Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Clayton Oliver Contract negotiations



Recommended Posts

Looks like Josh Kelly's possible move south could work in our favour if a Hawthorn is looking to spend up. With clubs tight on salary cap this could work in our favour. With WCE Tigers Footscfay and Geelong seemingly having a lock on top positions why would a player like Clayton even consider leaving the red and the blue:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/8-million-man-or-homeward-bound-gws-star-josh-kelly-s-unique-choice-20210330-p57fce.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Geez, there are some pretty ordinary takes in this thread. Oliver is an absolute must keep.

Hmmm, Carlton you say?  

35 touches at 80% and 7 clearances and Melbourne supporters still think he had just an average game.  Name one other player on our list who would have these post game stats and not be considered to

11 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Positive is that not many clubs can afford $1 mill a year in their salary. caps and the ones that can are potentially further from success than us https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/salary-cap-score-the-afl-clubs-that-do-and-don-t-have-room-20210327-p57em2.html

how do we find 1miilion in cap that the question There are going to be a few victims I think.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting re Kelly.   Was not aware he was in such a powerful position.  His value so far this season would have dropped ( not worth a million a season atm.)

Almost 8 million over 8 years is crazy stuff to have written into contract, he could just bend GWS over, take the money and live happily ever after.

My suspicion is that he will want some success for the rest career, and GWS looks to be in some real trouble.

Would he want to go to a North Melbourne/Hawthorn/Essendon for similar $$$$....highly doubtful.

Would he take a fairly drastic paycut while still getting paid handsomely at around 800k to come to a more successful club?

It would be really tempting as i doubt it will come down to pure $ offered.

Be fascinating to watch Kelly throughout the season with his form and whether there are rumblings with his wanting out at any stage.  

GWS have lost so much talent over the years, this might be another year where they lose a heap of good ones.  Getting pretty ugly for them, glad we are not remotely in their position!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would we want Kelly c 2021?   A shadow of his former self. 

And, we would need to part with some very good players to free up enough cap space for him.

Instead use the money to keep Oliver, Salem, Petracca, Kozzie, Jackson etc.

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Why would we want Kelly c 2021?   A shadow of his former self. 

And, we would need to part with some very good players to free up enough cap space for him.

Instead use the money to keep Oliver, Salem, Petracca, Kozzie, Jackson etc.

agree completely LH you have my support

People on here should resist firmly any such suggestion

We have a great list don't need some guy who thinks he is worth $1000000. Leave it to Carlton or the busted Hawks

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, old dee said:

If you were Oliver would you  rather play at the Dees with a solid chance of playing finals and a GF over the life of your contract. Or play with the bottom side who gets beaten 90% of the time for 15% more money? Easy choice for me. 

Someone's hacked old dee's account!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly needs a change of scenery. His best was excellent so the regression must be down to motivational factors

No way he commands $1m or anything close based on current form. You’d only consider bringing him in if you could pick up relatively cheaply.

No idea how we’d work it but if we ended up with Kelly and had to sacrifice Gus I’d consider it. But you would have to be sure that he hasn't settled for the easy life. No passengers allowed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver should sign for 2 years on decent coin up to RFA.  We need to at least play off in the GF over the next 3 years, hopefully win the flag.  He can make up his mind long-term then.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Kelly needs a change of scenery. His best was excellent so the regression must be down to motivational factors

No way he commands $1m or anything close based on current form. You’d only consider bringing him in if you could pick up relatively cheaply.

No idea how we’d work it but if we ended up with Kelly and had to sacrifice Gus I’d consider it. But you would have to be sure that he hasn't settled for the easy life. No passengers allowed.

Kelly for Gus where do I sign?? Not that it's worth spending too much time thinking about as we won't land him but anyone who wouldn't sacrifice Brayshaw to get Kelly in as our silk outside mid are having a laugh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the reality is if we are going to keep Oliver and Petracca we need to free up a lot of cap space or we have a Treloar/Collingwood problem. The problem is we don't have many players with much value to be traded. We should not have signed Viney to such a long contract. We tried to move him on but now he is too expensive and we are stuck with him. I am sure Jackson will not be at the club next year and I would say Brayshaw will be moved on too. That may not be enough. I expect they will try and get rid of a couple of others too. I doubt we need Kelly or any big price tag players, we will be stretched just keeping what we want to have.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Kelly for Gus where do I sign?? Not that it's worth spending too much time thinking about as we won't land him but anyone who wouldn't sacrifice Brayshaw to get Kelly in as our silk outside mid are having a laugh.

Depends which version of Kelly you get. The 2018/2019 version was A grade. Since then he has been quite poor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mental Demons said:

the reality is if we are going to keep Oliver and Petracca we need to free up a lot of cap space or we have a Treloar/Collingwood problem. The problem is we don't have many players with much value to be traded. We should not have signed Viney to such a long contract. We tried to move him on but now he is too expensive and we are stuck with him. I am sure Jackson will not be at the club next year and I would say Brayshaw will be moved on too. That may not be enough. I expect they will try and get rid of a couple of others too. I doubt we need Kelly or any big price tag players, we will be stretched just keeping what we want to have.

 

haha why would Jackson sign until end of 2022 and then want out after 2021? 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

haha why would Jackson sign until end of 2022 and then want out after 2021? 

It is not a matter of what he wants or why would we sign him. The answer is simple. If he walked unsigned we would get nothing for him. I just had a look at the contracts and cap, It will be hard to keep Petracca and Oliver and pay them what they are worth, unless we free up some room in the cap. We don't have many players with much value to others. Jackson is one and I suspect he will head west. Brayshaw has some value and we can't afford (or properly use) him and Viney. Either way we will be moving players on at years' end to afford the future we want.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we have to trade LJ to afford to keep our key midfielders we are managing our player payments as well (or as bad) as Collingwood

I hope that's not the case

I find it bizarre that a team that has achieved very little cannot afford to keep its playing group intact when other far more successful teams (Richmond, Geelong, Port Adelaide, West Coast) do not appear to be in that position

Are we just dumb ? Are some of our better players just too greedy ? Are our weakest players getting above average payments ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mental Demons said:

It is not a matter of what he wants or why would we sign him. The answer is simple. If he walked unsigned we would get nothing for him. I just had a look at the contracts and cap, It will be hard to keep Petracca and Oliver and pay them what they are worth, unless we free up some room in the cap. We don't have many players with much value to others. Jackson is one and I suspect he will head west. Brayshaw has some value and we can't afford (or properly use) him and Viney. Either way we will be moving players on at years' end to afford the future we want.

Makes no sense at all that we'd draft a young potential star at #3 then immediately trade him....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sisso said:

Makes no sense at all that we'd draft a young potential star at #3 then immediately trade him....

What a lot of the blind faith fans on here don't seem to realize that, as suggested by Sydee, successful clubs  need to be well organised business wise. Loyalty has little value and can be a trap if not managed well (Viney, Treloar etc). That is why you see many clubs trading proven players with value. Paying the ones you really want to keep is the trick.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Bring Kelly in for $750-800 and take Hibberd, Melksham, VB, Brayshaw off the list. He’ll count his lucky stars playing for the Premiership favourites. 

10 bucks says he goes to Geelong....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

Are you sure or just guessing?

Mental Demons is well named.

Dont  pay any attention To him he hates Jacko And wants him out if the side snd traded at  the end of the year.

Total rubbish his posts.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Interesting re Kelly.   Was not aware he was in such a powerful position.  His value so far this season would have dropped ( not worth a million a season atm.)

Almost 8 million over 8 years is crazy stuff to have written into contract, he could just bend GWS over, take the money and live happily ever after.

My suspicion is that he will want some success for the rest career, and GWS looks to be in some real trouble.

Would he want to go to a North Melbourne/Hawthorn/Essendon for similar $$$$....highly doubtful.

Would he take a fairly drastic paycut while still getting paid handsomely at around 800k to come to a more successful club?

It would be really tempting as i doubt it will come down to pure $ offered.

Be fascinating to watch Kelly throughout the season with his form and whether there are rumblings with his wanting out at any stage.  

GWS have lost so much talent over the years, this might be another year where they lose a heap of good ones.  Getting pretty ugly for them, glad we are not remotely in their position!

Clubs can pay $1mill average over 5 years by back ending a contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE EYE OF THE STORM by Whispering Jack

    When Melbourne monstered Richmond a few weeks back on the MCG thereby registering their sixth win on the trot, the block of games to follow looked highly appealing. After a stirring victory in difficult conditions over the reigning premier, the games to come were against a quartet of low achievers from 2020. North were winless, the Swans were the early high flyers now falling into a slump, Carlton couldn’t take a trick and the Crows had just lost an unloseable game to the Hawks in Launceston. Ev

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...