• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Grapeviney

1 hour ago, A F said:

Anyone who wants Jesse to go has rocks in their head. Exhibit A ^

If Jesse wants to go home, as his body language seems to suggest (at least to me), then i think the rational person would agree that it is in our best interests to trade him(whilst his value is still high). Obviously the condition would have to be that we receive fair compensation, something along the lines of Nat Fyfe.

Edited by Moneider96
  • Like 1

Jesse will be a quality player. The question remains though: is he committed to the Melbourne football club?

I see no reason to think that the presumption should be that Jesse is happy to stay in Melbourne. And that anyone who disagrees bears some large burden of proof, otherwise they have ''rocks in their head.''

To say that suggests either that you're presuming that he wants to stay in Melbourne, or that you think Melbourne should keep him regardless of his intentions to go back to WA (because he's a good footballer). Which one is it? If it's the former, why do you think that?

Edited by Moneider96

Sorry guys but Jack and Jessie were dating sisters who live in Brighton. Jack and sister one stopped dating early in the season but until recently Jessie was still dating sister 2 who is definitely not Jacks sister. Lovely lass who is athletic and has no intention of moving anywhere. Bad news is they have stopped dating so Jessie is single again.

all this statistical analysis is a bunch of hooey, the guy doesn't lead up to the ball carrier. Have a look at the way he plays when we're bringing th ball inside forward 50 with speed, he's always calling for the ball out the back, demanding an unrealistic 60-80 m ball to the top of the square (or more typically the forward pocket). For a kpf that has such a big "tank", why isn't he running his opponents ragged with hard leads back to goal then doubling back to the ball carrier and splitting packs like he was in his first year? 

My gut feel is that he's mentally checked out of the club, and has been playing the last month of footy in self-preservation mode (a la J. Howe last year). 

I may well be wrong of course, and if so, I'll support him as a part of the MFC, but my admiration for the way he plays the game has dwindled considerably this year and he'd want to pull out something special next year to win me back over. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, schmuttt said:

I'm not sure if his bad body language is because he is disinterested or he is just a sook. Honestly leaning towards him being a sook, I reckon he is 50/50 to stay but don't think his attitude will magically change at a new club.

I reckon we won't let him go another year unsigned though, in a few weeks the club will demanding to know his future intentions.

14 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Honestly he was disinterested today. Again on 3 occasions he played for free kicks. Competitive... hardly? 

Hogan was rumoured to be after $800,000 a year for min. 5 year deal. wow... he is NOT worth that (just my opinion).

Freo offer might be pick 3 and their 1st round pick in 2017 draft.  Hmmm ... no ... no.... umm ... but just maybe... yeh !!! 

My pedantic semantic self cannot let this through to the keeper.  He may well look uninterested.  Certainly wouldn't be disinterested.  

But without any shadow of doubt someone needs to take him aside over the offseason and work on his set shot routine.  And also his leading patterns.  He may have to swallow his pride and just get on and do it.  Maybe tell him it would add to his resale value if he improves on these facets.   

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, leucopogon said:

My gut feel is that he's mentally checked out of the club, and has been playing the last month of footy in self-preservation mode (a la J. Howe last year).   

Seems that way.  And if do he must tell the club immediately.  No way should we have to go through another season of a key player not wanting to be part of the club.    We must trade him this trade period and get a huge haul.

Edited by Petraccattack

59 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Seems that way.  And if do he must tell the club immediately.  No way should we have to go through another season of a key player not wanting to be part of the club.    We must trade him this trade period and get a huge haul.

If its going to happen it will be soon. 

Edited by america de cali

Im seriously underwhelmed by this lad. Has obvious truckload of footy prowess when he can be bothered.

There is something distinctly nqr about his disposition.

It's really not the eotw if he does go. Many no doubt will recoil in horror and wince whenever/ if ever he were to turn in a blinder for another team, but the reality is what exactly does he give US ?

If we evaluate Watts simply as a player and ignore his draft # so should we with Jesse. Currently below bog average.

Id seriously consider any offers which seemingly overvalued his worth, why not.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Hogan was rumoured to be after $800,000 a year for min. 5 year deal. wow... he is NOT worth that (just my opinion).

If that was true and the next 6 years were locked in, he has one to go on current deal, I would do the deal and do it quickly.

Once committed to us and knowing his future, he can concentrate on his game and his upside is enormous.

As our midfield gets better, so will the delivery into the forward line. He will be the recipient of those little chip passes, that Hawkins got yesterday.

Hawkins doesn't take the big pack marks often, Jesse can. Jesse is also capable of playing up the ground as we have seen. 

I use Hawkins as an example because we played them yesterday and he is regarded as a top key forward.

They are hard to find and we have one ATM.

Everyone would agree he is worth say $600k to sign on, so the extra $200k per year may prove to be a bargain and the salary cap is rising and we have to spend it.

If I said to you delist Michie and we keep Jesse or that Dawes pay is about 65% of what we need for Jesse who wouldn't jump at delisting Dawes and signing Jesse.

At one stage Brown on "On the Couch", said pay him $1.5m per year for 10 years. Well that is gone. $800k if true is very realistic and could prove to be a bargain.

This is a difficult spot we are in but I trust the FD to get it right, I hope.

You don't clear guys like Jesse, you get the best out of them, as they are far and few between.

As an example of how rare these guys are, a couple of clubs are looking at Cloke.

• Like 16

58 minutes ago, Redleg said:

At one stage Brown on "On the Couch", said pay him $1.5m per year for 10 years. Well that is gone. $800k if true is very realistic and could prove to be a bargain.

Agreed that would be a bargain:rolleyes:  Jesse should have signed up early this year when his 'once in a generation player' value was sky high!! 

Since then Brown has cooled on him, saying Tom Lynch is the best young forward.  Carey also cooled, saying Darcy Moore is (about to be) the best young forward.  Lynch signed up early this year for a reported $800k pa (for 2 more years) so that may set the baseline on contracts for other key forwards.  Jesse's average year (by his standards) may have cast doubts in other Club recruiter minds as to his 'worth'. While every club would want Jesse not many (if any) have the sal cap space and/or the trade currency.  Others already have their key forward locked up on mega bucks.  So Jesse is stuck with us!:rolleyes: 

All that adds up to fewer bargaining chips in the hands of his manager but our club is very fair and will put a fair deal to him.

To me it doesn't matter whether he is 'the best' or 'once in a generation'; he will be in the top 5. Just hope he signs up soon if for no other reason than to get the monkey off his back. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Is Hogan beginning his career in the right era? I'm starting to question this more and more as I see the lanky athletic types, big bodied 200cm ruckmen style forwards and the small forwards impose themselves on the contest while the stay at home forwards are being EASILY outnumbered? Or held onto in a grappling 1on1.  Would Cloke even make a mark again if he was starting his career in 2014 ? Tony Lockett would be easily nullified within the context of the modern day zone. He'd contribute his 30-50, but never more.

As others have said, We need him up the ground, leading hard, taking marks and turning quickly to bring it to an open forward line when the game is in the clinch and we need the TEX style gamebreaker OR we need him on the end of the fast centre clearance as the traditional FF when its going our way. I think the pack marking forward or one on one wrestling full forward era is over. I'd rather have a Majak daw leaping over the packs than a player within a pack being outnumbered.

I hope i'm wrong and Hogan throws an egg on my face next year. He deserves one more year to prove himself before any attempt is made to trade

Edited by johndemons

43 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Agreed that would be a bargain:rolleyes:  Jesse should have signed up early this year when his 'once in a generation player' value was sky high!! 

Since then Brown has cooled on him, saying Tom Lynch is the best young forward.  Carey also cooled, saying Darcy Moore is (about to be) the best young forward.  Lynch signed up early this year for a reported $800k pa (for 2 more years) so that may set the baseline on contracts for other key forwards.  Jesse's average year (by his standards) may have cast doubts in other Club recruiter minds as to his 'worth'. While every club would want Jesse not many (if any) have the sal cap space and/or the trade currency.  Others already have their key forward locked up on mega bucks.  So Jesse is stuck with us!:rolleyes: 

All that adds up to fewer bargaining chips in the hands of his manager but our club is very fair and will put a fair deal to him.

To me it doesn't matter whether he is 'the best' or 'once in a generation'; he will be in the top 5. Just hope he signs up soon if for no other reason than to get the monkey off his back. 

Maybe knowing he hasn't been at his best and has lost value, is what is affecting him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Maybe knowing he hasn't been at his best and has lost value, is what is affecting him.

It does not appear he is trying to change things for the better.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Just now, america de cali said:

It does not appear he trying to change things for the better.

14 marks last week would have to be an attempt.

Pretty hard to get a kick in the forward line yesterday, when first, it didn't get there much and second, when it did, it was kicked away from the Melbourne forwards and to the chest of Cats players.

Yesterday's disposal by us, was as poor as I can recall.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, johndemons said:

Is Hogan beginning his career in the right era? I'm starting to question this more and more as I see the lanky athletic types, big bodied 200cm ruckmen style forwards and the small forwards impose themselves on the contest while the stay at home forwards are being EASILY outnumbered? Or held onto in a grappling 1on1.  Would Cloke even make a mark again if he was starting his career in 2014 ? Tony Lockett would be easily nullified within the context of the modern day zone. He'd contribute his 30-50, but never more.

As others have said, We need him up the ground, leading hard, taking marks and turning quickly to bring it to an open forward line when the game is in the clinch and we need the TEX style gamebreaker OR we need him on the end of the fast centre clearance as the traditional FF when its going our way. I think the pack marking forward or one on one wrestling full forward era is over. I'd rather have a Majak daw leaping over the packs than a player within a pack being outnumbered.

I hope i'm wrong and Hogan throws an egg on my face next year. He deserves one more year to prove himself before any attempt is made to trade

If Lockett were around these days he wouldn't have even been drafted, isn't that a sad indictment on the way footy is evolving into a sport for athletes first and footballers second.

17 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

If Lockett were around these days he wouldn't have even been drafted, isn't that a sad indictment on the way footy is evolving into a sport for athletes first and footballers second.

He would have been drafted don't worry about that...

Similar type player no where near as good though in McCartin got picked number 1.

17 minutes ago, rjay said:

He would have been drafted don't worry about that...

Similar type player no where near as good though in McCartin got picked number 1.

Speaking of Paddy, he has had a terrible run with injury.

Disgusting comments in here.

Played 21 games, averaged more marks, kicks, disposals than 2015. Had a bad last month but still averaged 2 goals a game (0.2 less than last year).

Some of you need to get a grip.

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, Hogan2014 said:

The expectations on our 1st & 2nd year players is ridiculous! He is just like any other young gun on our list who is playing the hardest position & will need time to develop & handle the position.

It's incredible, isn't it ?

A 21 year old key forward playing the hardest position on the ground with next to no support is ridiculed after a 40+ goal season where he's finished top 10 in the league for contested marks, 7th for total marks and 6th for marks inside 50.

He hasn't played 50 games and yet some are talking about trading him.

Some people could watch footy for 60 years and still be clueless about the sport they love.

• Like 11