• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 02 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't get this. How do we know last week wasn't the 50/50 call and the club acted conservatively then?

In his post game presser, Goodwin gave me the impression that Lever was no chance last week and touch and go for this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t Blv ppl want Smith out.

In: Lever, Dunstan

Dunstan could be useful @coalface & with Bradshaw playing down back I think he’s a likely in given GC strengths, but a 50/50 call I’d say.

Out: Salem, Bedford

Sub: Bedford

Spargo is on notice, coach’s fav or not I love what he does, but does Bedford not do the same as well right now? Wont be dropped, just an observation for future reference is his form dips.

I’d loathe it but maybe Sparrow is in the gun. Jordan the wingman looked solid I prefer Sparrow and think he’s a lock but again, worried about him maybe being dropped if he has another quiet one. But still very unlikely!

Rivers could still get up w/Lever or neither may get up.

• Like 1

You'd hope the boys come out with full force and intensity to shock the Suns and put them on the back foot right away - make them feel the difference between playing the Eagles 2nds vs a premiership side

• Like 4

On 3/18/2022 at 4:09 PM, WinterofDiscontent said:

Not a single person has seemed to realise that Kozzie put a lot of time into being a defensive forward on Caleb Daniel. 

When the Dogs beat us in round 19 last year, Daniel had 34 possessions, 128 AFL Fantasy Point and kicked one goal. Even in the Grand Final when the Dogs barely touched the ball for 45 minutes, he ended that game having 37 touches and 126 Fantasy Points. 

On Wednesday night he was kept to 26, and they weren't overly effective - only 89 fantasy points. Anyone that didn't see what Koz was doing and the role his was playing needs to watch the game again. 

I didn't notice Kozzie specifically but I did notice there was definitely an emphasis on marking him up when we were in our defensive structure. I noticed Sparrow sticking pretty close so they they didn't have the inbound kick. 

In terms of changes, I noticed a definite lack of class from the backline after salem went down. A little bit of out there suggestion but maybe Melksham could come in and fill the role? Unfortunately I think Salem is a player we don't really have any backup for and the hardest to replace in our team. 

• Like 1

It might be assumed that Petty, Rivers, Hibberd, Salem & Lever won't be available this week. Selection could be tricky once they all become available!  That could be a good problem to have but in the meantime, others get their chance

If that's the case (5 first choice backmen out), no change other than Salem out (Brayshaw to play at half back) with another midfielder type to come into the team (or as the sub) ... possibly Dunstan with Bedford in the 22

If T-Mac goes back again to cover for Lever, we can go again with Brown & Fritsch as the tall targets (LJ & Gawn periodically as well)

Against the GC on a night that may well bring slippery, dewy conditions, those aforementioned 3/4 tall targets should be enough

As for Spargo, Kozzie & ANB, all 3 players do a fair bit of work off the ball as well as blocking, bumping at crucial moments along with displaying general forward defensive skills ... something that we never really saw leading up to last season

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nudge said:

Rankin is the PERFECT matchup for Smith. May gets Chol.

May might as well try to mark everything because Chol dropped every marking attempt he got his hands on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nudge said:

I’d loathe it but maybe Sparrow is in the gun. Jordan the wingman looked solid I prefer Sparrow and think he’s a lock but again, worried about him maybe being dropped if he has another quiet one. But still very unlikely!

Rivers could still get up w/Lever or neither may get up.

Interesting definition of "a lock"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Deefiant said:

In terms of changes, I noticed a definite lack of class from the backline after salem went down. A little bit of out there suggestion but maybe Melksham could come in and fill the role? Unfortunately I think Salem is a player we don't really have any backup for and the hardest to replace in our team. 

I don't mind the suggestion, so long has he brings more defensive side than when he plays half forward. 

• Like 1

Suggestions of swinging Melksham down back have me a bit puzzled. Has he been training with the backline pre season? I understand he has the size and footskills to fill somewhat of the Salem role but he is pretty slow. Don't mind him coming in as a HF/HB swingman role as depth for the Sparrow's.Harmes' but I would imagine a last resort at this stage as a true backman.

I think best point of action is to play through Bowey more in terms of rebounding out of defence. I was surprised to see he had only the 9 possesions on Friday but he used the ball well with them as he usually does. For mine probably second best kick in the side within 40m.

I think unless one of Rivers, Hibbo or Lever don't get up we'll see Tmac down there again. He's steady, reliable, gives you greater flexibility with how you use May and takes the pressure of a returning Tomlinson.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drdrake said:

I can see one change

Out Salem

In Weiderman

TMac as much as I hate seeing him down back to play there

But surely May, Tommo and Smith can handle Chol and Casbolt?   why do we need T Mac there too?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DubDee said:

But surely May, Tommo and Smith can handle Chol and Casbolt?   why do we need T Mac there too?

For leadership experience and to marshal the troops that Lever usually does ie mids rolling back and the half backs.   May marshals those around him.

• Like 1

Salem Out for 6-8 weeks.  Big loss

Trent Rivers - Knee | Test

Kade Chandler - Abdominal | Test

Michael Hibberd - Calf | Test

Jake Lever - FootTest

Harry Petty - Calf | 3-4 Weeks

Daniel Turner - Foot | 4-6 Weeks

Christian Salem - Knee | 6-8 Week

round-2-injury-report-salem-sidelined-four-dees-a-test

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Jake Lever - FootTest

Not good about Salem but 3 other premiership defenders not far away so reinforcements arent far off....

• Like 1

Looks like lever and rivers are the only possible ins if they get up. With Salem already out that would mean one of Smith or Tomlinson needs to go out. Flip of the coin for me but I feel Tomlinson is still a little underdone so I would probably stick with Smith, getting a consistent back 6 is key if we want to stop runs off goals like Wednesday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Jake Lever - FootTest

How good will it be though to train Bowey or Rivers up on the Salem role. Excellent experience for those boys which may see us be even better come the business end of the year.

#PositiveDemons

Edited by Chook
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chook said:

How good will it be though to train Bower or Rivers up on the Salem role. Excellent experience for those boys which may see us be even better come the business end of the year.

#PositiveDemons

Imagine the panic with this list of outs a year ago.

No more MFCSS!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brendan said:

The forecast is for 28 and 90% chance of rain could be 1of those games where we play with a bar of soap 

21/22 at 8pm start depending on which weather group you use

precip at 8pm on more like 50% and more showers than heavy

but yes REALLY high humidity forecast

of course australian weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable this far out, but i'd be packing the extra long stops and lots of rosin 

• Like 2

Some interesting / bizarre calls in this thread.  Clearly we all see it very differently.

If one of Lever / Rivers is back this week, then it will be Tomlinson that's dropped IMO.  The coaches love Smith and want him in the team - remember he only left the team in the finals due to injury.  His form against the dogs justified his selection.  Tomlinson is outside best 22 atm for mine (but it is a long season) whereas Smith is battling for his position with Hibbo / Petty (depending on the makeup of our back 7 / matchups etc).

Unless there are multiple ins, I think Bedford will get another game.  Can't see them opting for the likes of Dunstan or Weid (even if Tmac plays back again).  Bedford did enough to justify a full game this week.  But given a number of players will be back in the short term, he'll have to play out of his skin to hold his spot.

The player most at risk on form for mine is Harmes - as Gawny wrote in his book, he's a confidence player.  Let's hope his last quarter goal has given him a bit.  If Dunstan performs at VFL level I think Harmes will be the one most at risk.

• Like 1