POSTGAME: Rd 04 vs West Coast

Demonland

15 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Why are you all at each others throats? 

Its literally a discussion forum.

Viney isn't perfect but I'd rather have him than play against him. That said, it's also not heresy to question his spot and worth to the team, same as any other player in the side. 

Just chill - we are sitting in a good spot, playing well but not too well, whilst a number of our apparent competitors have had spluttering starts. Our splutter will come....enjoy the footy while we are winning and stop ripping into each other about selections you can't influence in any case 

I'm hoping we had the splutter in round 2. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Macca said:

He is at the back of the stoppages in a fail-safe role.  A trouble-shooter positionally where the ball is often kicked away from where he is (by the opposition) Almost a decoy role at high half-back

When obtaining the ball he is quickly dishing off short (either diagonally or forward) to a player who can advance the ball longer.  And his efficiency is first rate despite the utterings from the naysayers

Renember 2021 when he copped no end of criticism?  It stopped when it was calmly pointed out about his role as a defensive wingman

By the time we got to the GF everyone could see what his role was .... that 3rd quarter was a beauty!

Yes no arguments from me on the role play sit.  Especially that of 2021!

There's so much we arent privy to with role play/fitness/loads etc...

Anything we.discuss is mostly pure speculation in most cases yes?? 😂

It's too early to be making calls on any player's form anyway imv.

Sometimes their form can turn around in one week as we saw with Viney against WC and they're off to the races with everyone quickly forgetting about a few early season (seemingly) out-of-character performances (whether marginal or otherwise).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Macca said:

I have a different take on the boot off the ground by Gus.  I believe he knew what he was doing and took the risk of 1 or 2 things eventuating

Either a boundary throw in or them being hemmed in the back pocket unable to switch play to the fat side

A calculated risk that ended up paying off big time.  There were about 4 sliding-door moments within 30 seconds, monoccular!!

But Brayshaw knew what he was doing I have no doubt.  He's a quick thinker under pressure

Maybe you are right, but I have lasting memories of my mixture of emotions in that minute or so - firstly anger at an umpire being so out of touch with "the feel of the game" that he could consider that anyone would be thinking what I think you are thinking, then the unbridled joy at the OOB on the full and the 50 m penalty, Jake's calmness and Max's brilliant mark and goal.  Almost, just almost,  more satisfying was the finger pointing between the Cat defenders who allowed Max to slip away.  The overwhelming joy of the moment is still with me.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I liked the game and the result. Took what WC dished up in the first quarter, beat them at their own game and then showed them how it really should be played in the second half.

Coulda? Shoulda? Woulda? Yeh, whatever. I will take a ten goal win on the road any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

Aspects I liked from the game included Viney showing improved form, when he keeps it simple and relies on his strength at the contest he impacts the game in a big way. I liked the way the forwards connected and worked for each other. I liked the way our senior mids worked into the game after slow/contained starts. 

I liked the way our forwards hit the scoreboard..... Spargo, Chandler and Pickett all playing the way small forwards should..... TMac, Frisch and JVR all doing what they needed to do.... all this scoring is a good reflection of better delivery into the forward 50.

A few questions being asked on this thread so I thought I would give my OPINION..... I would have last Sunday’s Viney every round and not bother about his IQ , footy or otherwise  we are a better team with him in the team and in form. Salem or Gus? The position is Gus’s at the moment and he is filling a role very well. Salem is/has been injured/unwell and until he is back in training and played a couple of games at Casey to show his form, there is no question. By the time he is back to match fitness and in form there may be some others that may not be performing. If both Salem and Brayshaw were fit and playing their best footy I would have them both in the team.

A shout out to the team structures and culture as it is these things that allow our young players to develop and mature in the right way. McVee, Sparrow, Jordon, Bowery, JVR, Chandler...... all successes when they were brought into the team. A big part of that success was the fact that there was no pressure on them to be superstar saviours. Just told that they were ready to come in and do what is asked of them.

4 more points......

• Like 5
  • Clap 2

5 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Maybe you are right, but I have lasting memories of my mixture of emotions in that minute or so - firstly anger at an umpire being so out of touch with "the feel of the game" that he could consider that anyone would be thinking what I think you are thinking, then the unbridled joy at the OOB on the full and the 50 m penalty, Jake's calmness and Max's brilliant mark and goal.  Almost, just almost,  more satisfying was the finger pointing between the Cat defenders who allowed Max to slip away.  The overwhelming joy of the moment is still with me.

It was the moment wasn't it?

30 seconds that changed everything

Who knows?  If the free kick isn't paid then the Cats might have been able to kill the game with all 36 players hemmed in that forward pocket

It's just as well Gus got pinged in order for the chain of events to then follow.  Another deliberate, the kick to Gawn, the Gawn goal, top of the ladder etc etc

Amazing memories which led to the drought-breaking flag

And now we want more and we've got the team to do it

• Like 3
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Are you sure about that? Doesn't look it to me

Edited, because I posted a photo from the wrong ground… I plead old timer’s disease. This is what I meant to post (MCG posts)…83D5D17E-4EFE-49B7-AF48-561AC5BAFCF1.jpeg.babbbdd7218496a6df9179c319e84775.jpeg

510CFE96-B75B-4CC2-BD52-0AEE3631F23E.jpeg

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

No mention of this in the rules.

3.3 GOAL POSTS AND BEHIND POSTS
3.3.1 Position
(a) Two posts, to be called goal posts, shall be a minimum height of six metres and a maximum height of 15 metres and be placed at each end of the Playing Surface at a distance of 6.4 metres apart.
(b) A further two posts, to be called behind posts, shall be a minimum height of three metres and a maximum height of 10 metres and be placed at a distance  of 6.4 metres on each side of the goal posts so that a straight line can be drawn on the ground to join each post.

3.3.2 Padding
A Controlling Body must ensure that padding is attached around each goal and behind post as follows:
(a) a minimum of 35 millimetres thick foam padding, covered in canvas or painted;
(b) a minimum height of 2.5 metres from the bottom of each goal and behind post;
(c) a suitable width to allow the padding to be fixed around each goal and behind post; and
(d) the padding must be securely attached around each goal and behind post.

There doesn’t need to be any mention as the fact that the back of the goal post (with padding included) aligns with the back of the goal line, means that if any of the ball has not cleared the rear of the goal post (padding included), it is a point.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, demon3165 said:

Don't think I need to spell it out for you, again read I know you have read John and Betty.

Wo wo wo.  I stood up for Viney when you posted that he has no football IQ.  I did not intend for my post to be the catalyst for some ugly stuff.  You have your views on Viney, you posted them, I have my views on Viney and I posted them.  Enough. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Deebymistake said:

Wo wo wo.  I stood up for Viney when you posted that he has no football IQ.  I did not intend for my post to be the catalyst for some ugly stuff.  You have your views on Viney, you posted them, I have my views on Viney and I posted them.  Enough. 

That's a shame because I was in a fighting mood 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, hardtack said:

From all of the photos I’ve seen of the goal posts at the SCG, they do line up… not my red circle, but this is a shot from the SCG showing the post in relation to the goal line.

3F8B7F86-46B3-4F83-B25D-284D677EC0C3.jpeg

I don’t know if Fritta kicked a goal or if it was a behind. I’m just happy that his brilliant streak of at least one goal in every game continues.

LOL Dane Rampe… what a clown.🤡

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I don’t know if Fritta kicked a goal or if it was a behind. I’m just happy that his brilliant streak of at least one goal in every game continues.

I should have been posting the MCG anyway 🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

He really did look like a [censored] that night.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, David-Demon said:

This is simply not true. Glouftsis bounces the ball and did bounce the ball om the weekend.  In fact, Id argue she bounced it better on the day than some of her counterparts.  Grundy was even rolling his eyes at a few of the centre bounces being recalled back. It might be recency bias but the quality of the bouncing has been appalling this year.  

As for the umpiring, i agree it was pretty sub standard on Sunday but most of the missed decisions were not Glouftsis'.  Her unpiring was actually pretty spot on. Early in her career she made errors for sure but she has been more consistent in her decision making and is a good umpire imo.    

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, hardtack said:

There doesn’t need to be any mention as the fact that the back of the goal post (with padding included) aligns with the back of the goal line, means that if any of the ball has not cleared the rear of the goal post (padding included), it is a point.

Surely this fact needs to be mentioned somewhere in official AFL literature? Or is it up to individual groundskeepers to "interpret" in classic AFL fashion? I am prepared to accept it as fact but not from an incomplete sampling of photos.

12 hours ago, demon3165 said:

You call what I say about Viney a rugby player and lack of footy IQ Vitriol, you really have led a sheltered life.

Your posts are exceedingly tiresome.

Who can be bothered engaging with a troll - or having a trolls puerile teenage psyche clog up a thread.

Not me.

So I'll pop you on ignore.

Don't worry about replying - I won't see it.

See ya.

Edited by binman
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1