• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 02 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

Others have asked, too - is there any Casey match this weekend?

7 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Others have asked, too - is there any Casey match this weekend?

Don't have a definitive answer, been trying to find out as well, but there's nothing on the Casey socials about practice games etc yet and round 1 is next Sunday for us, so I'm going to guess there might be a praccy or intraclub tomorrow.

Anyone know for sure?

Edit - Scratch that, looks like there was a praccy on Thursday night.

BDkaqDP.png

Edited by Lord Nev

11 hours ago, monoccular said:

binman - great summation.  Standard stats don't tell the true story.  Kozzie's pressure off the ball is vital - as it was in his "quiet" GF.  Oppositions are scared of him, leading to fumbles and turnovers.  Goals are the icing on the cake.

Agree a million percent. His off the ball work is immense. He constantly creates space in the forward line with bumps on defenders which gives our forwards an extra second of time. And you can tell that when a defender gets the ball… they’re looking for where Kozzie/Spargo is. 

• Like 5

On 3/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, WinterofDiscontent said:

Not a single person has seemed to realise that Kozzie put a lot of time into being a defensive forward on Caleb Daniel. 

When the Dogs beat us in round 19 last year, Daniel had 34 possessions, 128 AFL Fantasy Point and kicked one goal. Even in the Grand Final when the Dogs barely touched the ball for 45 minutes, he ended that game having 37 touches and 126 Fantasy Points. 

On Wednesday night he was kept to 26, and they weren't overly effective - only 89 fantasy points. Anyone that didn't see what Koz was doing and the role his was playing needs to watch the game again. 

And just like the grand final he creates space and opportunities for other players. Langdons opening goal is a perfect example of that and it’s really selfless play, especially for a small forward that may only get a handful of opportunities per game. 

Pickett created that space to allow Langdon to kick that goal and post goal you could see Langdon say something in recognition and appreciation.  

Zero impact on the stat sheet but a huge impact. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, MoeSyzlak said:

And just like the grand final he creates space and opportunities for other players. Langdons opening goal is a perfect example of that and it’s really selfless play, especially for a small forward that may only get a handful of opportunities per game. 

Pickett created that space to allow Langdon to kick that goal and post goal you could see Langdon say something in recognition and appreciation.  

Zero impact on the stat sheet but a huge impact. 

That is one of the many things l love about this team which can be summed up as “selfless football” ie the most important thing is we win and it doesn’t much matter who does what as long as the end result is success. 

Kossie is a classic example. He does a lot of his best work off the ball (aka his bump off the ball which led to Trac’s spinning goal from the pocket which set us alight in the grannie). He does this sort of thing all the time as well as his individual brilliance as a goal sneak. No-one at melbourne questions his importance to team success, even though individual commentators often don’t understand his value (hello David King and that light-weight Kane Cornes). Goodie knows his value..

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dees2014 said:

That is one of the many things l love about this team which can be summed up as “selfless football” ie the most important thing is we win and it doesn’t much matter who does what as long as the end result is success. 

Kossie is a classic example. He does a lot of his best work off the ball (aka his bump off the ball which led to Trac’s spinning goal from the pocket which set us alight in the grannie)..

Agreed, as was his shepherd in the 1st 1/4 last week that freed Langdon some space to kick that first goal.

Important cog in the team ethos.  And he's selfless like the rest.

Edited by Demon17
spelling mistakes
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, binman said:

Exactly. Well almost.

I think Smith is playing- and will continue to - play Petty’s role. Until petty is back.

If Lever comes back Tomlinson will be out.

When petty is back I'm tipping Smith will take hibberds role.

Smith will never play Salem's role.

But not because he is not a good kick or decision maker.

I think there is a fair dose of confirmation bias when assessing Smith. It seems to be accepted wisdom he us an average kick and decision maker.

But it is not based on fact. He is pretty strong in both of those skills.

And in some ways he is a more reliable kick than may - who has never been able to eradicate his tendency to make some realy bad turnovers by foot when under little pressure.

Why should Smith play Hibbo's role if Hibbo is playing it well like in the 2 big Finals.

Hibbo is tougher more versatile snd has proven over 5 years he can mind a stronger or bigger or quicker/smaller opponents biz.  Dusty Johannissen and others Cameron I  believe. Until he fails in form he should remain as a first selected defender in our team. 

I was very pleased with Smithy's  effort on Wed and he is developing in his skills in football well with more opportunity. We/ most of us have a soft spot after that  practice match vs Adelaide and no one can not wish him success in his AFL journey which will also give his family a great boost.

With  our current elite Coaching panel I can see his development from Last year and Thursday night was a great example of this. Credit to Joel as he maintained  a cool head was decisive and skilful and very unlucky with that free on Weightmann on quarter time.

But let's not get carried away yet with  similarities or statements that his kicking is better than our wonderful Full Back Stephan May. I actually don't think he makes the disposal errors that have  been credited to him. 85/ 90% would be my card on his efficiency. Only Salem and Bowser and Spargo achieve that or more!!

The  greatest thrill  for our Club on Thursday night was the special night for all fans ( Yes I estimate 45/50,000 were there ) closing our triumphant 2021 Flag celebrations. 

Added to that was the confirmation of more of the same ( with all forward line improvement evident that we can now hit the scoreboard in many different and challenging ways for our opposition, plus the team strength to maintain our superb  backline defensive expertise under pressure ( after the initial shock of Salem and our lack of Centre bounce influence till the last 10 mins of the second quarter). Shades of Term3 in the Grannie without a bang bang bang! 

I am not sure but can't remember if we have ever been so well off in personnel or options in depth many of whom are just starting their exciting AFL careers with the the team ethos, selfless teammates and elite environment yo succeed, 1950/60's is that last time I suspect. 

We don't know how lucky we are really watching players of a generation like Gawny Clarry Trac Maysie Lever Lingers Viney Fritta and future stars already effecting games such as Dogga Kossie Riv Bowser and others. 

Never please take  this for granted as many years of frustration has now been replaced by special times that only evolve with a Special Group like our 2021 heroes and their resolve for the future success. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Kossie is a classic example. He does a lot of his best work off the ball (aka his bump off the ball which led to Trac’s spinning goal from the pocket which set us alight in the grannie). He does this sort of thing all the time as well as his individual brilliance as a goal sneak. No-one at melbourne questions his importance to team success, even though individual commentators often don’t understand his value (hello David King and that light-weight Kane Cornes). Goodie knows his value..

Small forwards are, by nature, inconsistent. They are opportunistic players and sometimes they get no opportunities to impact the scoreboard. 
This is what makes Spargo and Kosi such good small forwards. Because whether they are kicking goals or not, they are impacting the scoreboard with their pressure off the ball or their kicking skills going inside 50. 
They don’t need to hit the scoreboard themselves to help the team, which means they are never liabilities, even if they have low stats. This is an incredibly rare trait for small forwards. 
Compare Kosi to Weightman. Both had identical stats. 5 disposals and 1 goal. But I know who I’m taking. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:00 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

Underwhelming in what? Are we talking about his pre season in general, or practise game? Reports was he was close to BOG in the Carlton VFL game and was a bit of a ball magnet.

He was also named emergency Wednesday which puts him right in the selection frame. 

My guess is that It would have been a toss of a coin for the sub between him and Bedford.

I think you are totally correct, in ALL aspects.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 8:41 AM, Billy said:

Disagree, didn’t see too much of that elite pressure tonight & 5 possessions is not good enough, thought Bedford was better & got involved in the game.

He’s not in drop territory but he is definitely not his offensively impactful self. Last couple of games have been less than average. His defensive efforts are probably what’s keeping him in the team for now and Goody won’t easily drop anyone that contributes on that front. However with Bedford and Chandler waiting in the wings, Kozzy would want to lift sooner rather than later.

Edited by CYB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

I watched some of the Eagles v Suns game yesterday. 

They are quick, but probably no more than us which surprised me. It seemed (haven't seen stats) that there were very few contested marks, and considering it could be humid it will mean a lot of ground ball play. So:

• I am a fan of Weid and hope to see him soon, but no way does he play this weekend
  • We will definitely miss Salem. With him out, Kozzie, Spargo, Bowey, Hunt will be vital at ground level.
  • We can't go in too tall.
  • Midfield battle will be a beauty
  • Fritsch might tear this lot apart. I can't see who they have to cover his leading.
  • Like 1

Salem will be a loss.

However, Brayshaw filled the role of playmaker/rebound defender exceptionally well.  I prefer Gus on the wing but if JJ can hold down that role then Gus will be a very good replacement for Salem, sans the silk.  

While I don't put a lot of store on stats, Gus was our 4th best player and he kept Liberatore quiet when he played forward not that Libba showed a lot of interest.  With Salem out the Bulldogs underestimated Brayshaw. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we give Lever another weeks rest and keep TMc down back then bring in Weideman to play fwd. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Laurie play so hope he gets an opportunity soon as the med sub perhaps. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

I think the defenders we currently have available will actually match up well on GC.

Smith will be a good matchup on Chol, Tomlinson will probably take Casboult, Hunt to Lukosius and I would play May on Rankine.

Rankine is definitely the one forward they have who can go nuts, and we know May can definitely play mid size. It will also allow May to play as a third man up.

I doubt very much we risk Lever unless he is 110% right to go. 

• Like 4

We should respect GC like we should respect all of our opponents this year.

Rowell looked good last night, Miller is an A-grade midfielder, Rankine's just put up 4 goals from 23 possessions, and they have Witts back in the ruck after struggling to fill that position in 2021.

Of course, they did just play West Coast's seconds, so that has to be taken into account. And we match up against GC well, we've won our last 9 against them.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I think the defenders we currently have available will actually match up well on GC.

Smith will be a good matchup on Chol, Tomlinson will probably take Casboult, Hunt to Lukosius and I would play May on Rankine.

Rankine is definitely the one forward they have who can go nuts, and we know May can definitely play mid size. It will also allow May to play as a third man up.

I doubt very much we risk Lever unless he is 110% right to go. 

Jaded, sure you don't mean Hunt on Rankine and May on Lukosius?  Big mismatch otherwise.  Hunt has the speed to match Rankine and May has the height and strength to match Lukosius.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Jaded, sure you don't mean Hunt on Rankine and May on Lukosius?  Big mismatch otherwise.  Hunt has the speed to match Rankine and May has the height and strength to match Lukosius.

Sorry yes I meant Hunt on Rankine and May on Lukosius. He’s very dangerous. He can’t kick set shots to save himself but he’s a very good player in space. 

• Like 2

I don't expect anyone to return from the injury list as it's too early in the season to be making 50/50 calls.

In - Bedford (elevated from sub)

Out - Salem

Chandler to be this week's sub.

There will probably be a few around here that will measure this week's success on how much percentage we can gain against GC. However, I'll be ecstatic just to get the 4 points. 

GC are a proven dangerous side in March/April/May up at Metricon and do not resemble the rabble that we faced at Marvel late last year.

We also haven't lost to them since 2014, so their time is due to beat us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I don't expect anyone to return from the injury list as it's too early in the season to be making 50/50 calls.

In - Bedford (elevated from sub)

Out - Salem

Chandler to be this week's sub.

There will probably be a few around here that will measure this week's success on how much percentage we can gain against GC. However, I'll be ecstatic just to get the 4 points. 

GC are a proven dangerous side in March/April/May up at Metricon and do not resemble the rabble that we faced at Marvel late last year.

We also haven't lost to them since 2014, so their time is due to beat us.

I don't get this. How do we know last week wasn't the 50/50 call and the club acted conservatively then?

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see if Lever or Rivers get up for this game, or if they will give them another week.

I saw Rivers is training with the main group today, albeit with his knee heavily strapped.

Would rather they ensure they are both cherry ripe before playing them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

Will be interesting to see if Lever or Rivers get up for this game, or if they will give them another week.

I saw Rivers is training with the main group today, albeit with his knee heavily strapped.

I don't want either of these playing until they are absolutely 100%

Saying that it would be great to see both in for the Essendon game

• Like 3

I’m very glad Gold Coast won last night. Not only does it take pressure off them, it also makes it less likely that we take this game lightly. 
Our record against poorer sides last year was not good. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

We've got good depth in the squad, let's use it. Blokes like Bedford have been chomping at the bit to get a game, time to reward these depth players

• Like 2