MOMENTUM: A 2021 Grand Final Story

Demonland

We have all commented on the point the game changed.  Few if any picked that stoppage. 

It was not long after Bontempelli's 3rd goal when he was on the bench.  Had he not been on the bench who knows if that stoppage went our way.  He stayed on the bench for two more goals by which time the momentum was with us and we went:  Bang! Bang, Bang, Bang!

All credit to Jack Viney.  Its the little things that make big moments.

As an aside this is more like the doco many DL's were hoping for from the 'Every Heart Beats True' Fox doco the other evening.  The latter was an enjoyable puff piece.  The above 16 minutes gives real insight into how our season changed and what was happening inside the team during the grand final.   And we get to see the best part of the 3rd qtr again!

Very powerful viewing.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 9

Perhaps Maxy being unceremoniously slammed into the turf was the psychological catalyst and the stoppage a minute later was the physical manifestation of such. 

• Like 7

Interesting that Jack was the only player to remonstrate with Daniels for flipping Max over the boundary line.  Again, its the little things that make big moments. 

Anyone else get the feeling that Petracca was about to refer to Daniels as a 'midget' but hesitated long enough to say a '5'6" player' instead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, Lucifers Hero said:

Anyone else get the feeling that Petracca was about to refer to Daniels as a 'midget' but hesitated long enough to say a '5'6" player' instead.

100% he was about to call him a midget, or something similarly disparaging. 😆
That pause before he said 5’6” said it all. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Interesting that Jack was the only player to remonstrate with Daniels for flipping Max over the boundary line.  Again, its the little things that make big moments. 

I look forward to booing him on Wednesday.

• Haha 3

This was brilliant I had tears streaming down my face at the end - what is wrong with me 🤣🤣

By the way does anyone still feel sick watching the second/early 3rd quarter? Seeing those highlights was giving me anxiety even knowing what was coming - what is wrong with me 🤣🤣

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

By the way does anyone still feel sick watching the second/early 3rd quarter? Seeing those highlights was giving me anxiety even knowing what was coming - what is wrong with me 🤣🤣

I think there was a certain degree of over-celebration in Bontempelli's last goal.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Fritta's second goal in the third quarter still sends shivers up my spine!

Watching Live, as Harmesy was running into space about to kick his bullet to Fritsch, my thoughts were

“We are back in this”

When Fritsch landed on his feet and kicked his second 30 seconds later i went feral!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I saw Ted Hopkins reinvigorate Carlton in 1970. 
Until our effort, most exhilarating GF. 
I never forgot the value of 2 goals in a minute from one player. 
All the way through the dark part of Q3, I begged for (and received) my last ever footy wish. 
“Someone please, please kick two goals in a minute”

3 hours ago, Action Jackson said:

The leadership shown by Goody and Gawn at half time is why we won.

Just kept the players calm and got them to re-set and go again, when they could have easily crumbled.

Great point.

I'd add that the team had multiple examples of the direct experience of fighting their way back to draw on. Without that words of motivation from Goody and max are just that - words.

But they knew Max and Goody were right becuase they could draw on their individual and collective experience. Which is why home and away wins like our Brisbane win and of course the round 23 wins, and even the must win games in round 22 and 23 in 2020 that Goody referenced in the fox doco, are so important in terms of winning the ultimate prize. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Gawny threw himself on the ground. There wasn't much to remonstrate about. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

No. Didn't feel it at the time either. Was frustrated but confident we'd wrest it back, like we did in r23. We'd been doing plenty of scoring, just between the wrong sticks.

3 hours ago, mauriesy said:

I think there was a certain degree of over-celebration in Bontempelli's last goal.

They'd thrown everything they had at us and had nothing left. Probably knew we had more in the tank and they had to be leading (and not by just a point or two) at 3/4 time. And by George, they nearly did. They only overlooked one thing: bang bang bang! 

• Like 2

A very enjoyable 16 minutes.  It gave some great behind the scenes footage into what happened at half time, on the bench during the third quarter and then at 3 quarter time ("Take 2 deep breathes" - and they all do!!!").  Loved, loved, loved it.

I get why the Fox doco had to deeply explore the last 57 years, but if you've lived enough of those 57 years like a lot of us have, Momentum contains the stuff we really desperately wanted.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

No. Didn't feel it at the time either. Was frustrated but confident we'd wrest it back, like we did in r23. We'd been doing plenty of scoring, just between the wrong sticks.

They'd thrown everything they had at us and had nothing left. Probably knew we had more in the tank and they had to be leading (and not by just a point or two) at 3/4 time. And by George, they nearly did. They only overlooked one thing: bang bang bang! 

I felt the same in the third, i was much more worried in the second. 

Agree on the second point, except i reckon realistically they need to be 4 plus goals up at three quarter time. They were gassed.

They simply had to kick more than the two goals in the third - they need to get the lead out to 5 goals. That's where they lost it - and conversely that's where we won it - bang, bang, bang notwithstanding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

Gawny threw himself on the ground. There wasn't much to remonstrate about. 

Can’t agree with this. He certainly whacked his head – it was visible for the rest of the game.

As for the doco itself, I agree with the comments above - Brought tears to my eyes. Absolutely fantastic.

IMHO, it is worth looking at Clarrie’s posture when Treloar kicked his first goal in the second quarter. Even from behind, I think you can see how much he really does hate losing.

• Like 2