• Podcast:      

JV7

Brendan McCartney Leaving at Seasons End

Just now, Patches O’houlihan said:

Have heard rumours of Jennings wanting out/ being moved on and Bolten being on the radar, not sure if anyone has heard this?

Just now, Lord Nev said:

Rubbish comment. Read the article. All on good terms and after 5 years, have enough respect to at least not make stuff up.

Pretty clear it's pushed not walked. But that doesn't mean it's a falling out as such. Macca had issues at the Dogs, but as much as anything they didn't win enough games, you don't win games and you move a coach on for the same kind of problems that can be fine if you're winning. Plus failing as a senior coach doesn't have a lot of bearing as an assistant. If it did then people wouldn't be nearly as excited as they seem to be for Bolton or Richardson.

• Like 3

Good to see some change happening, no doubt Macca did implement some good teachings, but the time is right to move on Rooke, Charlie, Rawlings etc.

Fresh outlook and new voices preaching the message is always essential.

Good result 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

Pretty clear it's pushed not walked. But that doesn't mean it's a falling out as such. Macca had issues at the Dogs, but as much as anything they didn't win enough games, you don't win games and you move a coach on for the same kind of problems that can be fine if you're winning. Plus failing as a senior coach doesn't have a lot of bearing as an assistant. If it did then people wouldn't be nearly as excited as they seem to be for Bolton or Richardson.

Didn't say he wasn't "pushed", was talking about the terms he left on. "Pretty clear" it's all good terms between Macca and the club.

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Thanks LN, i heard it today off a mate who has some insiders at Carlton, so thought maybe there was some interest from there. on that notes he also told me the board is pretty set on Teague, but Judd wants Voss, and is concerned about teague being part of a "Failed regime" make of that what you will, just what he told me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chookrat said:

What makes you think McCartney fell out with Melbourne? 

Issues apparently  hence the reshuffle ... no one will ever know &  I’m sure all clubs have it with assistant coaches.. 

Thanks LN, i heard it today off a mate who has some insiders at Carlton, so thought maybe there was some interest from there. on that notes he also told me the board is pretty set on Teague, but Judd wants Voss, and is concerned about teague being part of a "Failed regime" make of that what you will, just what he told me.

Yeah, haven't heard anything solid about Jennings yet, just the early rumour, but have hard Rook is gone.

The issue is with the Viney family and Mahoney, find a scapegoat here and there, time to go to the root of the problem, executing some Joe Blow as a sacrificial lamb, that’s going to help, business as usual, what a laughing stock this club is.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

From watching trainings Macca was an important voice who stressed the fundamentals and had a good relationship with players where he'd boost them up or give them a rev depending on what was needed.

I think the shame here is instead of sticking with a well defined role we moved him around and probably ended up having him in the way.

Whoever we bring in we need to make sure the roles are clearly defined, that everyone is on board with the game plan and that training is well rounded. 

From what it sounds like the “revs” were not enjoyed by our delicate little flower players. I recall a poster was at training and Macca said I’m going to go give these guys a rev up which he did. Not long after the coaching “restructure” occurred with Macca being demoted. I think our season says a fair bit about the players not coaches like Macca.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Not Mine, this Bloke knows more about footy than Jennings, Rooke and Charlie Chaplin combined!!

Bad Bad mistake MFC IMV!

Sorry mate...you couldn't  be further from reality here if you tried. 

21 minutes ago, chookrat said:

What makes you think McCartney fell out with Melbourne? 

He doesn't know, he is just assuming which is a dangerous thing to do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We'll have Richardson, Ratten and Bolton all on our coaching panel by mid October in time to draw in Coniglio as a free agent.

Yep yep yep.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

We'll have Richardson, Ratten and Bolton all on our coaching panel by mid October in time to draw in Coniglio as a free agent.

Yep yep yep.

Not sure about the dynamics of 3 ex- coaches. Would prefer Ratten to any of them but the Saints would be mad not to appoint him.

Some pretty poor comments as usual from the usual parrots.

All the best to Macca and thanks for the hard work.

Did some nice work with harmes and others. 

There aren't always hsopy/fairytale endings in footy

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Apparently Caracella leaving the tigers at seasons end. i wonder if he's on our radar?

Really?

If he’s available I hope we are chasing him

Peptides were super keen this time last year but couldn’t get him over the line and he re-signed with tiggas

Just now, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Really?

If he’s available I hope we are chasing him

Peptides were super keen this time last year but couldn’t get him over the line and he re-signed with tiggas

Yeah, apparently it was reported on AFL 360. i didn't watch it myself so didn't see any further info other than the tigers are aware, and he's leaving at seasons end. 

40 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

From what it sounds like the “revs” were not enjoyed by our delicate little flower players. I recall a poster was at training and Macca said I’m going to go give these guys a rev up which he did. Not long after the coaching “restructure” occurred with Macca being demoted. I think our season says a fair bit about the players not coaches like Macca.

Cards I think you are referring to my training report of the morning before the coaching changes were announced. Macca was clear that the group needed to train harder, how you train is how you play! But he said they were young and would learn what was needed to get to the top. At the time I thought (maybe wrongly) that he was signalling a playing group that was content with last year’s achievements and he was trying give them a message that they had a long way to go. When I later heard he was being moved sideways away from direct player involvement I must say the alarm bells went off! The playershappy to Coast along and worse a coaching group happy with what Macca didn’t like. 

Interesting in light of today’s announcement is that he asked me if I was retired and when I said yes he responded that he wanted 2 more years to get that premiership. I can remember responding, give us 2 flags and he responded he will be happy with one. So that interchange back in June tells me he has been pushed out. If you read  the weasel word corporatespeak in the media release that is obvious.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Yeah, apparently it was reported on AFL 360. i didn't watch it myself so didn't see any further info other than the tigers are aware, and he's leaving at seasons end. 

Would be a massive get for whoever lands him

So highly rated 

8 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Apparently Caracella leaving the tigers at seasons end. i wonder if he's on our radar?

Essendon 

Bank on it

And so it begins.

McCartney has brought a wealth of knowledge to the club, and helped the players and coaches immensely, but the time is right for change. I believe Macca was acting rogue in some match day games and ignoring Goody's instructions as he believed he was the 'older, wiser head'. Hence the move out of the coaches box and onto the interchange bench. If there is a fracture in the coaching group, this will trickle down into the players causing a divide. Hopefully our new assistants will all be onboard with Goody's plan moving forward and bring a united coaching and playing group for 2020 and beyond. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2