How about Tippett for Watts as a straight swap?

Dees2014

Just now, Dees2014 said:

Could make sense, if Tippett passes the fitness test!

The pick would be more handy to us to trade for something better than Tippett.

Don't need a 30+ yo that's past it, even if he had it in the first place.

• Like 2

Just now, DubDee said:

run for cover dude

watts IS going - it is simply what we can get for him (listen to Trade Radio if you don’t believe me). They report the MFC have indicated they will accept a second round choice - I think remarkably, but we are where we are. 

I find it remarkable that we say what we will accept before they explore options. At the moment there are at least three clubs looking at Watts (including the Swans - hence the suggestion), yet we say second round is ok..

In my my business career we have always practised you play one off against the other, to maximise the outcome. We are giving everything away...

Another example is delisting Spencer, and we now know a couple of clubs are after him. We need to monetarise these opportunities!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'd rather Pick 14 be a part of the deal somehow.  We can do much more with that than we could do with Tippett.

Exactly.  A draft pick to be on-traded is the most likely outcome in a Watts trade.

Player-for-player direct swap trades are very rarely high profile. They're usually two fringe players the respective clubs reckon they can use (and afford to offload).

pick 20 Geelong to Bulldogs for Stringer

pick 20 Bulldogs to Sydney for Tippett  (both of the tall forwards have been out with persona/mental issues and Carlisle is in a hold patter re a contract).  And their ruck stocks are quite thin.

pick 20 Sydney to Melbourne for Watts.

Pick 20 plus our pick 10 to Adelaide for Lever

(...OR we keep pick 20 to get a very good mid and tell Adelaide they can have 10 and 27 for Lever, take it or leave it).

As a long term fan of Jack's I now feel like Judas :(

Having accepted he is gone then it is important we get the best deal. That is the best I can think of...unless Sydney want to give us a straight swap Zac Jones for Watts...:)...or another of their young fast mids...

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

pick 20 Geelong to Bulldogs for Stringer

pick 20 Bulldogs to Sydney for Tippett  (both of the tall forwards have been out with persona/mental issues and Carlisle is in a hold patter re a contract).  And their ruck stocks are quite thin.

pick 20 Sydney to Melbourne for Watts.

Pick 20 plus our pick 10 to Adelaide for Lever

(...OR we keep pick 20 to get a very good mid and tell Adelaide they can have 10 and 27 for Lever, take it or leave it).

As a long term fan of Jack's I now feel like Judas :(

Having accepted he is gone then it is important we get the best deal. That is the best I can think of...unless Sydney want to give us a straight swap Zac Jones for Watts...:)...or another of their young fast mids...

You seem really determined to see a mega-trade occur ......

• Like 1

Just now, Ouch! said:

You seem really determined to see a mega-trade occur ......

Just playing 'pass the paracel' with pick 20...:cool: and get the Lever deal done quickly...

58 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

watts IS going - it is simply what we can get for him (listen to Trade Radio if you don’t believe me). They report the MFC have indicated they will accept a second round choice - I think remarkably, but we are where we are. 

I find it remarkable that we say what we will accept before they explore options. At the moment there are at least three clubs looking at Watts (including the Swans - hence the suggestion), yet we say second round is ok..

In my my business career we have always practised you play one off against the other, to maximise the outcome. We are giving everything away...

Another example is delisting Spencer, and we now know a couple of clubs are after him. We need to monetarise these opportunities!

Do you fail to understand the way trades work? Clubs can no longer offload players to the highest bidder. Watts will decide where he wants to go, and we'll haggle with that club. The fact that 3 clubs are interested in him doesn't mean that he is a superstar. If we put a 1st round pick on his head, I bet all 3 clubs would lose intersest.

And Spencer is a FA, so why would a club give up something unnecessarily?

Edited by mo64
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

my comment was around Tippett being shyte

I know Watts is going, I'm supportive and I think a 2nd rounder is fair. This club no longer wants to carry players who are not driven to succeed, despite their obvious talent

• Like 1