MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 18

Demonland

29 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Weed needs to get a kick in the 2's first 

But Dawes doesn't, apparently.   Dropped for poor form on the back of long term injuries > unfit to play last week > rewarded by a promotion !!??

25 minutes ago, DubDee said:

We needed to bring in a tall fwd and Dawes is the best of a bad lot. Unfortunately. Pedo still is either unfit or terribly out of form

But Dawes isn't?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, P-man said:

Very inexperienced team but I don't mind putting the challenge to the likes of Stretch, Brayshw and ANB.  

Not a Matt Jones fan as I simply don't trust his ability, but a fifth change was probably one too many and we already looked a bit one paced.

The main thing I want to see is the tackle count greatly improving. 14-3 tackles in forward 50 was another damning reflection on work rate. That needs to improve significantly if we are to have any chance. And if we jump them early and convert it on the scoreboard, we are a chance.

Agreed and 6/1 in a two horse race is enticing.

40 minutes ago, old dee said:

Nice little cop out by Roos. He is Goodwins problem!

I don't see the value of Dawes. He plays the role of a defensive forward. He doesn't average a goal a game & can't mark or ruck. Pedersen is better but I want 2 c Hullet & Weideman blooded. Dawes should be traded or retired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky P said:

Great to see ANB get a run. I reckon he's got potential and it will be good to see how much he's improved since last year.

Would be good if they left him in the team for a few rounds to let him settle in which would hopefully give us a good indication on what he is like. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bing181 said:

The reasons are obvious, for anyone prepared to look at the big picture instead of just throwing a tanty.

As for Oliver, he's specifically being left at Casey for his development, as Plapp noted in his player review. Has been consistent about what they want Oliver to work on.

Finally, it's laughable to suggest that the selections are being made by Roos alone, without input from all the coaches, including Goodwin. This isn't some backyard club where the coach pins up the team on Thursday night after the post-training BBQ.

The reasons aren't obvious at all 'bing' and I'm going to through a tanty...

What the F is Dawes playing for????

Didn't play last week and had a shocker the week before.

At least Spencer has some form on the board over the last month or so and I don't think he'd be much good (at least he can relieve in the ruck and through his weight around) The Dawes selection is a total mockery.

...as for Oliver, he need to learn his craft in the AFL. He's way to good for Casey and needs to learn to play in the cut and thrust of senior footy. We certainly wouldn't be carrying him as we are a few others...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, monoccular said:

But Dawes doesn't, apparently.   Dropped for poor form on the back of long term injuries > unfit to play last week > rewarded by a promotion !!??

But Dawes isn't?

Don't understand how his form improved by not playing a game. This selection makes me annoyed. Play the kids Dawes is past it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CBDees said:

Might be a big game from Dawes! He is certainly playing for his future.

Dawes plays like his life depends on it every week. His problems lie with his concrete hands and general lack of ability. I don't think him playing for his future will have any bearing on his performance.

27 minutes ago, Je Roos Salem said:

Would he really forego a trip to see his family/property?

Not to mention, a scenic tour of West Coasts or Freos facilities??

2 hours ago, old dee said:

I don't believe Dawes did play last week.

but who knows for certain?

No he withdrew from Casey with back spasm on the day. So he gets back in on not playing, maybe he trained really well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JV7 said:

Pity even with the concrete statue Dawes inclusion he'll still be one out & yes Spencer in would of allowed Watts to play 100% forward & Gawn to play 60% ruck 40% forward

So why did we bring Dawes in to be the second tall up forward when Watts goes into the ruck when we could just put Frost in to back up Gawny? Why bring Frost AND Dawes in?

6 minutes ago, mrtwister said:

So why did we bring Dawes in to be the second tall up forward when Watts goes into the ruck when we could just put Frost in to back up Gawny? Why bring Frost AND Dawes in?

One's a forward, one's a backman?

Edited by jumbo returns
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jumbo returns said:

One's a forward, once a backman?

Yeah, I know. It's just that Roos was talking about how Dawes would be valuable to ensure Hogan isn't 'left on his own' up forward when Watts goes into the ruck. Surely we could have NOT brought Dawes in and just put Frost as the back up ruckman. Then Watts can stay in the forward line. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to rotate Frost through. We have the two key back positions covered without him. Then there would be no reason to bring Dawes in which is surely a better option.

2 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

We all hope it is but he needs a body of work. 1 goal from his 4 matches this year, too late for mine. I'd like to see Spencer given a game, actually make that 6.

it makes sense to get some games into Spencer. if Gawn was to get injured in the early part of next season, you'd want spencil ready to go.

• Like 1

Should be a good showing this week and i asure most fans that we wont due wondering with this weeks team.

If we can run out the game (big if?) i think we'll win. Another aspect that hasnt been brought up through the season is the young guys need to take ownership of this side. Find hard to describe what i mean but internally the club led by Jackson took ownership of a ruderless club, new logo, we have an shiny but well run identity. Well on field im not sure they have to be told but Petracca, Brayshaw, Hogan, Oliver, Kent, Stretch, ANB, Salem, Harmes and led by Viney should /do/need to realise this is their team. As well as 50 -70games experience this will play a bigger factor is thats 1/3 team all the same age or younger. Their team should have an identity and cannor wait to see it on display..... this weekend maybe?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bing181 said:

Such as?

From reports, no-one "of size" is really playing OK, which is why they're at Casey.

Jake Spencer 1 goal 20 disposals 8 kicks 12 handballs 3 marks 7 tackles 44 hit outs 139 dream team points

Just sayin'

• Like 7