Trade Targets

Flag Favourites 3019

Not sure of the contractual status of the following players, but here's a list of players I'd go after if money or picks were no object:

- Isaac Cumming

- Brayden Maynard

- Zak Butters 

- Jordan Dawson

I'd also strongly consider Andrew Gaff providing he'd take significantly less than he seemed to want last time.

Cumming, Maynard and Dawson would all complement our current back 7 or 8. Cummimg and Dawson in particular would add some elite kicking too that could enable Rivers to push up the ground.

I doubt we'd ever have the capital to satisfy Port in a trade for Butters, so this is fanciful, but I think our forwardline could do with another match winner with x factor. I'd love Toby Greene instead, but that's even less likely to happen. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

more interested in what that means for their other uncontracted players and pre-contracted players, not to mention the likes of (current captain) steve coniglio

tom green has reportedly been tapped up by the tigers, coming out of contract at the end of this season, while another of their academy selections jacob hopper will also no doubt be in high demand

also, jake riccardi remains out of contract at the end of this season

in terms of pre-contracted players (i.e. those out of contract at the end of 2022), i'd definitely be interested in having chats with  tim taranto, isaac cumming, tanner bruhn, and harry perryman

Oh, I'd be all over Tom Green if that were a possibility. Could almost be as good as Clarry in time.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, A F said:

I doubt we'd ever have the capital to satisfy Port in a trade for Butters, so this is fanciful, but I think our forwardline could do with another match winner with x factor. I'd love Toby Greene instead, but that's even less likely to happen. 

Trading into the draft and picking up Josh Rachele a more viable option

https://www.afl.com.au/video/655158/watch-lively-forward-josh-rachele-dazzles-in-u19-games?videoId=655158&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1627280862001

Snapshot: A mercurial forward who has drawn comparisons to GWS star Toby Greene, Rachele has unbelievable smarts, skills, and a keen eye for goal.

Rachele is rightly a standout among his draft class, having taken out the Under 16 Division 1 MVP award for Vic Country in 2019. He quickly went on to represent the Murray Bushrangers, averaging a tick under 18 disposals and two goals in four games as a 16-year-old. The exciting forward hails from an elite soccer background and has quick feet to show for it, as well as the smiling celebrations you’d expect on the end of well-finished goals. Rachele is lauded for his skills and smarts in the forward half, but has shown an aptitude for midfield work with his turn of speed and ability to find the ball at ground level. He’s capable of highlight-reel moment

• Love 2

1 minute ago, adonski said:

Trading into the draft and picking up Josh Rachele a more viable option

https://www.afl.com.au/video/655158/watch-lively-forward-josh-rachele-dazzles-in-u19-games?videoId=655158&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1627280862001

Snapshot: A mercurial forward who has drawn comparisons to GWS star Toby Greene, Rachele has unbelievable smarts, skills, and a keen eye for goal.

Rachele is rightly a standout among his draft class, having taken out the Under 16 Division 1 MVP award for Vic Country in 2019. He quickly went on to represent the Murray Bushrangers, averaging a tick under 18 disposals and two goals in four games as a 16-year-old. The exciting forward hails from an elite soccer background and has quick feet to show for it, as well as the smiling celebrations you’d expect on the end of well-finished goals. Rachele is lauded for his skills and smarts in the forward half, but has shown an aptitude for midfield work with his turn of speed and ability to find the ball at ground level. He’s capable of highlight-reel moment

Thanks for that mate. The only thing missing is the contested stuff. What's he like in a contest?

But I'll trust Taylor and co. If they think he's a "Melbourne" type player, go hard for him.

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Thanks for that mate. The only thing missing is the contested stuff. What's he like in a contest?

But I'll trust Taylor and co. If they think he's a "Melbourne" type player, go hard for him.

'Easy outside ball' listed as a weakness from a Bigfooty draft watcher...definitely a Melbourne player....

Major strengths: Skills on both sides+vision+kicks to i50 targets+first possession winning at stoppages
Major weaknesses: Struggles finding easy outside ball

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Sadly we have no currency both in terms of picks and cap space. 
Best chance is to bring a free agent in who is chasing success and willing to take a smaller pay for it. 

I reckon we have a bit of both don't we? 2x 2nd round picks & a future 1st round pick to trade. Add in potentially the Weid to that.

Jones, Jetta, Hibberd (?) to retire. Again, potentially Weid to that from a salary cap clearing perspective.

I'm of the belief you can get creative with the cap if you're well run. 

Edited by adonski
  • Like 4

On 8/6/2021 at 2:48 PM, adonski said:

Billings has never kicked more than 23 goals in a season. ANB's career best is 27 for context.

The more I look into Billings, the less convinced I am. The exception of course is if we view him as a pure wingman. But I actually can't really see them moving Gus. 

Bowey and or Rivers could also potentially  be used on a wing were Gus to move inside.

• Like 1

We have 2nd round tied to Brisbane and then 3rd round pick tied to Hawks. 

Probably they end up as pick 35 and 42.  Hardly enticing currency.

If Weid decides to walk, then I think we’d have to get a low 2nd round pick around 21-22 in exchange or package up.  I had high hopes for the Weid but his lack of intensity, mongrel and fumbles are starting to leave me in doubt of his future in the red and blue. 

• Like 2

I have not read the whole of this thread as yet but in my opinion, one player that might be worth putting the work into over the next few seasons is Noah Anderson of the Suns. May be a longer term trade target or free agent but I get the feeling he just might be gettable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CHF said:

I have not read the whole of this thread as yet but in my opinion, one player that might be worth putting the work into over the next few seasons is Noah Anderson of the Suns. May be a longer term trade target or free agent but I get the feeling he just might be gettable. 

Given the Rowell-Anderson bromance, hard to see him leaving. But agree he’d be very handy in red and blue.  Looks like to complete package as a midfielder and at times seems dejected by the Suns lack of consistency.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, WA Demon Boy said:

Would love us to go after Gunston aggressively 

Sounds like there are a bunch of clubs who want to swap for players, so if we can swap for picks that could play very nicely in our favour. 

So if we can move up our picks (as out first pick is pick #30) that would be the best play 

Gunston has a bulging disc in his back.  Hasn't played since May when he injured it in his only game this year.

Now going in for more surgery:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/more-back-surgery-for-gunston-amid-uncertainty-20210810-p58hld.html

Definitely not what we ( or any other club for that matter) would want.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, WA Demon Boy said:

Sounds like there are a bunch of clubs who want to swap for players, so if we can swap for picks that could play very nicely in our favour. 

So if we can move up our picks (as out first pick is pick #30) that would be the best play 

Don't really understand why some on here are so keen on Gunston. Had back surgery in December which didn't work, now he is having more back surgery, there's no guarantee it will fix him if the last lot didn't work. Serious back injuries can be one of the most debilitating injuries you can cop, and especially at the age of 30 next year his movement could be completely cooked which is a large part of his game.

If we brought in Gunston and his body was okay it also means he's kicking one of BB, Tmac, Jackson, or Fritsch out of the team (you couldn't play Gunston with all of them). 

Big no from me, if he gets his body right I think he'd be perfect for Gold Coast as someone coming in who knows how to win and he could be groomed for a coaching role post footy.

• Like 3

Re Gunston, are we getting sucked in by memories of what he was like when Hawthorn were a powerhouse (with elite delivery) compared to what he is now?  Gunston is still a fine player but is he really a recruitment priority we already have Fritsch executing the 3rd forward role very well?

Edited by TRIGON
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't know how bad his back was. 

Alright he's out lol. 

Pretty happy with us just to focus on the draft and try to move up. Players like Rivers, Kozzi, Jackson, Jordon are never that far off developing at rapid speed so if we add some great outside class through the draft and and a mid with speed that would be perfect. 

15 hours ago, CHF said:

There’d be 10 Victorian clubs lining up for his services.

10 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Anderson I believe has the potential to be a star of the competition but just from the games I've seen of him I think he needs to tidy up his ball use to reach an elite level. He seems a bit meat-and-potatoes at the moment who doesn't have a heap of damaging weapons to his game. I remember in his under 18 year he kicked a lot of goals as a midfielder but so far in his career he has kicked 4 goals from 35 games (0 this year) which is something he needs to rediscover. 

I'm not saying he is a dud I just think he's a tad overrated from what I've seen. Something I remember which was interesting is that we didn't have him in our top 5 on our draft board (was Rowell, Jacko, Green, Young, Dev Rob) so if GC wasn't given those draft concessions and we had pick 2 we still probably would've taken Jacko which probably would've caused a lot of outrage at the time.

Just on that too I think I'd rather target Dev Rob than Anderson just because he would come way cheaper, I think he has a similar game and ceiling, I think he'd be more likely to leave because of opportunity (Lions midfield is stacked), and we have some connections with him playing a lot of junior footy with Jacko and Riv.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

I agree. I would still look at him as a possible trade and put in a bit of work to cultivate him and build a relationship. You never know what may unfold in the future and I am sure that the MFC has identified a number of players that they are building relationships with just as we did with Lever and May.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:32 PM, goodwindees said:

All I’ve heard at this stage is that Barrass from WCE to Sydney Swans will get done on compassionate grounds, and I find it very hard to believe, however, I’m hearing that Harmes is not happy with his “role” at the Dees and will entertain trade talks at end of year. 

Strange that Harmes would intiate a trade, him being a lifelong supporter

23 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

He was that highly rated at the time that Paul Roos said if we didn't do the trade with GWS we would have taken Billings over Kelly.

Roos was wrong. That's why you have to have good recruiters - we now have a great team of recruiters

6 hours ago, WA Demon Boy said:

Gunston is way past his best and after missing a year and booked in for more surgery I wouldn’t go near him 

• Like 5