Training - Wednesday 23rd November, 2016

Mickey

I am a little concerned about the times being run.  I have no idea what the industry standard is these days, but several years ago the media experts were saying that an AFL midfielder needed to do the 3km in around the 9.30  mark.  From the sound of it we only have a few players who can crack 10 minutes.  Assuming that the goalposts haven't moved this is a bad sign and shows we're still going to struggle against sides that can run. 

27 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I am a little concerned about the times being run.  I have no idea what the industry standard is these days, but several years ago the media experts were saying that an AFL midfielder needed to do the 3km in around the 9.30  mark.  From the sound of it we only have a few players who can crack 10 minutes.  Assuming that the goalposts haven't moved this is a bad sign and shows we're still going to struggle against sides that can run. 

i've always thought that a player running sub-10 minute 3km TT's is doing very well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

According to this: http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-best.htm

Only 10 guys have run sub 9:50 3km at the draft camps and that's when they are skinny 18 year olds often with 10+kg to put on to hit peak footballing condition. 

Our inside midfielders probably aren't top of the league but they can run. Jones - yes. Viney - just on willpower alone. Tyson - improving and yet to do back to back preseasons. Vince, Lewis - solid veterans. Brayshaw - seemed to run in low 10 minutes and improving big time this year. Petracca and Oliver are going to take some time, which is why we've got a guy like ANB I guess. 

Our backline has plenty of guys who can run - McDonald's, White, Wagner, Hunt. Salem improving. 

Probably the most important position in terms of 3km running is for the outside mids. Bugg won it. Looks like Stretch didn't compete after being in rehab, the 4kg of muscle might have temporarily slowed him down but he's a very good runner. Melksham is another who can play wing or half back and is solid. Harmes the same. Adding other players who can run the lines outside should be a priority for the draft.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Dante said:

I'll go with bulky, there's no fat there he is in great condition.

Very pleased with ANB, there has been talk about his tank and this will go some way towards disproving this.

'disproving' he hasn't got a goodwon; or, improving his weak tank?

6 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Was anyone there at all? I know a lot of the information has come from the club website, but just interested to hear who the stragglers were. normally there's a ruck or big forward who's not suited to the longer stuff but puts in then brings up their breaky at the end of the run?

Not sure where they finished or what order R&Br, but smashed avocado & caffeine were seen littered all along the track.

4 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Sub 10min for an AFL footballer (who has to carry plenty of muscle) is elite.....  at any club.  Also, last year the majority of guys shaved a lot of time off by the end of pre-season as you'd expect.  

9 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Was it actually 3km or a time trial around Princes Park, which is 3.2km?

Good question. I recall this is where we have done trials in the past and you couldn't compare with other club 3k runs because of the slightly longer distance.

No-one sprints 3km in a real match. It's a stop start game. So in one sense the times are meaningless.

But the times are a personal barometer for their fitness levels and this is much more important.

I don't know why everyone finds the 3km time trials so important???

There is 4 months to go until we play in the fair dinkum stuff.   I reckon I could get fairly fit in four months.......Well maybe not but I don't have the age....the personal training....the indivdual training.....5 days a week training....ect   ect    ect   

13 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Was it actually 3km or a time trial around Princes Park, which is 3.2km?

I'd be guessing they finish 200 mtr's shorter than where they started so it is exactly 3km's. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

There is 4 months to go until we play in the fair dinkum stuff.   I reckon I could get fairly fit in four months.......Well maybe not but I don't have the age....the personal training....the indivdual training.....5 days a week training....ect   ect    ect   

There is never any excuse for an MFC footballer to commence the season in top shape and fully fit allowing for injuries

I just cannot understand previous seasons when fitness was an ongoing issue and people readily accepted it.

Bizzare!!!!

2 hours ago, Bossdog said:

Not 'elite' fit you couldn't. These guys are already crazy fit, but need to get the 4 mths of preseason in to get that extra fitness to improve 

4 hours ago, Bossdog said:

It's purely for performance management. Setting a baseline so Misson and his team can tailor individual programs.

On 11/23/2016 at 1:00 PM, DubDee said:

Waggers has put on some size too

I predict him to hold down a spot in the 22

ps. how the F do they run 3:15 min Ks?  doesnt seem possible.  I work in Parkville so I just did 2 laps of prinny park at lucnh today - no need to divulge my lap times.  *a-hem *cough*

We don't need to know your lap time. What we need to know is whether you ran a personal best.