Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Whispering_Jack

GAMEDAY: Rd 03 vs Essendon

Recommended Posts

I don’t know if it’s stating the obvious but a poor outing tonight and I will be really really worried for how 2019 is going to play out.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I liked McGuane's assessment and agree it was almost laughable the dominance in the third quarter followed by the ball going up the other end for a goal via a dubious Rohan free kick (dubious because the umps also missed the Hawkins shove in the back on May before he and Hunt collided high on Rohan.

But here's my issue, our forward line is malfunctioning and yet we made just the one minor change to it for tonight (Sparrow out), so Goody and the selectors in part are hoping that playing a lesser opponent that is down on form and on our home ground will help solve the scoring problems of the first two rounds. He's also decided to stick fat with underperforming forwards - something that will be highly credible if they turn things around tonight, but seem ludicrous if they don't.

Hopefully we will turn things around and win easily, but there's also a chance that we will again dominate the midfield and struggle to score, rendering the game a tight, tense low-scoring affair that will be won on the flip of a kick or the mouth-whistling ability of an umpire.  

Of course, Goody and the players may have already made adjustments, but given how reluctant we are to swing players around these days (and practice in their three set groups) I can't really see much of a change.

That means the spotlight will once again be on our four down-on-form forwards. If they succeed tonight it is happy days for Sydney, if they don't, the same hard questions will arise.

Petracca - why hasn't he been sent down to VFL to try and remedy some serious flaws in his game and at the same time dominate at the lower level to restore confidence. This has been a lament of mine for two years no with him. Among his flaws are his high ball drop which causes him to at times, when harassed, misqueue his kick. He also still fails to get back on his mark far enough when he gets a free or takes a mark and on occasions his opponent on the mark touches his low flat pass to a leading opponent. Obviously we'd all love him to find an extra yard of pace, but that may not be possible (genetically) and it's not a death sentence even if it is. Please note that ultimately, Trac is our best chance on our list of providing the Stringer/De Goey type forward and with both Hannan and Joel Smith out, there are precious few options. On paper at this stage, finding another player of this type (eg: Cats and Rohan last year), is now our No.1 recruiting need. 

Weideman - he spent all of last year learning the back-up ruckman craft but his form against Port in this area was abysmal and the Dons have added a third ruck (Zac Clarke) to their set-up for tonight.  His manager pestering for a $700K contract would also be distracting, but more than anything he needs to get back to working again on his agility like he did pre-season last year and it is a surprise to me that Goody has persevered with him this week ahead of going with the Preuss option. 

Neal-Bullen - Almost everyone's most hated player but I have always loved his workrate and believe that you need at least one small forward playing this type of sacrificial role each week on your forward line. Obviously we'd all like it if his disposals were neater like Robbie Gray, but it ain't happening at the moment. He may need time in twos for a confidence boost, especially now that the 6-6-6 has stopped him getting involved by running off the back of the square. 

T-Mac - It's been clear that he's not quite as maniacally fit this year and a turf-toe relapse and shoulder ops obviously hasn't helped, plus he now cops the No.1 tall defender each week. To me, the solution is to give him a week down back and the obvious swap is with Oscar, who Goody seems to have forgotten was a forward for much of his time in the TAC and is a lovely kick and has high endurance running-ability, even if his speed off the mark is now being questioned. Playing Oscar forward for a bit would be an extra part in his evolution as a defender anyway, giving him a close up look at how opponents are blocking and positioning on him. Playing T-Mac down back is not a long-term solution (we all recall that he mixed moments of courage and class with a high clanger kicking rate), but it may get his marking confidence back and give him a refresher in the importance of pressure before he returns to the forward line.

I haven't included Melky in this group, because I've been pretty impressed by how quickly he's come back from his pre-season setbacks and his body-positioning on opponents taller than him is superb. 

Based on the side chosen tonight, I imagine Lockhart and Corey Wagner will also play as small pressure forwards, although I wouldn't be surprised if Goody sends Hunt or Fritter forward at some point.

But to me if our forwards malfunction again, it really is time for Goody to experiment again, just as he did at the start of last season.

And by that I basically mean, removing Weid for a bit and playing Preuss - I don't expect this to be a fail-safe move as I am aware BP is slow, but he does bring a presence and fear factor that Weid can't provide and when on the ball he allows Gawn to spend time up front where he is also a fear-factor presence for opponents. 

With Joel Smith and Hannan out for a while yet, Goody has to decide if he can switch his best Petracca-replacement options  from their current roles. By this I mean whether he is willing to rob Peter to pay Paul and send one our our quality midfield troika - Harmes, Oliver, Brayshaw - forward to play the third/fourth tall role that Trac has failed in. Such a move is not ideal, but in the short-term it may be necessary.

But alas we should win tonight and the mild conditions will help our forwards, so such experimentation by Goody may not be required - at least for another week or two.

 

  • Like 5
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

I don’t know if it’s stating the obvious but a poor outing tonight and I will be really really worried for how 2019 is going to play out.

5 win season if tonight goes South?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

5 win season if tonight goes South?

We should tank for draft picks.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys.. I am upbeat and confident!!

I am also often let down and generally wrong..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Geez their backline, really should be putting some through the sticks...
 
  •  
    HB
  •  
  • 19 Kobe Mutch
  •  
  • 18 Michael Hurley
  •  
  • 42 Adam Saad
  •  
  •  
    FB
  •  
  • 10 Aaron Francis
  •  
  • 29 Patrick Ambrose
  •  
  • 45 Conor McKenna
Edited by The Stigga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Stigga said:
Geez their backline, really should be putting some through the sticks...
 
  •  
    HB
  •  
  • 19 Kobe Mutch
  •  
  • 18 Michael Hurley
  •  
  • 42 Adam Saad
  •  
  •  
    FB
  •  
  • 10 Aaron Francis
  •  
  • 29 Patrick Ambrose
  •  
  • 45 Conor McKenna

Hurley and Francis will cover McDonald and Weideman easily.

The rest of our forward line isn't much chop so they won't be too concerned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Hurley and Francis will cover McDonald and Weideman easily.

The rest of our forward line isn't much chop so they won't be too concerned.

What, that forward line that was the highest scoring team last year?

Should be monstering them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Hurley and Francis will cover McDonald and Weideman easily.

The rest of our forward line isn't much chop so they won't be too concerned.

agree.  but the stage is set up for a mid or small to have a day out  if we are good enough

I'm tipping Milkshake to top score with 5.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elimination Final. (a little earlier than expected) Loser out for the rest of the year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like the early season form of port and geelong shows the importance of the draft. And for no fault of their own, Lever and May haven't contributed anything to the club and we gave up so many early picks to have them here. I hope we learn and use it this season.  on someone with a bit of fricking speed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I feel like the early season form of port and geelong shows the importance of the draft. And for no fault of their own, Lever and May haven't contributed anything to the club and we gave up so many early picks to have them here. I hope we learn and use it this season.  on someone with a bit of fricking speed!

no doubt that two first rounders was overs for Lever as demonstrated by the Hogan trade. The only consolation was that the 2018 pick ended up being a high one given our success.

Anyway.. it's in the past and hopefully we see some sunshine soon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chemical haze that will soon engulf the City should be a good backdrop for the hell we will be in if we lose tonight

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bombers are playing Zac Clarke, Mckernan and Bellchambers. The first two will have to play fwd which Clarke is poor at and Mckernan is OK at.  they will be very tall up fwd with Stringer, if we cannot dominate and get some run from the back half we never will.

Lower the eyes going fwd to Melk, Trac and Hunt and we should smash these cheating morons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Deespicable said:

Yes I liked McGuane's assessment and agree it was almost laughable the dominance in the third quarter followed by the ball going up the other end for a goal via a dubious Rohan free kick (dubious because the umps also missed the Hawkins shove in the back on May before he and Hunt collided high on Rohan.

But here's my issue, our forward line is malfunctioning and yet we made just the one minor change to it for tonight (Sparrow out), so Goody and the selectors in part are hoping that playing a lesser opponent that is down on form and on our home ground will help solve the scoring problems of the first two rounds. He's also decided to stick fat with underperforming forwards - something that will be highly credible if they turn things around tonight, but seem ludicrous if they don't.

Hopefully we will turn things around and win easily, but there's also a chance that we will again dominate the midfield and struggle to score, rendering the game a tight, tense low-scoring affair that will be won on the flip of a kick or the mouth-whistling ability of an umpire.  

Of course, Goody and the players may have already made adjustments, but given how reluctant we are to swing players around these days (and practice in their three set groups) I can't really see much of a change.

That means the spotlight will once again be on our four down-on-form forwards. If they succeed tonight it is happy days for Sydney, if they don't, the same hard questions will arise.

Petracca - why hasn't he been sent down to VFL to try and remedy some serious flaws in his game and at the same time dominate at the lower level to restore confidence. This has been a lament of mine for two years no with him. Among his flaws are his high ball drop which causes him to at times, when harassed, misqueue his kick. He also still fails to get back on his mark far enough when he gets a free or takes a mark and on occasions his opponent on the mark touches his low flat pass to a leading opponent. Obviously we'd all love him to find an extra yard of pace, but that may not be possible (genetically) and it's not a death sentence even if it is. Please note that ultimately, Trac is our best chance on our list of providing the Stringer/De Goey type forward and with both Hannan and Joel Smith out, there are precious few options. On paper at this stage, finding another player of this type (eg: Cats and Rohan last year), is now our No.1 recruiting need. 

Weideman - he spent all of last year learning the back-up ruckman craft but his form against Port in this area was abysmal and the Dons have added a third ruck (Zac Clarke) to their set-up for tonight.  His manager pestering for a $700K contract would also be distracting, but more than anything he needs to get back to working again on his agility like he did pre-season last year and it is a surprise to me that Goody has persevered with him this week ahead of going with the Preuss option. 

Neal-Bullen - Almost everyone's most hated player but I have always loved his workrate and believe that you need at least one small forward playing this type of sacrificial role each week on your forward line. Obviously we'd all like it if his disposals were neater like Robbie Gray, but it ain't happening at the moment. He may need time in twos for a confidence boost, especially now that the 6-6-6 has stopped him getting involved by running off the back of the square. 

T-Mac - It's been clear that he's not quite as maniacally fit this year and a turf-toe relapse and shoulder ops obviously hasn't helped, plus he now cops the No.1 tall defender each week. To me, the solution is to give him a week down back and the obvious swap is with Oscar, who Goody seems to have forgotten was a forward for much of his time in the TAC and is a lovely kick and has high endurance running-ability, even if his speed off the mark is now being questioned. Playing Oscar forward for a bit would be an extra part in his evolution as a defender anyway, giving him a close up look at how opponents are blocking and positioning on him. Playing T-Mac down back is not a long-term solution (we all recall that he mixed moments of courage and class with a high clanger kicking rate), but it may get his marking confidence back and give him a refresher in the importance of pressure before he returns to the forward line.

I haven't included Melky in this group, because I've been pretty impressed by how quickly he's come back from his pre-season setbacks and his body-positioning on opponents taller than him is superb. 

Based on the side chosen tonight, I imagine Lockhart and Corey Wagner will also play as small pressure forwards, although I wouldn't be surprised if Goody sends Hunt or Fritter forward at some point.

But to me if our forwards malfunction again, it really is time for Goody to experiment again, just as he did at the start of last season.

And by that I basically mean, removing Weid for a bit and playing Preuss - I don't expect this to be a fail-safe move as I am aware BP is slow, but he does bring a presence and fear factor that Weid can't provide and when on the ball he allows Gawn to spend time up front where he is also a fear-factor presence for opponents. 

With Joel Smith and Hannan out for a while yet, Goody has to decide if he can switch his best Petracca-replacement options  from their current roles. By this I mean whether he is willing to rob Peter to pay Paul and send one our our quality midfield troika - Harmes, Oliver, Brayshaw - forward to play the third/fourth tall role that Trac has failed in. Such a move is not ideal, but in the short-term it may be necessary.

But alas we should win tonight and the mild conditions will help our forwards, so such experimentation by Goody may not be required - at least for another week or two.

 

great post.....I agree

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DubDee said:

The chemical haze that will soon engulf the City should be a good backdrop for the hell we will be in if we lose tonight

The media has made certain that only one of the teams who take the field tonight will be thought of as cheats. It doesn't take a Mensa intellect to figure out what club will be wearing that label. *Hint, it wont be the peptides.

I am almost certain we will lose tonight. Our selected team looks quite average on paper and we are still a week or 2 away from being AFL fit. Despite what some might say, our pre-season was not just interrupted/delayed by injuries and off season operations, but i think some of our guys got a bit big-headed by making the Prelim last year and have come crashing back to Earth. 

I still think we will win enough games to make the finals, but dont think it will start tonight.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Elimination Final. (a little earlier than expected) Loser out for the rest of the year.

Exactly. I have no idea as to who will win tonite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like some we will lose this again at the selection table. Wagners don’t excite me even though we have slim pickings, Pruess, Garlett and Strecth would have been the best available for tonight, I think the season is just about a rite off more work on the list at seasons end please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll cut the wagners some slack in that they always have a red hot go.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Elimination Final. (a little earlier than expected) Loser out for the rest of the year.

so we lose by 11 goals?

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dl4e said:

I'll cut the wagners some slack in that they always have a red hot go.

This! Can’t believe everyone is so down on their selection. I thought Corey was pretty good round 1 and was unlucky to be dropped. His disposal looks clean which is something we lack and he was hard at it. Josh looks inboard a lot...we can do with more of that too

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Stringer, Myers and Zaharakis are all playing? All 3 under injury clouds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

This should have been such a big game... instead it's a battle of the desperate losers.

When is this cursed club going to have some luck ??

MFCSS in full overdrive

MFCSS is a soothing picket fence for disappointments as these may arise (as a result of being a Dees supporter). There is just a small gap between palings on that fence to allow the sunlight to shine through, making the rhododendrons bloom in brilliant colours - so don't take it away from us, will you? As for OMac, we should regard him as a giant slug, a wastrel in the garden killing the seedlings and emerging flower heads. Proof? Just look at the form and exhaustion of Hibberd and Jetta trying to cover for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...