GAMEDAY: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

1 hour ago, kev martin said:

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

I always associate this night with the part of the ode, "At the going down of the sun", and leading to the dawn service.

The beginning of reflection.  

The ceremony and people's energy, is amazing and so heart filled.

⬆️ This is what’s on the other side of the banner. White letters on a sky-blue background (neutral) with red and blue along one edge and yellow and black along the other. It’s not as outstanding as the front but it’s not meant to be. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Are you sure gates are closed and not just lights out from 6.55?

Could be lots of angry people queuing to get in after 6.55 if gates are closed - afterall it is a work day and people will be coming from all over Melbourrne.

Definitely closed during the ceremony. They reopen them immediately after the ceremony, which goes for 13 minutes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Definitely closed during the ceremony. They reopen them immediately after the ceremony, which goes for 13 minutes. 

I get not letting people into the seated areas but locking the gates to keep them out of the concourse sounds a bit OTT.

Wouldn't the club details say gates are locked to forewarn?

Anyway, I hope gate security has their riot gear handy!!

Edited by Lucifers Hero

4 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Two years ago this was the game that made the competition stand up and see us as real premiership contenders. The rest was history. 
Let’s hope today is the start of a beautiful 2023 campaign that ends much the same way. 
We’ve been good at best and mediocre at worse over the last 5 weeks. Time to start taking things seriously. 

Good at best?

Our performance against Sydney was up there with the best football any side has produced so far this year. Some of our football against the Dogs was excellent, too.

Yes, our worst football this year has been mediocre but our best has been stunning. That is, IMO, part of the disappointment - we're so good when we're on, but we're not that good at all when we're only slightly off. Our gap is too big right now.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Good at best?

Our performance against Sydney was up there with the best football any side has produced so far this year. Some of our football against the Dogs was excellent, too.

Yes, our worst football this year has been mediocre but our best has been stunning. That is, IMO, part of the disappointment - we're so good when we're on, but we're not that good at all when we're only slightly off. Our gap is too big right now.

Yeah I thought the Sydney game was brilliant. It gave me a lot of confidence for the season and then.......

It's been a rollercoaster so far.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Good at best?

The Sydney game was very good, but Sydney have proven to be very mediocre this season thus far. 
I am definitely not seeing a premiership side out there. Yet. Doesn’t mean that we don’t have what it takes to be one. It’s only April. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DemonWA said:

I thought Petty played plenty of time down back last week. Salem's 2021 form was incredible too.

But yes, no Lever and Hibbo made us alot weaker - both are good one on one, and Levers ability to judge when to leave his man and when to stay was sorely missed.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yes, he did.

My apologies. Of course he did. My excuse is that I tend to blot out from my memory any losing game. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I get not letting people into the seated areas but locking the gates to keep them out of the concourse sounds a bit OTT.

Wouldn't the club details say gates are locked to forewarn?

Anyway, I hope gate security has their riot gear handy!!

I’m going by some DA OGs who’ve worked at this match for decades. Although, now some of them are clarifying it… the gates are “effectively shut” as in nobody through the turnstiles at the very least during the Last Post and the minute’s silence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’m going by some DA OGs who’ve worked at this match for decades. Although, now some of them are clarifying it… the gates are “effectively shut” as in nobody through the turnstiles at the very least during the Last Post and the minute’s silence.

Some DA OG's are confused.  This is only the seventh ANZAC Eve game.

My experience has been that everyone stops for the minute silence and last post, wherever they are in the stadium. 

So people can arrive at the gates during the ceremony and know they can get in after a minute or two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

With all due respect to the writer - I wish writers/journalists/pundits wouldn't dumb down language when referencing a match.

I'd argue, we didn't have an 'off week'. May looked hobbled, Lever was out with an injury, Hibered was out injured, Gawn was out injured, and all these injuries combined contributed to a system that broke down....

No doubt we were unoperationalised detrimentally defensively 😉

• Love 1
  • Clap 1

Some of the DA OGs are rather old so yeah, probs confused. I don’t know how they’d be aware of what happens at the gates past opening times anyways since we all get there as soon as gates open and don’t leave until we’ve *sung the song and packed up all our gear.

So sorry if I’ve caused confusion.

* yeah, I said sung the song. Coz that’s EXACTLY what we’ll be doing tonight. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DubDee said:

First pint is being had!!

i made it to 3pm!!

Well done! You need standards. My rule is no alcohol before 12pm (New Zealand time) or if away on a wine-tasting weekend no Port until 10am. We do need to look after our health after all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I hope our losses are due to being a home ground (MCG fortress) team now (struggling as away team), and we get the best out of our players on the MCG. Would love us to unbeatable on the hallowed turf. That will set us up for a great finals series, so long as as we make them and get the home ground matches. 

When we play good footy and do it for the four quarters we are more than competitive with any other team.

I get a sense, they don't like losing. 

Would hate for us to over try, lose our rhythm, not find the "zone" and end up as individuals pushing and not a team jelling.

I want to see us run them off their legs, swarm in attack, hunt, get and spread, then make great connection. The other thing is, be in the contest, as I think it is bad footy, when we sit back and let the opponents get to the ball first with very little pressure.

C'mon backs, miserly best.

Forwards to take their opportunities. 

Mids to transition well when turnovers happen, get more contested possessions and clearances than the Tiges.

Not too much to ask!

Go Dees

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I should have known you would respond. 

The bas543d drove off too quick.

My dad called me a bas***d once. I told him it was a bigger insult on him than it was on me.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Twice on the weekend I heard Dermott Brereton say that for his our pre-match ceremony is more poignant than the ANZAC Day match pregame ceremony since it’s at nighttime, thus the spectacle is way more effective. I fully agree with him. 

Is that because he said it once and you heard it once @WalkingCivilWar?

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

The Sydney game was very good, but Sydney have proven to be very mediocre this season thus far. 
I am definitely not seeing a premiership side out there. Yet. Doesn’t mean that we don’t have what it takes to be one. It’s only April. 

The Sydney of now wasn't the Sydney we played. Since then they've lost all their key backline players, both McCartins and Rampe, Amartey, Buddy. Of their best 22 they were only missing Reid (who I think is a very important player for them) and Hickey when we played them. And Buddy played way above how he normally does against May.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deebymistake said:

Reminder to those in the Eastern suburbs - buses replacing trains on parts of the Lilydale and Belgrave train lines until end of May.  The trip will be longer than usual.  Boo  

Sitting on the express bus to Camberwell as we speak.

Been at work so it's taken my mind off the game but Gee I want to see a response after last week's debacle.

Get back into the 8 boys. No excuses tonight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Satan said:

PSA

For those using Glen Waverley line , no trains at end  of game ,only buses

Glen Waverley line passengers
Buses will replace trains between Richmond and Glen Waverley this evening. 
Passengers are advised to go to Richmond station for replacement bus services. 
Those travelling beyond East Malvern are to get a Pakenham or Frankston train to Caulfield station for replacement bus services.

maybe this can be pinned on top of every page 

Where did you get this information. I can see nothing on the PTV site