Adam Goodes Retires

Lucifers Hero

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-19/swans-champion-adam-goodes-calls-it-a-day?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News

No fanfare, no fuss.
No sign or wave to the crowd.
He announced it to his teammates after the game.

A football career doesn't get much better than this:
Games: 372
Goals: 464, fourth on the goalkickers list for the club behind Bob Pratt, O'Loughlin and Barry Hall.
Premierships: 2 (2005, 2012)
Brownlow Medals: 2 (2003, 2006)
Career Brownlow votes: 162 including 30 best-afield performances (to end of 2014 season)
All-Australian: 4 (2003, 2006, 2009, 2011)
Sydney Swans co-captain: 2009-2012
* Goodes holds the VFL/AFL games record for the Sydney Swans, and has played more matches than any other indigenous player.
* Goodes also won the 1999 Rising Star Award, was named in the Indigenous Team of the Century and captained Australia in the International Rules Series.

From the beginning he has excelled.
Champion of the game.
Adam Goodes deserved to be carried off last night.
Best wishes Adam.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 21

So very sad that this couldn't have received the fanfare that it deserved though there is a possibility that Goodesy may not have wanted that anyway.
The man had a career that few could have dreamed of and has been a true ambassador for the code. I hope that Caro is wrong and he is not lost to the game forever.
Absolute champion. Congratulations.

Out and out champion footballer and human.

Some of the most impressive (and, as an opposition supporter, alarming!) performances I've seen.

Easy to forget the sheer mobility, explosiveness and poise of his long mid-career peak. Like a 191cm, 100kg Patrick Dangerfield.

Finished his career in a final, with a couple of goals and a nice lump of contested marks, and never lost that poise.

He's still a decent prospect of getting a couple of Brownlow votes this year, and I look forward to the small cheer that will get in the room on the night.

• Like 3

An excellent career that will largely be forgotten in comparison to the last couple of years circumstances.

Well done Goodesy, you were a pleasure to watch playing footy but acted like a real pillock at crucial moments.

• Like 1

Brilliant player who was cheated out of winning the 2003 Brownlow on his own by incomptent umpires.

In the last match of the season against us he absolutely tore us apart for the whole game.

Yet the umpires gave the 3 votes to Michael O'Loughlin in a forward pocket, who was taken from the field at 3/4 time with a hamstring injury and didn't return.

Goodes only got the 2 votes, but the 3 which he deserved would have won the Brownlow on his own, instead of sharing with Buckley and Ricciuto.

• Like 1

An excellent career that will largely be forgotten in comparison to the last couple of years circumstances.

Well done Goodesy, you were a pleasure to watch playing footy but acted like a real pillock at crucial moments.

Ugh... There's always gotta be one

• Like 1

Ugh... There's always gotta be one

You had better make that two. Goodes was an exceptional footballer and has rightly enjoyed the accolades of success but the cheap shots behind play and staging were unbecoming for a player of his talent. A bit like Joel Selwood and the head ducking that will taint his legacy on retirement

• Like 1

One of my favorite players. His power as a midfielder was extraordinary.

I will always remember how he hurt himself pretty badly early in the 2012 Grand Final after he was looking like winning the game by himself. He then played as a key forward, obviously hurt, to help his team. He had so much influence on that game, through sheer heart, and pretty much won them the premiership late in that game.

That shows you the character he had.

Plus his brave stand against some disturbing cultural issues, despite the personal blowback he would clearly suffer.

He's a great footballer and a great man. His low key retirement is undeserving of a person of his quality.

• Like 18

The only Dual Brownlow Medallist allowed by the AFL to be booed out of the game.

The rabble should be proud of themselves.

Wasnt in Longmires best 22 at the start of the year.

Yes he had a distinguished career but let's not forget the facts.

• Like 1

If any human being was ever perfectly designed to play our game, it was Adam Goodes.

Speed, size, power, endurance, and amazing skills. Could play ruck, midfield, key forward; inside or outside; strong in the air or when the ball hit the deck.

Gun.

• Like 3

His effort in the 2012 GF was incredible

Goodes had the perfect "Tank" for the Fwd line or the Back line

Personally i wish he had not been made Australian of the Year. I don't think any Sports Person should be that.

Scientists, Doctors or Fireman etc are the recipents of such awards.

Will be interesting to see what he does now

I am sure he is sweating on the MRP findings from last night

It was a pretty ordinary piece of play....

• Like 1

A legend of the game, plain and simple.

I have a high opinion of his behaviour off field, he has said many uncomfortable truths and applaud him for that.

He has though, despite his brilliance, often been an out and out [censored] on the field. Even in his last game, the way he lashed out at Scott (another [censored]) Thompson with his studs up was a terrible act and below his standing as a legend.

• Like 1

His effort in the 2012 GF was incredible

Goodes had the perfect "Tank" for the Fwd line or the Back line

Personally i wish he had not been made Australian of the Year. I don't think any Sports Person should be that.

Scientists, Doctors or Fireman etc are the recipents of such awards.

Will be interesting to see what he does now

I am sure he is sweating on the MRP findings from last night

It was a pretty ordinary piece of play....

He didn't get AOTY for his sporting achievements.

• Like 1