Jack Watts signs for three years (21/7/16)

dazzledavey36

5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I'm pretty proud of myself on this one. Like a few others here, I have been a huge Watts' fan for literally ages, through thick and thin. On balance, mainly thin. He was rated the first pick by the majority of clubs in 2008, despite the derision he has endured ever since.

I'm confident he will prove himself to be the number one pick from the talls in that draft. With Hurley second. And Nik Nat and Davis after that.

A whole stack of super handy mids such as Sloane, Hannebery, Hill, Hartlett, Rich, Sidebottom, Zaharakis, Motlop, Beams, Redden also came out of that draft. Can't help the observation that we absolutely stuffed up that draft. Except for Watts and Nev.

Really? Wow. You need to get out more Ron. It's taken 8 years but you proved 'em wrong. Good job.

• Like 2

The division he has caused actually points to a unity of sorts. I think the attachment to Watts individually gets undersold.

They say it's a fine line between love and hate, and I feel that has been the case with Watts with a lot of supporters.  There might be some who just abuse for the sake of abuse, but they aren't real footy fans imo, let alone Melbourne or Watts fans. I believe that deep down, the majority of Melbourne supporters have been desperate to see him do well. Not just Jack Watts the Melbourne player, although that's a large component, but also Jack Watts the football player. 

Frustration has boiled over for some, and abuse over the fence is poor form. But everyone has been on a journey of sorts with this kid over the past 8 years, including those shouting behind the fence. There has been a greater attachment to Watts than the standard player. Far greater in fact. That is what makes the season he is having, and the sudden jolt to his career, quite special.

I could be wrong, but that's my take. Certainly that's how I feel when watching Watts now dominating a quarter, a half, or an entire game. I'm happy for the club, but in almost equal measure, I'm happy for him.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Ted Fidge said:

?

Surely ... it's more like ... his gravitas (gravity) has produced the potential for high energy performance, but inertia, in the form of friction, held him back, but having overcome that, we are now seeing a change in momentum producing high wattage output ...

Or to put it more simply,

mtm3_integration_formula.png

Thanks so much Ted for simplifying what I ineptly tried to say. Far clearer for all I am sure. 

14 hours ago, Ted Fidge said:

?

Surely ... it's more like ... his gravitas (gravity) has produced the potential for high energy performance, but inertia, in the form of friction, held him back, but having overcome that, we are now seeing a change in momentum producing high wattage output ...

Or to put it more simply,

mtm3_integration_formula.png

I think this is what you really meant.

ForceGravity.jpg and Peter Jess is not his manager.

Edit:- On re-checking you may be right.

Edited by ManDee

4 hours ago, ManDee said:

I think this is what you really meant.

ForceGravity.jpg and Peter Jess is not his manager.

Edit:- On re-checking you may be right.

Clearly you're not Einstein :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Really? Wow. You need to get out more Ron. It's taken 8 years but you proved 'em wrong. Good job.

Settle jnr.  I don't know if his statement is right or wrong but at least he doesn't make up stats to try and prove a point.  You do.  You're not in a position to criticize.

28 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Clearly you're not Einstein :)

Ha! Your cover is blown, MD!

We should have realised this ages ago.

Reasons we can tell he's not Einstein:

• He's not 137 years old. (Are you, MD?)
  • He would have posted the gravitational formula adjusted for relativity, like so: einsteinfieldeq.jpg?w=295&h=117
  • The real Einstein didn't care for the AFL competition. His famous quote: "God does not play dice, unlike the AFL umpires" summed up his attitude.

Some other famous Einstein quotes.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I'm talking to you, Dawes!"

"That's dropping the ball! That's dropping the ball every fückin' day of the week! Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Hurley and Davis are comfortably ahead of Watts.

But the sentiment is hopefully correct. There are a few big 'ifs' involved but given

a) The relative eveness of the 2008 draft with no clear superstars and 

b) Watts' coming of age this year

It isn't unreasonable to think Jack could finish his career in five or so years as the hindsight No. 1 pick from that draft. However it pans out I'm certain he will be the better pick over time than Nic Nat

• Like 2

It appears Jack has already re-signed and the club are holding off the announcement. On the Footy Show last night he was part of a stupid golf segment and they said he was fresh off signing a new contract and congratulated him and he thanked them and didn't correct them or anything.

Go Jack! Go Dees!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ted Fidge said:

Ha! Your cover is blown, MD!

We should have realised this ages ago.

Reasons we can tell he's not Einstein:

• He's not 137 years old. (Are you, MD?)
  • He would have posted the gravitational formula adjusted for relativity, like so: einsteinfieldeq.jpg?w=295&h=117
  • The real Einstein didn't care for the AFL competition. His famous quote: "God does not play dice, unlike the AFL umpires" summed up his attitude.

Some other famous Einstein quotes.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I'm talking to you, Dawes!"

"That's dropping the ball! That's dropping the ball every fückin' day of the week! Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Ted, many a wise man have mistaken me for a Albert Einstein. Maybe it is my hair, but I digress.  It has taken a man of sublime wisdom to get to the bottom of this conundrum. I am not Albert Einstein or his cousin. I may be a fish trying to climb tree but that does not mean that I am stupid, but you know that.

albert-einstein-biography-docume.jpg

As I always say, the difference between stupidy and genius is that genius has its limits.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2016 at 6:30 AM, nutbean said:

I can't believe he is only 25 - it seems like I have been calling him a spud in one post followed by calling him a champion in the next post for ever

You and everyone else nut, except for Ron and a few other lonely souls now coming out of the woodwork to pronounce their greatness.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

Only the real Einstein would have said that.

Now I don't know what the hell's going on.

This may help.

LW389-MC-Escher-Relativity-19531.jpg NB:- The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your source.

Or as Aristotle said " The more you know the more you know you don't know"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Settle jnr.  I don't know if his statement is right or wrong but at least he doesn't make up stats to try and prove a point.  You do.  You're not in a position to criticize.

Couldn't care less what you think but carry on :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Undeeterred said:

I'm one, for the record.

i'll confess to being a fence-sitter on this one, with fingers (and legs) crossed always hoping jack would turn that corner but having doubts

couldn't be happier to see his transition/transformation 

I've been staunch for Watts in the face of some truly bad games.

Also Neville,Gawn and the skipper.

I've backed Hunt to become a star early.

I still say Salem will be a star.

Never doubted Jack Viney.

In fact,I'm very rarely wrong ever.

About anything.

Most of you will know that by now.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Biffen said:

I've been staunch for Watts in the face of some truly bad games.

Also Neville,Gawn and the skipper.

I've backed Hunt to become a star early.

I still say Salem will be a star.

Never doubted Jack Viney.

In fact,I'm very rarely wrong ever.

About anything.

Most of you will know that by now.

and Scully. Many of Demonland had him captaining the Dees by 2016.  

Watts is a great bloke and loyal clubman.  We stick by him and vice versa.

yeah  wowee! watts is now a best 22 player in every team in the comp....

jack has had an ace 15 rounds  but lets not get over excited. 

To date he is still a number 1 draft pick failure. Best we all acknowledge this and move on

Edited by mattjm