Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Targets

Flag Favourites 3019

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

What he say??

Can't remember the exact words, but along the lines of managers of players at other clubs being in regular contact about interest in coming to the MFC.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WA Demon Boy said:

We need some outside class

I've been banging on about it the last few years 

Would we look at Billings if he was the right price? 

We don't need him to get 25 touches +

Noted goal kicker and just need him to play his role 

Billing's not an outside runner Where is that evidence?    He hardly ever  plays on the ball for Saints. Is a half forward who has underperformed IMO on theAFL stage. 
What memory Bllings leaves is a half forward marking 40m out and missing the goals.
Is Not a Shea Bolton type player who is what we are talking about as an outside runner to give us complete chance of utilising our ruck and inside bulls class and dominance.

Cerra would fit the bill nicely I MO as long as he hits thescoreboard. 
( Probably wouldn't fit him in our salary cap unfortunately)

How bloody good is GWS' ball use by foot? There has to be a player or two that'd be gettable there.

That said, we now have Salem, Rivers and Bowey who are all good by foot off half back and May is a reasonable kick, while Lever and Petty are reliable kicks.

Still, we have no one whose kicking can break the game open, whereas I reckon GWS have 3 or 4.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A F said:

How bloody good is GWS' ball use by foot? There has to be a player or two that'd be gettable there.

That said, we now have Salem, Rivers and Bowey who are all good by foot off half back and May is a reasonable kick, while Lever and Petty are reliable kicks.

Still, we have no one whose kicking can break the game open, whereas I reckon GWS have 3 or 4.

Wish we had a crack at Isaac Cummings last year. I put him in that category or having an elite kick.

• Like 3

Bowey is (supposed) to have Whitfield-esque kicking. He may be the player you're looking for in time. Cal Twomey rates him highly and provided the comparison for what it's worth.

Edited by adonski
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, A F said:

But going back to this...how do we pinch Bruhn?

Can't say i've ever paid much notice to Sam Taylor before. The way he towelled up Hawkins last night was very impressive. If he consistently produces that level performance he should be on our radar to replace May down the track.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, BDA said:

Can't say i've ever paid much notice to Sam Taylor before. The way he towelled up Hawkins last night was very impressive. If he consistently produces that level performance he should be on our radar to replace May down the track.

Agree with the above.

Also, while it's a little bit off topic of this thread, but from what I saw of the game, I thought was that Taylor didn't engauge physically so much with Hawkins and relied more on his ability to read the play and intercept.  Has me thinking that would we perhaps be better playing Lever on Hawkins and May on Ratugolea in a few weeks?

Not that I thought May did badly on Hawkins last time around before he got taken out by his backhander.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agree with the above.

Also, while it's a little bit off topic of this thread, but from what I saw of the game, I thought was that Taylor didn't engauge physically so much with Hawkins and relied more on his ability to read the play and intercept.  Has me thinking that would we perhaps be better playing Lever on Hawkins and May on Ratugolea in a few weeks?

Not that I thought May did badly on Hawkins last time around before he got taken out by his backhander.

What's to say Petty can't do the job? Taylor is same as as Petty and both from the same draft.

There is a lot of similarities between Taylor and Petty. Both good reading the play, and dropping off to intercept forward entries. Petty surprisingly strong one on one also.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

What's to say Petty can't do the job? Taylor is same as as Petty and both from the same draft.

There is a lot of similarities between Taylor and Petty. Both good reading the play, and dropping off to intercept forward entries. Petty surprisingly strong one on one also.

Petty could potentially do the job as well, as could May in the end as all three of our key backs are pretty good readers of the ball and interceptors.  I guess I was thinking that out of the three, Lever is the more likely to play with a bit of physical distance between him and his opponent and not get engaged physically which plays to Hawkins key asset - he's just such a huge powerful man, to the point that he makes May almost seem puny and weak.

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agree with the above.

May would be wasted on Ratugolea 

33 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Bruhn is a Geelong boy.  The most likely way in the future that he leaves GWS and comes back to Vic is to the Cats.  

Will he be invested in the 10 year rebuild?

• Thinking 1

I reflect on trade targets and the draft and it’s amazing how much we underrate our own players and overate other teams players.

Jack Martin in another thread is a perfect example. Some people wanted to pay him $750k by 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone goes Geelong had great gets in Cameron, Smith & Higgins, but they were very interested in Viney who many trash on this site, unfortunately!

Our list management, trading and drafting has been very good to excellent of recent years:

- 1st round trades

-  Lever & May

- 2nd round trades

- Brown, Langdon, Tomlinson, Hibberd & Melksham

-  1st round draft

- Jackson & Pickett

- 2nd rounders

- Fritsch, Spargo, Petty, Jordan, Rivers,

- Bowey looks promising 

The list strategy from 2018 in filling our deficiencies:

- brought in key backs to fill hole (Lever, May) Petty from 2018 prelim

- 2019 brought in wings after 6/6/6 rule highlighted importance  (Langdon, & Tomlinson, even though He went back)

- Small forward with X factor Pickett

- Tall (support for Max) with X factor Jackson

- Big forward in BBB

- Skill & disposal efficiency Spargo, Bowey, Pickett

The more you look at it, the more you can only congratulate the list management and recruitment, a gold medal effort.

Even on improving coaching getting Yze & Choco has been great.

I heard some commentator or journo going Melbourne don’t have premiership star factor, obviously he can’t see the following across the field:

Midfield: Gawn,  Oliver, Trac (add Bont and you have AA midfield)

Backs: May, Lever, Salem(carrying groin hasn’t helped since mid season)

Forward: Fritsch (look at stats for goal kicking # 3 forwards) Pickett ( look at pressure stats and goals)

We are going to go very close this year, fingers crossed, but regardless club has done a great job in building the playing list and coaches plus high performance team

- IF we can find goal kicking solution for next 6-7 matches, we will be exceptionally hard to beat from here on in!

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, D4Life said:

I reflect on trade targets and the draft and it’s amazing how much we underrate our own players and overate other teams players.

Jack Martin in another thread is a perfect example. Some people wanted to pay him $750k by 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone goes Geelong had great gets in Cameron, Smith & Higgins, but they were very interested in Viney who many trash on this site, unfortunately!

Our list management, trading and drafting has been very good to excellent of recent years:

- 1st round trades

-  Lever & May

- 2nd round trades

-  1st round draft

- Jackson & Pickett

- 2nd rounders

- Bowey looks promising 

- 2019 brought in wings after 6/6/6 rule highlighted importance  (Langdon, & Tomlinson, even though He went back)

- Big forward in BBB

The more you look at it, the more you can only congratulate the list management and recruitment, a gold medal effort.

I heard some commentator or journo going Melbourne don’t have premiership star factor, obviously he can’t see the following across the field:

Forward: Fritsch (look at stats for goal kicking # 3 forwards) Pickett ( look at pressure stats and goals)

We are going to go very close this year, fingers crossed, but regardless club has done a great job in building the playing list and coaches plus high performance team

- IF we can find goal kicking solution for next 6-7 matches, we will be exceptionally hard to beat from here on in!

Tomlinson was a FA, not a second rounder, but I agree with the rest. We were also very close to getting Isaac Smith at the end of last year, which would have helped our run and carry, and ball use further.

I completely trust Taylor, Lamb and the wider FD when it comes to our list build. I'm looking forward to seeing who we target for 2022 and if Pert's words on the Demonland podcast were more than merely a sales pitch, it sounds like we might even be able to land a player or two that approaches us via their agent. This is surely a bit of a new position for us to be in. But winning a flag will ensure we get good players wanting to jump on board from other clubs.

I can't see us making any big moves this offseason, but doesn't mean it still can't be productive. I wouldn't mind if they went for a little more mature depth, we've got 5 guys who'll finish the season over 30, and I think only 1 will definately stay (hibbo - maybe daw as backup). While I think our leadership is pretty good and getting better, if we can grab a couple of guys that could play a role in the seniors if required but are generally good role models, I think that would help. Guys like Hamish Hartlett, Tom Lynch (Adel) etc. would come cheap, both in salary and because we could get them as free agents or very late trades.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, D4Life said:

- 1st round trades

-  Lever & May

- 2nd round trades

-  1st round draft

- Jackson & Pickett

- 2nd rounders

- Bowey looks promising 

- Big forward in BBB

Love it. Glass three quarters full outlook.  Lots to like about our future.  JT has done a great job,  as did Mahoney in the trades. 

One key point is that we have been blessed this year with virtually nil injuries aside from Tomlinson.  Makes a huge difference.

I still want more pace and another skilled midfielder.  Imagine a “Josh Kelly” type in with Trac and Clarry.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Love it. Glass three quarters full outlook.  Lots to like about our future.  JT has done a great job,  as did Mahoney in the trades. 

One key point is that we have been blessed this year with virtually nil injuries aside from Tomlinson.  Makes a huge difference.

I still want more pace and another skilled midfielder.  Imagine a “Josh Kelly” type in with Trac and Clarry.  

Wouldn’t mind Polec on a wing. Far better than his current output. This guy can really play. He’s be ideal as a winger if we can land him cheap, and North can foot some of his salary.

Josh Kelly has officially re-signed with the Giants for the next 8 years which has been estimated to be over 1mil per year on average.

Would've been the ideal hard running inside/outside midfielder but we were never in the conversation for him at that price tag.

Perhaps that will tighten the Giants salary cap somewhat and leave some young guns ripe for a trade.

I would love Billings in the side for nothing. He can play but has under performed. Maynard for Weid would be great.

OUR BEST TEAM

B: RIVERS, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, PETTY, BOWEY

C: LANGDON, PETRACCA, BRAYSHAW

HF: NEAL-BULLEN, MCDONALD, PICKETT

F: FRITSCH, B.BROWN, SPARGO

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: HUNT, HARMES, JACKSON, MELKSHAM

SUB: JORDON

CASEY

B: LOCKHART, TURNER, J.SMITH

HB: HIBBERD, TOMLINSON, JETTA

C: DECLASE, JONES, BAKER

HF: VANDENBERG, M.BROWN, CHANDLER

F: BEDFORD, WEIDEMAN, WHITE

FOLL: DAW, JORDON, SPARROW

IC: LAURIE, D.SMITH, HORE, MUNRO

EMERG: ROSMAN, BRADTKE, NEITSCHKE

Not much we need really. Billings to take over Melksham's role and Maynard to take Hibberd's role. Possibly Andrew and Woewodin in the draft we should be sweet.

44 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Josh Kelly has officially re-signed with the Giants for the next 8 years which has been estimated to be over 1mil per year on average.

Would've been the ideal hard running inside/outside midfielder but we were never in the conversation for him at that price tag.

Perhaps that will tighten the Giants salary cap somewhat and leave some young guns ripe for a trade.

I still reckon he's overrated...

Was abysmal in the GF a couple of years back.

Had some mates for sure but he's the one that's supposed to lead from the front and he left it to a kid, Taranto to do all the work.

Also spends a lot of time injured...

Not worth the $'s

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I still reckon he's overrated...

Was abysmal in the GF a couple of years back.

Had some mates for sure but he's the one that's supposed to lead from the front and he left it to a kid, Taranto to do all the work.

Also spends a lot of time injured...

Not worth the $'s

more interested in what that means for their other uncontracted players and pre-contracted players, not to mention the likes of (current captain) steve coniglio

tom green has reportedly been tapped up by the tigers, coming out of contract at the end of this season, while another of their academy selections jacob hopper will also no doubt be in high demand

also, jake riccardi remains out of contract at the end of this season

in terms of pre-contracted players (i.e. those out of contract at the end of 2022), i'd definitely be interested in having chats with  tim taranto, isaac cumming, tanner bruhn, and harry perryman

• Like 4