• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

When did the tears start watching the grand final?

Cassiew

I unashamedly sobbed for about 10 minutes after the siren went. I sobbed so much I was hyperventilating. My daughter thought I was in some sort of medical crisis and got me a paper bag to blow into. Through my tears I just tried to explain how happy I was and how I never thought I would see this day. She still looked at me like I wasn't quite right.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

For me early in the last quarter I sat back, smiled (that really contented smile) and felt an inner calm. All was good in the world. Tears welled up, I was happy at a level I had not experienced (not better but different). When everyone was in bed I began to sob with happiness. I am still on the edge. Going to the flag unfurling will get me going again. Thank you Dees!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, jane02 said:

I unashamedly sobbed for about 10 minutes after the siren went. I sobbed so much I was hyperventilating. My daughter thought I was in some sort of medical crisis and got me a paper bag to blow into. Through my tears I just tried to explain how happy I was and how I never thought I would see this day. She still looked at me like I wasn't quite right.

❤️

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just when I thought I was getting my shizen back together I went and watched Nev's retirement address to the group. He has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I will miss shouting "LOOOOOOORD NEVIIIILE" at the top of my lungs and scaring the children around me on L2.......I will probably still scare small children.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

This is a bit of a long story, but bear with me.

I am the most cyclical of Demons supporters, but I knew we’d win the flag this year, and I know exactly when I knew. April 24th. It was the night we beat Richmond.

I was sitting with my 11 year old nephew on his couch in Brisbane. I’d gone up to visit my nephews, and sister in law, as my brother died of cancer last year 4 days before Christmas. He was only 50. Diagnosed in June. Lifelong Dees fan. Was heartbreaking.

After we smashed the Tigers and Jonesy was carried off the ground I noticed my nephew had a little tear in his eye. I asked him if he was ok, and he said he was worried. He said he didn’t want the Demons to win the flag this year, because it seemed cruel that they would win it the next season after his dad died.

That was when I knew. I’ve supported this club for all of my 43 years on earth, and only the Demons could win the flag in such heartbreaking circumstances. I told my dad, whose 73, and his instant reaction was ‘oh [censored]. We’ll win it now’. It just seemed very Melbourne.

During the game I’d held it together until about 6 minutes to go and then it got to me. I was a mess. After the game my Victorian family FaceTimed me - being in regional Vic they were able to be together. When I picked up they sang the song to me. I felt so alone in that moment, as so much of my life as a supporter had been with them. It was so thoughtful of them to call me and do that, as they know how much the Demons mean to me. After we hung up I cried again.

I called my nephews and we had a cry together too. We cried for what we had seen, and for who didn’t see it.

Footy is a funny thing. It allows us to connect across generations in a way that few things do. I’m very lucky to have had the Demons in my life, if for no other reason than they have helped keep me closer to people that matter - week after week, season after season.

I loved Saturday night. I was very happy to feel so emotional. It made me feel alive, and I’ll always be grateful for that.

Some of the similarities I have with you and your experience are a bit eerie.  I'm also 43 and watched the game in Brisbane most of this season (in fact most of the past 17 years).

I've always thought we were around the corner from winning the flag, but this season when we went 6 and 0 and then 8 or 9 or whatever it was and 0 losses, I thought we were definitely onto something this year.  I'd bought a second GFG for my youngest son who's become a mad Demon.  Managed to get down to Melbourne and attend the early season Hawthorn and Geelong wins at the G, which was unreal.

There were many times this season I've thought of the irony of us potentially finally winning the flag the year after my late wife passed away.  She wasn't a MFC supporter (In fact far from it), but numous times I thought how bitter sweet it would be if we finally won the flag and would I be able to enjoy it in the context of my circumstances.  As it's turned out, the season we've had has turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as it's kept my mind off other things and given me at least something to look forward to at the end of each week.  As the year progressed and the chance of potentially being their at the ground gradually disappeared, it was something of a downer, but the sensational way in which we have won has somewhat made up for that (particularly Geelong Rd 23 and again in the PF) and in the end like so many I made the decision that even though I would be able to watch in person or be with my dad in person to watch it (who I was there with in 87, 88 and 2000), that I wasn't going to let that spoil the moment.

I was having some late onset MFCSS panic attacks on Friday night and a bit first thing Saturday morning, because although I felt we had been so good all season that anything could happen on the day.  But at some point, I just thought I wasn't going to let that fear of loosing spoil what could be and began to envisage that feeling of us winning which welled up the tears within me a few times and I refused to let myself think about a potential loss and enjoyed the moment of GF day.

Half way through the third quarter I'd almost started to convince myself that it was looking like a loss and to talk myself onto going about calmly accepting that in a disconnected, almost emotionless way.  Like many, I was too full of adrenaline during the rest of the third quarter and then the last to really start the tears.  I don't think I really started any crying until I got on the phone with my sister, dad and a couple of MFC suporting old school mates after the game, which bought home the reality and enormity of that moment which had escaped us for so long.  Watching Garry Lion interviewing some of the past and present players after the game also bought a bit of a tear to my eye (particularly Alan Jackovic,  Steven May and Gus).  In the end, I don't think I cried much, but was thankfully more overwhelmed by the elation of it all.

Not sure I'd ever be able to top the emotions of that game (then again I said the same thing R23 and then the PF), but a premiership at the G with my son and old man all their together would be a pretty good chance I think.  Maybe then I'd really let loose with the tears.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 6

P.S. has been really good reading over some of the posts in this thread, from others and in particular the more regular DL posters, who I feel like I've shared this journey with over the past 5 or so years since I joined.  I haven't really had time to work my way through much of the post game thread yet, but will probably do so at some stage over the rest of the off-season and imagine that will also be a great read, bringing more enjoyment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, mfcrox said:

Eyes were welling up by 3QT.  Fritsch goal 3min into 4th Quarter saw me absolutely break down crying uncontrollably.  Literally bawling my eyes out.  Mind you, fatigue from a 2 week old first born probably was a slight contributing factor. Haha.

Congrats on your newborn baby!

I wonder what footy team the little one will grow up barracking for. 😉 

Eyes welled up a bit during that last minute of the 3rd... by the time Nibbler kicked his goal in the last had a tear rolling down the cheek... and when the siren blew I sobbed tears of joy that I have never experienced before! Drank a helluva lot before, during and after the game and passed out on the couch around 1am watching the replay on my own after various facetime chats with mates, then woke up hungover as hell at around 6am, put the replay on and cried nearly every time we kicked a goal!! I was an absolute mess!!

• Like 3

Being at the game I found Q3 to be an absolute roller-coaster of emotions. When clarry banged that 3rd goal in 1 minute I welled up for sure. What a performance from the lads

• Like 3

My eye started watering at the Sparrow goal, the second in the Q3 final minute blitzkrieg.
Although there was still plenty of time, I though “I reckon we have got this”! 🥲

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Like many, i have day dreamed the moment where you knew the game was over and when the song played after the final siren. if i was an actor and needed to cry, id just think of these moments 😂

it goes back to when i was a kid when leigh matthews got to the boundary from the box in the 1990 GF and did the fist pump. 

When Fristch kicked the 2nd goal on the 4th, that moment happened for me. i had a meltdown. a lifetime of day dreaming came true.

the rest was a blur. still cant believe it - feels like the world has blended into an alternate reality with my dreams.

• Like 2

Waiting 57 years. 
Most of the second half I was a bit confused, almost disoriented - as in not the Melbourne I know. 
I felt sick in 3rd Q cos we couldn’t shoo the Dogs away. 
Feared it would go down to the wire and Hannan would…

sometimes with the goals, it was like another universe - I was not sure if I was watching an instant replay or it was another goal. 

Watching alone and I think it was ANB goal 42 points, all the text messages started coming in. 

I didn’t believe it until 62 points. Dogga. 
This is Melbourne 

• Like 1

I really thought I'd be a blubbering mess but due to the nature of the game being over so early, I just felt a real sense of relief.

I did shed a tear late in the third when Clarry slotted that goal - I did my best Chunk impression (Cats final 2018) and teared up because it felt like the matchwinner, despite us only being 4 goals up.

• Love 1

I watched the gane with my parents because I couldn't bear to watch alone on this occasion.

In the 3rd quarter when the Dogs were controlling the game the margin was only 2 goals but I could feel the game slowly dying. I was doing that involuntary sobbing breathing you do when you are crying/about to cry. And when Bont snapped that beautiful goal to go 19 I just totally lost it a for a couple of seconds balled my eyes out. My dad who is a Collingwood fan of all people came over to the couch and had his arm round me. He turned out to be the best good luck charm ever, for someone who probably wanted his son to be a Pies fan he was all in for us. I'll never forget it.

I then shed a tear of joy when Fritta kicked the goal to get us 36 points up.

But the place where I shed the most tears was totally unexpected. I was watching the Sunday footy show and once it finished the Sports Sunday opening theme came on where they show all the celebrations from sports teams and individuals. It took me absolutely by surprise when they got to the AFL one and the Richmond triumph was replaced by Max Gawn and Simon Goodwin raising the cup. I completely and totally lost the plot. It all hit home.

• Like 4