Jesse Hogan and his kicking for goal (merged thread)

Ricky P

6 hours ago, bluey said:

Been at the club four years and can't even kick a football, and his attitude is starting to appear Nick Kyriosesque, someone needs to show him how to kick, and to pull his head in, the contest is not over when you spill the mark.

if this is sarcasm then... whatever.

If this is an actual honest observation however, which I think it may well be, well...um...gee...where to start? Ah...gosh...uuummm...nup! don't go there Pinkshark.  This is your only foray into social media of any sort, your little green 'community reputation' thingy is all good.  Excellent in fact, so why go and get all angry at a fellow poster.  After all Pinkshark, if in a cue at a supermarket and there was a di*&head in front of you you wouldn't necessarily call him a di*&head would you?

Edited by pinkshark
  • Like 1

I'm of the opinion leave it alone. Trying to fix it will lead to years of yips. Just let them do what feels natural. 

Although we are f'd if he ever has to kick from 50 after the siren with the huge arc he needs it'll be play on. 

It's funny that Bruce felt to me like a world beater yesterday, while Hogan had a shocker. Yet at the end of the day they both kicked 2.2. 

17 hours ago, bluey said:

Been at the club four years and can't even kick a football, and his attitude is starting to appear Nick Kyriosesque, someone needs to show him how to kick, and to pull his head in, the contest is not over when you spill the mark.

I'm with you Blue, we should sack him.

Forgetting his kicking and dropped marks for a moment, on watching the replay I noticed him crashing packs many times and bringing the ball to ground to the advantage of Garlett and Kent. Combine that with the great handball goal assist and his 2 goals. Not a bad stinker.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ricky P said:

Over the next couple of weeks we're obviously going to hear about how goalkicking is the big flaw in Jesse's game and that he is the next Travis Cloke. In case this notion is put to you by any of your mates, please feel free to furnish them with the following information:

- Hogan is the 13th most accurate shot at goal since 1965 (of players who have had 50 or more shots at goal) - http://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html

- Hogan was a more accurate shot at goal than any of the players in the top 10 for the Coleman Medal last year - http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/melbourne-beginning-to-look-like-a-simon-goodwin-team-after-two-years-of-paul-roos/news-story/708c2557c2fa1de1bcc54cbb617ef788

Any journos who are reading demonland (we all know you get most of your 'scoops' from footy fan forums) should also feel free to use this information in any of the razor-sharp 'analysis' they provide for the footy public.

You can say all of that but his kicking yesterday was different to any kicking we have seen by him. IF that sets in he is going to have a real problem. 

It needs to be addressed. His field kicking is awesome. And last year his set shots were fantastic. Kicking for goal is like putting in that it is technique plus mental. Once the rot sets in its hard to stop. Hence it should be dealt with asap...

• Like 2

The football media is so hysterical now its beyond a joke.

Ox went way overboard in his criticism and if anything made himself look foolish.

He has one poor game (even though he still had an impact) and fluffs a couple of kicks and now it's "shocking" and a "disgrace".

Sure his run up isn't the prettiest going around but I wouldn't be hitting the panic button yet over one bad game...

• Like 1

Hogan is still virtually a second year player. Plenty of time to work on the technical aspects of his goal kicking, but let's not forget that his accuracy overall was pretty good last season.

36 minutes ago, Moneider96 said:

How long can he actually kick? His kicks don't seem to have a lot of penetration. 

I remember one particular kick last year that he stabbed home from 50-55 metres, but it didn't get much air. Generally, he struggles from further out than 45m.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sisso said:

The football media is so hysterical now its beyond a joke.

Ox went way overboard in his criticism and if anything made himself look foolish.

He has one poor game (even though he still had an impact) and fluffs a couple of kicks and now it's "shocking" and a "disgrace".

Sure his run up isn't the prettiest going around but I wouldn't be hitting the panic button yet over one bad game...

I reckon the Ox only wants Hogan to play well.

He (the Ox) probably knows from his own experience that a few harsh words can work wonders on focusing a proud competitive kid to take it to a higher level. 

Hogan, now lifted a lot of expectations and is going to have to get used to, ignore and use the media's scrutiny, criticism, advice... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SaberFang said:

I'm a little perplexed the club hasn't hired a goalkicking mentor to help Hogan with this, ala the Bombers hiring Lloyd to mentor Daniher.

Browny's in Melbourne regularly for Fox Footy, why don't the club get him in as a mentor?

Remember when Aaron Baddeley as a junior golfer was rated at least the equal of Adam Scott until a succession of driving coaches were more a hindrance than help .  Hogan's 2015 goalkicking stats  of 44.19 are reassuring .

Hogan should only change his run up if it is not working for him. More often than not, he has dobbed goals using the same run up. I'd say that up until now it has been a successful run up. The only thing with the weekend is that he was dropping marks, was clearly frustrated, and it probably impacted his ability to do things he would otherwise do naturally.

9 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He has one off day in the office and suddenly the pitchforks are out..

Standard kneejerk media.. It's like watching a [censored] 4ths cricket  captain change his field after ever boundary is hit!!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chook fowler said:

The difference is Hogan was filthy with himself. Kyrgios' ego tells him it is everybody else that is at fault so he lashes out like a spoil brat.

100% Correct there, hoges still put in the effort and work rate yesterday .  Of course he would be filthy on himself he sets high standards but it's not all just talent with him it's effort too ... unlike tennis brats like kyrigos and Mcenroe , it's only ever talent and when it's an off day they blame everyone else, so they can't be accused of not being good enough or not talented enough because it's always someone else's fault (and not theres) it's called a fixed mindset 

And to bag 2 goals  plus a few goals assists for jeffy for an off day is pretty good in my book . 

20 hours ago, Webber said:

He's a long way from being the utter child that Kyrgios is, but his bitching an moaning yesterday when things weren't going his way was nothing short of infantile. He's a great talent, but that was very hard to watch, and worst of all for a team developing a team-first ethos, singularly attention seeking. I presume he'll be told to pull his head in. 

He copped a lot of flak from opponents when he made mistakes and subsequent bitching and then he made more of the same mistakes. Did it too often last season when things were not going his way.  I thought we might have seen less of it this season.  Seems like this behaviour is being tolerated. Any other young player would be dragged if they did the same at first offence. Looking like developing more like a Fevola and Richo rather than a Carey, Brown or Brereton at this stage. Needs to channel and focus his frustrations in a positive manner like the latter three.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Moneider96 said:

How long can he actually kick? His kicks don't seem to have a lot of penetration. 

Ive seen him kick across his body in play from 50 or more although I cant remember if they were accurate. I think its the set shot thats shorter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.