CHANGES: Rd 02 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

12 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

No way you would have even dreamed of saying that last week Daz. I hope he gets an injury free run for once.

I was shaky on him definitely even though he was quite good against Carlton and North.

Even when Lever is fit and ready to its looking like it will be Tomlinson that makes way and not Smith. 

• Like 1

Goodwin never makes unnecessary changes. Continuity in the squad was key to our success last year. 

I think we will replace Salem with *hopefully* Lever, and then go in unchanged with Bedford the sub again.

Given Rivers, Hibbo and Petty can't be too far off, they will continue to give Tommo, Hunt and Smith a go to determine which one of them makes way for the other, if at all.

• Like 1

Really difficult to see ho comes and who goes. I reckon they won't take the chance on Lever and Rivers, only 1 week into a long season. Take the long term view.

No way Hunt gets dropped against the speed of the Gold Coast. Not sure how it will look when all the backmen are fit, but it will be an interesting tussle between Hunt, Hibberd, Smith, Rivers, Petty, Tomlinson, and Smith for the 3 positions available. Salem. May and Lever are a lock. 

Kozzie is interesting. Is his pressure enough to hold his spot? I am starting to think no. But again, his closing speed against Gold Coast is essential.

TMac returns to the forward line. We have so many options down back.

Bowey looked really sore but has 10 days to recover. 

I don't understand the lack of love for Jordon. Like Harmes, ANB and Sparrow, he takes a role, holds his spot and stops his opponents from dominating. Goody loves these sort of players and seems to be able to coach them really well to produce their best. He is neither slow nor quick, but attacks a contest like a beast. 

OUT: Salem (inj),

IN: Hibberd

3 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Really difficult to see ho comes and who goes. I reckon they won't take the chance on Lever and Rivers, only 1 week into a long season. Take the long term view.

No way Hunt gets dropped against the speed of the Gold Coast. Not sure how it will look when all the backmen are fit, but it will be an interesting tussle between Hunt, Hibberd, Smith, Rivers, Petty, Tomlinson, and Smith for the 3 positions available. Salem. May and Lever are a lock. 

Kozzie is interesting. Is his pressure enough to hold his spot? I am starting to think no. But again, his closing speed against Gold Coast is essential.

I don't understand the lack of love for Jordon. Like Harmes, ANB and Sparrow, he takes a role, holds his spot and stops his opponents from dominating. Goody loves these sort of players and seems to be able to coach them really well to produce their best. He is neither slow nor quick, but attacks a contest like a beast. 

Do we?

On 3/16/2022 at 10:28 PM, Lord Nev said:

IN: Hibberd (wasn't far off apparently), Lever, Rivers

OUT: Salem (inj), Smith, Bedford

Hunt as sub.

No chance of Smith being dropped, he played his best game and stays in for mine 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I don’t see Hibberd as a walk up start.   Rivers comes in before him 

• Like 1

Intriguing selection questions this week, with Goody generally leaning toward incumbents if the total package is functioning and giving blocks of games to underperforming players to find their rhythm. Then you have the other general widespread policy of first-in first-out when it comes to returning top-liners. 

As has been mentioned, Tommo effectively replaced Lever, so I think that would be the likely swap, with Hibberd coming in for Salem if fit. The other question is regarding the sub - I thought it odd that we went with Bedford last week given that our backline was already stretched a bit thin. I don't think we will push the limits again. 

8 hours ago, Garbo said:

Petty and Lever come back for Salem and Tomlinson, suspect Smith will get a run playing Salems role over the next month.

IMHO Smith can't play the Salem role ... He did really well v Doggins, but his disposal and decision making is not particularly good, unlike Salem who is elite. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winners at last said:

IMHO Smith can't play the Salem role ... He did really well v Doggins, but his disposal and decision making is not particularly good, unlike Salem who is elite. 

Brayshaw plays the Salem distributor role I’d have thought. Jordon to slot in on Brayshaw’s wing. 

Smith seems to be covering a role that is some combination of Hibberd and Petty with Tomlinson doing the other part.

• Like 6

On 3/17/2022 at 9:55 AM, poita said:

In addition to Salem being out, I'd be looking at Bedford and Jordon as possible omissions. I still have no idea what Bedford brings, other than fumbles and dropped chest marks.

Obvoiusly much depends on where Rivers, Lever and Hibberd are at - I would much prefer to see McDonald forward and Brayshaw on his wing, although both did the jobs required of them last night.

Do the likes of Dunstan, Melksham and Weideman get a Casey game this weekend to push their claims? We need players putting pressure on the incumbents at all times.

Not sold on Bedford or Jordon to a lesser degree. Would like to see TMac down back, Smith stay  there and Weed to play TMac's forward role.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, stinga said:

Most of the comments are about the backline but I'd like to see more adjustment in the forward half.

I just think we are too small up there.   Brown did really well when competing against 3 at times but the bulldogs do not have a great defense.   For a lot of the time we have Gawn Dogga or TMac on the bench resting which creates difficulties.

In the forward line we have small/medium at those times with 5 of Fritta, Spargo, Pickett,  Jordan, NB, Bedford and at least one other on baller going through.  I'd rather have Weideman instead of one of the smalls.  Not sure who it is.

It was exacerbated when TMac had to go into defense.

Bedford or Jordon to make way for Weed.

18 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Goodwin never makes unnecessary changes. Continuity in the squad was key to our success last year. 

I think we will replace Salem with *hopefully* Lever, and then go in unchanged with Bedford the sub again.

Given Rivers, Hibbo and Petty can't be too far off, they will continue to give Tommo, Hunt and Smith a go to determine which one of them makes way for the other, if at all.

well said. Totally agree, especially with regards to Tommo, Hunt and Smith. you cannot be a one game player especially after the fact our second strung Defense did a damm good job.  My question to you guys is - I wonder if  Tommy Mc goes CFB next week who will they bring in to fill CHF ?

On 3/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, Deestar9 said:

You absolutely play Pickett unless he is not fit to play. Just as we get excited whenever he gets near the ball conversely the opposition gets extremely worried. His pressure alone is valuable!!

On 3/17/2022 at 9:37 PM, Caligula's cohort said:

Hmm... possibly, pressure is one thing, but you have to get the ball. 

On 3/17/2022 at 10:21 PM, binman said:

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

My opinion is that his job is to apt pressure - real and perceived.

Create contests.

Disrupt.

Trap the ball in the front half. Gut run up and down the ground.

He does all of those things week in  week out.

It might sound funny, given back in the day we measured performance on kicks and goals, but any possessions and goals kozzie are icing on the cake.

So personally I'd pick him.

And on the question what goody will do, it is inconceivable kozzie will be dropped for Bedford this week.

Kozzie will play every game this year barring injury. Critical to our chances of going back to back.

binman - great summation.  Standard stats don't tell the true story.  Kozzie's pressure off the ball is vital - as it was in his "quiet" GF.  Oppositions are scared of him, leading to fumbles and turnovers.  Goals are the icing on the cake.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just re the defence - I admit to not having seen Casey, or training, but is Turner anywhere near filling in Salem's role?  (Just asking)

5 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Just re the defence - I admit to not having seen Casey, or training, but is Turner anywhere near filling in Salem's role?  (Just asking)

Someone above mentioned they saw Disco in a moon boot, so doesn't sound like he's a chance unfortunately. My perception is he's more of an intercept defender rather than a half back/rebounding type.

In saying all that, does anyone know if there's a Casey praccy match this weekend? Probably makes sense to get a feel for that when talking changes.

• Thanks 1

Its difficult without knowing how long  many unfit players are, from being ready to go.

Thank goodness we have options and depth.

Rivers is a big out as is Salem.

Given Lever and Petty were out, our backline held up very well.

May was a rock and Smith proved himself. Bowey just keeps getting better.

Tmac wont be omitted that's all I know.

I dont have  confidence that Lever or Hibberd will be ready or rushed for round 2. However if Lever in it will be Tomlinson out as was round 1 plan. If Hibberd in it will be to cover Salem. If neither ready I suggest Dunstan in to allow Brayshaw back and Jordon/Harmes to cover the wing as required. Bedford to sub again. As has been mentioned Goody much prefers continuity rather than change for changes sake. 

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

Brayshaw plays the Salem distributor role I’d have thought. Jordon to slot in on Brayshaw’s wing. 

Smith seems to be covering a role that is some combination of Hibberd and Petty with Tomlinson doing the other part.

Exactly. Well almost.

I think Smith is playing- and will continue to - play Petty’s role. Until petty is back.

If Lever comes back Tomlinson will be out.

When petty is back I'm tipping Smith will take hibberds role.

Smith will never play Salem's role.

But not because he is not a good kick or decision maker.

I think there is a fair dose of confirmation bias when assessing Smith. It seems to be accepted wisdom he us an average kick and decision maker.

But it is not based on fact. He is pretty strong in both of those skills.

And in some ways he is a more reliable kick than may - who has never been able to eradicate his tendency to make some realy bad turnovers by foot when under little pressure.

7 minutes ago, binman said:

I think there is a fair dose of confirmation bias when assessing Smith. It seems to be accepted wisdom he us an average kick and decision maker.

And in some ways he is a more reliable kick than may - who has never been able to eradicate his tendency to make some realy bad turnovers by foot when under little pressure.

I like Smith, but come on mate. Going a bit far now.

5 clangers (2 direct turnovers) from 11 disposals the other night.

Averaged 2.7 clangers (2.3 turnovers) from his 6.7 disposals last year.

I would rate that as an average kick and decision maker. He's not horrible like some make out, but definitely wouldn't be saying 'pretty strong' in that area, and 100% would not be saying he's a more reliable kick than May.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, binman said:

Exactly. Well almost.

I think Smith is playing- and will continue to - play Petty’s role. Until petty is back.

If Lever comes back Tomlinson will be out.

When petty is back I'm tipping Smith will take hibberds role.

Smith will never play Salem's role.

But not because he is not a good kick or decision maker.

I know you view Smith a bit like you viewed OMac, i.e. much more positively than most.

But there's no way I'd characterise Smith as a good decision-maker or a good kick. We have worse players on both fronts, but he wouldn't rank at the top of the list on either front.

And there's no way I'd put Smith above May on reliability of kicking (which is not to say May doesn't make the turnovers you've mentioned).

Having said all that, it doesn't matter who we try to use to cover for Salem. We don't have an adequate replacement. We could mine the other 17 lists and struggle to find an adequate replacement for Salem.

• Like 3

Salem is a backman but really he’s a midfielder who plays at half back. His ability to cover ground, receive and distribute the ball under pressure by hand as much as foot is a midfielders job as much as a defenders.

Gus has the inside track on that role for a while I’d suggest.

Possibly as the backline settles with Lever and others back we could use Bowey especially with more skilled users like Hibbo or Rivers.

But to dumb it right down we need someone in Salem’s role who will get 20+ touches. It won’t be primarily stopping defenders who don’t find the ball. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I know you view Smith a bit like you viewed OMac, i.e. much more positively than most.

But there's no way I'd characterise Smith as a good decision-maker or a good kick. We have worse players on both fronts, but he wouldn't rank at the top of the list on either front.

And there's no way I'd put Smith above May on reliability of kicking (which is not to say May doesn't make the turnovers you've mentioned).

Having said all that, it doesn't matter who we try to use to cover for Salem. We don't have an adequate replacement. We could mine the other 17 lists and struggle to find an adequate replacement for Salem.

Fair enough

In my defence i did say he was pretty strong in both of those skills. 

And you're right may is a more reliable kick.

I think Smith is improving rapidly in bit kicking skils and decision making - in particular when to zone off and hit a pack 9a very tricky skil to master). So plenty of upside. 

I'm no doubt guilty of a fair dose of confirmation bias with Smith - albeit the opposite to most ie i see positives

I wonder where Laurie is at. In some ways he is maybe a possible Salem replacement given he has been training as half back flanker and has excellent foot skills

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

I like Smith, but come on mate. Going a bit far now.

5 clangers (2 direct turnovers) from 11 disposals the other night.

Averaged 2.7 clangers (2.3 turnovers) from his 6.7 disposals last year.

I would rate that as an average kick and decision maker. He's not horrible like some make out, but definitely wouldn't be saying 'pretty strong' in that area, and 100% would not be saying he's a more reliable kick than May.

Good points, well made

• Like 3