Training - Friday December 4, 2015

Moonshadow

Strolled down to training this morning. Arrived about 10.15 as Gus Brayshaw was leaving to return to AAMI. Not sure why he's not joining in the sessions yet. Seems more solid in the shoulders and arms. 

Absentees from when I got there were Lumumba, Dawes, TMac, Trenners, Tyson, Frost, Milkshake and I think Dunny. Non contact but lots of running were Nate Jones, Vince and Spencil. Hogan joined in all the contact drills after a bit of lap running. Jones, Vince and Spence were doing half lap sprints that were timed, the objective being to not let the pace drop off the more they did. Chunk was just phenomenal, fast pace and must have completed about 25-30 of these each timed within about 22 sec. Got plenty of encouragement from the others. Spencil is one huge unit. He may kill an opposition player one day.

The others did tackling drills, short kick in heavy traffic drills, hand ball in heavy traffic drills, half ground and then whole ground forwards/defenders drills (advance the ball to enable a kick at goal). Other 'Landers who may have attended with knowledge in how these work may be able to describe it more strategically than I. Highlights for me were Harmes running down a lairising Dean Kent, and Nev Jetta tackling a forward, getting legged by that forward as he attacked the loose ball, then tackling a second forward who ran in to scoop up the ball. Diaspointments were some poor short kicking that forced the target to stop or missed altogether. After these there were repeat 3/4 lap sprints (or might have been length timed sprints, ie. sprint for 60 secs) in staggered groups of about 5-6. The better being, Hogan (excellent tank developing), OMac, Petracca, Grimes, Viney and a few others who I can't recall at the moment. Petracca did a fair bit of contact work, no strapping on knee, full speed and movement. Very upbeat personality on the track. Set shot kicking on goal from 45m on 45deg angle followed, with some doing low passes to the goal square running through the centre circle. Better kicks were Kent, Petracca, Salem, Watts and Pedo. The poorer set shots were by Jayden Hunt, Matt Jones (missed all shots, some OOF or didn't make the distance). Jade Rawlings stood the mark on the side where I was and made wise cracks to put the players off their kicks. Very funny guy. Got stuck into Petracca for his basketball slam dunk prowess, and Dean Kent for his apparent addiction to messaging on his mobile.

The young draftees did lap running, timed sprints, kicking and handball drills and boxing. Mostly aside from the main groups. Enthusiastic bunch.

Someone came off having landed awkwardly on an ankle, might have been young Joel Smith. Not sure.

Didnt see Roos or Goodwin. They might have been on the Punt Rd side for all of the 2 hrs I was there, but I couldn't see them. Rawlings took the drills mostly, Misso the running. McCartney there as well I believe. On the sidelines were TViney, Mahoney, Byrnes, some of the other assistants and Jason Taylor.

No photos sorry. I think 666 was there, he might link to some. Any questions, ask.

• Like 36

I got there about 10 but could only stay for an hour.They had  2 really good sessions of working the ball from full back to pass the centre, with full contact, handball and kicking under pressure.

They also had similar games trying to get the ball forward of centre to FF. They all looked pretty sharp. Harmes was the stand out to me.

Petracca put a soda through the goals from 5 metres out. Then turned around and off 2 steps barrelled a torp. as straight as a dye to the centre square. Just beautiful to watch.

VB, ANB, Jetta all performed really well. I didn't recognise O McD with his hat on, but take the hat off, has his body shape changed.

The difference I have noticed this year is the amount of full on intensity in every drill. I saw someone over by the punt road side, take a mark near the boundary about 40m out.

Then walk back and slowly walk in and put it straight through the Centre. It was just perfect kicking style. He was wearing Yellow Fluorescent boots. I kept my eyes on him and walked around to see who it was. It was Max King. I don't remember him having such a fluent kicking action. Can someone tell me I am wrong.

Anyway that's me for the moment.

• Like 20

21 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Then walk back and slowly walk in and put it straight through the Centre. It was just perfect kicking style. He was wearing Yellow Fluorescent boots. I kept my eyes on him and walked around to see who it was. It was Max King. I don't remember him having such a fluent kicking action. Can someone tell me I am wrong.

I'm not surprised at all, he looked classy in the NAB Challenge game he played.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Petracca put a soda through the goals from 5 metres out. Then turned around and off 2 steps barrelled a torp. as straight as a dye to the centre square. Just beautiful to watch.

giphy.gif

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Outside fifty said:

Went today and took some happy snaps. Hope this works I am generally hopeless at this interweb stuff. One thing worth noting is the size of the scar on Dean Kent's hammy, massive.

http://imgur.com/a/okx1R

Did a pretty good job Of looks like Pro to me.

11 minutes ago, Outside fifty said:

Went today and took some happy snaps. Hope this works I am generally hopeless at this interweb stuff. One thing worth noting is the size of the scar on Dean Kent's hammy, massive.

You've done a great job mate. You're right about that scar. Impressive

Thanks for the reports.

i find it very encouraging hearing that Hogan, OMac, Petracca, Grimes, Viney are all building stamina, and that Petracca is as competitive and polished as predicted. 

I attended my first pre season training session today and my observations were:

Gus was running heaps of laps in company with Cross, the latter being probably the fittest on the park... unfortunately

Our captain looked strong and fit though he was restricted to non contact work whilst I was there.

The  most impressive sight for me was CP who looked in peak condition ,moved beautifully , and dare I say it, had Ablett-esque traits.

Hogan has lost much of his puppy fat but not his swagger

There were more assistants on and around the field than I've ever seen before at training.. It seems as if the football department has been cashed up.

• Like 11

Still wish we did more kicking technique practise. 

This isn't going near the goals on a windy day Tracc.

ILESlit.jpg

And Jayden Hunt, no wonder you can't kick reliably with whatever this is:

tFXwWG7.jpg

Put you hand up if you can't kick 

HMaw6PL.jpg

• Like 1

Jayden Hunt was doing the sideways skip walking in for his set shots, hips pointing almost perpendicular to goals in an attempt to get more distance, would be my guess. Bugg has an interesting set shot action too.

On the plus side, the kicking actions of White, Kent, Salem and Watts are very pleasing to the eye.

Max King has a very neat kick on him and is tall. He is well behind on running or pace related drills, but tries very hard and is always encouraged enthusiastically by the group. There is now a great collective will and buy-in amongst our young players that encourages all within the group to succeed - culture growing. Looks like he has put on a bit of size over summer, but not much muscle or definition, as can be seen from the photos of the last couple of sessions. Gawn is miles ahead of him, obviously, but also 4-5 yrs older in experience. I think Max King is worth perservering with.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2