Dees Potential Draft Play to Secure Pick #1

Demonland

1 hour ago, A F said:

I was told Nick Watson and Harley Reid will not leave Melbourne. FMD, things are changing. More JHFs.

chad wingard said the same thing about only wanting to play for an sa-based side

every chance he'll be in a third state in 2024 after hawthorn trade him out at the end of this season; irony would be if he ended up at gw$ after all

Edited by whatwhat say what
wingard, not rozee
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

connor rozee said the same thing about only wanting to play for an sa-based side

every chance he'll be in a third state in 2024 after hawthorn trade him out at the end of this season; irony would be if he ended up at gw$ after all

connor? who plays for port?

• Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, A F said:

I was told Nick Watson and Harley Reid will not leave Melbourne. FMD, things are changing. More JHFs.

Watson I can understand, once you're set up at a private school in the footy bubble why would you want to leave. Reid is funny, he's not even from Melbourne, how can he not leave?

One of the big worries with selling the farm for one of these absolute top line prospects is you've got clubs and managers blowing smoke about JHF style contracts. He didn't just leave North, he left in to the sweet embrace of a 6 year deal.

We're having a run with Daicos, JHF, Ashcroft playing great footy from year 1 or year 2, but there's every chance some of these guys are going to be more like Rayner or Petracca and be slow burns.

You fork out the draft capital, you deal with the pressure and hype and you have to pay the kid crazy money from year 3.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Reid is funny, he's not even from Melbourne, how can he not leave?

Kane Corne's article was more about avoiding the basket case AKA West Coast Eagles by threatening to leave.

I could imagine that this choice is open to at least the top 5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Watson I can understand, once you're set up at a private school in the footy bubble why would you want to leave. Reid is funny, he's not even from Melbourne, how can he not leave?

One of the big worries with selling the farm for one of these absolute top line prospects is you've got clubs and managers blowing smoke about JHF style contracts. He didn't just leave North, he left in to the sweet embrace of a 6 year deal.

We're having a run with Daicos, JHF, Ashcroft playing great footy from year 1 or year 2, but there's every chance some of these guys are going to be more like Rayner or Petracca and be slow burns.

You fork out the draft capital, you deal with the pressure and hype and you have to pay the kid crazy money from year 3.

So let me be clear here.

The person I was talking with is a close friend of Watson, but doesn't know Harley, so that part could well have been pure speculation.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Kane Cornes in today's Age....

"But Reid’s career would be at risk of stagnating, rather than flourishing, on the big stage should he, as expected, be drafted by the Eagles.

After Jason Horne-Francis’ exit from North Melbourne just a year after being announced at No.1, Reid should make it very clear to the Eagles that he could do the same. He would only need to tell West Coast of his intent to return home to a Victorian club after his mandatory two-year contract expires, if not sooner.

If Reid and his management group are savvy and strategic, they can engineer the Eagles into trading the No.1 pick to Melbourne, which is prepared to offer multiple first-round selections in return for the first crack at securing Reid."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-the-afl-s-next-big-thing-needs-to-avoid-football-s-graveyard-20230614-p5dgje.html

Has some Nic Natanui vibes about it. Eat a bag West Coast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

connor rozee said the same thing about only wanting to play for an sa-based side

I think you are getting Rozee confused with Wingard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, A F said:

While that could end up being good for us it is bad for the competition. One of the key pillars of equalisation is the draft and if this stuff keeps up I can see clubs agitating for greater "academy" recruitment and the draft is a best of the rest type deal.

Easy fix is to lock in rookie contracts for 4 years, much harder to bluff clubs when you know you're there for at least 4 years. Clubs could also have 5th or 6th year options like they do in the NFL so players are effectively tied to the club they are drafted at until free agency.

• Like 3

In one of Cal’s recent podcasts, Reid was being interviewed, and was asked about potentially going interstate. He replied by saying something like he was really close to his family, and sort of left it at that. It was easy to read between the lines.

• Like 5

Great players these guys may, that’s maybe, become.  They are only one player. 

with Tasmania changing the future, 

we should look to draft to cover this period of time when the draft is corrupted

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 640MD said:

we should look to draft to cover this period of time when the draft is corrupted

The invention of the two northern franchises and the concurrent introduction of free agency stuffed us - and other poor teams - for about a decade

I don’t think the Tasmanian team - if it happens - will be quite as pronounced

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

I just don’t like the way the draft is progressing. If players can choose to go to only the teams they want to then the bottom teams and poorer clubs are truly screwed. Which …. one day… may be us again. 

I agree. Don’t get me wrong, happy to capitalise on any opportunities it may present for Melbourne, but having been on the other end of go home draftees, I reckon the minimum length of the initial contract has to be longer than 2 years now. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 640MD said:

By drafting Tasmanian talent in this draft? Meets our needs and if they jump to the Tassie team when it sets up then we should be very well compensated with draft picks in a draft where good picks are hard to come by. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

It speaks volumes about a young player if, instead of just being happy to be drafted, they’re already making demands on where they want to go. It’s a very me attitude in an us competition. 

Does it... you get one career of around ten years at most. Do you want to "waste" five of it in a rebuild.

Surprised that Larkey re-signed with North today. Five odd years of losses and low crowds.

Throw in Tasmania and the almost inevitable twentieth team it doesn't look good for teams bottoming out in say two years

• Like 1

Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

Does it... you get one career of around ten years at most. Do you want to "waste" five of it in a rebuild.

Surprised that Larkey re-signed with North today. Five odd years of losses and low crowds.

Throw in Tasmania and the almost inevitable twentieth team it doesn't look good for teams bottoming out in say two years

But that is how the system works. If you’re a top draft pick, then by definition you will end up at a lowly club. 
Imagine if Trac or Oliver said “nah mate your club is a mess I don’t wanna go here”.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

I agree. Don’t get me wrong, happy to capitalise on any opportunities it may present for Melbourne, but having been on the other end of go home draftees, I reckon the minimum length of the initial contract has to be longer than 2 years now. 

But this didn't prevent JHF from leaving after his first year either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, A F said:

But this didn't prevent JHF from leaving after his first year either.

True, but it ensured Roos got max value for him. We don’t want a second year player holding the club to ransom. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Kane Cornes in today's Age....

"But Reid’s career would be at risk of stagnating, rather than flourishing, on the big stage should he, as expected, be drafted by the Eagles.

After Jason Horne-Francis’ exit from North Melbourne just a year after being announced at No.1, Reid should make it very clear to the Eagles that he could do the same. He would only need to tell West Coast of his intent to return home to a Victorian club after his mandatory two-year contract expires, if not sooner.

If Reid and his management group are savvy and strategic, they can engineer the Eagles into trading the No.1 pick to Melbourne, which is prepared to offer multiple first-round selections in return for the first crack at securing Reid."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-the-afl-s-next-big-thing-needs-to-avoid-football-s-graveyard-20230614-p5dgje.html

It’s only 4 weeks ago Cornes was saying how Larkey, Sheezel, Wardlaw may not want to stay at North if they didn’t show improvement. Wardlaw signed an extension later that week.

Things are never as bad as they seem and never as good as they seem. I hate West Coast but they are a proud club with a lot to offer in terms of facilities and off field benefits. They are rock bottom now and will be down for another year or two, but they will bounce back and be pushing for finals in 2026ish. Ginbey is a Luke Hodge type leader, Allen is similar and now they have fully committed to the rebuild they will unfortunately work their way back 

• Like 5