Jack Trengove, Jake Spencer, Mitch White and Liam Hulett de-listed

Wilson7

Did they both have foot problems? The OX blames their premature elevation to the captaincy by that 2 year disaster at the club known as Neeld. 

Think we all feel for Jack.

Cruelled by injury, stood tall as aa individual and Melbourne person.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I feel terrible about Jack Trengove.

I hope he doesn't hold it against the MFC for what happened in his career, but I don't blame him if he does.

Neeld was correct in one respect when he foolishly appointed him captain....he's an outstanding citizen and a leader of men. But not of a struggling club when he was only 20 yrs old!

What terrible luck to sustain the dreaded navicular injury. How hard he tried to get back!

I can't help feeling it was a bit rough dropping him in 2016 , after the Saints loss. Everyone played badly, but Jack had been really good the week before. This year, he didn't do well when he got his chance, but usually promoted players get more than one chance to show their wares.

He went back to VFL, and played well every week,unlike some regular AFL players, who fail to shine at VFL level.

Gold Coast would be well advised to draft him for his leadership, team spirit, and football skills.

There is   no ex-demon   I'd ever hope to play well against us, except Jack T.

All the very best, Jack,and thanks for the courage and perseverance, which has been an inspiratiion to many people. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

@Skin Deeamond 'Tis always good to acknowledge your own sadness towards situations you have no control over...We are human after all and we care for the potential of things that are lost.

Edited by Danelska
  • Like 1

I concur with most others above.  A very sad day when any AFL listed player is told there's no longer a place for them on the list.  I, too, wish them all the very best for the future.

Especially sad for Trenners.  But, given his character, he will no doubt get on with life, and make a meaningful contribution in whatever his next endeavor will be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wrecked Owl Dees Function said:

You can't expect our Sexagenarian landers to be up on the nuances of free agency.

Better to be a sexagenarian than an oxygenarian, or a nonentity !!!!!!

• Like 1

I am shattered.... The kids are shattered... We knew it was coming but it still sucks!

Take 1 minute and tell me you're not shattered for a career that promised so much but was destroyed by injury...

https://youtu.be/frLxrCOOoDA

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

good break down. I think its interesting to reflect back on players in the past that didnt make the grade. At the time they are often praised and worshiped on this board but when they get delisted theres not a peep from anyone.

why did people think that the following players simply werent up to afl standard:

- Bate

- Morton

- newton

-strauss

- tapscott

- blease

-maric

unbelievable 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr.D said:

good break down. I think its interesting to reflect back on players in the past that didnt make the grade. At the time they are often praised and worshiped on this board but when they get delisted theres not a peep from anyone.

why did people think that the following players simply werent up to afl standard:

- Bate

- Morton

- newton

-strauss

- tapscott

- blease

-maric

Bate played 100 games at AFL level

Tapscott and Strauss cruelled by injury

Morton had heart issues

Others varying reasons

4 hours ago, Wrecked Owl Dees Function said:

You can't expect our Sexagenarian landers to be up on the nuances of free agency.

I was thinking maybe you should change your nickname to

Whale Oil Beef Hooked

Us oldies have probably forgotten more about the nuances of footy than you will be able to comprehend given time

• Love 1

For all those lauding Trenners for his perseverance and commitment to the club, Jake Spencer probably deserves a small mention too, no? Sentiment shouldn't be based solely on talent. The big guy gave ten years to the club and had his career cruelled by injury also, as well as the misfortune to get stuck behind a pair of AA rucks (without seeking better opportunities). Well done Jake, and thanks for your loyal service. And for those criticising Jake for injuring himself this year, while demonstrating his commitment to the contest; seriously? 

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Skuit said:

For all those lauding Trenners for his perseverance and commitment to the club, Jake Spencer probably deserves a small mention too, no? Sentiment shouldn't be based solely on talent. The big guy gave ten years to the club and had his career cruelled by injury also, as well as the misfortune to get stuck behind a pair of AA rucks (without seeking better opportunities). Well done Jake, and thanks for your loyal service. And for those criticising Jake for injuring himself this year, while demonstrating his commitment to the contest; seriously? 

Not sure I agree Skuit with Spencer. Ten years on a list for 30-odd games. Paid probably 3 million bucks for those games. Pretty poor return on equity! 

Thing with Trenners is he seemed to lose pace in his second year. At the time I blamed excessive leg weights which they were all doing under Bailey. Not sure we'll ever know.

• Like 1

Roos tried to trade Trengove. Would have been a steal. We didn't get much out of him after that attempt. Thanking him for his service but ultimately he should have been moved on long ago.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gipsy Danger said:

Would be great if the club could offer him a life membership despit not reaching the hundred game milestone 

+1 IF ever there was an exception to be made it is for Trenners.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Did they both have foot problems? The OX blames their premature elevation to the captaincy by that 2 year disaster at the club known as Neeld. 

Grimes was never the same after he broke his collarbone, he was far too skinny and weak after that point.

It's sad about Trengove because he went through a lot and seems like a genuinely great person, but even without foot the injuries and captaincy I'd doubt he'd be playing regular AFL football, he was always too slow.

• Like 1

Hard to argue with any of those decisions. I am hoping there are another 3-4 to come, hopefully starting with Kennedy, McKenna and Vandenberg. Otherwise we are going to reach the end of next season needing to delist about ten players.

I feel so sorry for Jack Trengove. He was badly treated by the club initially, and then let down by his body, but he never dropped his bundle at any stage. I hope he can look back on his career, particularly coming back from injury to play senior football, with pride and can find happiness playing at a lower level.

Spencer was a major disappointment for me. We've put 10 years of development into him and he should back at the peak of his powers, but he has given nothing in the past 18 months. His inability to put pressure on Gawn in the last month of this season really hurt us. Anyone who thinks he could be an AFL ruckman with the right opportunity is dreaming.

I always thought that a combination of Weideman's football skills and Hulett's attack at the ball would have given us a pretty decent player. Unfortunately we drafted two half baked footballers, instead of going for a player such as Curnow who has both. If you are playing VFL reserves late in your second year, you are clearly in big trouble.

I never saw anything in White, and was gobsmacked that we gave him a third year. He was well short of AFL standard, which was obvious last year. 

• Like 1