POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 13

Demonland

We could have kicked a lot more goals if we kick the ball lower into the forward line for chest marks instead of bombing it high. 

It was to wet for over head marks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Is there even such a thimg as a second world country??

What a ridiculous question.

There is Coles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, defuture15 said:

St kilda game all over again. Just add rain. Sucked into the contest then they clear and bang bang goal!

Why do we all go up in the pack and leave no options on the ground. Very dumb football. Played better against hawthorn.  

What a terrible comment. Sydney are on top of the ladder and they laid 150 tackles

3 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

Good advice ET. And it's easier to do it with a Red or a Kilkenny. Maybe a Kilkenny.

I would prefer a hearty soup to a Kilkenny....oh wait 

• Like 1

Ok

but 2 things

- play wet weather footy everyone 

- cue in the rack off to the homeland for break mentalty ( as above physco's required plus a craft element and -  for the duration ) 

We are a fascinating football club.

When we were god awful, we tended to play decent football in the wet and occasionally troubled some teams in those conditions when we were set to get belted.

In 2014 and 2015, we had a solid backline, but a terrible forward line and midfield.

In 2016, we've dropped off in the wet, picked up significantly in the middle and up forward, but have major liabilities across the defensive structure. 

We miss Frawley, but the plus side is we have Petracca.

We have played terrible wet weather football twice in three weeks now, and went in unchanged in trying, hard conditions against a top side away from Melbourne after a mere 6-day break.

When it rains, it pours. 

We have made massive inroads as a club on and off the field but we struggle to "turn" corners. It took us so long to win two in a row. Now we can't quite get over the line against teams we don't know how to beat and haven't for years. Geelong last year was an anomaly, and it came in a rare "off" year for them.

A win against Adelaide will right a lot of the wrongs this team committed in loses to the Saints, Port, Hawks, Swans and Bombers. We have to compete and beat teams around or above us on the ladder to really take the next step. Carlton's win against Geelong would have done wonders for their development, for their ability to evolve that "how to win" mentality. 

Loses like today always seem like efforts in losing margin minimisation, not so much in "trying to win". We play either dumb or defeatist football. 

We still need to turn a corner and it won't happen this season if we let Adelaide run over us in two weeks.

Edited by praha
  • Like 4

I haven't had a chance to see any of the game and don't think I will bother. I agree with many posters above that the club and list have made some definite improvements and advancements. The football we generally play is really good, and our best footy matches it with most. It is losses like this one against the Swans that are just so frustrating - when we do so many basic things wrong like kicking and marking in the wet, tackles being easily broken, and the Melbourne classic of handballing too much (which used to also include to stationary team mates).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, praha said:

We are a fascinating football club.

When we were god awful, we tended to play decent football in the wet and occasionally troubled some teams in those conditions when we were set to get belted.

In 2014 and 2015, we had a solid backline, but a terrible forward line and midfield.

In 2016, we've dropped off in the wet, picked up significantly in the middle and up forward, but have major liabilities across the defensive structure. 

We miss Frawley, but the plus side is we have Petracca.

We have played terrible wet weather football twice in three weeks now, and went in unchanged in trying, hard conditions against a top side away from Melbourne after a mere 6-day break.

When it rains, it pours. 

We have made massive inroads as a club on and off the field but we struggle to "turn" corners. It took us so long to win two in a row. Now we can't quite get over the line against teams we don't know how to beat and haven't for years. Geelong last year was an anomaly, and it came in a rare "off" year for them.

A win against Adelaide will right a lot of the wrongs this team committed in loses to the Saints, Port, Hawks, Swans and Bombers. We have to compete and beat teams around or above us on the ladder to really take the next step. Carlton's win against Geelong would have done wonders for their development, for their ability to evolve that "how to win" mentality. 

Loses like today always seem like efforts in losing margin minimisation, not so much in "trying to win". We play either dumb or defeatist football. 

We still need to turn a corner and it won't happen this season if we let Adelaide run over us in two weeks.

Basically agree with the comments.

One question though - why was our 2015 win vs Geelong an anomaly but Carlton's win has 'done wonders for their development, for their ability to evolve that "how to win" mentality'.  My recollection of our Geelong win was that Max arrived and has never looked back.  It was also the day when the seeds of belief were sown with our players.  The seeds are growing slowly but that win was monumental for us moving forward, imo.

Not sure how Carlton can be praised but our identical achievement dismissed.

• Like 2

It feels like we're progressing slower than any other developing team. I guess when you need to rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild, you get that. 

Maybe I'm just sick of waiting, but we make such tiny incremental inroads only to reverse back 600km every other week. 

• Like 5

watts showed real courage and desperation.shame some the so called harder players didnt have his heart

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I haven't had a chance to see any of the game and don't think I will bother. I agree with many posters above that the club and list have made some definite improvements and advancements. The football we generally play is really good, and our best footy matches it with most. It is losses like this one against the Swans that are just so frustrating - when we do so many basic things wrong like kicking and marking in the wet, tackles being easily broken, and the Melbourne classic of handballing too much (which used to also include to stationary team mates).

Save yourself 3 hours - do something else with your life.

We were off, conditions were awful, they were seasoned hardened bodies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CityDee said:

Ok

but 2 things

- play wet weather footy everyone 

- cue in the rack off to the homeland for break mentalty ( as above physco's required plus a craft element and -  for the duration ) 

Here, here! Couldn't have said it better myself.

5 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Those who say we have enough midfielders need to think again IMO.

u can never have to many midfielders especially us. 

We have many more and better quality mids than in previous years but the Swans have more mature hardened bodies and have been playing as a unit far longer.  We are getting there  compare our mid unit with one or two years back.

41 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Basically agree with the comments.

One question though - why was our 2015 win vs Geelong an anomaly but Carlton's win has 'done wonders for their development, for their ability to evolve that "how to win" mentality'.  My recollection of our Geelong win was that Max arrived and has never looked back.  It was also the day when the seeds of belief were sown with our players.  The seeds are growing slowly but that win was monumental for us moving forward, imo.

Not sure how Carlton can be praised but our identical achievement dismissed.

Good observation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davo said:

We were outmuscled by a stronger much more mature team in the wet, would have been a different story if it ever stopped raining in [censored] Sydney!!

Yes, Davo

The Sydney players would be much more accustomed  to training and playing in slippery conditions.

Even our older players have little experience of conditions like today's.

Watching  sport in Sydney on TV, it's amazing how often the players(rugby or AFL), or horses in the racing,are knee deep in mud.

Its rare in Melbourne( except at Casey kart weekend!)

1 hour ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I was at the game 38....if someone made me watch that game again they`d be off my Xmas card list immediately. I`d rather watch an indoor plant grow.

• Like 3

Why can't the rest of the team play more like Bernie Vince does in the wet ? Runs hard, keeps his feet, majority of his disposals are by foot, and most of those kicks are getting as much distance on the ball as possible. 29kicks 7handballs vs Hawthorn in the wet, 21kicks 7handballs in the wet today, he changes his game in the wet and thrives, why can't other's learn and copy how he plays in the wet?

• Like 5

just got home from the game.

my biggest observation was just how we butchered the ball kicking forward.

mids did ok but just tackling pressure from Sydney was the difference.

lastly. why doesn't the afl go the whole hog and appoint an umpire for each player? some sort of personal chaperone to penalise indescretions.

Edited by Brownie
  • Like 1