• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 03 vs Essendon

WERRIDEE

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Doubt he plays but this shot was from today's training. You aren't wearing footy boots kicking a footy around if you are not close to playing.

Hopefully hes back playing competitive footy in the next week or 2 at either VFL level or AFL.

926838.jpg

Just looking at Petty's footwear, the word "boots" now seems totally redundant. In any other context, "boots" means large, clod-hopper footwear such as army boots, gumboots or steel-toed builders' boots. What are called "footy boots" today more closely resemble slippers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, binman said:

So, a tough gig for weed. Hopefully he embraces it and it helps him address some of weaknesses, for example inconsistent intensity levels.

This, and the inability to hold onto marks which I'm sure he takes at training with ease are Sam's biggest problems 

It is difficult for everyone to see him struggling particularly now when seemingly he has no injury concerns - the coaches have maintained the faith but I do think this year is his last hurrah at MFC particularly with JVR showing early promise 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DEE fence said:

I am still not convinced re Hunt (not a popular opinion last week but sticking with it). Tmac down back, Brown in to play Tmac's role, Hunt out. Unless Hibbered fit, (I still believe players go well against their former clubs), in which case I would swap Hibbered for Hunt. Tmac is doing alot of role work, he wasn't missing, just didn't get reward for effort. Spargo wasn't bad. Smith improved on the week before, bit worried about his hand injury but his closing speed is a weapon, disrupted several GC attacks with it. Hopefully his disposal continues to improve, I see no reason why not, he is getting better every game.

Dunstan as sub. I think he is more versatile than Bedford.

All of that said, this is a good game to try something new selection wise, I don't think we want to spend all our petrol tickets early in the season and I think some players might be NQR. 

Interesting observations Dee fence 

Re Hunt I also felt he had a game he'd like to forget. Having said that his first attempt to create a springboard attack from half back was stopped by a clear trip from a GC player that was ignored by the umpires - this lead to a GC goal which was not really Hunt's fault. He also seemed to get caught in one on ones vs Casbolt on a couple of occasions which I thought was more of a breakdown in communication in the back six as clearly he was not his direct opponent and had a huge height and weight disadvantage. What he does have is speed which can gain metres quickly and if used well is very dangerous. He also has a good vertical leap which if used properly is very effective in spoiling marks inside 50. Without doubt he needs to try and polish up on his disposal but overall he has some unique weapons which is why he gets selected - at least for now

Spargo - well even Charlie would acknowledge that he has a couple of limitations (speed and long kicking two obvious ones). However he is the classic "natural footballer" - he rarely wastes a disposal and generally when he gets it he is extremely creative and a team mate is the recipient in a better position. Sounds easy but its actually rare to see players that have this ability. He doesn't need to get high possessions to have an impact and while he keeps playing to the coaches instructions and applies forward 50 pressure he stays.

Smith - I've said this before but I feel he has the potential to be a very very good player if he stays fit and gets some consistent game time. Height, leap, speed, strength all in the one package is a pretty compelling offer. He is still a baby in terms of senior games (fewer games than say Petty or Pickett for example) so huge upside still.

Dunstan - I'm still not sure what he really offers to our midfield - one things for sure he's going to have to really earn a senior game as there is no way he replaces CP5, Clarry or Viney. Sparrow/Harmes are perhaps a bit vulnerable but if I was a selector they have done enough to keep their spots at this stage.

Making changes if players are NQR is fine but take the opposition lightly and start experimenting at team selection is very dangerous and likely to backfire if you ask me 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sydee said:

This, and the inability to hold onto marks which I'm sure he takes at training with ease are Sam's biggest problems 

It is difficult for everyone to see him struggling particularly now when seemingly he has no injury concerns - the coaches have maintained the faith but I do think this year is his last hurrah at MFC particularly with JVR showing early promise 

I can't for the life of me understand why Weid doesn't try something like a glove on one hand? Maybe he has but plenty have used them including Mathew Lloyd and Travis Cloke etc

His two grabbing is the biggest problem for mine. His kicking is shot because of confidence most likely but that can turn around reasonably quickly given his reasonable kicking technique 

6 years and he has basically played one decent game. Something wrong here. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Agree on his marking. What's that about? I remember watching him clunk marks at will in a practice match against the pies in his first year.

Happened to be standing next to his dad and had a good chat - summary, the kid can play.

Someone made a good point about his marking that his strength is on rhe lead, but struggles in the one on one wrestle. In hindsight all his marks that day were leading out from full forward, Dunstall style.

Maybe rucking more will help.

On JVR, that's the the first time I have watched him play. Definitely has something about him. Unlike weed, he doesn't seem to mind the one on one battle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

His two grabbing is the biggest problem for mine. 

That's a really good point.

He gets enough chances to mark it doesn't he. And so often nearly does.

I cringe when I hear commentators say something like 'weed contests, but can't quite drag it in'

In some ways it makes it worse for him.

Why not try a glove - good idea. Maybe we can send him a demonland one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sydee said:

Not saying Mitch Brown didn’t have a good game but I think it’s important for those who have watched none of the Casey game to realise the following

- not all his goals were hard earned I’d say the majority were from free kicks or delivered on a plate from a team mate - at least one arguably two from the much maligned Weed

- the quality of the opposition was pretty average so this doesn’t automatically translate to AFL level 

I’m not opposed to him getting a chance at some point and 7 goals, coupled with some good positioning and handy marks warrants attention from the selectors. However, dropping players who demonstrate an ability to do their job is not the way this coaching team goes about selection - it may not be obvious to us but I’d say no change unless somebody has not followed instructions 

TMac is safe for now imo 

Not only that but he will not play as no. 1 forward in the firsts. He will have to have the high work rate and do all the selfless 1%ers that TMAC provides to allow Brown and Fritsch to have their impact 

• Like 3

I don't think he will play this weekend, but one guy I was excited about from VFL footage is Laurie.

He looked really zippy and skillful in the midfield. Could add a nice point of difference in our midfield in future and I think is a watch at this stage.

Howes also looked great and I'm excited to see how he progresses and JVR will be taking over from TMac in now time.

48 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Goody confirmed that Lever and Hibberd will miss again this week.

He did but he also said Lever was ahead of Hibberd and that one of the two would be back in the side next week, which means it's highly likely Lever will be back in the side against Port.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sydee said:

Spargo - well even Charlie would acknowledge that he has a couple of limitations (speed and long kicking two obvious ones). However he is the classic "natural footballer" -

Sure is.  In the Cairns Disaster (from one who was there) Charlies shot on goal was excellent for the conditions - pushed it well to the right and let the gale catch it, which turned it left and straight through the middle.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, binman said:

Which has been fine.

Which is why he keeps being picked.

And will be this week.

Binman, I disagree with you entirely about TMac's form at the end of 2021. He was just not the same player after he came back from the back injury. He missed Rounds 21 & 22 and apart from an OK performance in the Prelim against Geelong he played poorly. He kicked 1 goal out of a Team 19 in the Prelim and 2 out of a Team 21 in the Grand Final. His only meaningful contribution in the GF was the shepherd for Sparrow's Goal in the 3rd Quarter. The game was over in the last quarter when he kicked his goals. Even including the Prelim he totalled 32 possessions and 3 goals in the last 4 matches. So how is that 'fine'?

I think though that you can't combine 2021 & 2022 form. 2021 was probably injury-affected and I assume he is now fully-fit. Having said that, IMV he has been ordinary in attack the last 2 weeks and I assume Melbourne aren't going to move him back into defence unless Rivers doesn't get up for this weeks game. Maybe it's a bit unfair to read too much into the GC form since it looked nearly impossible to hold an overhead mark in the humid conditions. I'd be surprised if Melbourne changed the forward set-up this week given all the fit Melbourne-listed backup forwards played a full-game for Casey on Sunday and would be playing off a 5-day break on Friday night. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind if Max, TMac and Brown didn't compete for the same mark as they often did vs GCS.

Also, Max and Jackson were regularly doing two-handed tap downs instead of marking only for the ball to go straight to a GCS player who spun around and went fwd.  This was often in our def half; a dangerous spot for a turnover.  No idea where our mids were.

Overall not sure the communications were up to scratch last week.

Changing the above by our talls will reduce the turnovers, help us keep control and get more direct shots for goal. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Should a backman re-emerge from injury, then it is time to put Smith in the forward line to surprise most of his detractors as a free-renging forward target. He can kick 'em, too.

Can't see this myself. Once Petty is fit it will be Petty or Tomlinson, not both (assuming Lever is back as well). Gus will be back on the Wing, rather than in defence. If we make a change in attack amongst the small forwards Bedford come in. If we make a change amongst the key forwards JVR comes in (I don't think both Browns wll play in the same side as they are both pure forwards, not the forward/ruck position that TMac, JVW & Wiedeman appear to be playing this year).

On 3/28/2022 at 12:34 PM, Deemania since 56 said:

Should a backman re-emerge from injury, then it is time to put Smith in the forward line to surprise most of his detractors as a free-renging forward target. He can kick 'em, too.

And who would he (Smith) replace up forward ?  McDonald?

23 hours ago, rjay said:

Don't be surprised to see Howes make his debut this week...

Howes debut …. where and for whom? Hunt?

Just remembering Petty’s premature debut set him back a year or more (though Bowey did ok 🙄).  Maybe times and team philosophy have changed. 

Edited by monoccular

27 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I wouldn't mind if Max, TMac and Brown didn't compete for the same mark as they often did vs GCS.

Also, Max and Jackson were regularly doing two-handed tap downs instead of marking only to go straight to a GCS player who spun around and went fwd.  This was often in the GCS fwd of centre space; a dangerous spot for a turnover.  No idea where our mids were.

Overall not sure the communications were up to scratch last week.

Changing the above by our talls will reduce the turnovers, help us keep control and get more direct shots for goal. 

Huh?

41 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

This was often in the GCS fwd of centre space; a dangerous spot for a turnover. 

Last year most of the season we would head for the right forward pocket so the default was OOB and reset.

Perhaps since BB we are going more central

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Last year most of the season we would head for the right forward pocket so the default was OOB and reset.

Perhaps since BB we are going more central

Agreed.  We seemed to centralise the ball in our fwd 50 a lot more in the second half of the year and go much deeper into the fwd 50.

Not sure what was happening with the tap downs in our defensive half last week.  We would usually go for the OOB but against GCS they didn't appear to want that and chose to tap down to a player directly in front.  Maybe they were experimenting.  To me it didn't look effective as it often resulted in a turnover.  Would prefer the OOB option or tap down to our own player...

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Thinking 1

6 hours ago, binman said:

Agree on his marking. What's that about? I remember watching him clunk marks at will in a practice match against the pies in his first year.

Happened to be standing next to his dad and had a good chat - summary, the kid can play.

Someone made a good point about his marking that his strength is on rhe lead, but struggles in the one on one wrestle. In hindsight all his marks that day were leading out from full forward, Dunstall style.

Maybe rucking more will help.

On JVR, that's the the first time I have watched him play. Definitely has something about him. Unlike weed, he doesn't seem to mind the one on one battle.

I saw him kick 6 at Box Hill in his first year: he took some great marks - on leads...

• Sad 1

@Webber would love your feedback on the dreaded and now seemingly increasing numbers of syndesmosis injuries in the AFL.

The last few years it seems like there are ever increasing numbers of it occurring are there any reasons why that might be the case

Players used to wear boots that supported the foot including the ankle.

Nowadays they seem to be wearing what looks like lightweight slippers. These slippers might be mind- help for the slow paced. 

adidas la plata football boots,OFF 58%,welcome to  buy,araguaiashopping.com.br

When I played these were considered the "Elite" boot and choice of champions ( which is why I wore them)

The ADIDAS LA PLATA..... A magnificent football boot made from REAL leather!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1