• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

4 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

What .  Are you in the media?

Grundy came bursting in when a dirty Richmond player drove his knee into JVR on the ground after taking a mark. Tossed the young punk aside.

He was also involved in a few other scrapes with opponents when teams were sizing us up. Silly them!   Grundy loved it.

Grundy is a Dee so keep him.

It was always a risky decision but dumping him for anything less than a golden opportunity to get a big marking  foward( no knocks on the 192 cm JVR competing with Kossi in flying from behind the pack) or a better pick than MFC got him for  ( 1st rounder please)  would be  DUMB..getting even DUMBER.

Meanwhile, changing the thread title might be a sensible idea

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Who's he replacing first up?

Weather wise it's leaning towards being a wet Thursday night game, so already I'm putting a line through his name. His last performance under slippery conditions against Carlton was sub par hence Goody dropped him the following week.

I know Goody has said he's in the mix but to be honest I think that's his way of wanting to deflect from all the Grundy talk as he's obviously sick of it being brought up every week.

Imo they'll choose McDonald and only way Grundy plays September is if Gawn is out injured.

Out injured?

This September or next?

ps TMac is also likely to be out injured...this game or next.

Edited by IRW

14 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Grundy has been nothing but committed and passionate. He has done absolutely nothing wrong. Both he and Gawn wants this to work but unfortunately it hasn’t. If he wasn’t playing alongside Gawn I doubt he’d be the one dropped. As Gawn said he was lucky to have the C next to his name because he wasn’t performing either. 

I am sure Brodie is very disappointed at this turn of events. He came to us wanting to win a flag and make a strong partnership with Gawn work. He probably is very upset at the thought he might be at his third club in 3 years, when he never wanted to leave the Pies to begin with. 
I have nothing but respect for how he’s carried himself and I have no doubt that if he goes at season’s end he won’t burn the club on the way out. 

100% with this

• Like 3

If Grundy is so committed then why is he talking to other clubs about moving? He's given up on the Demons in less than a year. You might have a different meaning too committed but he's jumping ship at the first failure. Why not spend the off season working really bloody hard to make it work and then hit 2024 at full tilt. No, I'd rather go elsewhere where I can be number 1. Committed, my asre!

• Facepalm 2
  • Vomit 3

11 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

There is definitely two opposing camps on DL. The Keep Grundy Camp  and the Trade Grundy Camp.

I reckon alot of posters simply hate Collingwood so they rip into the Grundy deal.

I liked the Grundy deal but we needed them to work at it for longer than 6 months!

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

Grundy has been nothing but committed and passionate. He has done absolutely nothing wrong. Both he and Gawn wants this to work but unfortunately it hasn’t. If he wasn’t playing alongside Gawn I doubt he’d be the one dropped. As Gawn said he was lucky to have the C next to his name because he wasn’t performing either. 

I am sure Brodie is very disappointed at this turn of events. He came to us wanting to win a flag and make a strong partnership with Gawn work. He probably is very upset at the thought he might be at his third club in 3 years, when he never wanted to leave the Pies to begin with. 
I have nothing but respect for how he’s carried himself and I have no doubt that if he goes at season’s end he won’t burn the club on the way out. 

I wartched the last half of KB yesterday afternoon.  I advise everyone who doubts us to do the same.

What struck me was how useless Cameron was in the ruck, how Cox - despite the knees up approach -could no way keep up with Max.

AND the valuable contribution Grundy made that day, both rucking and around the ground.

If he's in next week I won't be too upset. 

• Like 4

Can't you be committed to your currently employer when you are 'at work' and still explore other options? Or is that just possible in the rest of society?

Every human, at some existential point in their life (often accompanied by a moody rainy afternoon and a vinyl record of The Smiths playing in the background...oh thats just me in my 40's), questions their career choices. We're constantly looking for the job that fills our proverbial emptiness. AFL players, with their athletic theatrics and ephemeral stardom, are not immune to this human experience. Their time under the limelight is finite.

The AFL isn’t some omnipotent god, but it does understand these cosmic complexities. They've not only recognised this dance but, in a modern twist, made it kosher. Imagine, if you will, being in a rock band and not being able to discuss joining another band until your current album tour ends. Sounds absurd, right?

Now, the media,  the perennial puppet masters - they love to add a splash of melodrama. But if you, like a keen-eyed detective from a 70s noir film, sift through their hyperbolic tales, you'd see that this AFL-sanctioned tango is less Shakespearean tragedy and more just a reflection of life's mundane realities.

Here's the kicker: The AFL isn't some isolated, mystical realm. It mirrors the very world we all inhabit.

I see most players (in this case Brodie Grundy) as a kind of modern-day Odysseus, tied to the mast of his/her ship. On one side, there's the beckoning call of Port Adelaide and Sydney - new adventures, and perhaps a more enticing narrative for his own footy odyssey. On the other, there's the somewhat calm waters of The Demons, a team perched on the precipice of glory, and not playing a meaningful game day role.

This isn't just a choice; it's a metaphysical conundrum. It's Bob Dylan standing at the crossroads, contemplating the electric guitar while folk purists cry foul. It's the tension of Luke Skywalker, torn between the pull of the Dark Side and the path of the Jedi.

The real question here isn’t about loyalty, nor is it about the lures of a different shore. It’s about identity. Who is Brodie Grundy in this sprawling epic of his own life?

From the punters perspective,  there's a natural desire to see players as eternal, unchanging fixtures of their favorite teams. But that is reductionist. It’s messy, it’s complicated, and can't be neatly boxed. And it's all sanctioned by the AFL in the public view, because it takes up bandwith...

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No worries. Point taken

Imo I just simply dont see him as a fit for us during the finals series and think it would be a backward step in terms completely putting our forward mix out of shape with his inclusion. 

Grundy won't play on Thursday, not unless Max is injured before then. The weather forcast doesnt look good, no way we are playing both Max and Brody

Not sure Tmac or Schache are good options either 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If Gawn does a knee (again) and we don’t have Grundy on the list who is rucking for Melbourne?

If only there was some mechanism which would enable us to trade for or draft a suitable backup, hey?

Edited by Demonstone
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Deebauched said:

There is definitely two opposing camps on DL. The Keep Grundy Camp  and the Trade Grundy Camp.

I reckon alot of posters simply hate Collingwood so they rip into the Grundy deal.

I'm in the keep camp. If Gawn goes down we are very vulnerable. We have to make it work and turn it into a strength. Rotate them off the bench if need be if they are not working forward. Having 2 gun rucks at you all day would wear the oppo rucks down big time. Hopefully we select Brodie and make our forward line work with Joel as the third tall. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Who’s to say that if we trade Grundy the portion Collingwood pay towards his salary is transferable? That deal is between Melbourne and Collingwood. 

no it's not

it's between grundy and the filth; if he goes to a third club they're still covering around $250k of his salary every year, leaving him to be on about $650k a year at the mfc...or wherever he is in 2024 

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If Gawn does a knee (again) and we don’t have Grundy on the list who is rucking for Melbourne?

I don’t think the club wants to let Grundy go, but understand that he’s in his right to want to play AFL every week. He’s certainly good enough too! 
Question is, how do we make that work with Gawn? Because it hasn’t worked so far. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If Gawn doesn’t do a knee and we do have Grundy on the list - how does Grundy play AFL footy next year?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, samcantstandya said:

I'm in the keep camp. If Gawn goes down we are very vulnerable. We have to make it work and turn it into a strength. Rotate them off the bench if need be if they are not working forward. Having 2 gun rucks at you all day would wear the oppo rucks down big time. Hopefully we select Brodie and make our forward line work with Joel as the third tall. 

How is it that people can't see that both Max and Grundy perform better when they have the no.1 rucking duties for a majority of the game? Ruckmen generally aren't burst players.

Max has elite endurance and can wear down opposition rucks. As we've seen this year, splitting the ruck time actually dilutes Max's impact on the game. People on here were calling for Max to be dropped. It's no coincidence that the team has performed better since Max has gone single handed, especially our forward line.

• Clap 1

5 hours ago, Roost it far said:

If Grundy is so committed then why is he talking to other clubs about moving? 

i imagine his manager advised him, if only to better understand his options.

he's approaching his twilight years and wants to play afl, not vfl.  he's got a guaranteed salary (v. good) for 4 years but wants to give value playing in a senior team. he's allowed to have some pride. i don't think his commitment can be questioned.

• Like 7

It's irrelevant how old Gawn is. Unless he's retiring at season's end, Grundy is gone. He's too good to play back up VFL. Staggering some can't see this.

We'll facilitate a trade and improve our list in another area at the expense of not being able to call on an elite ruckman if Max goes down.

IMV, we've already told Grundy to explore his options, no hard feelings and told him we'll facilitate a trade. 

We're not going to hold him to a contract and make him play VFL for two more years. That's not how you attract other good players, and it's not the best use of TPP.

Think logically here.

• Like 15

22 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

"We need to make Grundy work"

Since when? Just because we made a sales pitch and it didn't work, doesn't mean we owe Grundy [censored].

A club doesn't owe a player anything.. ever. Players come and go but the footy club will always be there. That kind of poor mentality gets you no where.

He could be the greatest bloke in the world for all I care but if Goody sees fit that he isn't in our best 22 for a premiership then I'm taking the coach over supporters who are caught up in romance in sport.

He's not in our best 22 for a reason and I'll back the the premiership coach supports who purely want him in the side because he's a "good bloke."

Grundy has not been in the Best 22, since early in the Season. We have all seen that. But this is September, and I hope The Selectors seriously consider Brodie, in the 23 as a Back up for The Ruck duties. 

Max Gawn will be targeted, Hit hard, repeatedly by opponents. We must be proactive in countering this. I will be very disappointed and angry if Grundy is in the Grandstand whilst Max is copping Physical assault.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Can't you be committed to your currently employer when you are 'at work' and still explore other options? Or is that just possible in the rest of society?

Every human, at some existential point in their life (often accompanied by a moody rainy afternoon and a vinyl record of The Smiths playing in the background...oh thats just me in my 40's), questions their career choices. We're constantly looking for the job that fills our proverbial emptiness. AFL players, with their athletic theatrics and ephemeral stardom, are not immune to this human experience. Their time under the limelight is finite.

The AFL isn’t some omnipotent god, but it does understand these cosmic complexities. They've not only recognised this dance but, in a modern twist, made it kosher. Imagine, if you will, being in a rock band and not being able to discuss joining another band until your current album tour ends. Sounds absurd, right?

Now, the media,  the perennial puppet masters - they love to add a splash of melodrama. But if you, like a keen-eyed detective from a 70s noir film, sift through their hyperbolic tales, you'd see that this AFL-sanctioned tango is less Shakespearean tragedy and more just a reflection of life's mundane realities.

Here's the kicker: The AFL isn't some isolated, mystical realm. It mirrors the very world we all inhabit.

I see most players (in this case Brodie Grundy) as a kind of modern-day Odysseus, tied to the mast of his/her ship. On one side, there's the beckoning call of Port Adelaide and Sydney - new adventures, and perhaps a more enticing narrative for his own footy odyssey. On the other, there's the somewhat calm waters of The Demons, a team perched on the precipice of glory, and not playing a meaningful game day role.

This isn't just a choice; it's a metaphysical conundrum. It's Bob Dylan standing at the crossroads, contemplating the electric guitar while folk purists cry foul. It's the tension of Luke Skywalker, torn between the pull of the Dark Side and the path of the Jedi.

The real question here isn’t about loyalty, nor is it about the lures of a different shore. It’s about identity. Who is Brodie Grundy in this sprawling epic of his own life?

From the punters perspective,  there's a natural desire to see players as eternal, unchanging fixtures of their favorite teams. But that is reductionist. It’s messy, it’s complicated, and can't be neatly boxed. And it's all sanctioned by the AFL in the public view, because it takes up bandwith...

Brodie is both a participant in, and the victim off, the pernicious consequences of the diverse forms of neo-liberalism, the market-economy, and the populism of the meat-market known to us as the AFL. All souls are available to be sailed up the river by shameless, self-righteous and conniving sleaze-bags. If he’s feeling betrayed, I cannot blame him. Yet, we all play a part, consciously or not, in our own betrayal. And on a reported $1.2m per year for seven years, guaranteed, my mercifulness toward him is somewhat circumscribed. As they say in other places, Brodie has what can be termed, “a better class of problem”.

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Love 1