Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Clayton Oliver Contract negotiations



Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

The players you have listed, all four would struggle to complete Oliver’s stats in one game.

we cannot let him walk out the door, he has a norm smith written all over him! (If we ever bloody get there....)

Oliver's stats are not winning us games of football, despite what everyone thinks.

See above example

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Geez, there are some pretty ordinary takes in this thread. Oliver is an absolute must keep.

Hmmm, Carlton you say?  

35 touches at 80% and 7 clearances and Melbourne supporters still think he had just an average game.  Name one other player on our list who would have these post game stats and not be considered to

1 hour ago, BW511 said:

Happy to disagree, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy him as a player.

I think if he were to walk we have others that could cover him (Viney, Sparrow, Gus, Harmes etc) and the currency we would get in return would net us the equivalent player in a position which would better balance our side. If he's as good and irreplaceable as many believe, then we could get almost anyone in the league in - think about that side of the equation

 

Who would we get in return?

Talent in the AFL is stretched more than ever, we wouldn’t get close to a top 20 AFL player in return for Oliver as no one is willing to trade them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver doesn’t value add to the mountain of possession he earns. Works very hard but his dinky hand passes are more often too cute. Taps to advantage are of more value than some of the 1 metre hand passes he favours. His kicking is nothing praiseworthy either. Sometimes I get the impression he just plays for his own satisfaction and not for the team. I’d like to see a Jack Riewoldt attitude metamorphosis to his game. 

Edited by america de cali
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Who would we get in return?

Talent in the AFL is stretched more than ever, we wouldn’t get close to a top 20 AFL player in return for Oliver as no one is willing to trade them.

Or perhaps he isn't worth that?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BW511 said:

How do people feel about Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn?

He wins a mountain of footy but doesn't do any great damage from a game sense.

mitchell almost singlehandedly dragged hawthorn back from 40 points down to win by a 1 point with an absolutely blitz second half as a ball-winning midfielder

he was CRAZY dominant and is integral to the hawks in the same way that oliver is for us

pert on 3aw sounded very confident, very comfortable with how negotiations are proceeding with oliver's contract; i'm hoping it gets done sooner rather than later but i'm reasonably confident it will happen

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, whatwhat say what said:

mitchell almost singlehandedly dragged hawthorn back from 40 points down to win by a 1 point with an absolutely blitz second half as a ball-winning midfielder

he was CRAZY dominant and is integral to the hawks in the same way that oliver is for us

pert on 3aw sounded very confident, very comfortable with how negotiations are proceeding with oliver's contract; i'm hoping it gets done sooner rather than later but i'm reasonably confident it will happen

Pert sounded similarly confident about getting 50k to the G on Saturday. Kingy and Whately  just questioned whether Pert has his finger close enough to the pulse. I’d be lying if I said I completely disagreed with them...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BW511 said:

Oliver's stats are not winning us games of football, despite what everyone thinks.

See above example

Oliver is helping us win games, do yourself a favour, go to a game live and just watch him work his craft, he takes the best tagged each week which allows our other midfielders some freedom.  You do not let 23 year old AA walk out of the club for some draft picks, you add talent around Oliver.

 

it’s concerning how much you overrate this bloke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Oliver doesn’t value add to the mountain of possession he earns. Works very hard but his dinky hand passes are more often too cute. Taps to advantage are of more value than some of the 1 metre hand passes he favours. His kicking is nothing praiseworthy either. Sometimes I get the impression he just plays for his own satisfaction and not for the team. I’d like to see a Jack Riewoldt attitude metamorphosis to his game. 

I think comments like this show how Oliver gets  marked harder than almost anyone else.  Yes he does some dinky handballs but he also does many that get chains of possessions going and us moving forward.  On the weekend he did a number of kicks thatset us up that if they were done by Jordon or Sparrow people would be raving.

Where he (and the rest of the centre square players) need to improve is getting the balance right of knowing when to kick, when to handball and when to break the tackle.  I think they are committed to not winning the clearance if it just results in a kick that is intercepted which is a positive change - but if we turn it over in the middle then we've lost that territory that could have been gained - even if it was a kick along the ground which means the opposition are unable to mark it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Jackson 6 said:

Pert sounded similarly confident about getting 50k to the G on Saturday. Kingy and Whately  just questioned whether Pert has his finger close enough to the pulse. I’d be lying if I said I completely disagreed with them...

eh? pert said on multiple pre-game interviews on 3aw and sen that he was hoping for 23k or thereabouts, which would be right in the standard spot for attendance vs freo, but that given no walk-ups were allowed we'd probably be missing 3-4,000 who fall in that criteria

i wish people would actually listen to what was being said by the club and not simply make stuff up

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

Oliver is helping us win games, do yourself a favour, go to a game live and just watch him work his craft, he takes the best tagged each week which allows our other midfielders some freedom.  You do not let 23 year old AA walk out of the club for some draft picks, you add talent around Oliver.

 

it’s concerning how much you overrate this bloke.

I'm not saying he isn't a great player, but he isn't the most important player in our team.

Earlier in the thread I listed players I thought had a direct impact on our result, I'll do it again;

This is exactly the point, he’s a very even contributor and gets plenty of attention, but from an opposition point of view he would not be the one they want to stop. I think it would currently be Trac, Gawn, May and/or Lever then Oliver. He was rated our 5th best yesterday in the match report, so even they thought a lot of his 35 touches weren’t great or important.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I'm not saying he isn't a great player, but he isn't the most important player in our team.

Earlier in the thread I listed players I thought had a direct impact on our result, I'll do it again;

This is exactly the point, he’s a very even contributor and gets plenty of attention, but from an opposition point of view he would not be the one they want to stop. I think it would currently be Trac, Gawn, May and/or Lever then Oliver. He was rated our 5th best yesterday in the match report, so even they thought a lot of his 35 touches weren’t great or important.

I get where you’re coming from, my big concern is we’re a middle of the run team currently with quality depth issues in our squad, taking a top 5 player out of our team currently is a major concern, I have zero faith in the organisation that he would be covered.  After watching Issac Smith on Saturday, he is exactly what we needed, we missed out on him and didn’t have another option.

 

The thing I love about Oliver is he always cracks in, never goes missing and is always available, that’s incredibly hard to replace, especially in a team like ours.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

eh? pert said on multiple pre-game interviews on 3aw and sen that he was hoping for 23k or thereabouts, which would be right in the standard spot for attendance vs freo, but that given no walk-ups were allowed we'd probably be missing 3-4,000 who fall in that criteria

i wish people would actually listen to what was being said by the club and not simply make stuff up

I don’t make stuff up. Pre-game he’d revised his expectations because he knew the ticket sales. The week prior he is on record as saying he forecasted 45-50k. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Jackson 6 said:

I don’t make stuff up. Pre-game he’d revised his expectations because he knew the ticket sales. The week prior he is on record as saying he forecasted 45-50k. 

never heard him ever mention that sort of forecast so until you can show me the quote then i think you are making it up

while the so-called 'demon army' let the club down by not turning up, the only quote i saw he had re crowd figures on sen the week that whateley did the whole MoVe ThE pEpTiDeS tO tHe G narrative:

“We’re expecting a really strong crowd and there’s certainly a high level of excitement about coming to the MCG for the first game and being part of it again.

“There’s a lot to consider before anyone just throws up hypotheticals about moving a game like that.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

never heard him ever mention that sort of forecast so until you can show me the quote then i think you are making it up

while the so-called 'demon army' let the club down by not turning up, the only quote i saw he had re crowd figures on sen the week that whateley did the whole MoVe ThE pEpTiDeS tO tHe G narrative:

“We’re expecting a really strong crowd and there’s certainly a high level of excitement about coming to the MCG for the first game and being part of it again.

“There’s a lot to consider before anyone just throws up hypotheticals about moving a game like that.”

I thought he mentioned 27k on the DL podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Better days ahead said:

I thought he mentioned 27k on the DL podcast

and by the saturday of the game he'd revised it down to 23k expectation

certainly a long way from the 45-50k that is being quoted up thread

anyway, has nothing to do with clayton's contract...which i - like pert! - remain confident will get done

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

SEN played a snippet of an interview with Pert from a week or so earlier today and he said he anticipated a crowd of 45 to 50 thousand. It was in relation to some people wanting the Essendon v Hawthorn game shifted to the MCG and our game being moved to Docklands. He clearly said on the weekend a crowd in the mid twenties, obviously after pre game sales were poor. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trout said:

SEN played a snippet of an interview with Pert from a week or so earlier today and he said he anticipated a crowd of 45 to 50 thousand. It was in relation to some people wanting the Essendon v Hawthorn game shifted to the MCG and our game being moved to Docklands. He clearly said on the weekend a crowd in the mid twenties, obviously after pre game sales were poor. 

That’s where I heard it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MurDoc516 said:

My problem isn't necessarily Oliver leaving it's replacing him.

We all see the issues with our midfield, not short on talent, it's just unbalanced. 

The super unrealistic ideal world is you off load Harmes for early 2nd, late first. Combo picks together and go after a Dunkley, McGrath etc. We should have cap space when you consider Jones/Hibbo/T. Mac/Jetta are closing in on the end and potentially trading a Harmes to cover the budget for both Clarry and another star mid.

Real world scenario is we will probably end up losing Clarry, tying down the lesser inside mids like Brayshaw and Harmes and then going to the draft and getting two kids who probably won't even fill what we need.

what world do you live in that thinks we would get an early 2nd or late first for Harmes. Good grief

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BW511 said:

I'm not saying he isn't a great player, but he isn't the most important player in our team.

Earlier in the thread I listed players I thought had a direct impact on our result, I'll do it again;

This is exactly the point, he’s a very even contributor and gets plenty of attention, but from an opposition point of view he would not be the one they want to stop. I think it would currently be Trac, Gawn, May and/or Lever then Oliver. He was rated our 5th best yesterday in the match report, so even they thought a lot of his 35 touches weren’t great or important.

I'd say he is the most important player. I personally have always questioned the influence of ruckmen. A lot of premiership teams have had no decent ruckman. And petracca has had 1 good season whereas Oliver has had several. he is also a far better clearance player. 

Edited by Dr.D
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

never heard him ever mention that sort of forecast so until you can show me the quote then i think you are making it up

while the so-called 'demon army' let the club down by not turning up, the only quote i saw he had re crowd figures on sen the week that whateley did the whole MoVe ThE pEpTiDeS tO tHe G narrative:

“We’re expecting a really strong crowd and there’s certainly a high level of excitement about coming to the MCG for the first game and being part of it again.

“There’s a lot to consider before anyone just throws up hypotheticals about moving a game like that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/whateley/

‘The Monday Means test with David King 22.03’ -  at the 14 minute mark Gary Pert says; “ we would expect a crowd of 45 to 50 thousand people”. 

  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BW511 said:

Oliver had 25 handballs.

Using this game alone, who was more effective;

Trac - 25 (13 Kicks 11 handballs and 2.1 Goals - Including one that missed everything when he 'played on')

Oliver - 35 (10 Kicks 25 handballs)

Tim Watson is not wrong, even with the high numbers Oliver produced.

How do people feel about Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn?

He wins a mountain of footy but doesn't do any great damage from a game sense.

 

 

Every side need a ball winner like Oliver at the coldface. Oliver does it on the inside and out. Both as important as each other. Look at the difference from the dogs to the freo game he makes in our midfield without Oliver Petracca can't go fwd and kick 2 goals.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Jackson 6 said:

Pert sounded similarly confident about getting 50k to the G on Saturday. Kingy and Whately  just questioned whether Pert has his finger close enough to the pulse. I’d be lying if I said I completely disagreed with them...

Pert suggested we’d get 27k in an interview 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Demon17 said:

He's important , but, he's not a match winner - albeit a great contributor. Once again yesterday he was goaless.

i.e  he's not Dusty, Buddy, Josh Kennedy, Danger, Selwood, Bont, 

But guess who is?  - Petracca.

Christian this year will become the club's talisman and be the difference in making finals.

My man! My 5-nearly-6 yo LOVES Trac. (And Romsey Lever, coz his grandma used to teach him. And Ed Langdon, coz dad loves that Energizer Bunny in long sleeves.)

Trac sells memberships, wins games.

When Petracca gets bullocking, lightning stands still.

-Old Jungle Saying

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...