Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What They Are Saying at Moore Park

Lucifers Hero

Their Official Preview thread started last night is cheekily titled:  Melbourne Vs Sydney - Mount Buller Financial Woes and starts with:

I want everyone to stop thinking about football for one second and feel for those who are running the resorts and ski fields at Mount Buller, since Covid Melbourne have managed to break our previous norms and become one (rather incredible) football team. So of course instead of spending their hard money on a September ski trip, they are now putting it towards grand final packages and finals tickets (with Damn good reason), this has robbed a key Victorian attraction of a financial resource. 

So if you have some spare coin, please consider donating it to a Carlton or North Melbourne fans get away, you all know the people of Mount Buller need it.

I thought that was rather cheeky but gracious!

The Official Preview (condensed version):

Where the match will be won:

• decided not out of the middle, but due to which team can bring greater pressure over the entire four quarters.
  • If Sydney can maintain their manic pressure from some of our recent matches (Not the St Kilda and North matches) this will go a long way to deciding the final outcome.
  • Melbourne have an elite inside game with some of the best contested bulls in the league, but if we can place these players under pressure, then their disposal out of the stoppage could be rushed and will greatly benefit our turnover/ skills based kicking game.

Key Battles

• Mills vs Oliver - Got a gut feeling that this will be a key head to head match-up. If Mills can break even here and hurt Oliver in the other direction we will be immediately put on the front foot.
  • Franklin vs May - Usually when it comes to Franklin match ups it is purely about the opposition somehow stopping him, this week though I have a slightly different proposition. Franklin will need to lead May away from the contest a lot this week and if May is at the contest I want to see Franklin break away then hurt him in the other direction. May being out was a huge loss for Melbourne last game, I would rather not see this repeat again.
  • Team defence vs Melbourne Forward Line - Melbourne rotate a lot of different players through their forward line and outside of Ben Brown (Tom McCartin's likely match up), their players don't stay stationary. We will have to be on our toes and commit to a zone style of defence to break them apart (Which I honestly believe we can do). 

Final Thoughts 

• If we can weather the early Melbourne storm at both the start of the match and after half time (This is a hard ask), then I honestly believe we can win this match of football. Melbourne have been rather inconsistent over the back part of the year and whilst they were impressive last week, Brisbane were also not the side they were earlier in the year. 

Final Prediction:  Sydney by 23 points

Other comments on the 'Official Preview' thread;

• Great preview Bonz, great to see you back in fine sledging form with your titles!  Sh---ing myself. Hate this sport.
  • Very confident. Good to have a stress free week and a bit.
  • Melbourne have had a tough draw in the second half of the year and have been found wanting at times. However, they were pretty good last weekend against the Lions. Will be a tough game and hopefully we don’t start slow after the week off.  Sydney by a point. 
  • Given that Clayton Oliver had nearly as many clearances as the other 43 players combined in the Brisbane game, I dare say limiting his influence is key. Particularly given our own centre clearance woes.  Rowy, meet Clayton
  • Clayton Oliver scares the absolute s**t out of me. He's just this freak of nature who does not stop, and can not be stopped. All you can do is hope to drag him down from ridiculously dominant to just "good".  Rowbottom made that happen last time.
  • Melbourne owe us for Paul Roos turning that [censored] around I think their best is still the league best to be honest
  • Wake me up in 4 weeks so I can watch our grand final highlights.

My favourite:

• Given that Clayton Oliver had nearly as many clearances as the other 43 players combined in the Brisbane game, I dare say limiting his influence is key. Particularly given our own centre clearance woes.  Rowy, meet Clayton

Comments from their earlier 'Unofficial Preview' thread in the next post.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 10
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Comments from the earlier 'Unofficial Preview' thread:

• Melbourne should be more scared of us than we are of them
  • Interesting Melbourne with 11 total games against final top 8. What a s**t fixture.
  • Get every Swan to look at this guys (Gawn’s) face, convince them that it is a really bad idea to kick the ball high to a teammate if this man is also near that teammate.
  • Not worried about him. He dominated last time and we won.  It’s the rest we have to fear but I think we match up so well against them.
  • It will drive me insane if we kick it to the big bald bloke all game long
  • Yes we beat them once and at this ground but that was ages ago. We are a different team then, probably better tbf but as they showed over the weekend that when they can go, boy they go.
  • Our best wins and we will need to bring it all game
  • Feeling a career best game from Isaac, reckon he is primed to explode...
  • The Grand Final last year showed this Melbourne team is a finals team. No one can have an off game
  • Not just the grand final. They won all three of their finals by an average of 63 points. And it's no wonder when they have names like Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, May... these are players who will be seen as greats of their generation in their respective positions, especially the first two.
  • Very dominant finals campaign reminded me of Richmond 2017 run.
  • 42 inches of snow cover at Mt Buller.  I suspect there’ll be plenty of tickets available.
  • Will we adopt our Freo game style of short kicks down the field to avoid Gawn, May and Lever?
  • We have the ability to not get drawn into their gameplan. The fact we are adaptable is what will set us apart, if we match them at the clearances we should be able to win but if we allow Gawn, Petracca and Oliver to get on top it'll be a blood bath
  • Not really happy with the prospect of facing either Brisbane or Tigers if we don't win this one. Not confident about beating the Dees either, they looked unstoppable before half time against the Brions.
  • Hope we're not out in straight sets...
  • The key will be pressure, even if we don't win first use, we shouldn't allow them the time & space to get easy inside 50s. If we put enough pressure, we'll create that turnover game our defence loves.
  • I also don't care if Trac & Oliver get a ton of possessions because their ball use is pretty average
  • May back for Melbourne is the biggest change from that game. He's really the lynchpin of the demons
  • Break works to our favour. Our Young kids are tiring out and need the refresh. The Dees have awesome form but now have a bye to stop their momentum. Gut running and fitness will be key on the expanses of the G as will breaking even in the centre clearances. I say we win.

My favourites

• It feels really weird to be genuinely terrified of an opponent but also very confident we can knock them off.
  • Even if we lose, I’ll still have Essendon’s comical misery to cheer me up.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Get every Swan to look at this guys (Gawn’s) face, convince them that it is a really bad idea to kick the ball high to a teammate if this man is also near that teammate.

It will drive me insane if we kick it to the big bald bloke all game long

Even if we lose, I’ll still have Essendon’s comical misery to cheer me up.

The fear of Maxy is real. 😁

Also, I love the last comment (above) since this applies to all eight finalists! Essendon are the hot mess we all enjoy. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

LOVED THIS

• Clayton Oliver scares the absolute s**t out of me. He's just this freak of nature who does not stop, and can not be stopped. All you can do is hope to drag him down from ridiculously dominant to just "good".  Rowbottom made that happen last time.

Just think that the rrrrrs might just fall outa Rowy this time!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, picket fence said:

LOVED THIS

Just think that the rrrrrs might just fall outa Rowy this time!

Pickett, I just knew you would pick out those posts.  If there was betting available for it I would have loaded up!

But I agree, they were clever and gave me a good laugh!

I'm noticing that he is getting a lot more credit in the media of late, which is great.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Apparently Oliver and Petracca don’t use the ball that well. Okay then.

When you get 200 touches a game at 80% disposal efficiency, that's 40 disposals that are no bloddy good. Fair enough, I say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Sydney's form is kind of hard to read. Since July 2nd, they have really only beaten two good sides. The win against Fremantle in the West was impressive, but far less impressive than the demolition we handed them. Whilst they have won more games than us in that period, they have played some ordinary opposition, Collingwood aside. They were beaten by Essendon, who were horrendous. They struggled against the Saints. Took a long time to overcome North, eventually prevailing. Smashed the insipid Giants. 

In comparison, we did a job on Adelaide away from home. Narrowly lost to Geelong, playing some of our worst football down at the sardine tin. Ended Port's hope of finals in an impressive outing in the Alice. Bottled the game against The Bulldogs, after leading all night. Smashed Fremantle in the West. Experienced the Collingwood comeback. Hard fought win against a desperate Carlton. Deestroyed Brissy! 

While our form is patchy, I'd argue that we have played stronger opposition and had some tough road trips along the way.  Short turnarounds and back to back travel. The confidence of Swans fans, based on some of those comments above makes me laugh. I particularly loved the comments about Tracc and Oliver being wasteful with possessions. Would love both to completely tear it up in the Qualifying Final. 

• Like 7
  • Thinking 1

Snow gags? OMG they are hilarious.

Maybe we should oblige with some Mardi Gras gags or rain jokes

Sydney's Observatory Hill weather station registered 1547.4 mm of rain during the first six months of 2022, marking the wettest January to June period in 164 years of records.

Melbourne rainfall to Jun 1 - 151 m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Snow gags? OMG they are hilarious.

Maybe we should oblige with some Mardi Gras gags or rain jokes

Sydney's Observatory Hill weather station registered 1547.4 mm of rain during the first six months of 2022, marking the wettest January to June period in 164 years of records.

Melbourne rainfall to Jun 1 - 151 m

Good gag but as Sydney based Dees supporter (as of Jan 2022) that statistic makes me so sad 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The demon machine had been idling along pretty much all year. It has been well maintained and only required minor tweaks and modifications throughout the journey. 

Come finals, it’s going to be a different beast. Pedal to the metal and drive it like it’s stolen. Out best performances are about to go on show……again. LET’S GO DEES

Watch out Swannies, you are about to become road kill

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Lived in Sydney in 1997 for 6 months. Probably the most overrated city on the planet. Weather doesnt bother me but it rained heavily almost every evening i was there.

Why do we still have these stupid ski jokes. If you surveyed 1000 people at Bulla   i bet Hawks, Blues even Pies supporters will dominate.

There are loads of rich Collingwood supporters. I remember many were at Melbourne Grammar. Some of the most prominent lawyers and surgeons are pies fans .

Dees by 6 goals.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2022 at 7:59 AM, Lucifers Hero said:

Their Official Preview thread started last night is cheekily titled:  Melbourne Vs Sydney - Mount Buller Financial Woes and starts with:

I want everyone to stop thinking about football for one second and feel for those who are running the resorts and ski fields at Mount Buller, since Covid Melbourne have managed to break our previous norms and become one (rather incredible) football team. So of course instead of spending their hard money on a September ski trip, they are now putting it towards grand final packages and finals tickets (with Damn good reason), this has robbed a key Victorian attraction of a financial resource. 

So if you have some spare coin, please consider donating it to a Carlton or North Melbourne fans get away, you all know the people of Mount Buller need it.

I thought that was rather cheeky but gracious!

My mates been living in Sydney for 3 years. And after those 3 years he hates their supporters more than any other.

they are fickle, turncoats and barely understand the rules.

“Bloods Culture”

Academy Picks have kept that club propped up for the last 12 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1