• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Ginnivan admits drug use

3 hours ago, Demonstone said:

It's time we legalised the lot and stop the hypocrisy and double standards. 

Yeah, great strategy .... Not.
I don't wanna be waking the streets or on the roads full of trippin' zombies.

• Like 2

It’s not as if the AFL, through the various pathways to the elite level of the sport, doesn’t spend significant resources in education on the subject of recreational drug use, is it? 

The great majority of players who get onto senior lists are responsible and mature about this and a whole raft of subjects that has an effect on their lives but there’s always a small minority for who the learning slips through cracks. It’s a case of dealing with it properly. I think Gold Coast probably got it right with the case of Mac Andrew driving under the influence. It obviously needs the personal follow up to prevent it from getting out of hand and destroying the individual and his career. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

You already are. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1

I’m confused on what drugs are legal and what drugs are illicit. Govt’s and multinationals hand out the same drugs they punish others for, then dictate a moral value/compass on society. Our Govt is now handing out hallucinogens, opioids, cannabis, Ketamine etc etc. 

I don’t have a problem with drug use as long as it is not harmful to the person or others around them. I’m more offended Ginnivan plays for the Filth. 

As for being a role model, each and everyone of us is a role model to some degree. Responsible and harmless drug use is role modelling and I include prescription drugs, alcohol  and all other drug use. Until we actually have a narrative and understanding to this situation, leave the kid alone. What he has done is part of mainstream society 

• Like 3

"I understand that as an AFL player, I have standards I need to meet and, on this occasion, I have fallen well short of the standards expected of me as a footballer and as a representative of Collingwood." 

LOL. 

Edited by Rab D Nesbitt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Drugs are already out there.  People are taking them.  Prohibition has not stopped and will never stop their use.

The question is then how to deal with it.  It's completely illogical that alcohol (a drug, by the way), which causes more problems in society than all other drugs combined, is legal, readily available and socially acceptable but other drugs are "bad" and illegal.

My opinion is that we should legalise, regulate and tax drugs just like we do with alcohol and tobacco.  These taxes should directed into health services because this is a health issue, not a legal issue.

By doing so, we would free up Police to concentrate on real crime, clear the backlog in the court system and stop the overcrowding in jails.  It would also eliminate the criminal involvement and get the "dirty" back-yard lab drugs off the street.

As to your last point, nobody should be driving if they are impaired by alcohol or any other form of drug.

• Like 9
  • Clap 7

Like everyone else here, I am happy for anything that might disturb Collingwood’s preparation but those hoping it will derail their season are kidding themselves.

Ginnivan is an attention seeking, cheating s&&@head but he’s a small 1-2 goal forward. His impact on the game is nowhere near as great as the attention he gets for being a knee/dropping peroxided brat.

There’s nowhere in his game the forward pressure impact that Spargs and Kossie have for us.

if he didn’t play for the Pies and cheat so blatantly we wouldn’t know his name.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Drugs are already out there.  People are taking them.  Prohibition has not stopped and will never stop their use.

The question is then how to deal with it.  It's completely illogical that alcohol (a drug, by the way), which causes more problems in society than all other drugs combined, is legal, readily available and socially acceptable but other drugs are "bad" and illegal.

My opinion is that we should legalise, regulate and tax drugs just like we do with alcohol and tobacco.  These taxes should directed into health services because this is a health issue, not a legal issue.

By doing so, we would free up Police to concentrate on real crime, clear the backlog in the court system and stop the overcrowding in jails.  It would also eliminate the criminal involvement and get the "dirty" back-yard lab drugs off the street.

As to your last point, nobody should be driving if they are impaired by alcohol or any other form of drug.

Spot on @Demonstone. There’s ample proof around the world that where de-criminalisation has been trialed, hospitalisations drop, crime drops, and overdose deaths drop. It’s the logical, proven step, and nobody in their sane mind could argue otherwise. As with many things however, we are lead by the US, who have constructed industries around meaningless crime and punishment - most obviously their prison-industrial system. Our leaders don’t currently have the courage or foresight for decriminalisation. Ironically, we’ve just seen a spark of hope, with the approval of psilocybin and MDMA for treatment resistant depression and PTSD, one of only a handful of countries to have done this to now. Motivated no doubt by the potential (and it’s huge) reduction in state mental healthcare costs. It will revolutionise mental health treatment, and gradually be extended for further application. There’s no doubt wholesale decriminalisation is inevitable, it’s just the pointless waiting that baffles.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Clap 1

52 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

"I understand that as an AFL player, I have standards I need to meet and, on this occasion, I have fallen well short of the standards expected of me as a footballer and as a representative of Collingwood." 

LOL. 

This was educational. Wasn’t aware the filth have standards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It’s honestly hard to care or feel for him when he has gone out of his way to be as arrogant and as insufferable as possible. And when they came for him, he cried about it. 
Talented kid, who should let his footy do the talking and stop drawing unnecessary attention to himself. Or it won’t end well. 

Edited by Jaded No More

1 hour ago, pitmaster said:

Like everyone else here, I am happy for anything that might disturb Collingwood’s 

Ginnivan is an attention seeking, cheating s&&@head but he’s a small 1-2 goal forward. His impact on the game is nowhere near as great as the attention he gets for being a knee/dropping peroxided brat.

There’s nowhere in his game the forward pressure impact that Spargs and Kossie have for us.

if he didn’t play for the Pies and cheat blatantly 

Hey there, why don’t you tell us what you really think, 

10 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

If he's dumb enough to be doing whatever he's doing in public and being able to be filmed doing so.
Stuff him.

He is a role model to some young kids whatever anyone else thinks.

clearly only a footballer and not a rocket scientist.

society sets standards, he does not meet them in this respect. 

Chuck the book at him.  Stuff him and Collingwood 

14 hours ago, Deebauched said:

Collingwood's  season getting off to a bad start before the ball is even bounced. They wont suspend him from AFL games in March surely. Not that mob.

I didnt think the'd suspend him from AFL matches. The whole matter will blow over and be forgotten by Round1. If Millane had done that nobody would care . Imagine if Millane got rubbed out. The ferals would be out for blood.

Edited by Deebauched

4 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

I didnt think they'd suspend him from AFL matches. The whole matter will blow over and be forgotten by Round1. If Millane had done that nobody would care . Imagine if Millane got rubbed out. The ferals would be out for blood.

Geelong wins R1. Typical.

Our society is full of those who use substances. Pharmaceutical use is widespread, the ones that affect the brain, the alert levels and personality. How many get around on methadone, analgesics, anti-anxieties, and those with unusual side effects such as drowsiness or personality changes.

Abuse is a different and difficult aspect to drug use, recreational and medical use still has its detrimental effects. Quite often the substance is performance enhancing or required to have a “normalised life”. Recreational drug use isn't more dangerous or harmful because the abused substance is legal or illegal.

The use of illegal substances, I believe, is society creating more damage on the users,  and their friends and family. Stop telling other how to live their life and victimising those who don't have strong safety nets. The jails and, those with drug convictions, are full of the lower classes.

Sports people have more scrutiny than other entertainers on the substances they take. When I read and interpret drug use in and about the music, art or fashion industries, I see very poor role models for the young. The sporting groups do much more to educate and help the associated issues from drug use and getting better about alcohol use.

Why don't the sanctimonious have the same attitude towards performance enhancement of the musicians and artists? Boycott the festival, or TV, till the personalities pass drug tests. (sarcasm).

At times in our life, we run around high, and that is the human condition. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Jibroni said:

drugs are only covering up his deeper personal problems.

Except they’re not. If they were, he’d never play another game in the AFL, such is the frequency and unpredictability of urine testing, as well as the nature of drug addiction. Drug addiction can’t be turned on and off at will when it suits. He clearly doesn’t have a drug problem.

In all likelihood he was “doing drugs” purely and simply because he enjoys it. 

But we won’t be told as much. We’ll be told that it’s a mental health issue or as you say it’s to mask deeper personal problems, the zeitgeist. Because once this card is played, he’s off-limits in terms of being judged.

And this is where the damage is done because this is misinformation, especially for young people who really should be told that it is possible (even if not advisable) to indulge in illicit substances on occasion WITHOUT it meaning they have serious underlying problems.

Of course, kids won’t ever be told this because it’s seen as condonation. But these kids who look up to the likes of Ginnivan are being misled and must wonder why it’s acceptable to have a drink on occasion for enjoyment without it meaning there’s serious issues being covered up, but not so for recreational drugs. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Can't say I'm a fan of the 'if it makes the papers you get punished' system for football.

Can't say I'm a fan of half the finance executives in Australia wheezing schneef with impunity while police are busy [censored] teenage girls at music festivals.

I'm in an awkward spot - I do not support anything like a free-for-all on drugs because addiction is real, many recreational drugs are hideously toxic, and there is no way to cleanly separate the existing networks of supply and exploitation from any attempt a new, less harmful drug culture.

It is such a difficult policy area - any progress has to somehow be made with great precision while also walking near-blind with the lack of information about how any given change will affect the situation. I take some heart that in the last 20 years or so we've made huge progress towards actually being able to discuss the topic rationally, though this is still an area where the "Mark Lathams vs Lidia Thorpes" festival of loud morons takes center stage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got caught ducking again, this time in a toilet cubicle 😉

How stupid do you have to be. I’ve got zero sympathy for guys like this. The players get put through education courses for this stuff and clearly know what is allowed and not allowed. They’re often role models and do charitable work in the community to fight issues like prevalent drug use ruining communities and young kids futures etc. The AFL does a heap of work to help other charitable causes and communities of people. The players get paid far more than all the other Australians currently doing it tough in this economic climate. It’s not hard to stay off the gear. 2 weeks is a slap in the wrist. He should’ve got a big suspension, 10 weeks or something equivalent. Same goes for that dopey muppet Bailey Smith last year. Weak.

• Like 1

Education and honesty in policy and approach the way to go I reckon.

drugs can be great fun but as with alcohol you pay a price. Most people can dabble and not form addiction but others can’t (same as gambling and alcohol). Educate people so they understand the risks and can make an informed decision. And have the supports in place if things get out of hand.

I view getting caught with a spliff or popping a party pill as no different than overdoing it on the drink and making a fool of yourself. It happens. Let’s not demonise. Kids will be kids.

I have a pretty strong libertarian slate but I don’t believe drug use should be legalised other than marijuana (relatively speaking the least dangerous drug, less dangerous than booze in my opinion). It has too much impact on families and communities. The greater good is to keep illegal. Focus police effort on the high level overlords who organise and control rather than low level pushers and users.

as for the argument legalisation reduces crime im afraid it doesn’t hold. Yes crims can’t profit from drug pushing but criminals going to criminal. They just figure out new ways to commit crime. And taxing the product just creates a black market (this has been the experience in the US)

16 hours ago, daisycutter said:

what a surprise 😲

last person i would have suspected 😉

No wonder he is able to 'collapse' onfield, so 'convincingly'!