The Premiership feeling

Wizard of Koz

11 hours ago, DeesFlag2020 said:

I think we are well looked after in that regard. One of the things l have really been impressed by is the way the club and the players have behaved post game. Sure they rightly celebrated hard, but it was by no means over the top, and the club fairly quickly has started to focus on the next assault.

The forensic analysis of what makes a winning AFL organisation (which they so impressively demonstrated in 2121) has been refocused on 2022 and beyond, which makes me very confident this is going to continue well into this decade. 

I do not recall any winning AFL team  in recent times displaying such restraint and good sense. It is great credit to the club at all levels from the playing group to executive management and makes me, for one, very confident this is no “flash in the pan”. Besting Carlton’s and Essendon’s 16 premierships by the end of the decade would be a nice (and realistic) goal as neither of them are going to win one in the next 5-8 years!

May seem like that now but Dons will come and Blues after them.

Both Clubs have had 22 and 27 year droughts for next season which is LONG for both Clubs.

I agree about the 16 snd have my eyes on that but let's get 2 then 3 then the 4 however they come along.

• Thanks 1

I saw the 1950's and we were a great team with the greatest MFC coach of all time who asked for discipline team effort both on field and off field.

True greatness in a team game is winning multiple premiership while you have great players playing their best football, we are the hunted now so we must never lose our team focus or values to become the greatest MFC team of all time.

Only time will tell but provided the list remains healthy we are in for a great ride.

Edited by durango
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, durango said:

I saw the 1950's and we were a great team with the greatest MFC coach of all time who asked for discipline team effort both on field and off field.

True greatness in a team game is winning multiple premiership while you have great players playing their best football, we are the hunted now so we must never lose our team focus or values to become the greatest MFC team of all time.

Only time will tell but provided the list remains healthy we are in for a great ride.

Agree 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DeesFlag2020 said:

I am assuming they will continue to apply the same disciplines and common sense they did post grand final. That is the point l was making - l think, We should all take heart from their behaviour after the GRAND FINAL, and l am assuming that discipline will continue, but we all need to be vigilant.

My comments were about this; Besting Carlton’s and Essendon’s 16 premierships by the end of the decade would be a nice (and realistic) goal as neither of them are going to win one in the next 5-8 years!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dworship said:

My comments were about this; Besting Carlton’s and Essendon’s 16 premierships by the end of the decade would be a nice (and realistic) goal as neither of them are going to win one in the next 5-8 years!

I don't think any team is ever more than 4 years away from winning a Premiership should everything go right for them. It is because everything rarely goes right, that clubs are forced to revisit their strategies, their recruitment and their coaching talent every few years. 

Having said that, if you are a betting person (and I'm not) by all means back the option of neither Essendon and Carlton winning a Premiership in the next 5 years. They are just as likely or unlikely as any other teams, except Melbourne (not said out of loyalty but because we're the current best team in the competition).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Over on bigfooty they're running their annual "who will win a flag next, out of ..." thread, where they list the supposed up and coming clubs. And we're not in the list! Sweet luxury!

For the record, this year's list of "contenders" is Ess, Haw, North, Carl, StK.

I will say and hope North. I want Ess, Haw, Carl and St.K to have multi generational droughts that we, Geel, Fitzroy, Syd, Footscray and *St. Kilda had.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wizard of Koz said:

I will say and hope North. I want Ess, Haw, Carl and St.K to have multi generational droughts that we, Geel, Fitzroy, Syd, Footscray and *St. Kilda had.

This is a long but interesting watch

The Aints have an incredible history of uninterrupted failure 

• Sad 1

On 11/10/2021 at 4:35 PM, Mazer Rackham said:

Over on bigfooty they're running their annual "who will win a flag next, out of ..." thread, where they list the supposed up and coming clubs. And we're not in the list! Sweet luxury!

For the record, this year's list of "contenders" is Ess, Haw, North, Carl, StK.

Perhaps we aren't on the list because we aren't up and coming anymore. We are up on top and they all have to beat us.

• Like 1

I am feeling so good about this premiership feeling that I am re-reading the Red Fox , I skimmed through it when I received it in 2009. It’s a big book and I just concentrated on the 55 - 64 years but having tasted Premiership success I am now enjoying the read, especially since I recently had afternoon tea with Len Smiths daughter Norma (Harmes). Norm and Len were both exceptional sportsmen.💕❤️💙

• Like 3

After 57 years of pain and misery we deserve a bit of happiness and joy. We were a laughing stock for many years with regular wooden spoons "won", humiliating defeats (190 point loss to Fitzroy and 186 point loss to Geelong) and we almost merged in 1996 with Hawthorn.

Now finally....we are 2021 Premiers! At times I never thought it would ever happen in my life time...but it finally did!

I think the next aim is to win a Premiership at the MCG. When you are in a Premiership window you need to make the most of it.

Then let's go all out and overtake Essendon and Carlton with their 16 Premierships.

However, the most important thing is that we NEVER allow a Premiership drought of 57 years to happen ever again!

We are well overdue for sustained success and the more Premierships we see in the future the better!

Time for a new Demons dynasty!

GO DEMONS!!!

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I am feeling so good about this premiership feeling that I am re-reading the Red Fox , I skimmed through it when I received it in 2009. It’s a big book and I just concentrated on the 55 - 64 years but having tasted Premiership success I am now enjoying the read, especially since I recently had afternoon tea with Len Smiths daughter Norma (Harmes). Norm and Len were both exceptional sportsmen.💕❤️💙

Thanks for sharing that. Im really pleased to hear Norma is going well.

I was friends with Wayne.

John and Norma were really good people. Put so much of their time into junior footy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:32 PM, DeeZee said:

The great thing is I’m stressed anymore about footy and will we ever win one or not.

Im ecstatic we’ve won one and can now watch footy with a sense of accomplishment and pride in the knowledge that we’ve reached the pinnacle.

Anything from now on will be icing on the cake.

That was as comprehensive a  finals series from a premier as i can remember. This team should win another 2 flags imo. I'll be very disappointed if we don't win another

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, layzie said:

Honestly, if they didn't win this I was prepared to go the rest of my life without one. 

They did it and I'm so thankful, so so thankful.

I know what you are saying Layzie they have lifted a burden from all of our shoulders and put us back on even terms with all other clubs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tilly18 said:

Thanks for sharing that. Im really pleased to hear Norma is going well.

I was friends with Wayne.

John and Norma were really good people. Put so much of their time into junior footy.

tilly18 Norma is a lovely lady and she took great pride in showing us some of her dads memorabilia along with a lot of awards that John had been presented with.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, dworship said:

Perhaps we aren't on the list because we aren't up and coming anymore. We are up on top and they all have to beat us.

Over the last 4 games including rd23 we took on the next 3 top contenders, held 'em up infront of the AFL world and then ripped their heads off.

They all got the message.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

On 11/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, Supreme_Demon said:

Now finally....we are 2021 Premiers! At times I never thought it would ever happen in my life time...but it finally did!

I think the next aim is to win a Premiership at the MCG. When you are in a Premiership window you need to make the most of it.

Then let's go all out and overtake Essendon and Carlton with their 16 Premierships.

Having waited so long for a 13th Premiership, I had forgotten that we're still high up on the ladder of premierships won. Only Carlton and Essendon (16 each) and Collingwood (15) are ahead of us, with Hawthorn and Richmond level with us in fourth spot with 13. That's pretty rarified air and quite amazing given the 57 year drought. It's the challenge of rising up this ladder to overtake Collingwood and then Carlton and Essendon which should motivate the current team.  

• Like 1

I spent yesterday with a group of Richmond supporting friends.

I wore my premiers hat all day yesterday not a lot was said but I know they were not enjoying it.

Ha ha they are on the downward trip and they know it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Having waited so long for a 13th Premiership, I had forgotten that we're still high up on the ladder of premierships won. Only Carlton and Essendon (16 each) and Collingwood (15) are ahead of us, with Hawthorn and Richmond level with us in fourth spot with 13. That's pretty rarified air and quite amazing given the 57 year drought. It's the challenge of rising up this ladder to overtake Collingwood and then Carlton and Essendon which should motivate the current team.  

Exactly!

Up until 1964 were one of the top teams in regards to Premierships won with our 12. With only Collingwood ahead with 13 and Essendon on 11 (then 12 in 1965). Carlton only had 8 Premierships at the time!

Now being equal with Richmond and Hawthorn in regards to Premierships won and hopefully having a good enough team to win MORE Premierships means we can start to rival Collingwood with their 15 and Essendon and Carlton with their 16.

Here's hoping for a new era of Premiership success at the Melbourne Demons!

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 2