sub, with a view if there are no injuries to bring Max or Grundy off during the 3rd or Petty/JVR earlier if we need greater run.

Tempted to bring Bowey in for Hibberd, but I that would work better next week as Hibberd would be the Greene match up, and until the end of the year I don't think Hibberd should play 2 games in a row. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

The amount is closer to $1M per game. I suspect it's around $850k-$900k.

From that you deduct our travelling expenses. As I understand it costs of travel by interstate clubs (GWS) are usually paid by the AFL. How this formula applies to any additional costs (If Alice flights and accommodation being more expensive than Melbourne) I do not know.

The NT Government pays to have both teams come to play in the Territory but has not said how much it cost. In a 2016 press release then-CLP Chief Minister Adam Giles announced the government would pay $1.6 million each year to play one game in Darwin and one game in Alice Springs, in a deal covering 2011, 2017, for a total cost of $3.2 million.

https://ntindependent.com.au/three-afl-games-again-for-the-nt-government-put-no-cost-on-deal/

My feel is that we would be down $500k by playing in Melbourne. I'm not sure the Alice game hurts our win/loss chance unlike the Darwin game which has now gone thankfully. (In other threads I have mentioned our risk of being drawn to play GCS in Darwin. We should demand that this not happen while we play in Alice.)

Finally the fixture as to date and time needs to be fixed 10 months in advance.

PS: the other deal we could pursue is an annual game in Mildura or Wangaratta funded by the Vic Govt like Footscray have done with Ballarat

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2