Key Positions

Demon3564

This is not a knee jerk to Sunday's game but I've now thought for some time in Hogans absence that our attack is better, more unpredictable without hogan than with him. 

Sure he is great one-out but it's the second efforts, pressure acts and body language that he lacks that lets us down. 

At risk of causing the biggest outrage since we traded woewodin, I think we should be pulling out all stops to recruit Leever, trade hogan and play T-Mac forward permanently with Weid, Pedo and watts on the wing/flank. 

If we don't get Leever I still stand by trading Hogan at season's end provided we re-sign Frost. 

Nope. He is an important part of our future.  Don't write him off after one game back.  He is mobile, has a pretty good tank, clunks contested marks, and can kick a goal from 40 m or pass cleanly inside 50.

I see a really  bright future when Weids builds up (full forward) Hogan (mobile CHF) is in top form.  

I dont want to trade him. I want him back in form, making second efforts and causing havoc.  He might not be your poster boy this year, but he has the upside that he is a definite keeper.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Demon3564 said:

This is not a knee jerk to Sunday's game but I've now thought for some time in Hogans absence that our attack is better, more unpredictable without hogan than with him. 

Sure he is great one-out but it's the second efforts, pressure acts and body language that he lacks that lets us down. 

At risk of causing the biggest outrage since we traded woewodin, I think we should be pulling out all stops to recruit Leever, trade hogan and play T-Mac forward permanently with Weid, Pedo and watts on the wing/flank. 

If we don't get Leever I still stand by trading Hogan at season's end provided we re-sign Frost. 

Yes it is.

And trade Hogan?  Now I've heard it all.

25 minutes ago, Demon3564 said:

189.gif

• Like 6

But mainly, being too predictable with Hogan playing forward is the fault of the midfield for looking for him too often or at the wrong time.

I agree that Hogan's leading patterns or lack thereof when inside 50 need some work but proposing to trade the guy is a going just a whisker too far.

A dragon's whisker too far.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DominatrixTyson said:

I would've thought personal attacks on demonlanders that bob up with an idea (however outlandish), are more the domain of the schoolyard.

No need to get your knickers in a twist because of the Zaharakis thread.

• Like 1

No way. Teams would be terrified of our team kicking it into a forward line containing hogan, watts and McDonald. Hogan will find form and make us a genuine premiership threat before this season is out. 

We might well get lever as well

• Like 1

Playing Hogan in the goal square and bombing the ball onto his head is unfair to him and a waste of his talent. He needs to be playing CHF and roaming about the ground. He has bloody good endurance and his field kicking is also strong. We get more value from him upfield than as a deep forward.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Playing Hogan in the goal square and bombing the ball onto his head is unfair to him and a waste of his talent. He needs to be playing CHF and roaming about the ground. He has bloody good endurance and his field kicking is also strong. We get more value from him upfield than as a deep forward.

And honestly I think McDonald is better at full forward than hogan at this stage anyway. And watts will be a handful for the third tall of any side 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon3564 said:

It's Lever.

And Hogan is a brute, and an excellent forward when provided with appropriate opportunities. I don't think we are seeing his best because no-one can perform with the year he has had.

But the way we play suits him, he will work over his opponent and can lead back with the flight and do 'V' leads where he loses his man with a hard lead back and then a push back at the footy. McDonald does this well too.

I am not worried about our forward line, when up and going we have enough weapons to beat any backline.

27 minutes ago, Abe said:

And honestly I think McDonald is better at full forward than hogan at this stage anyway. And watts will be a handful for the third tall of any side 

Agree Abe. McDonald is a great overhead mark and has long lanky arms, difficult for a backman to spoil.

Hogan is more of a CHF, he has a tank (so does McDonald) and likes to be involved in the thick of the action.

Frost/OMAC, Lever, Gawn & Oliver, Hogan, TMAC. Not a bad spine.

• Like 1

This surely is at least the tenth thread suggesting that Hogan ain't (necessarily, full time) a "FF."

Cant remember which thread it was in but as much as anyone "has a position" these days, Tom starting as FF with Hogan and Watts sharing roaming and rampaging CHF / mid / wing duties, with perhaps one dropping deep, FF if you like, only when Tom takes a turn in the ruck.  Would create matchup nightmares for any defence. 

All three have decent tanks, and can grab a mark. 

And, maybe next year, Weideman can also come into the equation. 

I really want the recruiting staff to work on Hogan's second efforts and pressure in general. I can't really remember him laying a tackle.. I want him to make opposition players scared to have the ball around him. I'm sure it will come (well hopeful)..

• Like 2

Probably the wrong thread but the way this joint is going tonight no one will care...

can someone tell me why Pedo's bone crunching tackle on Gibbs in the final minutes wasn't holding the ball?

Edited by Deestroy All
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wunders said:

I really want the recruiting staff to work on Hogan's second efforts and pressure in general. I can't really remember him laying a tackle.. I want him to make opposition players scared to have the ball around him. I'm sure it will come (well hopeful)..

Seems an odd job for the recruiting staff, I'd stick to having the coaches do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demon77 said:

WTF is going on today on DL? 

2 hours ago, brendan said:

Hahahahaha ahhh nooo, is it a full moon 

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

It's school holidays.  Too many kids with little to do.

Definitely need a Fijian input get nicnat on board !

26 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Probably the wrong thread but the way this joint is going tonight no one will care...

can someone tell me why Pedo's bone crunching tackle on Gibbs in the final minutes wasn't holding the ball?

I'm going from memory here and would assume he nailed Weitering almost instantly and the force of the tackle forced the ball loose. At the time I yelled ball but in hindsight I can play devil's advocate and say

No prior opportunity 

Ball jarred free in tackle

No incorrect disposal

• Like 1