Jump to content

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

Clayton Oliver Contract negotiations



Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, BW511 said:

301 Metres Gained over that 35 touches, I think the disposal efficiency is a little misleading when you're averaging less than 10m per touch.

 

 

Brett Moloney led the league in metres gained at one point. I get that it's a stat that can be highly influential and impactful but all stats can be manipulated for or against a specific agenda. I just did it with Boomer above. If his DE is high wouldn't that mean his first touch is leading to a chain and thus more likelihood of controlling the play as a team? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Geez, there are some pretty ordinary takes in this thread. Oliver is an absolute must keep.

Hmmm, Carlton you say?  

35 touches at 80% and 7 clearances and Melbourne supporters still think he had just an average game.  Name one other player on our list who would have these post game stats and not be considered to

2 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Christ supporters are silly. 

Oliver is obviously a special player. Hard, unbelievable at getting his hands on the ball at a contest, evasive, generally a really good kick to advantage. 

But there is absolutely no question that a large number of his handballs are simply not only not damaging, but put his team mate under immediate pressure. It doesn't matter if he goes at 80% efficiency if his handball is straight to a team mate under heat. 

How do supporter not see that? It's part of why there's so much commentary surrounding his use. 

If he gets that out of his game and looks to players like Pendles and the bont as far as releasing to the right team mate, then he could be the best midfielder in the comp. 

Too often Oliver is going at a million miles in his mind and gives a completely unnecessary handball too close to a team mate under pressure. 

I would rather Oliver get caught holding the ball looking for a better option than give it to early to the wrong option. 

He is the kind of player who has the ability to hold onto the pill longer and off-load to a team mate in a better position, preferably one outside the contest. 

Go back and look at how many times our players gave unnecessary handballs to a team mate who was less than a metre from them. It's the fault of the players calling for it as well as the giver. 

Can't do that against the saints. 

I'd have to agree on this. He has had a stellar 100 first games and has possessions through the roof every game. But its what he does with the footy and the decisions that he makes that prevent him from being a genuine A plus footballer.

Would be gutted if he left, but he is replaceable - maybe not on certain traits and strengths but as a 'role' in 'the system'. 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CYB said:

I'd have to agree on this. He has had a stellar 100 first games and has possessions through the roof every game. But its what he does with the footy and the decisions that he makes that prevent him from being a genuine A plus footballer.

Would be gutted if he left, but he is replaceable - maybe not on certain traits and strengths but as a 'role' in 'the system'. 

And right there is the problem with this entire thread. The posters who are pointing out his negatives are basically saying his card has been stamped and he won't get past his limitations. I want to see him try in the next 100 games in Red and Blue. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Christ supporters are silly. 

Oliver is obviously a special player. Hard, unbelievable at getting his hands on the ball at a contest, evasive, generally a really good kick to advantage. 

But there is absolutely no question that a large number of his handballs are simply not only not damaging, but put his team mate under immediate pressure. It doesn't matter if he goes at 80% efficiency if his handball is straight to a team mate under heat. 

How do supporter not see that? It's part of why there's so much commentary surrounding his use. 

If he gets that out of his game and looks to players like Pendles and the bont as far as releasing to the right team mate, then he could be the best midfielder in the comp. 

Too often Oliver is going at a million miles in his mind and gives a completely unnecessary handball too close to a team mate under pressure. 

I would rather Oliver get caught holding the ball looking for a better option than give it to early to the wrong option. 

He is the kind of player who has the ability to hold onto the pill longer and off-load to a team mate in a better position, preferably one outside the contest. 

Go back and look at how many times our players gave unnecessary handballs to a team mate who was less than a metre from them. It's the fault of the players calling for it as well as the giver. 

Can't do that against the saints. 

Gawwd Jimmy did you count the number of times his "Deft"handballs opened up the game and resulted in goals??

Cmon Man, he is  just a "Magic"player!!

  • Like 11
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, CYB said:

I'd have to agree on this. He has had a stellar 100 first games and has possessions through the roof every game. But its what he does with the footy and the decisions that he makes that prevent him from being a genuine A plus footballer.

Would be gutted if he left, but he is replaceable - maybe not on certain traits and strengths but as a 'role' in 'the system'. 

Sorry his first two games have been "STELLAR" IRREPLACEABLE by any measure

850 -900 per season over 5 would seem to be right!!

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Sorry his first two games have been "STELLAR" IRREPLACEABLE by any measure

850 -900 per season over 5 would seem to be right!!

He’s an absolute star.  If he could just get his disposal efficiency up, he’d be equal to Dusty Martin.  

5 year deal. $4mil. $800k a year.  That’s fair.  Anything more is probably stretching the friendship.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say name your price, but if you go too high, just know you may compromise list management decisions in the future and the club's ability to improve.

If he'd sign a long term deal, I'd comfortably give him 10 x $1 mill a year. He's incredibly durable and IMV will have a long future (playing well past 30) in the game.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 8:26 AM, dworship said:

And right there is the problem with this entire thread. The posters who are pointing out his negatives are basically saying his card has been stamped and he won't get past his limitations. I want to see him try in the next 100 games in Red and Blue. 

don't blame others for the players mistakes

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stein9193 said:

don't blame others for the players mistakes

Is it ok to blame you for being ..... sorry struggling here... um don't want to get banned. Really unsure here, is it inappropriate to post something regarding IQ being less than average? Seriously, I don't want to fall into the Scumo trap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, praha said:

Brett Moloney led the league in metres gained at one point. I get that it's a stat that can be highly influential and impactful but all stats can be manipulated for or against a specific agenda. I just did it with Boomer above. If his DE is high wouldn't that mean his first touch is leading to a chain and thus more likelihood of controlling the play as a team? 

 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, CYB said:

I'd have to agree on this. He has had a stellar 100 first games and has possessions through the roof every game. But its what he does with the footy and the decisions that he makes that prevent him from being a genuine A plus footballer.

Would be gutted if he left, but he is replaceable - maybe not on certain traits and strengths but as a 'role' in 'the system'. 

I know it's only 2 games in this year but after those 2 games he has 76 disposals (3rd in the league) and he is 60th in the comp in meters gained (4th for Melbourne), so that is not an unreasonable ratio. He is leading the comp in contested possessions (36 vs next best of 30), and also has the most ground ball gets in the competition (22), two stats which why he has such a high handball top kick ratio and also lower meter gained than some others. 

His disposal efficiency this year is 77.8% and his KE is 74%, so his kicking doesn't seem any worse than handballing.

 

For comparison, Jack Mccrae who has 76 disposals this year has 881 m gained, DE 80% KE 63%, 20 ground ball gets. Oliver's performance is elite, there is no two ways about it.

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor old Clayton...not doing any damage with his possessions say some on here.

The coaches obviously don't agree...he picked up 9 votes for Saturday's game & sits 3rd on the leaderboard, pretty average player I think not.

The best, most consistent pure mid in the game at the moment.

LEADERBOARD

19 Dustin Martin RICH
18 Taylor Walker ADEL
16 Darcy Moore COLL
16 Clayton Oliver MEL

 

Edited by rjay
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Melbourne is one of the listed clubs whose salary cup is tight. So an Essendon or a Hawthorn could knock on his door with a mega-offer. So we have to basically have  high finish to keep him, IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to contract we should give him the length he wants, and the salary that puts him top 3 at the club. Gawn as captain and games no. 1 ruckman, and Petracca as a the explosive forward/mid are both up there.

The next tier down would have May, Lever, Brown, Viney, and maybe Brayshaw (TMac and Brayshaw based when they signed the contract).

Agree with bush demon that it mgiht be a bit tight at the top, so we may not be able to match the big splash to keep him, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is why we've resigned Lever and Gawn now as part of a restructuring of the salary to bump the offer.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, A F said:

I'd say name your price, but if you go too high, just know you may compromise list management decisions in the future and the club's ability to improve.

If he'd sign a long term deal, I'd comfortably give him 10 x $1 mill a year. He's incredibly durable and IMV will have a long future (playing well past 30) in the game.

Usually a voice of reason Adam. 

However, “name your price” is not managing your total player payments and salary cap in a prudent way. It’s a recipe for financial and team management problems. Comfortable with I mill a year over 10 years! Not very prudent when the club is on a financial knife edge and uncertainty over future revenues. Incredibly durable.  This is a guy who has already had a number of shoulder problems requiring surgery. The wear and tear on players bodies is a significant issue. Frankly, it would be very unlikely that the club would get another 10 years out of him. 

I’m an Oliver fan but not at any price. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

what if he wants is to be traded to carlton? 😈

i remain confident he'll stay

So are u suggesting that the machinations and possible rumours might already have played out in a significant Carltank offer!!?? On the table??

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dworship said:

Is it ok to blame you for being ..... sorry struggling here... um don't want to get banned. Really unsure here, is it inappropriate to post something regarding IQ being less than average? Seriously, I don't want to fall into the Scumo trap.

is it the merlot again tonight your dworship?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

His bloody career will be a lot less if he has to carry Carlton and TWSNBN..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

is it the merlot again tonight your dworship?

Nope, that's me trying to be nice .... ok the Missus did surprise me with a bottle while I watched the game for a third time.

Thanks for the question, I do worry about my liver and yes it can get a bit shizen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hemingway said:

Usually a voice of reason Adam. 

However, “name your price” is not managing your total player payments and salary cap in a prudent way. It’s a recipe for financial and team management problems. Comfortable with I mill a year over 10 years! Not very prudent when the club is on a financial knife edge and uncertainty over future revenues. Incredibly durable.  This is a guy who has already had a number of shoulder problems requiring surgery. The wear and tear on players bodies is a significant issue. Frankly, it would be very unlikely that the club would get another 10 years out of him. 

I’m an Oliver fan but not at any price. 

Oliver is a rare 'at any price' player IMO. I don't think he's missed a game since his second season. He has shoulder recos every season, but it doesn't impact on his ball winning ability at all. He's a natural. We'll agree to disagree mate.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bush demon said:

Melbourne is one of the listed clubs whose salary cup is tight. So an Essendon or a Hawthorn could knock on his door with a mega-offer. So we have to basically have  high finish to keep him, IMO.

But he would be playing for Essendon or Hawthorn.

Josh Dunkley must be thanking his lucky stars that a trade with Essendon couldn’t be reached.

Sure, he isn’t getting paid as much now but the extra money that comes from playing with a successful team will more than make up for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...